Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xjebbx

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
thinner

Danksi said:
Smaller - Narrower would be good, as I understand it doesn't fit some machines, particularly an iBook, that already has a USB mouse plugged in.

being an ibook user this would help me out allot i have some thing in almost every port so its a pain to have to tae them all out just for my shuffle or plug yo my 15 foot usb extention.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
reberto said:
The only 2 things the Shuffle needs are

1. Click wheel esk buttons and
2.Faster transfer speeds...Firewire anyone?

I think the current controls are great. You can feel you way around them without looking (pocket) - the click wheels would defeat this purpose right?

Perhaps the slider switch on the back could have a raised part to allow feel of that as well.

Instantanious xfer of files would be great - I've set mine up to convert to 128AAC on the fly, so it's a lot slower than simply xferring the original 192K MP3 files - good excuse for a cuppa tea. :)

severussancio

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Apple Branded Jump Drive

I'm definitely looking forward to a larger-capacity black iPod Shuffle, more so to use as an Apple branded Jump Drive than anything else. Sure, I may use it for music (would rather just use the new RAZR V3i when it's released), but I transport a lot of files between computers as an administrator and consultant, so it's a good buy for me.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If Apple wants to keep the shuffle in their lineup, they will have to give it regular updates, if for no other reason than to increase the capacity as memory becomes cheaper over time.

If they come out with black shuffles, then when you buy a shuffle I think you should get a randomly selected color (either black or white) rather than getting to choose a specific one. That fits the shuffle concept!

January of '06? And miss the Holiday Season? Sounds silly to me.

But a black one with a rubberized texture like the Motorola Pebble phone would be very nice. I think the Sony Bean looks a lot more desirable than the shuffle, just not worth the extra $$ and there's no iTunes..

Meanwhile, I'm in the market to by my daughter a used one..

iHavenolife

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2005
Great Lakes Region
jayscheuerle said:
January of '06? And miss the Holiday Season? Sounds silly to me.

But a black one with a rubberized texture like the Motorola Pebble phone would be very nice.

Apple misses the holiday season a lot because Macworld is right after it is over. Also I agree with the Pebble coment.:)

iHavenolife said:
Apple misses the holiday season a lot because Macworld is right after it is over. Also I agree with the Pebble coment.:)

Sure, but do you think they're going to wait to release a new Shuffle for holiday buyers in order to unveil it at MACWORLD?

It's a Shuffle for Chrissakes! It's the closest thing Apple has to a disposable product. I can see it now... Steve wraps up introducing the Intel Minis and... there's on more thing... "We've listened to a lot of people and we think we're about to give you what you've been wanting. Introducing... the New iPod Shuffle... in Black.. and it's shipping TODAY. This is a REALLY great product, one that we're really proud of here. And here's Jonathan Ive to tell us just what it took to make the Shuffle so dark. Jonathan?.."

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Apple needs to shrink the shuffle down and make it into a form factor that one can simply place on/in the ear like a hearing aide... ultimate portability. ;)

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Koodauw said:
I wish the shuffle would just go away.

I absolutely LOVE my shuffle; I can take it anywhere I want and I don't have to worry about what I'm doing. It's complete versatility allows me complete versatility. :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
reberto said:
The only 2 things the Shuffle needs are

1. Click wheel esk buttons and
2.Faster transfer speeds...Firewire anyone?

The transfer speed of the current iPod shuffle is a function of the write speed of the flash memory NOT USB or Firewire transfer speeds. The write speed is a bit faster than USB 1.1 but much much slower than USB 2.0, moving it over to firewire will not make a lick of difference.

The nano uses flash memory with much faster write speeds and as such loads music about as fast as the previous HDD based iPod mini.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
jayscheuerle said:
Sure, but do you think they're going to wait to release a new Shuffle for holiday buyers in order to unveil it at MACWORLD?

They wouldn't wait to release it solely for MWSF, they would wait so it didn't take away from the higher margin regular iPod and nano sales during the Holiday season.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
This just in...

To maintain the trend of the other iPods, Apple will a black iPod shuffle. However, also maintaining the trend, the lanyard and cap will remain white.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I wish Apple would release the iPod Brain. An Apple technician (often underqualified) comes to your home to perform open-cranium surgery on you. He implants 1 GB of flash storage into your cerebral cortex, and wires it to your brain's audio center. He also installs a BlueTooth module, so you can sit in front of your computer and browse your iPod's music library wirelessly. When you drag a song onto your iPod Brain, you hear a small "ding," not unlike the sound you hear when you receive a new text message on your cellphone. To pause or play, you click your tongue. To switch from shuffle to repeat, you snap your fingers. To go to next song, you stick a finger up your right nostril. To go to the previous song is obvious.

Oh well. It's a pipe dream.

A black shuffle would be neat. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
cleanup said:
An Apple technician (often underqualified) comes to your home to perform open-cranium surgery on you. He implants 1 GB of flash storage into your cerebral cortex...
Only 1 GB? If anyone's going to crack open my head and fiddle with my brainy innards, they better develop a 500 Petabyte storage medium first. Would hate to go into the operating room for an 'upgrade'.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Could Apple please make an iPod out of the same stuff they make the PowerBooks out of?

A cool metal 1TB iPod, then I'd upgrade from my 20 Gig iPod;)

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
ezekielrage_99 said:
Could Apple please make an iPod out of the same stuff they make the PowerBooks out of?

A cool metal 1TB iPod, then I'd upgrade from my 20 Gig iPod;)

A 1TB iPod would weigh as much as a brick. And I don't mean Cowon iAudio Jukebox brick—I mean brick of the masonry type...

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
BlueRevolution said:
white cap? wouldn't that look a wee bit dumb?

Yes, that's why it is a joke. It is along the same lines as the Black nano and video but keeping the white earbuds, dock, etc...

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I still can't imagine the Shuffle getting much smaller, but offering a happy-touch material for the outer skin, and offering it in black would both be bulls-eyes in my book :D

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
If you want a black iPod so badly why don't you just introduce your boring stock white iPod to a happy black spray can, that would work (well wouldn't it?) :D

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Koodauw said:
I wish the shuffle would just go away.
- It will eventualy, unless Apple give's it's users a reason to have one.

It really is kind of a gateway device. If it's your first iPod, with in a year you'll buy a "real" iPod.

I like having a key that is also a cheap-o iPod (great for travel). It's a thrasher device. I actually hopes it keeps its form factor, any smaller is just silly. What I would like to see is either a screen, BT interface, and or a switch so that I can use it as a remote for FrontRow.

It is odd, it really isn't in the same class as the other iPods- hence it doesn’t cannibalize iPod sales. It's like a bicycle- it will get you to school, it has it's place, and it certainly is inexpensive- but it isn't a car.

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
asxtb said:
To maintain the trend of the other iPods, Apple will a black iPod shuffle. However, also maintaining the trend, the lanyard and cap will remain white.
I think this would be called a crabApple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.