Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
Thanks for this.

I was already in DP 1.4 but I disabled free sync in my LG monitor and now everything is much less clunky when waking up.

I'm using a Wavlink TB3 dock instead of a CalDigit. When waking up, typically I got a couple of black screen flashes until things settled down. Now the display just turns on as expected (obviously slower than the internal display of the MBP).

Just did this and tested a couple of times. Fingers crossed!

Edit:

This seems to work when waking up from "light" sleep, but I'm still having the issue when the MBP has been asleep for a longer time.
I can confirm as of 2024 there's no way around this issue for these "bugged" LG monitor.

rex4mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
many users had been reported the same blanking video issues for years, and most cases had been happened to with Apple silicon MB or MBP . It's proofed that had been caused by the firmware of CalDigit docking station.

Blank screen issues: CalDigit TS3+ and CalDigit TS4 docking station with MBP M1/M2/M3 ...etc.

Solution: Monitor setting DP 1.4 changed to DP1.2 .
for monitors without the DP version setting, then you need to turn off -on the monitor or unplug/replug the monitor.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254605412?sortBy=best

Starmina

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2020
many users had been reported the same blanking video issues for years, and most cases had been happened to with Apple silicon MB or MBP . It's proofed that had been caused by the firmware of CalDigit docking station.

Blank screen issues: CalDigit TS3+ and CalDigit TS4 docking station with MBP M1/M2/M3 ...etc.

Solution: Monitor setting DP 1.4 changed to DP1.2 .
for monitors without the DP version setting, then you need to turn off -on the monitor or unplug/replug the monitor.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254605412?sortBy=best
I just tried it,

While in DP (and in DP 1.2, for that matter), the screen seems to wake up instantly indeed (for now), but the backlight also randomly power-on all the times. For now the most stable solution for me is to stay in HDMI to USB-C + an Hammerspoon script that turn off / on the power to my LG screen (with an outlet connected to HomeAssistant) until it's connected back. (Yeah cause disconnecting / reconnecting it ONE time sometimes isn't even enough. That's an aweful solution that "work" for now.
Or just connect the screen directly to my mac, but I don't want that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.