Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
Damn. I just want to send back my TS3 but I love the form factor so bad.
I find the Satechi's TB4 way too big.
Pffiou... damn.

SneedSama

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
Sneed's Feed and Seed
I wanted to love the TS3 Plus because of the better port selection/form factor like you said, but it was too annoying dealing with these issues. I agree that the Satechi/OWC type TB4 docks are too long. Check out the CalDigit Element like the other poster mentioned. I believe it's quite a bit smaller than some of the other TB4 docks and the Upstream port is also on the side, but you sacrifice the ethernet/audio/SD ports for a $50 savings compared to the Satechi.

Reactions: project_2501

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, from what I searched online only the TB4 would compete. Also it' seems the "host" port is on the front ? Kinda annoying, well. Now I have to think. I don't have much time left.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Such a shame Caldigiti aren't more open about the problems with the TS3+.

I have messaged them several times a week for the last 3 weeks - and they keep denying a problem.

It's better for them not to suffer the costs of product returns and bad reviews.

sionell

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2020
Yeah, from what I searched online only the TB4 would compete. Also it' seems the "host" port is on the front ? Kinda annoying, well. Now I have to think. I don't have much time left.
Yes, the "host" port is on the front of the Satechi (which I find really really annoying). The dock is really long too - so doesn't quite fit as well as my Caldigit TS3+. But if it can avoid having to replugin in my computer several times a day when it refuses to wake the monitors - I'll deal with the annoying form factor issues.

(Note: I use my dock with a windows machine 95% of the time - and the TS3+ has the issue where it doesn't wake up the monitor properly so I'm left looking at a blank screen on both the larger monitor and the built in display of the laptop. I have to unplug the dock cable and re-plug in to get it to wake up an recognize it needs to display on the monitors). I just got the Satechi so will have to see how it fares for the next week or so.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I received the Satechi TB4 dock today and it has been working flawlessly. Whereas I had immediate issues waking/sleeping my monitors with the TS3 plus and ports randomly falling asleep, the Satechi dock has worked perfectly. Wish I had read about TB4 more carefully, as waking/sleeping devices is actually one of the things that was improved over TB3. I'll give an update if issues come up with this dock, but I'll be returning my TS3 Plus and keeping the Satechi. I only wish I had grabbed this back in December when it was on sale for $250 at Best Buy. I would highly recommend the Satechi to anyone here experiencing issues with the TS3 Plus.
Just wondering, a review on BestBuy indicates that they are not getting full gigabit ethernet speed through this dock (think they said they're getting around 600mbits). Have you tested your ethernet speed?

jpopfan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Just wondering, a review on BestBuy indicates that they are not getting full gigabit ethernet speed through this dock (think they said they're getting around 600mbits). Have you tested your ethernet speed?
I saw the same review but when I tested my Satechi TB4 dock I was able to get line rate on the gigabit ethernet port, i.e. > 930Mbps using speedtest.net on a gigabit internet connection.

Reactions: macphoto861

SneedSama

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
Sneed's Feed and Seed
I am also getting the same speed as with the TS3 Plus (unfortunately no fiber available in my neighborhood). One thing to note is that this dock does not show up as connected to the thunderbolt ethernet port. It shows up as USB ethernet. I believe the TS3 has its own NIC.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I am also getting the same speed as with the TS3 Plus (unfortunately no fiber available in my neighborhood). One thing to note is that this dock does not show up as connected to the thunderbolt ethernet port. It shows up as USB ethernet. I believe the TS3 has its own NIC.
Yeah, no fiber here either :( but I run iPerf on my media server Mac that lets me conduct LAN speed tests.

I purchased a different thunderbolt dock recently, and found that its ethernet was limited to 600-700mbps, just like my current USB-C dock. That sent me down a rabbit hole of research that reached the conclusion that you allude to... the problem is that on many of these docks, the ethernet controller is a Realtek that is connected to the USB bus, and the driver that is used relies on the computer's CPU doing much of the work instead of the ethernet controller, so it's inefficient. Meanwhile, the TS3 apparently uses an Intel controller that is connected to the PCIe bus, and it has a much more efficient driver.

Complicating things even further, from what I've read, it sounds like the problem with the USB-connected ethernet controller is specific to M1 Macs... people with Intel Macs can (I think, if I read correctly) install a better Realtek driver (either that, or the generic driver just performs better on Intel Macs). That could explain why some people say the ethernet port of various docks perform as expected, while others complain of the slower speed.

Now, to REALLY get out into the weeds, let me bring up another point. I had a basic USB ethernet dongle in a drawer, which has the same Realtek controller as the Thunderbolt dock I tried (and returned). If I plug that directly into my MBP (well, via a USB-A to USB-C adapter), I get full gigabit speed, even though it's reported to have the same controller as the dock's poor-performing ethernet port. And yet another mystery, plugging this dongle into the USB port of the dock yields poor performance. IOW, the dongle works fine directly connected to the computer, but connected to the dock's USB port (which has plenty of bandwidth available, so that's not the issue) it is only 600-700mbps.

narimangafurov

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
Hello everyone! I just put on my MacBook M1 Pro Max beta version of Monterey 12.3 Apple has been corrected the problem with sleep mode and Bluetoth devices.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
I should've sent back my TS3, now TS4 is out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jimbotech

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2022
I have two monitors (Acer and LG), a TS3, and an MBP max. The LG is hdmi 2.0, the Acer is hdmi 1.4, I think both are dp 1.2. I can't get the Acer monitor to support 60Hz via HDMI so I haven't attempted that configuration.
  • Whichever monitor I connect through the TS3 thunderbolt port consistently has the sleep problem.
  • Whichever monitor I connect through the TS3 DP port doesn't have the sleep problem.
  • Whichever monitor I connect directly through the mac doesn't have the sleep problem.

As far as I can tell, my options appear to be:
  • plugin one extra cable directly to the MBP - a minor inconvenience (current solution)
  • install Amphetamine (described a page earlier in this thread) - I'm a bit concerned about the potential extra power consumption and impact on device longevity.
  • wait for the problem to be fixed
  • buy a proven hub that doesn't have this issue (seems like a costly solution to avoid plugging in an additional cable).

Unless a new hub offers some significant feature I didn't know I needed, I think I'm probably just in "live with it" mode for the foreseeable future.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
I have two monitors (Acer and LG), a TS3, and an MBP max. The LG is hdmi 2.0, the Acer is hdmi 1.4, I think both are dp 1.2. I can't get the Acer monitor to support 60Hz via HDMI so I haven't attempted that configuration.
  • Whichever monitor I connect through the TS3 thunderbolt port consistently has the sleep problem.
  • Whichever monitor I connect through the TS3 DP port doesn't have the sleep problem.
  • Whichever monitor I connect directly through the mac doesn't have the sleep problem.

As far as I can tell, my options appear to be:
  • plugin one extra cable directly to the MBP - a minor inconvenience (current solution)
  • install Amphetamine (described a page earlier in this thread) - I'm a bit concerned about the potential extra power consumption and impact on device longevity.
  • wait for the problem to be fixed
  • buy a proven hub that doesn't have this issue (seems like a costly solution to avoid plugging in an additional cable).

Unless a new hub offers some significant feature I didn't know I needed, I think I'm probably just in "live with it" mode for the foreseeable future.
Yeah I agree my solution with amphetamine isn't sustainable.

I personally connected my LG trough HDMI to USB-C directly on the Mac, which now works fine. My other screen is directly connected on the TS3's DP port. But IIRC, Apple fixed something because I had issue even when the LG screen were connected in HDMI directly to my Mac. It's a minor inconvenience I'm quite happy with and way better than my amphetamine solution for sure.

Last edited:

jdwusami

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Michigan
This is an annoyance for sure; I just emailed Caldigit. The dock worked fine with my 2019 MacBook Pro, but now that I have the 2021 M1 Max MBP, my monitor connected over DP has never woken from sleep.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
This is an annoyance for sure; I just emailed Caldigit. The dock worked fine with my 2019 MacBook Pro, but now that I have the 2021 M1 Max MBP, my monitor connected over DP has never woken from sleep.

Is it an LG too ?
Have you tried over USB-C ?
I personally tried every combination possible, and it seems to only affect my LG screen.

yardguyfriday

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2022
I know it's not the ideal way to solve the issue but I bit the bullet and purchased CalDigit's new TB4 (Thunderbolt 4) hub which seems to have resolved all my issues. I have my MacBook Pro (M1 Max) plugged into it with the provided TB4 cable, and two monitors connected each via TB3 cable. Sleep and wake all work fine.

This also seems to have resolved an old issue I had on the TS3 Plus where my LG monitor would never be able to sleep properly (via DisplayPort) so I had to unplug my Mac every night, which I'm glad I don't have to do anymore.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
I know it's not the ideal way to solve the issue but I bit the bullet and purchased CalDigit's new TB4 (Thunderbolt 4) hub which seems to have resolved all my issues. I have my MacBook Pro (M1 Max) plugged into it with the provided TB4 cable, and two monitors connected each via TB3 cable. Sleep and wake all work fine.

This also seems to have resolved an old issue I had on the TS3 Plus where my LG monitor would never be able to sleep properly (via DisplayPort) so I had to unplug my Mac every night, which I'm glad I don't have to do anymore.

You mean TS4 and not TB4 right ? Because the TB4 isn't a new product so just asking to be sure

feiticeira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Hi folks,
OP here. I was curious if any of the original posters on this thread are still having this problem? My wake from sleep issues seems to have, for the most part at least, been resolved. I didn't do anything special, and I'm still on the original OS, but it looks like a software update along the way (presumably) has rectified this issue.

I can now put the machine to sleep, and wake with no issues. There's the occasional glitch where I have to unplug/replug but its functioning as it should. Happy days.

feiticeira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2021
Same for me, but it still does wake up the dock and attached monitors every 15 minutes or so.
Hmm, maybe you have some kind of background process which wakes your computer. Does it do that when you're not plugged into the dock and the laptop is sitting open?

I do find it is sensitive, for example if a download completes while it sleeps then it wakes.. I haven't tested this theory too much but I feel as if that's happened once or twice. But yes, at least its fixed for the most part. It was so annoying stepping away from the desk and then furiously bashing every key and mouse pointer to try and wake the machine.. only to unplug/replug :/

Not missing that!

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Apple Silicon Macs are always on and do run background tasks from time to time when in sleep. It shouldn't wake up the dock though or at least the screen should stay asleep instead of waking up with a "no signal" message.

issamkhatib

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I had my screen flicker after sleep or standby on MacbookPro 2022 and Caldigit TS3 plus.
I have the Samsung 34" Ultrawide and I seem to have fixed this issue following some random steps.

On the MBP
1. Downloaded the Firmware Updater and Driver from the https://downloads.caldigit.com/
2. Ran both and had to restart several times
3. The driver requests to enable security extensions feature (link1 below)

On the Screen (link2)
1. From the Screen Menu -> System
2. Switch off FreeSync
3. Set DisplayPort Version to a higher one (my case 1.1 -> 1.2)
4. Set HDMI Mode to a higher one (my case 1.4 -> 2.0)
5. Switched Source Detection to Manual (my screen has 3 inputs and was on automatic mode)

After a complete shutdown and startup, I am no longer encountering the flicker or problem with the screen.

I hope this helps someone out there and if you find any other workaround, please share :) .

cheers,

link1

link2 (I have the older version of this screen (2018-2019)

Reactions: pier and Starmina

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I had my screen flicker after sleep or standby on MacbookPro 2022 and Caldigit TS3 plus.
I have the Samsung 34" Ultrawide and I seem to have fixed this issue following some random steps.

On the MBP
1. Downloaded the Firmware Updater and Driver from the https://downloads.caldigit.com/
2. Ran both and had to restart several times
3. The driver requests to enable security extensions feature (link1 below)

On the Screen (link2)
1. From the Screen Menu -> System
2. Switch off FreeSync
5. Switched Source Detection to Manual (my screen has 3 inputs and was on automatic mode)

After a complete shutdown and startup, I am no longer encountering the flicker or problem with the screen.

I hope this helps someone out there and if you find any other workaround, please share :) .

cheers,

link1

link2 (I have the older version of this screen (2018-2019)
This seems crazy, but I'm testing it since a few days, and it actually works, finally only one cable linked to my MBP ! Thanks a lot. I've installed both the Firmware Updater and Driver.
I couldn't set minimal HDMI/DP Version though. I also disabled FreeSync.
**Maybe** If it was fixed in a macOS update, but I don't think so because I tested every few months since and it never worked. My LG Screen now react exactly as if it were connected directly to the MBP.
Thanks a bunch.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
2. Switch off FreeSync

Thanks for this.

I was already in DP 1.4 but I disabled free sync in my LG monitor and now everything is much less clunky when waking up.

I'm using a Wavlink TB3 dock instead of a CalDigit. When waking up, typically I got a couple of black screen flashes until things settled down. Now the display just turns on as expected (obviously slower than the internal display of the MBP).

Just did this and tested a couple of times. Fingers crossed!

Edit:

This seems to work when waking up from "light" sleep, but I'm still having the issue when the MBP has been asleep for a longer time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.