Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Lacero said:
The shuffle could use faster transfer speed, longer battery life and perhaps a little shorter than it is now. Oh also, maybe rounder curves like the nano.

Rounded edges would be good. Not sure why they brought back the sharp top edge on the new 5G ipods that were last seen on the 2G version...maybe so they could round it off again when the 6G rolls out?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
m-dogg said:
I'm curious why you feel that way? I think the shuffle serves it's purpose well. I have one with a sport/workout playlist that never really gets changed and I use it whenever I'm doing anything active. Super lightweight, no screen to accidentally get scratched and no high price tag to make you worry about it breaking.
Yeah, the shuffle definitely has its place. You don't hear about people suing Apple over scratched screens on the Shuffle...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
syklee26 said:
imagine someone inexplicably trying to swallow shuffle and then choke to death...."I thought it was kitkat"

Apple had a disclaim on their site when showign it near gum

*Do not eat iPod SHuffle

but really who ever is going to eat an iPod should not be allowed to have one!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Apple might make a completely water and sweat-proof shuffle with the controls under some membrane or part of the shuffle body. Other than battery life, making it sweat proof would be my number one request.

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
I love my shuffle! Other then a 60gb 5G (which I'd love to have) my 1gb shuffle fits me the best. I just make it my greatest hits chart, and it goes around my neck when I go places. The necklace is the genious behind it!

jMini

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
QCassidy352 said:
The shuffle is wonderful for working out - waaaay better than a nano for that purpose.

Just wondering what makes you say that? My girlfriend said she'd buy me a nano for christmas :)D), but i was planning on using it most at the gym!!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I hope it does come with better grippy slide thingy... and smaller would be better. Do you think the size would be 1GB and 2GB? $99 and $149?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
kainjow said:
I hope it does come with better grippy slide thingy... and smaller would be better. Do you think the size would be 1GB and 2GB? $99 and $149?

No i doubt it would hurt the Nano(i know people will say Nano and SHuffle are 2 different markets but it would still hurt sales from the Nano!

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I second the idea of a 'titanium' (or just silver-colored) shuffle instead of black. Blind joggers and drivers on your morning run :D; makes a great reflector for running at night too.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Might as well have it black to match the rest of the lineup. Display...meh. I only really use the shuffle as a music player when I don't have my full size with me (I always have the shuffle in my bookbag for flash drive use). A display would be neat, but frankly the only time I ever need it is for "what's this song playing now?" which I think would be more practically accomplished via some sort of audio feedback (e.g. press play for 3 sec, song volume drops to half and voice announces song name, album and artist, then volume resumes at full).

Danksi said:
Smaller - Narrower would be good, as I understand it doesn't fit some machines, particularly an iBook, that already has a USB mouse plugged in.

That would be nice. I love using the shuffle with the PCs that are all over campus, unfortunately almost all of them are Gateway E-Series which have a completely useless bar in the middle of the front panel that prevents access to the frontside USB ports from mostly anything but a cord. Gah!

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I recently received (for free, long story) both a video iPod and a 512 mb Shuffle iPod.

Which one do I use every day? Mr. Shuffles! It's so easy. So uncluttered. So simple. I love not looking at a screen and just pressing the buttons without looking. It's wonderufl for walks and just being out and about. I think of as being akin to a portable CD player but much better. Like a portable CD player there is no screen but you generally have an idea of what's on deck, but the obvious advantage is the size (it's feather light) and that it holds a lot more than a CD player.

My hopes for revision:
Smaller
Rubberized Grip
Lanyward/headphones combo

But as is, I love it!

(And I'm no novice user. I've had lots of iPods, I've got about 4,000 tracks on my computer, I know the advantages of the video iPod)

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
A black shuffle would be pretty cool. I think white would still look better, but black would be nice. Or! How about Apple comes back with the mutli-color iPods? :D People would love colored shuffles... I myself would like a lime green one.

JoshH

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
I've always thought the Shuffle would be a perfect candidate for an OLED display... much like the Sony NWE-507 (catchy name). No need for an official display for navigation, just key song information.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
The only 2 things the Shuffle needs are

1. Click wheel esk buttons and
2.Faster transfer speeds...Firewire anyone?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Another factor in Shuffle's favor: it's the closest to wireless that an iPod will ever be.

You do have to plug it in (as iPods will always need, for charging). But you don't need a cord, adapter, dock or anything but the iPod itself.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
reberto said:

1. Click wheel esk buttons and

If Apple isn't even using FireWire for 5G iPods, I don't think they'll consider using it for anything else. Personally, I don't think the Shuffle needs anything more than a better battery life (but black Shuffles would probably be really cool). As long as they have great sound quality and are nigh invincible, I will continue to love them. I use mine more than I've ever used my iPod Mini, which completely stopped working last week and needs to be sent in for repair under warranty.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
a Firewire shuffle would totally defeat its purpose as a flash drive and most of its market, since most PCs still don't have Firewire ports. but, I know my friend's 4g iPod syncs much faster via USB with my computer than my shuffle does. so I don't need Firewire, but I do want that blazing fast speed.

what would be really badass is if they could get an OLED display that only appears when it's needed, otherwise it totally disappears so you can't even tell it's there. when the song changes or when you push a button, black lettering appears on the white or white on the black. well I guess you'd need to use LCD for the white, to get that black going. it'd also be nice to get a switch that can be operated with gloves on, and earphones with a cord that doesn't freeze in sub-0 temperatures. (yeah, I live in Canada.) please not rubberized though, that would ruin the whole look of the thing.

hey, idea coming here... give the Shuffle infrared and it can double as an Apple Remote.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
syklee26 said:
imagine someone inexplicably trying to swallow shuffle and then choke to death...."I thought it was kitkat"

darwin.gif

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I definately agree the Shuffle has its uses. I've got a nano and a 60GB 5G, but the fact that I can use allocate half (or as much as you need!) of the memory on a shuffle for data storage purposes is a great thing. Also the audio quality of such as small player is always worth mentioning as it humbled my old Mini.
True, no screen, but then thats why its a shuffle - surely a screen would mean a rebranding?
I'm not too fazed about the colour, but smaller is a definately bonus. With my iPod addiction I'll probably end up getting one!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
reberto said:

More upload in 240 songs max one can use a USB , if the sold a FireWire people would buy the wrong one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.