Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

priscilla55

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Falkirk, Scotland
If I'm seeing your pictures correctly and its not the angle of the shot, I think you'll find it better to wear your watch further up your arm (to the left of your wrist knuckle) If you wear it that low, you may have all sorts of problems such as accidentally activating the crown when you bend your hand, strap getting loose from being in such an active area, HR monitor not being accurate) Your choice of course, but I think Apple intend it to be higher.

I'm also going to say that I prefer the 38mm (but I'm biased probably because that is what I have!)

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
If I'm seeing your pictures correctly and its not the angle of the shot, I think you'll find it better to wear your watch further up your arm (to the left of your wrist knuckle) If you wear it that low, you may have all sorts of problems such as accidentally activating the crown when you bend your hand, strap getting loose from being in such an active area, HR monitor not being accurate) Your choice of course, but I think Apple intend it to be higher.

I'm also going to say that I prefer the 38mm (but I'm biased probably because that is what I have!)

I risk sounding disrespectful here but I'll say it anyway; I don't think the strap would fit further up her arm, certainly not the Milanese loop.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013

I can slide it down, but it doesn't feel right. It isn't tight, just feels weird like it isn't where it should be. But thanks for your input.#

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I think the 42mm with the ML would be better. I like that 42, but the leather band takes away the elegance. Is the modern buckle an option?

Jmona

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Hey Teach4!
Good to see another kick butt woman representing!
So, I don't have the time to read through all the comments but I did skim through the first few pages.
First of all, watch looks good on you!##
Second of all, I would wear it for the trial period and before the 14 days are over (I think the return policy for online orders is actually 30 days, you'd have to call apple and ask!) wear the heck out of it and see how this few days go. If you still feel like it might be too small, keep the 42mm and sell this one.
But. Imho, instead of focusing on what everyone is saying here, too small, too tight, etc... Won't you get online one of those Hoco bands that you can adjust to your size? That way, you get to keep the daintiness of the watch face with a band that isn't too snugged?
If you can afford the Hoco band with the adapter which is somewhere between $20-50 depending on if you care much for brands, I think you should give it a try. You have 14-30 days to make a decision and even better yet. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY. You don't need our approval. If it were for that, remember none of us would have an Apple Watch today.
Many hate it, many hate the iPhone's or Apple over all.
The world is driven by all kinds of people and sadly you will find those that have a nasty opinion to give.
My experience, whatever makes YOU happy is what works best and so long as you're comfortable and confident, you rock the crap out of this watch and forget everyone's opinion because ultimately yours is the one that matters alone! ###

LIOC

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
IMHO, it not that the watch face is too small on the 38mm, but the band. I would rather have a band that fit "correctly" with a slightly larger face then a smaller face with an tight looking band.

Maybe look at 3rd party adapters and buy a longer band for the 38mm

Last edited:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I say Keep your 38 and maybe look at the modern buckle if you want a different band. The Milanese on the 42 still makes the face look that big and the band really isn't too tight, it's how it will look on the 42 as well. It's just how the mesh sits. It's not a thick material or band.

I say give the modern band a shot and if you got the money, maybe get a link.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I don't know why Apple doesn't offer the same straps in both sizes, the leather loop + 38mm model would have worked great for her.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Thanks again for all the opinions. The Milanese band for the 42mm wouldn't ship til July. I need to decide before then.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
After many years :p

one could argue the 18 months has been good in the toy department.

This year my purchases have been out of control.
15" MBP, 3 5s, 6, 6plus and 3 128G ipad air 2. not to mention a 38 and 42 with leather bands on the apple side, not incliding the pc sdie. Inheriting children is expensive nowadays.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
Wore the 42mm all day today. People at work told me they liked the look of the 38mm better. I need to decide what to do. You can't have two watches paired to your iPhone I found out. I am having a hard time deciding now.

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Wore the 42mm all day today. People at work told me they liked the look of the 38mm better. I need to decide what to do. You can't have two watches paired to your iPhone I found out. I am having a hard time deciding now.

Which one do you like the look of? Go with the one you feel more comfortable with. Which one would you regret returning?

The only opinions that matter are those of people you respect and/or like.

wanderfowl

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Michigan, US

Do you need more battery life than the 38 was giving? That's the only functional difference.

And if you're on the fence despite that, return the 42 and have a nice evening out with the $50 you saved.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2013
I say Keep your 38 and maybe look at the modern buckle if you want a different band. The Milanese on the 42 still makes the face look that big and the band really isn't too tight, it's how it will look on the 42 as well. It's just how the mesh sits. It's not a thick material or band.

I say give the modern band a shot and if you got the money, maybe get a link.

So am I understanding you, you don't the 42mm with the Milanese loop band for it? I don't think the modern band would work on my wrist.

ATS

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
North Carolina
The 38 looks too small and the band is way too constricting on your wrist. This is just my honest opinion in my 40+ years of wearing watches. Ultimately you're the one that has to make the decision that's best for you. Enjoy your Apple Watch!

FourOhFour

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011

I'd weigh the opinion of people who have seen both watches on you in person over any of us on teh intarwebs. Photos can be deceptive.

Or just flip a coin. If you're having trouble deciding, you'll probably be happy either way.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I'd have to agree with the majority opinion here and say that I think the 38mm looks too small in your photos.

But in reality the choice is entirely yours to make and nobody else's. If you feel more comfortable with the 38mm then that is the one that you should keep.

For me even the 42mm is small but for my mother it happens to be perfect.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
I'd weigh the opinion of people who have seen both watches on you in person over any of us on teh intarwebs. Photos can be deceptive.

Or just flip a coin. If you're having trouble deciding, you'll probably be happy either way.

I agree with this post 100%. Very probably, the only reason the OP is having trouble deciding now is because people here (myself included) have told her the 42mm would likely look better. Her opening post was glowing about the 38mm, she loved it, and we've made her doubt her choice. :eek:

Frankly, after seeing the pictures of the 42mm on her wrist, I think the 38mm looks better. However I could be reacting negatively to the leather band. I think it looks pretty masculine, and while that's a look I've rocked a time or two, it's not my current style. The OP seems to prefer a more feminine look as well, and the leather loop isn't going to provide that.

Tanmay

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011

I think they might mean the milanese looks much better than the leather. Personally I feel the 42mm fits better on you. I'd say keep the 42mm and then you will have options to change and try different bands later and see which look better.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010

Why would you want to pair em both? You actually plan on keeping both the watches?

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
So am I understanding you, you don't the 42mm with the Milanese loop band for it? I don't think the modern band would work on my wrist.

The 42mm watch head will still look that big. The 42mm has a longer band but that's all you will gain. Isn't the modern buckle by size? Will the large size fit? The choice is yours obviously. Go with the look you feel best looks with your look. i think the 38 looks better on females that want the elegant look.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I'm not keen on the leather loop, but I think the 42 with a ML would work beautifully. You could band swap through Apple for a ML. That's one of the choices they offer for the swap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.