Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
eBay has definately got worse over the last year and I'm just a buyer!

There's a scammer that seems to be obsessed with spamming like 100 fake car adverts on there almost daily.

I've never sold there and I never will.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
eBay has definately got worse over the last year and I'm just a buyer!

There's a scammer that seems to be obsessed with spamming like 100 fake car adverts on there almost daily.

I've never sold there and I never will.
I'm rather surprised no ones acquired eBay over the years TBH.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I'm rather surprised no ones acquired eBay over the years TBH.
Talking about scammers i fon,t know if you live in the UK we have a site called Gumtree which i understand has connections with eBay what annoys me a dodge company called Minko,s Macs uses the classified section for private sellers it is filled up with there Mac,s all of them have loads of pirated software on them don,t know why they are allowed to put them on there.heres some reviews
Absolute crap, bought a mac for music production with a upgrade to 500g harddrive. Half the programs don't work! Computer cant even handle logic pro x with 4 channels open. Harddrive says that there is only 60g free. People in the shop didn't give a toss once they has my money. Don't waste your time or money with these rip off merchants
Sent iMac to them and called for them to say what was the serial number blag, tried to get the unit picked up and they won't hand it over even after 3 attempts by UPS - theft reported to Met Police for fraud and obtaining goods by deception - AVOID these thieves!
If you want a Mac repaired go to *We Hire Mac.s*in London they sell them there to . :)*One more thing*Why does the postage variey so much on the same item?

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Let me know when the respond to you as to weather it's new new or refurbished new, I would have done the same.

I posted no reply, and then I got a notification from eBay, and they did!

1589374255374.png

“Factory fresh” is still a touch ambiguous- but that was not unreasonable response time if they’re as big as they seem.

Last edited:

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas

View attachment 914692

“Factory fresh” is still a touch ambiguous- but that was not unreasonable response time if they’re as big as they seem.
Yeah "Factory Fresh" caught my eye as well. I'll have you know I ended up purchasing the device. I will let you know if I run into any issues with it as far as setting up AC+ or even running its SN through Apple to make sure it is in fact the same device as advertised.

On a side note eBay did email me saying that the item qualifies for an "extended warranty" for a 1 year protection plan starting at $99.99 that it covers: 100% Parts & Labor Protection, If we can't fix it, we replace it, Award winning service guaranteed.

My BS meter is going off someones trying to upsale because all Apple hardware comes with 1 year of hardware support already included.
[automerge]1589384416[/automerge]
Talking about scammers i fon,t know if you live in the UK we have a site called Gumtree which i understand has connections with eBay what annoys me a dodge company called Minko,s Macs uses the classified section for private sellers it is filled up with there Mac,s all of them have loads of pirated software on them don,t know why they are allowed to put them on there.heres some reviews
Absolute crap, bought a mac for music production with a upgrade to 500g harddrive. Half the programs don't work! Computer cant even handle logic pro x with 4 channels open. Harddrive says that there is only 60g free. People in the shop didn't give a toss once they has my money. Don't waste your time or money with these rip off merchants
Sent iMac to them and called for them to say what was the serial number blag, tried to get the unit picked up and they won't hand it over even after 3 attempts by UPS - theft reported to Met Police for fraud and obtaining goods by deception - AVOID these thieves!
If you want a Mac repaired go to *We Hire Mac.s*in London they sell them there to . :)*One more thing*Why does the postage variey so much on the same item?
Sorry bud I'm in the States.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah "Factory Fresh" caught my eye as well. I'll have you know I ended up purchasing the device. I will let you know if I run into any issues with it as far as setting up AC+ or even running its SN through Apple to make sure it is in fact the same device as advertised.

On a side note eBay did email me saying that the item qualifies for an "extended warranty" for a 1 year protection plan starting at $99.99 that it covers: 100% Parts & Labor Protection, If we can't fix it, we replace it, Award winning service guaranteed.

My BS meter is going off someones trying to upsale because all Apple hardware comes with 1 year of hardware support already included.

Cool, I mean, outside of a total mishap, I think there's two probable outcomes: 1) It's "retail new", and it was a solid deal, 2) it's a refurb and while the same price as Apple, it was available now, and if you didn't have to pay tax, that's a couple hundred cheaper than a refurb from Apple.

In either case, it's a killer machine, that should have a full 1 year warranty and the option for the 3 year AC+.

FWIW, I buy refurbs all the time, this '18 Mini I'm typing this on is one :)

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Cool, I mean, outside of a total mishap, I think there's two probable outcomes: 1) It's "retail new", and it was a solid deal, 2) it's a refurb and while the same price as Apple, it was available now, and if you didn't have to pay tax, that's a couple hundred cheaper than a refurb from Apple.

In either case, it's a killer machine, that should have a full 1 year warranty and the option for the 3 year AC+.

FWIW, I buy refurbs all the time, this '18 Mini I'm typing this on is one :)
I'm in Texas so unfortunately was charged $195.52 in tax

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

View attachment 914692

They have 407 sold of these MacBook Pro's and a 99.7% positive rating. Their feedback shows a lot of positive reviews for big ticket items including other buyers of said Macbook. Many buyers with fairly high feedback counts. I'd expect this is a legit listing.

How are they selling it at this price? I couldn't say. I have no idea what price Apple sells to resellers at.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm in Texas so unfortunately was charged $195.52 in tax

Ahh, yeah, I was going to ask. FL has gotten a little aggresive with taxing online products, services, but a few things still aren't (especially independent resellers through Ebay).

They have 407 sold of these MacBook Pro's and a 99.7% positive rating. Their feedback shows a lot of positive reviews for big ticket items including other buyers of said Macbook. Many buyers with fairly high feedback counts. I'd expect this is a legit listing.

How are they selling it at this price? I couldn't say. I have no idea what price Apple sells to resellers at.

Yeah, I think we all, more or less, came to the conclusion that it's legit, at least in terms of the end buyer and what they receive (I mean, those guys might be highjacking UPS trucks like the mob, but a deal is a deal :D)

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Ahh, yeah, I was going to ask. FL has gotten a little aggresive with taxing online products, services, but a few things still aren't (especially independent resellers through Ebay).

Yeah, I think we all, more or less, came to the conclusion that it's legit, at least in terms of the end buyer and what they receive (I mean, those guys might be highjacking UPS trucks like the mob, but a deal is a deal :D)
At the risk of sounding dumb lol how can I be sure that the final product that I get will be new vs refurbished? I know in Apple stores refurbished items come in a basic white box, or at least they used to years ago when I last got a refurbished device.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Given how many they've sold. I was thinking a shipping container. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I’ve sold loads of things on there. They can collect face to face with cash so no fees and no getting ripped off. Sold an iPhone and iPad through it in the past along with a couple of cars, toys and various devices.
I just wondered what peoples experience of it was. What about gumtree?Not so much face to face now of course.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I've only ever bought something once on eBay, but I found what I wanted without difficulty and paid what I figured was a decent (high, but expectedly high) price for it. It was just one of those Starbucks city mugs from back in the 90s, wanted the one from LA because the one I had broke and I loved it for tomato soup and for the fond memory of the friend who had given my original one to me in NY one year for Christmas.

On the other hand my sister has bought a lot of stuff on eBay and more of a bargain hunter than I was, because she's usually going for something a lot pricier than a coffee mug, more like another sewing machine or parts for one. She too has been happy with her purchases though. It was recollection of her purchases that made me think about eBay on the morning I dropped that Starbucks mug in the sink and knew it was totaled.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I've only ever bought something once on eBay, but I found what I wanted without difficulty and paid what I figured was a decent (high, but expectedly high) price for it. It was just one of those Starbucks city mugs from back in the 90s, wanted the one from LA because the one I had broke and I loved it for tomato soup and for the fond memory of the friend who had given my original one to me in NY one year for Christmas.

On the other hand my sister has bought a lot of stuff on eBay and more of a bargain hunter than I was, because she's usually going for something a lot pricier than a coffee mug, more like another sewing machine or parts for one. She too has been happy with her purchases though. It was recollection of her purchases that made me think about eBay on the morning I dropped that Starbucks mug in the sink and knew it was totaled.
I did something on Gumtree some years it was from the other side of London where I live it was I flat in a house the seller asked me to take my shoes off I refused. He bought to the hallway, I am not taking my shoes off for anyone :(Songthing else that intrigues me is why do people put bids on as soon as the item is listed on there?it seems a waste of time to me I wait to tell the last hours of the auction or the last few minutes.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
So I just got my computer in the mail today and when I enter the SN to get Apple Care it directs me to a page that says: "
It looks like your device isn't
eligible for an AppleCare agreement." What does that mean?!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So I just got my computer in the mail today and when I enter the SN to get Apple Care it directs me to a page that says: "
It looks like your device isn't
eligible for an AppleCare agreement." What does that mean?!

It means what it says. The machine isn't eligible for AppleCare.

Where did you buy it? Did the seller tell you it already had AppleCare on it?

An existing AppleCare agreement will indeed "follow the machine" from an original purchaser to another owner, but an AppleCare agreement can only be purchased at point of original sale or within that same year of original purchase.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
It means what it says. The machine isn't eligible for AppleCare.

Where did you buy it? Did the seller tell you it already had AppleCare on it?

An existing AppleCare agreement will indeed "follow the machine" from an original purchaser to another owner, but an AppleCare agreement can only be purchased at point of original sale or within that same year of original purchase.
See my earlier posts....I bought it off eBay. The store was Electronics Basket. There was no mention of the computer having had Apple Care already.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
See my earlier posts....I bought it off eBay. The store was Electronics Basket. There was no mention of the computer having had Apple Care already.

I'm guessing you've tried re-entering the number again?

A "Late 2019" model should still be eligible.....so that's not a good sign.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

OK So if they're an authorized reseller, and the machine is like an Apple refurb in the same sense as an Apple refurb bought off Apple's refurb and clearance section (which in Apple's case is definitely eligible for AppleCare) you might have to get the AppleCare arrangement through Electronic Basket somehow.

To Apple right now the serial number you put in might seem like only Electronic Basket (the presumed original buyer and now reseller) could buy the AppleCare for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.