Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

Attachments

• 62E741C9-DEB8-4218-BED2-18D10F629DE9.png
    62E741C9-DEB8-4218-BED2-18D10F629DE9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 504

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like we're getting it Thursday

As mentioned here, we’ve adjusted our schedule to allow for further testing on console versions of the game. PC maintenance is taking place on December 11, and we're currently planning for console maintenance to begin on Thursday, December 13.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm taking a break, I've explored a large portion of the map, though admittedly there's a lot I've not discovered, but the bugs/glitches and empty map has sucked the fun out. Maybe I'll pick it back up in a week or two. Maybe I'll just delete it off my PS4 next month.

The latest issue: I fired up FO76 yesterday, and someone had set up their camp where my camp was. No big deal, I moved mine down the road so to speak. I plopped the building down, added my water purifiers, and was trying to attach the wires to the generators to the water purifiers (I have the generators on my building) and lo and behold, FO76 is telling my CAMP budget is exceeded and I cannot attach the wires.

Now, I'm not crafting, I'm re-adding the stuff that was stored because someone took my spot. I had it all set up before, but now the game is telling me I've exceeded my building budget :mad:

I tried re-adding my stored crops, and it worked. Attach a wire, nope, but I could 15 plants (5 of corn, mutfruit, tatos). Add two fence sections, you got it, but no wire.

Leaving the server, and quitting the game didn't help. I looked in my stored inventory, and I saw 14 corn, 14 mutfruit and 14 tatos, now I only planted 5 of each, so where did those extra 42 plants from? I scrapped them but to no avail. I also had two extra water purifiers in my inventory, I scrapped them. All that clean up didn't help :(

So prior issues with my camp saw my weapons workbench disappear, my vault-tex container disappear, but today I had a ton of stuff magically show up in my stored items

I shrunk my building a bit more, got rid of some turrets and now I can attach a stinking wire to the generator. What made this even more frustrating, is I actually removed 2 rooms from my building a couple of weeks ago, to really shrink the camp budget. I see other members having huge buildings, and my now smaller setup is exceeding budget?

Yesterday, I'm like, why am I getting frustrated, if this isn't fun, then stop playing it. So I did.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
We got my eldest thus for the holidays. It’s taken until this afternoon to get it functional. I’ll have to wait and see what he thinks of it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So any further thoughts on the game?

I've started it up here and there, but I'm not really playing that much. I'll probably get red dead redemption 2 and stop playing this game for a while.

Some of my observations:
Bethesda has been nerfing XP, item drops these past few updates, so moving up in level is much slower. Of course, as I'm at level 35, I see a bunch of level 75 - 100+ players who then spawn creatures at their level, i.e., I'm DOA in those areas. Item spawns seem ridicuisly slow, so if someone goes through an area, the place is devoid of anything useful

I'm finding a number of new players in the game, so that's a positive for game in of itself.

I struggled at finding some higher leveled weapons, but I'm changed the focus of my character (more melee focused) and that helped. I also crafted a decent weapon or two.

Ballistic fiber is the bane of my existence. You need it for all armor repairs, even though its not used in the creation of many armor types. There's only a handful of locations for said ballistic fiber and of course everyone goes there to grab it (see my slow item spawn complain). I've largely given up repairing my armor, and I'll just pick up what I find and use that. Drop it when it breaks.

Playing solo, I'm stuck going through the main quest until I advance further, but as I mentioned above, Bethesda nerfed that so progress has been slowed. Do I keep grinding away?

I know Bethesda is going to introduce new DLC in 2019, so maybe things will improve, but without human NPCs its a dead world. I still have to scratch my head at the logic Bethesda used. No bombs dropped in region and everyone survived the war, so much so government services largely survived. Yet now 25 years later the land is rife with ghouls, and scorched, how did they mutate when no nukes fell? in the 25 years, people formed raiders, created the Brotherhood of steel (horrible retcon if you ask me) and the responder factions but in a blink of an eye the scorched wiped them all out - just not good story telling if you have to ask me.

I've been trying to like the game, but it seems Bethesda keeps shooting themselves in the foot. The latest bad PR move by them is banning players, it seems some of them were just modders, and most others only had some gamecheat software runnining but it wasn't specific to FO76 (yeah I know its their word vs. Bethesda's). If they wanted to be unbanned, they had to submit a written essay on why cheating is bad. After that requirement went viral Bethesda back tracked, but the damage was done. They're generating more reasons to hate the game and themselves.

I see people complaining about griefers, and dupers, but Bethesda isn't addressing that, personally, I've not had any first hand issues with those folks, but I see people on the interweb complaining

Last edited:

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
For me, this is a game that I may revisit after six months and see what they've done to address issues but right now I am not even remotely interested in playing it. They had a winning template to build this game from in the form of ESO but for some reason chose to ignore it - I understand that Zenimax was the core developer behind ESO but Bethesda bought them so it is kind of a moot point.

I see what they tried to do, they tried to copy the ES franchise because ESO worked really, really well for that and instead of taking what they learned they decided to reinvent the wheel which is beyond perplexing.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
So any further thoughts on the game?

I've started it up here and there, but I'm not really playing that much. I'll probably get red dead redemption 2 and stop playing this game for a while.

Some of my observations:
Bethesda has been nerfing XP, item drops these past few updates, so moving up in level is much slower. Of course, as I'm at level 35, I see a bunch of level 75 - 100+ players who then spawn creatures at their level, i.e., I'm DOA in those areas. Item spawns seem ridicuisly slow, so if someone goes through an area, the place is devoid of anything useful

I'm finding a number of new players in the game, so that's a positive for game in of itself.

I struggled at finding some higher leveled weapons, but I'm changed the focus of my character (more melee focused) and that helped. I also crafted a decent weapon or two.

Ballistic fiber is the bane of my existence. You need it for all armor repairs, even though its not used in the creation of many armor types. There's only a handful of locations for said ballistic fiber and of course everyone goes there to grab it (see my slow item spawn complain). I've largely given up repairing my armor, and I'll just pick up what I find and use that. Drop it when it breaks.

Playing solo, I'm stuck going through the main quest until I advance further, but as I mentioned above, Bethesda nerfed that so progress has been slowed. Do I keep grinding away?

I know Bethesda is going to introduce new DLC in 2019, so maybe things will improve, but without human NPCs its a dead world. I still have to scratch my head at the logic Bethesda used. No bombs dropped in region and everyone survived the war, so much so government services largely survived. Yet now 25 years later the land is rife with ghouls, and scorched, how did they mutate when no nukes fell? in the 25 years, people formed raiders, created the Brotherhood of steel (horrible retcon if you ask me) and the responder factions but in a blink of an eye the scorched wiped them all out - just not good story telling if you have to ask me.

I've been trying to like the game, but it seems Bethesda keeps shooting themselves in the foot. The latest bad PR move by them is banning players, it seems some of them were just modders, and most others only had some gamecheat software runnining but it wasn't specific to FO76 (yeah I know its their word vs. Bethesda's). If they wanted to be unbanned, they had to submit a written essay on why cheating is bad. After that requirement went viral Bethesda back tracked, but the damage was done. They're generating more reasons to hate the game and themselves.

I see people complaining about griefers, and dupers, but Bethesda isn't addressing that, personally, I've not had any first hand issues with those folks, but I see people on the interweb complaining
So two nights ago I finally reached the last main story mission, I Am Death, collected all the codes and the keycard solo, and decided to attempt to launch the nuke solo. I’m a rank 48 so I thought it’d be doable. And it was, albeit I went through all my ammo (no 10mm, fusion cells, or .308) left, used close to 50 stimpaks, but I finally completed the mission and launched the nuke on my own without any help.

I was excited, that after four hours of playing this mission solo I had finally launched a nuke, then, as I was running towards the blast zone, about two minutes after the bomb went off, the server crashed.

Needless to say I was beyond irritated. I had went through all my resources and completed all the requisites and cleared most of the hostiles in the silo, and even launched the nuke in solo, and I am booted off the server? Like wtf? I didn’t get to go into the blast zone to collect any special resources for my hard work, or even get to save the video of my gameplay (once the game crashes I you can’t save any clips on PlayStation).

So I am fairly disheartened. I will continue to play it, to collect more resources and explore a lot of areas I haven’t gone to yet, but it’ll be a while before I attempt the final mission again. In the meantime I got Red Dead Redemption 2 for Christmas and I am loving that game, beautiful, bug-free gameplay with a seemingly in depth story.

I love my fallout Games, and I will continue playing Fallout 76, but if they expect us to play this game and enjoy it, they really need to work on the bugs.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I heard that's a fairly common experience sadly
I’ve had it once in a while (like once every 2-3 days that I play the game), but the timing ok this one just was terrible. Especially considering I wasted all my resources for one mission.

I think my biggest complaint of all, aside from the bugs, is just how much ammo it takes to defeat these enemies. You can have the highest rank combat shotgun you can use with mods, or a .308 sniper rifle, and it literally takes dozens of bullets to take down a reasonable ranked creature. In Fallout 4 alot of enemies could be brought down with 4-5 bullets (or less if you had a unique gun), but in Fallout 76 the combat is just too unwieldy to me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve had it once in a while
No I heard that people are getting kicked out at the end and losing out on the legendary loot. This seems to be happening quite a bit

how much ammo it takes to defeat these enemies.
Yeah, at level 35, I still cannot bring down a scorchbeast. My hunting rifle is a level 30 with a damage in the low hundreds and my rocketsledge being even more powerful does little damage to the creature

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
No I heard that people are getting kicked out at the end and losing out on the legendary loot. This seems to be happening quite a bit

Yeah, at level 35, I still cannot bring down a scorchbeast. My hunting rifle is a level 30 with a damage in the low hundreds and my rocketsledge being even more powerful does little damage to the creature
Yeah hopefully they adjust both of these over time rather than doing XP nerfs like you mentioned in your other post. It takes forever to rank up now, which means it takes longer to get good weapons and armor that you can use. I have a full suit of unique Power Armor I really want to use but I can’t use til I rank up to rank 50. at this rate I might as well take it out of my storage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The thing that irked me the most was that I was able to farm fusion cores from robobrains. They weren't an easy kill and getting a fusion core was kind of a nice reward. Now, you get squat and its totally not worth the expenditure of ammo.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
The thing that irked me the most was that I was able to farm fusion cores from robobrains. They weren't an easy kill and getting a fusion core was kind of a nice reward. Now, you get squat and its totally not worth the expenditure of ammo.
Yeah, I remember that was the case as well, and I remember thinking that'd probably get nerfed... unfortunately it feels that a lot of enemies are that way, you spend a lot of time and ammo on enemies and the rewards are pretty "meh". Fallout 4 didn't necessarily drop a lot more in regards to loot (except more legendary weapons), but at least you didn't have to use 25-50 10mm rounds to bring the enemy down.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I remember that was the case as well, and I remember thinking that'd probably get nerfed... unfortunately it feels that a lot of enemies are that way, you spend a lot of time and ammo on enemies and the rewards are pretty "meh". Fallout 4 didn't necessarily drop a lot more in regards to loot (except more legendary weapons), but at least you didn't have to use 25-50 10mm rounds to bring the enemy down.
It just seems to me that Bethesda is bending over backwards removing things in the game that made it enjoyable, and so far has not addressed short comings that frustrates many of us. To put it another way, Bethesda seems more interested in making this game more grindy and alienating the people have stuck with the game. They need to change the game to get more people to play it, not make the game less fun to play.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
It just seems to me that Bethesda is bending over backwards removing things in the game that made it enjoyable, and so far has not addressed short comings that frustrates many of us. To put it another way, Bethesda seems more interested in making this game more grindy and alienating the people have stuck with the game. They need to change the game to get more people to play it, not make the game less fun to play.

I got to the second to the last mission, and found that without people to play with, it was near impossible to achieve. That's when I finally had enough of this crappy game. I would try and try to get people to team up with me and would never get any response or at least they would never come to my area to help out. I had thought that Bethesda was all about teams in this new version, but for my hours and hours of gameplay, I found that it was pretty much a solo game, even though they made it online only.

Worst game of the year, IMO.

Currently playing Darksiders 3. Best game of the year, IMO.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got to the second to the last mission, and found that without people to play with, it was near impossible to achieve.
I suspected that as you progress to each new quest, its harder and harder to achieve solo. Bethesda really did design the game for group play and I think they misread their fans in that move. Most of us fallout fans, enjoy the RPG nature of fallout, yet now group play is foisted on is, and its all but required near endgame. The funny thing is, if you look at the map at any given time, it seems the vast majority of people are going at it solo. I have to believe Bethesda sees this, in their metrics they get, so here's hoping to them tweaking the game for us solo players.

I said above, that I've stopped playing through the quests until increase my level, but since that has been nerfed, its now a grind. Do I keep playing, i.e., just exploring and not doing any quests or bend over backwards to uplevel? Given that I seem to be averaging 20 minutes a week in the game (if that), I may just poke around in the game on occasion but that's about it.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I suspected that as you progress to each new quest, its harder and harder to achieve solo. Bethesda really did design the game for group play and I think they misread their fans in that move. Most of us fallout fans, enjoy the RPG nature of fallout, yet now group play is foisted on is, and its all but required near endgame. The funny thing is, if you look at the map at any given time, it seems the vast majority of people are going at it solo. I have to believe Bethesda sees this, in their metrics they get, so here's hoping to them tweaking the game for us solo players.

I said above, that I've stopped playing through the quests until increase my level, but since that has been nerfed, its now a grind. Do I keep playing, i.e., just exploring and not doing any quests or bend over backwards to uplevel? Given that I seem to be averaging 20 minutes a week in the game (if that), I may just poke around in the game on occasion but that's about it.
The reason I think most people play solo is because it is hard to find reliable teammates, who aren’t five year olds and who are not going to sabotage the missions, and the majority of those who have stuck through the hurricane of bad with this game are true dedicated fans of the franchise who want to see Bethesda improve the game to what it could be. Most of those people are used to playing solo in the previous games, and just play solo by sub-conscious choice in FO76.

I myself am just going to play the game as an exploration as I rank up ever so slowly. Following the main quest does leave a lot of areas in explored (I’ve hardly explored any of the top 1/3 of the map), so that leaves me with something to do, but honestly the main story quest is too hard if you’re below level 60 probably to do solo, certainly it is doable, but not worth it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The reason I think most people play solo is because it is hard to find reliable teammates,
I'm not so sure about that. I think many people who re fallout fans are used to single player and it seems that what I see on the bethesda forum, solo play is the preferred method. I know I'm biased because that's all I care about, but I think my perspective more mainstream and group play is more of the exception - just my $.02

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've given up on the game, and haven't returned.

I thought this video was spot on and while a cottage industry has sprung up slamming FO76, I think this is one of the better YTs that encapsulates all of the issues rather well.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I've given up on the game, and haven't returned.

I thought this video was spot on and while a cottage industry has sprung up slamming FO76, I think this is one of the better YTs that encapsulates all of the issues rather well.
Same here. As she said in #1, lack of NPC's ruined this game. I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Great game, even though it's not pure Assassin's Creed, like the previous version they put out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
lack of NPC's ruined this game.
Same I posted my concerns about that even before the game hit the streets. From time to time, i'll watch a YT video about the latest update but I've not played the game since the beginning of January.

The latest update like prior updates have been balancing the game, i.e., nerfing weapons, armor and loot drops. The latest update nerfed a number of perk cards making them less effective (armor based perks). I don't know how others feel, but this bothers me to no end, this nerfing makes the game so much more grindier (is that a word?) which drives out what little fun there is.

i just finished a playthrough of Fallout 4, and the difference between the two are so stark, its like night and day. The map in FO4 is small but so jam packed, where as FO76 is so expansive, but filled with mostly empty space.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Same I posted my concerns about that even before the game hit the streets. From time to time, i'll watch a YT video about the latest update but I've not played the game since the beginning of January.

The latest update like prior updates have been balancing the game, i.e., nerfing weapons, armor and loot drops. The latest update nerfed a number of perk cards making them less effective (armor based perks). I don't know how others feel, but this bothers me to no end, this nerfing makes the game so much more grindier (is that a word?) which drives out what little fun there is.

i just finished a playthrough of Fallout 4, and the difference between the two are so stark, its like night and day. The map in FO4 is small but so jam packed, where as FO76 is so expansive, but filled with mostly empty space.

I could not agree with this more - I too went back to FO4 and it is like night and day. I will not lie, with each update I hope to see that they somehow revamped the game to include a story, NPCs, and converted it to an optional co-op game - I can't see this ever happening but I do wish it would.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

After yesterday's patch to Fallout 76, I am taking a serious break from the game. They are making the game too plain, with no reward for grinding after the main story, and quite frankly the bugs are becoming unacceptable. I was playing for an hour yesterday and the game crashed 3 times... and each time I lost ammo and rewards related to the events I was trying to complete.

I will be finishing RDR2, and I recently also bought Witcher 3, so I will be playing those for a while. Maybe after I've played those for a few months (or longer, depending on time actually get to play), I will certainly give Fallout 76 another shot, but Bethesda needs to clean up their act in their game. Otherwise like you I will just be returning to Fallout 4 if I want to indulge in my favorite game experience.

Also, I should say I am keeping a keen eye on The Outer Worlds game. If that game holds any promise, this may be the Fallout-esque game that I will buying and spending my time in after its released and the reviews come in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.