Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Try connecting a secondary power source to the MBP (power brick using USB-C, etc.) and see if you still have connection issues or if it stabilizes. I went through three TS3+ docks, before I seemed to get a good one. For the problematic ones, connecting a secondary power source seemed to fix things while I waited for the dock replacement. At least for the issues I was seeing (dock disconnecting/reconnecting on its own) while connected to either 2016 15" MBP or 2018 15" MBP. For my problematic docks, I think it was primarily related to power delivery to both the MBP and any USB devices that required higher power, in my case, a Yeti microphone and/or an external 2.5" hard drive. Though I will say my current primary monitor does deliver up to 94W PD over TB3, but is connected directly to the dock.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Try connecting a secondary power source to the MBP (power brick using USB-C, etc.) and see if you still have connection issues or if it stabilizes. I went through three TS3+ docks, before I seemed to get a good one. For the problematic ones, connecting a secondary power source seemed to fix things while I waited for the dock replacement. At least for the issues I was seeing (dock disconnecting/reconnecting on its own) while connected to either 2016 15" MBP or 2018 15" MBP. For my problematic docks, I think it was primarily related to power delivery to both the MBP and any USB devices that required higher power, in my case, a Yeti microphone and/or an external 2.5" hard drive. Though I will say my current primary monitor does deliver up to 94W PD over TB3, but is connected directly to the dock.

which one was the "good one" for you?

and do you mean powering both the dock and the laptops separately ?

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
which one was the "good one" for you?

and do you mean powering both the dock and the laptops separately ?
My TS3+ was replaced under warranty three times. They did swap out the last one for a space gray, when I originally had purchased silver.

Have the dock hooked up regularly, but plug the MBP power block up to the MBP also.

Mebo

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2021
I have been working on MBP 13" 2017 (still Catalina) with CalDigit TS3 and 2 external displays for 4 years now. The only small problem I had was that "going to sleep" at sometime did not work as expected. This usually happened within some (3-5) weeks after Apple updates were installed. After that "going to sleep" worked as expected again.

Now I'm upgrading to MBP 16" M1 and detecting that displays are not waking up after going to sleep. Even disconnecting/connecting does not help. This is a really annoying apple feature!

After various testing (hopefully temporary) my workaround is: Also connect Apple charging. Disconnect TS3 after work, connect again when start working.

I hope this is solved soon!

Reactions: project_2501

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
Installing and using Amphetamine seems to have permanently fixed the issue for me.
I checked "Allow display sleep" and "Allow system sleep when display is closed", i made Amphetamine launch at boot and activate a session immediately.

1640889972310.png

"Session default" tabs
1640889991137.png

1640889715654.png

My setting in "Quick prefs" :
1640889953497.png

To fix the need to login again when amphetamine launch (black screen), in "Security & Confidentialy" I changed "Ask for password" from "Instantly" to "5 seconds".

I also installed the two helpers in Amphetamine Enhancer.

If I understand it correctly, my config just doesn't change anything to my mac's sleep. But if I close amphetamine, CalDigit's TS3+ stop wroking correctly instantly, so that's how I do it for now.

Reactions: ataq

Mebo

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2021
But wouldn't this config mean that MacBook is running 24 hours and never going to sleep?!

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
Well, my mac is always in clamshell mode and display seems to shut off / wake up just fine.
But you raise a good question if anyone can clarify that

Wolf359SD

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
I have a TS3+, and both with a 2020 Intel MBP and a M1 Pro I had endless monitor sleep/wake issues. I was so fed up with Caldigit, that I got a Satechi TB4 dock and have a OWC TB3 to dual DP1.4 dongle that has been 1000% flawless for two months. I don't even want to sell the TS3+ to anyone, since it's just a POS.

Reactions: SneedSama

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
I have a TS3+, and both with a 2020 Intel MBP and a M1 Pro I had endless monitor sleep/wake issues. I was so fed up with Caldigit, that I got a Satechi TB4 dock and have a OWC TB3 to dual DP1.4 dongle that has been 1000% flawless for two months. I don't even want to sell the TS3+ to anyone, since it's just a POS.

Okay now I really think about giving back the TS3+ to amazon...
On the other hand amphetamine fixed the issue for me sooo...

CryptoNautic

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2022
I have no doubt this is an Apple problem.

I've been using my TS3+ for years just fine with my 2018 macbook pro 15". When I got my 2021 macbook pro m1 max, the displays no longer wake up after sleep. If I switch back to the 2018, wake works fine. Back to the 2021 m1 max, doesn't wake the displays. So, the m1 max is definitely lacking something that the 2018 is doing.

I tried several different configurations and nothing works the way it does with the 2018 macbook pro (usb-c to display port, usb-c to hdmi, display port to display port, display port to hdmi). The only work around I've found is if I plug one monitor into the 2021 macbook pro directly (hdmi to hdmi) and one display into the TS3+ (display port to display port).

It's rather frustrating since I've enjoyed almost 4 years of a single connection to my computer, which is very convenient when constantly switching between my personal and work computers. I still use a 2018 macbook pro for work, so now I'll need to plug in an extra cable and change one of the monitor inputs when I'm switching between computers. Obviously, this isn't a ton of work, but I pay extra for apple computers because they "just work" and it's disappointing when that value proposition falls through... especially when it used to work on older models.

Edit: I reported the problem to Apple

Last edited:

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
I have no doubt this is an Apple problem.

I've been using my TS3+ for years just fine with my 2018 macbook pro 15". When I got my 2021 macbook pro m1 max, the displays no longer wake up after sleep. If I switch back to the 2018, wake works fine. Back to the 2021 m1 max, doesn't wake the displays. So, the m1 max is definitely lacking something that the 2018 is doing.

I tried several different configurations and nothing works the way it does with the 2018 macbook pro (usb-c to display port, usb-c to hdmi, display port to display port, display port to hdmi). The only work around I've found is if I plug one monitor into the 2021 macbook pro directly (hdmi to hdmi) and one display into the TS3+ (display port to display port).

It's rather frustrating since I've enjoyed almost 4 years of a single connection to my computer, which is very convenient when constantly switching between my personal and work computers. I still use a 2018 macbook pro for work, so now I'll need to plug in an extra cable and change one of the monitor inputs when I'm switching between computers. Obviously, this isn't a ton of work, but I pay extra for apple computers because they "just work" and it's disappointing when that value proposition falls through... especially when it used to work on older models.

Edit: I reported the problem to Apple
Could you try my Amphetamine solution just to see if it may work for you ?
I'd like to get some feedback about it, and also if the workaround actually really disable my mac's sleep or not (it does seem to sleep just fine with my Amphetamine configuration but who knows).
I know it may seems counter intuitive to use Amphetamine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CryptoNautic

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2022
Could you try my Amphetamine solution just to see if it may work for you?
I just tried it and Amphetamine does fix the problem of monitors not waking up after the monitors are put to sleep. I did not install Amphetamine Enhancer since the features it adds do not appear to be necessary for my use case (I don't use it with the lid closed and don't need additional triggers). The only config change I made after install was to check "Allow display sleep". So that's great news.

Unfortunately, it seems that this comes at the cost of the system not sleeping. Yes, the monitors go into power save ("sleep") mode, but the CPU does not sleep. That might be worthwhile for some people so I think it's still a good work around.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
I just tried it and Amphetamine does fix the problem of monitors not waking up after the monitors are put to sleep. I did not install Amphetamine Enhancer since the features it adds do not appear to be necessary for my use case (I don't use it with the lid closed and don't need additional triggers). The only config change I made after install was to check "Allow display sleep". So that's great news.

Unfortunately, it seems that this comes at the cost of the system not sleeping. Yes, the monitors go into power save ("sleep") mode, but the CPU does not sleep. That might be worthwhile for some people so I think it's still a good work around.

Ok thanks for the information.
Wasn't 100% sure about the sleep, as i don't know how to check if CPU is sleeping, while monitors are off.

SneedSama

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
Sneed's Feed and Seed
Has anyone here had better luck with using a different TB3/4 dock? My TS3+ is still in the return period with Amazon and I have been having similar issues to what people are describing here. My 1080p monitor connected through the DP 1.2 port wakes up just fine, but my 1440p LG monitor connected through the TB3 port either doesn't wake up or takes a long time to do so. Only fix I've found is reconnecting the dock to the computer. I've heard good things about the Satechi TB4 dock but don't want to go through the process of returning and repurchasing if I'm going to have similar issues. Thanks!

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
Has anyone here had better luck with using a different TB3/4 dock? My TS3+ is still in the return period with Amazon and I have been having similar issues to what people are describing here. My 1080p monitor connected through the DP 1.2 port wakes up just fine, but my 1440p LG monitor connected through the TB3 port either doesn't wake up or takes a long time to do so. Only fix I've found is reconnecting the dock to the computer. I've heard good things about the Satechi TB4 dock but don't want to go through the process of returning and repurchasing if I'm going to have similar issues. Thanks!
Yeah my issue is with an LG monitor too... but sometimes both won't work. Anyway I don't care for now, using the amphetamine workaround...

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
I just emailed Caldigit support asking if this is a known problem with the Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub too - I plan to buy it.

I'll share their reply.

Anyone else here had problems or success with the Element Hub?

flowt

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2022
So, I've tried absolutely everything since I had the same issue until randomly I decided to close the got damn Spotify and VOILA, the Caldigit went straight to sleep, the light isn't blinking, and I have no issues with waking up randomly ever again. And I did some testings with and without Spotify opened and for me at least work in that way.

Again, maybe this fix isn't for everyone but it might be worth a shot!

SneedSama

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
Sneed's Feed and Seed
I received the Satechi TB4 dock today and it has been working flawlessly. Whereas I had immediate issues waking/sleeping my monitors with the TS3 plus and ports randomly falling asleep, the Satechi dock has worked perfectly. Wish I had read about TB4 more carefully, as waking/sleeping devices is actually one of the things that was improved over TB3. I'll give an update if issues come up with this dock, but I'll be returning my TS3 Plus and keeping the Satechi. I only wish I had grabbed this back in December when it was on sale for $250 at Best Buy. I would highly recommend the Satechi to anyone here experiencing issues with the TS3 Plus.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
I received the Satechi TB4 dock today and it has been working flawlessly. Whereas I had immediate issues waking/sleeping my monitors with the TS3 plus and ports randomly falling asleep, the Satechi dock has worked perfectly. Wish I had read about TB4 more carefully, as waking/sleeping devices is actually one of the things that was improved over TB3. I'll give an update if issues come up with this dock, but I'll be returning my TS3 Plus and keeping the Satechi. I only wish I had grabbed this back in December when it was on sale for $250 at Best Buy. I would highly recommend the Satechi to anyone here experiencing issues with the TS3 Plus.

If the issue is resolved by TB3 to TB4 .. does that mean the Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 element hub will work?

SneedSama

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
Sneed's Feed and Seed
If the issue is resolved by TB3 to TB4 .. does that mean the Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 element hub will work?
I feel like that dock would work similarly, as all the TB4 docks I've seen use the same reference design (1 Upstream, 3 Downstream TB Port setup) and are likely manufactured at the same place. Hope you have good luck with it if you decide to purchase.

Reactions: project_2501
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.