Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Exactly. I have the 38, my mom got the 42. I have very small wrists, my mom I'd say has average size wrists for a woman. The 42 looks very good on my mom. I wish I could wear the 42, because the bigger screen is easier to see, but it's physically just too big for my wrist. I kind of envy the OP because she can use the 42! I agree with everyone else that a 42 Milanese Loop would work well for the OP, it's the leather loop that's making it look unfeminine, not the watch size. Too bad that there is such a long wait for the watch and bands, a lot of this doubt and uncertainty could be avoided if OP could see all sizes and bands at once.

Thanks Night Spring.# The app says the Milanese loop wouldn't be able to ship till July.#

amcalexa

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Midwest US
A lot of men have told me to go with the 42mm only a few women. So did you get the Milanese for the 42mm? When I look in the store app it says that band won't ship til July.

I'm a woman, and I have a 38mm SS lt pink medium modern buckle. I also have been eyeing the ML as well as the Link Bracelet. (I've worn a stretch link bracelet on a Seiko Micky watch for over 22 years prior to getting the Apple Watch.)

I have tiny wrists, but am also chubby. Because my wrist bones are so small, I opted for the 38 and this is the right choice for me. I'd love to have the 42, but think it would overpower my wrist. Although my bone is small, because of the extra flesh I have on my wrist, I have the med buckle on the loosest hole, and that just barely works for me. One hole tighter and it squishes the skin, even though it has plenty of give on the wrist bone itself.

Looking at your wrist, and knowing what I've learned about fit, I'd recommend keeping the 42 order with the ML and trying it before you make a final decision. From your picture, I agree that the ML just barely fits, with not much room to spare. I don't think I'd want the magnet/clasp so visible in the front next to the watch face if it were mine. The bigger watch face and slightly wider/longer band might give you the perfect fit you're looking for. It's at least worth trying.

As several have mentioned, if you're not able to return the earlier watch (which they still may let you do if it's in great condition when you receive the later watch and you talk to the right person about it), you can probably pretty easily sell it on ebay, Craigslist, or through word of mouth. :)

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I hope Apple creates an XL band. I will buy all of the sport colors!

Same problem here. I tried the Watch at the store and the sport band fits on the last hole, but it's uncomfortably tight. I tried and order a leather loop. It's very expensive for what it is (the leather looks very artificial IMHO), but it fits much better and is easier to adjust between tight and loose.
Likewise, the 42mm looks small on my wrist, I would have definitely gone for a larger option, like a 46mm, with the improved battery life and screen size as a bonus.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
I'm a woman, and I have a 38mm SS lt pink medium modern buckle. I also have been eyeing the ML as well as the Link Bracelet. (I've worn a stretch link bracelet on a Seiko Micky watch for over 22 years prior to getting the Apple Watch.)

I have tiny wrists, but am also chubby. Because my wrist bones are so small, I opted for the 38 and this is the right choice for me. I'd love to have the 42, but think it would overpower my wrist. Although my bone is small, because of the extra flesh I have on my wrist, I have the med buckle on the loosest hole, and that just barely works for me. One hole tighter and it squishes the skin, even though it has plenty of give on the wrist bone itself.

Looking at your wrist, and knowing what I've learned about fit, I'd recommend keeping the 42 order with the ML and trying it before you make a final decision. From your picture, I agree that the ML just barely fits, with not much room to spare. I don't think I'd want the magnet/clasp so visible in the front next to the watch face if it were mine. The bigger watch face and slightly wider/longer band might give you the perfect fit you're looking for. It's at least worth trying.

As several have mentioned, if you're not able to return the earlier watch (which they still may let you do if it's in great condition when you receive the later watch and you talk to the right person about it), you can probably pretty easily sell it on ebay, Craigslist, or through word of mouth. :)

I have had people tell me they would buy the 38mm from me, but they don't want to pay what I did. I'm calling the supervisor I already talked to to see about a return.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Tried to do a band exchange of the Leather Loop for Milanese Loop. They said it doesn't qualify. But I could return the Leather Loop watch and place a whole new order for the 42mm with Milanese Loop. And by the way, it won't ship til July. Oh yippee! Thank you Apple.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Tried to do a band exchange of the Leather Loop for Milanese Loop. They said it doesn't qualify. But I could return the Leather Loop watch and place a whole new order for the 42mm with Milanese Loop. And by the way, it won't ship til July. Oh yippee! Thank you Apple.

I was able to buy a 42mm ML band in my local store yesterday. They had them in stock.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Where do you live? I called an Apple Store in my area, and all they have are sport bands.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Where do you live? I called an Apple Store in my area, and all they have are sport bands.

I went to the Apple Store in Christiana Mall in Newark, DE. A very high volume store. Plus no sales tax.

The sport bands (all sizes and colors it appeared) were out on display. I had to ask a salesman for the ML band which they had in the back. Not sure what else they had.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
I called all the stores in the state where I live, and all they have are Sports Bands.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Just got a call from an Apple supervisor about trying to do a band exchange on the leather loop for a Milanese. Apparently it doesn't qualify. He is going to look into it as he doesn't see why it shouldn't qualify.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Just got a call from an Apple supervisor about trying to do a band exchange on the leather loop for a Milanese. Apparently it doesn't qualify. He is going to look into it as he doesn't see why it shouldn't qualify.

Weird they won't let you, cost is the same right? I though you could exchange for even more expensive bands/straps.

amcalexa

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Midwest US

I originally purchased mine with the lt pink Modern Buckle and wanted at least one alternative, so I tried on bands in the Indianapolis store today.

I bought a (38mm, blue) Sport Band because I thought it would be a good idea to have one of these and they had them in stock. I also tried on the Milanese Loop and the Link. The Link was what I really thought I wanted originally, but when I saw the price difference when I was pre-ordering my watch, I decided to wait and try one on before buying.

The Link looked and fit great, but was way too heavy -- Like, really, really heavy on my wrist. So I decided on the Milanese Loop (it's wonderful) and was going to buy one if they had it. They said they'd had them in stock for awhile this week, but just sold out of them yesterday. They were expecting more as early as later this afternoon, so I'll either check back later this week or buy one online.

I love the look of my Modern Buckle, but the buckle sticks out more than I like and gets in the way when I'm using my laptop, and the ML is lower profile so should help with that.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
I originally purchased mine with the lt pink Modern Buckle and wanted at least one alternative, so I tried on bands in the Indianapolis store today.

I bought a (38mm, blue) Sport Band because I thought it would be a good idea to have one of these and they had them in stock. I also tried on the Milanese Loop and the Link. The Link was what I really thought I wanted originally, but when I saw the price difference when I was pre-ordering my watch, I decided to wait and try one on before buying.

The Link looked and fit great, but was way too heavy -- Like, really, really heavy on my wrist. So I decided on the Milanese Loop (it's wonderful) and was going to buy one if they had it. They said they'd had them in stock for awhile this week, but just sold out of them yesterday. They were expecting more as early as later this afternoon, so I'll either check back later this week or buy one online.

I love the look of my Modern Buckle, but the buckle sticks out more than I like and gets in the way when I'm using my laptop, and the ML is lower profile so should help with that.

I hope can get your Milanese Loop too.

QueenBeeMa

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
I went into an Apple store to look at bands, and all they had on the shelves were sports bands. I told the clerk I was really hoping to get a classic buckle, and he said, "Just let me check in the back." Lo and behold, they had one.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't put all the bands out on the shelves, or maybe they just got a shipment that day. But if you don't see what you want in the store, it may be a good idea to ask.

p.s. I love my Milanese Loop, but love the classic buckle as well. It's very light and classy looking.

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
just get one of those click adapters and buy your own bands. Bands have been around and I'm sure u can find a nice one that will fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.