Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
it could be from a grey market seller instead of an Apple authorized reseller.....maybe Apple won't sell AppleCare for it as a result

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
it could be from a grey market seller instead of an Apple authorized reseller.....maybe Apple won't sell AppleCare for it as a result

Yeah I don't know if auth'd resellers can carry Apple-factory-refurb products. I had bought one or two pieces of Apple gear from an authorized reseller in Vermont quite awhile ago, and they did offer AppleCare at point of purchase. They were new Apple items though, not refurbs. Only difference I noticed was that with a third party in the picture, I had to enroll the AppleCare with Apple after I received the gear and the AppleCare box, and the process involved confirming the seller's particulars from the invoice. Whereas buying the gear and applecare from Apple, the AppleCare just auto-enrolled. They may do that differently now, but I still wonder about whether the resellers even handle Apple refurbs. I never saw that at the Vermont place and wonder why Apple would even offer resellers that option.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
OK So if they're an authorized reseller, and the machine is like an Apple refurb in the same sense as an Apple refurb bought off Apple's refurb and clearance section (which in Apple's case is definitely eligible for AppleCare) you might have to get the AppleCare arrangement through Electronic Basket somehow.

To Apple right now the serial number you put in might seem like only Electronic Basket (the presumed original buyer and now reseller) could buy the AppleCare for it.
Electronic Basket was offering their own protection plan that was essentially like AC without calling it AC. Then eBay wanted to offer their own protection plan.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Electronic Basket was offering their own protection plan that was essentially like AC without calling it AC. Then eBay wanted to offer their own protection plan.

Maybe talk to Apple customer service, explain your purchase deal, ask them if the seller is an authorized reseller and can you get the Apple Care from Apple instead of extended warranty from the seller or eBay. Worst case at that point if you find out the seller is not an auth'd reseller, then gee they do seem a little sketchy anyway 'cuz where did they get the stuff they're selling... and so then maybe you can still get the extended warranty on your purchase from eBay.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Maybe talk to Apple customer service, explain your purchase deal, ask them if the seller is an authorized reseller and can you get the Apple Care from Apple instead of extended warranty from the seller or eBay. Worst case at that point if you find out the seller is not an auth'd reseller, then gee they do seem a little sketchy anyway 'cuz where did they get the stuff they're selling... and so then maybe you can still get the extended warranty on your purchase from eBay.
They sold the MacBook Pro at 15% off Apple's MSRP. I'm definitely calling Apple in the morning.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
... Worst case at that point if you find out the seller is not an auth'd reseller, then gee they do seem a little sketchy anyway 'cuz where did they get the stuff they're selling...

Things do get murky out there in the grey market.......but it doesn't necessarily mean there's anything illegal in the sellers supply route. It's possible that these come by way of a distributor that sells to authorized resellers. Apple doesn't like that of course, but it's not illegal.

I wonder if Swampbaby has any further info for us now

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Things do get murky out there in the grey market.......but it doesn't necessarily mean there's anything illegal in the sellers supply route. It's possible that these come by way of a distributor that sells to authorized resellers. Apple doesn't like that of course, but it's not illegal.

I wonder if Swampbaby has any further info for us now
I contacted Apple over the weekend and the guy was even unable to manually get it added on his end. He said he suspected that the issue was that their system enabling you to add AC was down. I've since tried again this morning and the system seems to be back online.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I contacted Apple over the weekend and the guy was even unable to manually get it added on his end. He said he suspected that the issue was that their system enabling you to add AC was down. I've since tried again this morning and the system seems to be back online.

so I gather you were successful in adding AC?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Oh heck, so did it work, or not? Technically, you only have 60 days after purchase to add AC+, hoping the machine didn't get it's "purchase counter" started more than 60 days ago.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Usually Apple can fix that if it's a legit resale.

I think if it's an authorized reseller, it does start with activation[?], but you're still required to have a PoP? I can't remember, I generally buy through Apple, so the support page always shows based on the purchase, but interestingly enough, the AC+ starts at the time I buy it (and I usually wait till ~57-58 days or so into the 60), so I get two free months :D

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I think if it's an authorized reseller, it does start with activation[?], but you're still required to have a PoP? I can't remember, I generally buy through Apple, so the support page always shows based on the purchase, but interestingly enough, the AC+ starts at the time I buy it (and I usually wait till ~57-58 days or so into the 60), so I get two free months :D

On the third party stuff: my recollection is of having bought a machine new from an auth'd reseller, along with applecare (this was before applecare+) which at that time came in form of paper docs in a box, but I could enroll the care online when I reggied the machine. And yes when I went to enroll the AppleCare, Apple did want the vendor name and address so they could verify proof of purchase if I had to make use of the warranty later on.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have seen an iMac on eBay the guy got it down as submit a bid underneath the item he said he would accept a certain price for it. I sent a message to the guy and he said this
I will accept the offer now if you make the payment. I am not good with e bay but as I understand things you are safe if you make the payment. I can see if I can do a buy it now price.
If you understand all this I’m happy with your guidance. How do you change * submit a Bid* to BUY IT NOW? I can,t put it in the submit a Bid surely if I do I will have to wait till the end of the auction.No reply to that.i sent another message asking him to put buy it now, so I can make a payment. I have never sold on there so have no idea how to change Submit an offer to Buy it now, Any ideas? Unfoifrnatly he hasn,t put make an offer under Submit Bid :oops:

Last edited:

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Trying to decide if I got scammed in a pretty sophisticated way or if I got caught up in a weird glitch.
I rarely use eBay anymore because of what it's become. But I had an old router that I figured I'd post rather than throwing out. It sold for a whopping $8. What I've always done is wait to get the payment email from PayPal and then ship it. That's what I did this time. Another thing I do is leave the money in my PayPay account to use to pay the eBay fees. But this time when I went to pay the fee I saw I had no money in PayPal. There is no record of any transaction from this sale on my PayPal account and eBay shows that the buyer hasn't paid. So I looked in my email to find the PayPal payment reminder and it's gone. Not in my deleted emails or inbox. So now I'm thinking I'm crazy but then I remembered the only way I had this person's address is from that email. Can a person fake an email like that and it disappears after time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.