Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Today at lunch time I decided to boot up Fallout 4, just for fun, and to get a feel for the game after playing (and abandoning) Fallout 76. The difference really is night and day. I forgot how much fun it was to interact with the NPCs, and to play in a smooth and immersive environment... I also forgot how much ammo I had, since a lot of the unique weapons I collected actually do damage and I don't have to blow through ammo just to get through a tiny piece of the map.

Going back to Fallout 4 really puts the Fallout 76 experience in perspective: right now that game is not immersive, and doesn't even give anything that drives you to keep playing. Oh and the sound track on Fallout 4 is way better, just saying.

Reactions: maflynn

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Today at lunch time I decided to boot up Fallout 4, just for fun, and to get a feel for the game after playing (and abandoning) Fallout 76. The difference really is night and day. I forgot how much fun it was to interact with the NPCs, and to play in a smooth and immersive environment... I also forgot how much ammo I had, since a lot of the unique weapons I collected actually do damage and I don't have to blow through ammo just to get through a tiny piece of the map.

Going back to Fallout 4 really puts the Fallout 76 experience in perspective: right now that game is not immersive, and doesn't even give anything that drives you to keep playing. Oh and the sound track on Fallout 4 is way better, just saying.
My stepson says they're all about the next Elder Scrolls and didn't put much into this game (even though they advertised it....wtf). I was soooooo looking forward to the next Fallout. Other than being "prettier," what a massive letdown.

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
My stepson says they're all about the next Elder Scrolls and didn't put much into this game (even though they advertised it....wtf). I was soooooo looking forward to the next Fallout. Other than being "prettier," what a massive letdown.
Agreed, here's hoping that the next Elder Scrolls games is more on par with their previous titles. They (and us the fans) sure need it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
After yesterday's patch to Fallout 76, I am taking a serious break from the game. They are making the game too plain, with no reward for grinding after the main story, and quite frankly the bugs are becoming unacceptable. I was playing for an hour yesterday and the game crashed 3 times... and each time I lost ammo and rewards related to the events I was trying to complete.
It seems many players are in all out revolt regarding this patch. Both for introducing new bugs, mistakenly rolling back prior patches, and for nerfing parts of the game that many people really enjoyed. Many people suspect they're doing this to slow the game down since new content is coming anytime soon (other then the PVP they mentioned)

Bethesda just can't get out of its own way, the game has been out for almost 3 months, has had a high number of patches and yet game play is worse then it was when they first ran the beta. Stability may have improved, but playing the game is worse imo.

After yesterday's patch to Fallout 76, I am taking a serious break from the game.
I'm all but done myself.

Going back to Fallout 4 really puts the Fallout 76 experience in perspective
OMG, isn't it. I can't believe how immersive FO4, mostly because of the human NPCs but also because of the story, the main quest and myriad of side quests.

I will be finishing RDR2
I think that's the game I'm probably going to be getting next though there are a couple of games coming out in 2019 that seem to be piquing my interest. I'll look for a discount copy of RDR2 and fire that up soon.

My stepson says they're all about the next Elder Scrolls
There was one rumor that they were working hard to pushing this out for 2019, I think many people uttered a collective groan when that rumor hit. The last thing we need is another rushed title out from Bethesda. They burned up all of their good will/reputation.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just saw this yesterday too. Lol.

I am thinking of starting a stealth/luck character-build playthrough in Fallout 4, it’s one of the builds I have never tried, and it always looked pretty fun.
I'm travleing and I decided to pick up FO4 on steam to play on my laptop. Its enjoyable in a couple of ways, first because the controls are now keyboard/mouse based. It feels like a new game because I have to go slower then I have on the PS4. One negative is that its less stable, I'm needing to save often because it has crashed a couple of times.

Overall, Bethesda got it right imo, with FO4, I know a lot of long time Fallout fans would disagree, but I like it. Now compare that with FO76 and that game is almost universally hated. The longer Bethesda has problems, like the bugs, lack of real content and nerfing the game. The more likely I feel that the game is headed for failure and will be shut down as the player base will have shrunk too much

Hindsight is 20-20, but I do wonder if they chose to make FO76 free to play and have a more immersive store, things could have gone over better Just look at what EA did with Apex Legends, its free to play, and I think it surprised everyone and seems to be not only popular but a good game. Its not my cup of team, but you can't help but see the difference Apex vs. FO76

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm travleing and I decided to pick up FO4 on steam to play on my laptop. Its enjoyable in a couple of ways, first because the controls are now keyboard/mouse based. It feels like a new game because I have to go slower then I have on the PS4. One negative is that its less stable, I'm needing to save often because it has crashed a couple of times.

Overall, Bethesda got it right imo, with FO4, I know a lot of long time Fallout fans would disagree, but I like it. Now compare that with FO76 and that game is almost universally hated. The longer Bethesda has problems, like the bugs, lack of real content and nerfing the game. The more likely I feel that the game is headed for failure and will be shut down as the player base will have shrunk too much

Hindsight is 20-20, but I do wonder if they chose to make FO76 free to play and have a more immersive store, things could have gone over better Just look at what EA did with Apex Legends, its free to play, and I think it surprised everyone and seems to be not only popular but a good game. Its not my cup of team, but you can't help but see the difference Apex vs. FO76
I have never played any games PC before, but my goal is to one day build a PC, or buy an eGPU for my MacBook Pro to run in Windows gaming. I have some friends who play on PC, and I have always been fascinated with the idea of playing with keyboard and mouse instead of a controller, as well as the idea of being able to adjust the visual settings to higher graphics if you have a machine with a powerful enough GPU.

Stability on Fallout 4 still crashes for me on PS4 once and a while, so I am in the habit of saving the game. Question, are you playing this on the Lenovo that you just got?

I agree with your idea that if Fallout 76 was released as a free-to-play then the game would have had a better chance of reaching its full potential. Two reasons, one being that people wouldn't be as frustrated with the idea that their $60 investment into the game was not worth it, and 2, players would be able to come and go as the game improved, without as much bad publicity initially for the bugs and issues.

I was late to the Fallout and Bethesda band wagon, so I have never understood the hate that some people had for Fallout 4. Honestly to me it was a well fleshed out game that was thoroughly fun. There is plenty of choices to build your character with, and lots of story telling to be found. I mean it is just an all around fun game to play. Oh and some of the DLC content for that game, especially Far Harbor, are pretty awesome as well.

I hope one day they are able to make Fallout 76 a game worth revisiting, like No Man's Sky supposedly is, but I am not holding my breath for that one. I think Starfield will be more telling of how Bethesda is able to come back from this game as a whole to redeem themselves to the many many fans that have felt left in the dust with Fallout 76 and the issues it has had.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I just played this on launch expecting to be as great as FO4; never booted the game again. I´ll try to go back this weekend but I´m getting either Metro Exodus or Far cry new dawn. perhaps its time to delete F076

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
think of Metro Exodus, i
I'm tempted to get this game as well.

Interesting video, the author is a bit annoying, at least to me, but I find his arguments to be sound.
Except for the bugs, FO76 is exactly what Bethesda wanted.

Skip to 5:55 into the video, the first 5 minutes are annoying as anything.

The author builds upon another YTer who stated in Fallout 4, the game boils down to Exploration->Combat->Gather. You constantly repeat that cycle. He goes on to make the point this design w/o any RPG is exactly what wanted in Fallout 76. The difference is that in FO4, you have human NPC interactions, and side stories which for me is important.

I have to agree with his thesis on one level because it does make sense.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I fired up FO76, for the first time in I think a month a half, to see if there's anything I'm missing or I would want to do. I poked around there for about 10 minutes and left.
Initial thoughts while I was there. I poked around about three servers because I had a specific location for my camp and evidently others like that location.

1. There's more people there playing then I thought would be - I guess that's a good thing for Bethesda. I saw a healthy mixture of brand new players and high level players.
2. even with a lot of players the world still feels empty.
3. While Bethesda wanted to see more people playing in groups, the three servers I was on all appeared to be single plays (all people were alone and spread throughout the world).
4. There's not much to do, unless you're doing a quest. I was stuck at doing the brotherhood quest, not being a high enough level, but not really wanting to grind to level up.

So the game may have found an audience and that's great, but I can't see myself being part of that audience.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is going for £12.99 on CD Keys. Would you guys recommended it for even that price?
It depends on what you're looking for.

I think many Fallout fans who were eagerly waiting for fallout 5 were bitterly disappointed in 76 because 76 is not fallout 5, but rather fallout 4 online. I said this above, like Fallout 4 with the human NPCs, the game is Exploration->Combat->Gather. There really isn't any RPG in the game, and currently no PVP.

Like I said, I was surprised to see so many people on the servers on 02/16, so the game is reaching a segment of gamers and they're liking it. I had my concerns about this game, from day 1 (or at least when I heard it was going to be co-op/online with no human NPCs) I gave Fallout 76 a chance but I count myself in the group of people that wanted a fallout 5. There were just too many short comings for the game for me and I'm done with it. For £12.99, it probably couldn't hurt to try

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just got a "we missed you" type email.

I may jump back into the game to see how the game has evolved.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I just got a "we missed you" type email.

I may jump back into the game to see how the game has evolved.
Storyline wise, from what I’ve heard it’s about the same. Bug wise it supposedly has gotten better but I haven’t logged in in at least two months so I can’t tell you much beyond the news I’ve seen.

On a side note, I actually have been playing Fallout 4 on my MBP in bootcamp with an eGPU and having quite a bit of fun doing another play-through with better graphics than my PS4.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Bethesda rolled out a subscription service called Fallout First, and in true Fallout76, the bugs of that service is mind-numbing.
For 13 dollars a month of 100 a year, you get the following benefits:
1572001886215.png

Yet bugs are being reported that people are even unable to buy the subscription service. If that wasn't bad enough the unlimited scrapbox is being reported to be glitched in such a way that it consumes all of your junk, that is, you lose anything and everything you put into it.

The private world server looks interesting but again in true Bethesda fashion, its been gimped to a large degree that decreases any possible enjoyment.

I've not played this game for several months and to be honest, its probably getting removed to make space for Outer Worlds.

Two items that seemed to really piss off the FO76 crowd, first is the wastelanders expansion was delayed, this is where Bethesda introduced actual human NPCs, and in its place they rolled out a subscription service. It seems timed to muddle or dimish the Outer Worlds rollout this week, yet I think its having the opposite effect as the review there are positive. I think Bethesda may be driving people towards that game not away

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Looks like Bethesda rolled out a subscription service called Fallout First, and in true Fallout76, the bugs of that service is mind-numbing.
For 13 dollars a month of 100 a year, you get the following benefits:
View attachment 872307

Yet bugs are being reported that people are even unable to buy the subscription service. If that wasn't bad enough the unlimited scrapbox is being reported to be glitched in such a way that it consumes all of your junk, that is, you lose anything and everything you put into it.

The private world server looks interesting but again in true Bethesda fashion, its been gimped to a large degree that decreases any possible enjoyment.

I've not played this game for several months and to be honest, its probably getting removed to make space for Outer Worlds.

Two items that seemed to really piss off the FO76 crowd, first is the wastelanders expansion was delayed, this is where Bethesda introduced actual human NPCs, and in its place they rolled out a subscription service. It seems timed to muddle or dimish the Outer Worlds rollout this week, yet I think its having the opposite effect as the review there are positive. I think Bethesda may be driving people towards that game not away
Yeah, it certainly is having the opposite effect. I was actually playing it up until about March this year, after which I got fed up with the game crashing bugs.

the thing that bothers me most is sooo many game developers have moved or are moving to a in-game microtransactions or subscription models. The justification is that is either it’s what the players want, or it’s a way to help the devs continue to support additional content in the game. Both are just excuses to cover greed.

i have no problem supporting game developers by purchasing well made DLC expansions, that actually expand the in game experience, but I refuse to spend money on micro transactions or subscription models for one game. In fact I’m getting quite tired of everyone and their mom jumping on the subscription service model.

Outer Worlds reviews have been raving lately and I am seriously considering buying it at full price, as it looks like the Fallout RPG that we really wanted from Bethesda.

I still love my pre-Fallout 76 Bethesda games (just finished Fallout 3 on PC), and I truly hope they redeem themselves with Starfield and ES6, but I will not be an early adopter of those games when they first come out. I will wait til we see reviews of the true colors of those games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.