Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
How many of you buy and sell on eBay, I have been on there for three years now, I have never sold anything yet.
Does anyone know about the return policy on there? I have told eBay about the Apple display stand damage on there.
I wrote to the seller, he agreed on a return that was on the 28 November but not heard any more from eBay why have they not sent me the return label so I can send it back to him? As he has agreed on a return. I did write back to the seller but he has not replied? On previous occasions, they have sent the return label straight away. I created a return on the 28 November.
This is what they say
We'll send you an email when the seller responds to your request. If you're not able to agree on a solution or the seller has not responded by 07 Dec 2019, you can ask us to step in and help.
Under that, they say *reply to the seller * I have done it twice the second time he did not reply ;)Do I have to wait till the 7 Dec for them to step in? I just want to send it back and get my money back.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Ebay is a place that has gone down hill greatly. In your case here you wait until the 7th then file your claim to get your money back. That is how their system works I have had many buyers who have bid on items and not paid in the last year or so. You do the same there wait for over a week for payment then file the claim to get it eliminated. It was never like that before the place just keeps getting worse.

Reactions: ruslan120

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I have used eBay for a decade but I use it less and less as easier and faster platforms become more common. Mercari, Letgo, OfferUp, Swappa, and trade in programs just to name a few.

It’s been forever since I’ve sold something on eBay. They really need to “modernize.”

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I have had a lot of success buying on eBay. Not as much selling but I have sold some stuff on there. The return policy can be a pain. It can take forever to finally get your money back but at least with eBay you are guaranteed to get it back eventually! I mainly sell on Mercari now though still doing a little bit of stuff on eBay.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Ebay is a place that has gone down hill greatly. In your case here you wait until the 7th then file your claim to get your money back. That is how their system works I have had many buyers who have bid on items and not paid in the last year or so. You do the same there wait for over a week for payment then file the claim to get it eliminated. It was never like that before the place just keeps getting worse.
The guy has accepted the return of it this is what he says Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. Looks like it is stuck in its forward position, I presume it won't click back into position? It was moving backward and forward fine before I packed it. Happy to accept the return if it is damaged so that it doesn't move, I will have to claim on the Royal Mail insurance as I made sure it was covered for damage in transit. Sorry about this, Anther weird thing was it was supposed to be sent express delivery and yet it took four days to get to me and no tracking number? I don,t see why I can,t see why eBay can,t send me a label to send it back. :( It is straight forward to me his happy with a return. Plus the fact that the postage was 20 pounds?:(
[automerge]1575480131[/automerge]
The guy has accepted the return of it this is what he says Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. Looks like it is stuck in its forward position, I presume it won't click back into position? It was moving backward and forward fine before I packed it. Happy to accept the return if it is damaged so that it doesn't move, I will have to claim on the Royal Mail insurance as I made sure it was covered for damage in transit. Sorry about this, Anther weird thing was it was supposed to be sent express delivery and yet it took four days to get to me and no tracking number? I don,t see why I can,t see why eBay can,t send me a label to send it back. :( It is straight forward to me his happy with a return. Plus the fact that the postage was 20 pounds?:(
I have used eBay for a decade but I use it less and less as easier and faster platforms become more common. Mercari, Letgo, OfferUp, Swappa, and trade in programs just to name a few.

It’s been forever since I’ve sold something on eBay. They really need to “modernize.”
I take it that the sites you mention here are USA sights?
[automerge]1575480509[/automerge]
I have had a lot of success buying on eBay. Not as much selling but I have sold some stuff on there. The return policy can be a pain. It can take forever to finally get your money back but at least with eBay you are guaranteed to get it back eventually! I mainly sell on Mercari now though still doing a little bit of stuff on eBay.
Yes you are right there about the money back on eBay.I was right Mercari is a USA site.

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Ebay is a place that has gone downhill greatly. In your case here you wait until the 7th then file your claim to get your money back. That is how their system works I have had many buyers who have bid on items and not paid in the last year or so. You do the same there wait for over a week for payment then file the claim to get it eliminated. It was never like that before the place just keeps getting worse.
i have heard that it does seem to be a problem on there about buyers. bidding for stuff and not paying for it. Why bother about bidding for something when you have no intention of buying it? :(

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I use it for small items to sell. Won't sell expensive stuff. As an inordinately high number of electronics I ship end up being "defective". It's amazing how stuff I carefully and thoroughly test. Plus had used previously for many years without issue. Then meticulously pack. Don't work when the buyer receives them.

I only bother with the small stuff because it is either that or the landfill. There aren't many other avenues to sell some old RAM, CPU, &c. So, I issue some refunds now and then and tell them to pitch it. Even though I'm sure it is an ID10T error. It's not worth paying return shipping.

Incidentally other stuff like porcelain figurines always arrive in perfect condition.

I buy off eBay often. Rarely do I have any issues.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
eBay is a cesspool of hacked accounts, fake Chinese knockoffs, and scam artists. I can barely find anything on that site to buy anymore. I used to use it all the time. Just recently I purchased something only to have eBay notify me that the account was hacked and to initiate a refund process on the item. That doesn't exactly encourage me to keep buying from there.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Yep. USA. Sorry. eBay is slow.
No problem there :)
[automerge]1575483662[/automerge]
I use it for small items to sell. Won't sell expensive stuff. As an inordinately high number of electronics I ship end up being "defective". It's amazing how stuff I carefully and thoroughly test. Plus had used previously for many years without issue. Then meticulously pack. Don't work when the buyer receives them.

I only bother with the small stuff because it is either that or the landfill. There aren't many other avenues to sell some old RAM, CPU, &c. So, I issue some refunds now and then and tell them to pitch it. Even though I'm sure it is an ID10T error. It's not worth paying return shipping.

Incidentally other stuff like porcelain figurines always arrive in perfect condition.

I buy off eBay often. Rarely do I have any issues.
I see your point that does worry me if I did sell electronic stuff on there. That is true Ram and CPU.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
eBay is a cesspool of hacked accounts, fake Chinese knockoffs, and scam artists. I can barely find anything on that site to buy anymore. I used to use it all the time. Just recently I purchased something only to have eBay notify me that the account was hacked and to initiate a refund process on the item. That doesn't exactly encourage me to keep buying from there.

I was just saying something similar in another thread, that eBay has made me thousands over the years selling various Apple products and other items, but I have ultimately abandoned anything and everything selling on eBay. It’s too much of a risk anymore. What’s more valuable to me is _my_ time, and I refuse to let anyone take advantage of a genuine sale because they think they can outsmart me, which no one has fortunately.

Altogether, I would rather trade in my device, even if that means I take a ‘hit’, sell locally to someone I know in my community or even hand it down to a friend, etc. The money means nothing to me as much as my time and energy does.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
1st up front i say I dont represent any aspect of ebay

We have an an ebay store and typically sell designer clothing and accessories
also
brand name tools as i used to auto cross at my old house.

all these items result of our down sizing into an urban home.

since our new digs is somewhat dated I frequently look for hardware and plumbing that is difficult to locally. I admit I am very careful who I buy from but have not really had an issue. Ebay is a good place to buy say auto tires. I recently bought an older HP 1800 series level 2 router for my house. Got to do the research tho.

with respect to what we have out going on ebay; we will refund any buyer for any reason. We also take effort to describe the item completely with photos and such. we ship as soon as we get an ebay clearance.

sometimes i would rather buy from ebay than amazon.
all of these are just retailers and everyone should shop around for the best deal.
if you dont feel secure, you totally need to shop else where

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
[automerge]1575480131[/automerge]

It seems you may be ok with it but do not allow it to go on for long. Some of the sellers will delay until you have no option to file the report for your claim. It is early for yo so it will not be a problem when you do file. As fr the other question I have no clue why ebay allows it. Some of the bidders even have positive feedback saying they do not pay... I caught on to this one, it seems you cannot leave negative feedback anymore and once you accept the finial value credit you cannot leave feedback at all. Now I at least leave non-paying bidder positive feedback... WTF is that Ebay, if any of you aholes happen by this thread?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol...outsmart ... eBay does seem to favor buyers more, including paypal...

I only really buy on eBay myself.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Ebay sucks for sellers......No matter what you do Ebay will always backup the buyer...... Nowadays there are others sites and app that is much better than ebay.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Similar experience here.

I used to sell a variety of products back in the day. Now I stick to cheap laptops at the most expensive end, and the quantity of items sold has decreased over time due to the decrease in quality.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Selling on eBay became too risky. They will always side with the buyer, so you can end up with no money and no item. If PayPal gets involved, then you are really screwed.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
It seems you may be ok with it but do not allow it to go on for long. Some of the sellers will delay until you have no option to file the report for your claim. It is early for yo so it will not be a problem when you do file. As fr the other question I have no clue why eBay allows it. Some of the bidders even have positive feedback saying they do not pay... I caught on to this one, it seems you cannot leave negative feedback anymore and once you accept the finial value credit you cannot leave feedback at all. Now I at least leave non-paying bidder positive feedback... WTF is that Ebay if any of you aholes happen by this thread?
How can someone have positive feedback when they do not pay? :rolleyes:Well before you leave a negative feedback eBay asks you to get back to the seller.
[automerge]1575561184[/automerge]
Selling on eBay became too risky. They will always side with the buyer, so you can end up with no money and no item. If PayPal gets involved, then you are really screwed.
Yes, that's what I heard Ratta siding with the buyer that is. If the product is damaged or it did not arrive it should be the only reason for a refund.
[automerge]1575561333[/automerge]
Does anyone use Facebook Market place or Gumtree?

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I don't use Facebook so I have never used Marketplace, a few of my friends have used it without many incidents. It's a bit of a different system from ebay though.

After I got scammed on a PIII tower and a GPU sale I stopped selling on eBay and on the internet. Got tired of the buyers pulling fast ones.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Does anyone use Facebook Market place or Gumtree?

I do use Gumtree but as a seller I prefer a local pickup. Items can be easily damaged in transit. What I find interesting is how different the buyers can behave: some insist on using PayPal even for AU$10 purchase, some have no issues depositing AU$400.00 straight into my bank account. I find it fascinating how different people can have a very different world view and general approach to life. I don't think it is only because some are very rich and some are very poor.

Reactions: max2

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
How can someone have positive feedback when they do not pay? :rolleyes:Well before you leave a negative feedback eBay asks you to get back to the seller.

You get a positive feedback or report buyer option now. The report buyer does not give feedback on the site. The only way to leave negative feedback is in a positive feedback rating. At least those are the only options available to me, I just checked on the MacPro I sold earlier this week. Shockingly enough it was actually bought and paid for within minutes, my experiences earlier this year were four or five times sold to actually get payment from the scumbags that inhabit the place now.

Edit: And to prevent the Paypal scams I try to end the auction on a Friday so you can get paid and withdraw the money before shipping. This week was a buy it now payment on a weekday but I withdrew the money that night by the next morning it was in the bank account. Otherwise I would have taken my listed three days to ship as I will wait until I have the money in my hands before shipping.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 9.45.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 9.45.54 AM.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I don't use Facebook so I have never used Marketplace, a few of my friends have used it without many incidents. It's a bit of a different system from ebay though.

After I got scammed on a PIII tower and a GPU sale I stopped selling on eBay and on the internet. Got tired of the buyers pulling fast ones.
I use it but don,t say anything about myself on there :) Yes I suppose it is like Gumtree only found out about it last week. It is a shame people can,t be trustworthy.;)

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I use it but don,t say anything about myself on there :) Yes I suppose it is like Gumtree only found out about it last week. It is a shame people can,t be trustworthy.;)
I know this is going to be an "old man yells at cloud" moment, but people just don't have as much integrity as they used to. I've done retail and was a cab driver two times. The longer I was in them, the more I saw people not pay fares, give me collateral and never pay me back, and just being generally rude.

Sadly being online does not help in this case. Since they don't really know who it is they are buying from, and they usually don't have to meet face-to-face, they don't feel bad scamming. It's like people cheating Walmart and Target's policies because they think they are screwing over the store, when in fact it's just the guy that accepted to return/give discount that gets thrown out.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
peeps here seem to call out on "abusing the system"

we do some ebay selling and find buyers reasonable.
stay off the soap box

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.