Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Air Video HD is ok but it only plays some file types not all. Plus the server hasn't been updated in years. The client app sure about 8 months ago.

If no one can do this no big deal just a request.

I know use Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin but I don't like Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin.

I like how Air Video HD the files do not have to actually be indexed you just add hard drive directories to see and they show up.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Have you tried Infuse app? It sounds like it would meet your needs.

You can get the pro version for free if you sign up to beta test their new app

BAFE3E5F-9DC6-414D-8FC8-5009C62649CF.png

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Thanks yes but how am i suppose to stream and x265 file from my computer to Infuse Pro when out and about over 4g lte or remote wifi ? I don't like Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin.

You can host your media files on Cloud services such as Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive or even iCloud etc and use Infuse to connect to that drive and stream whenever.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
You can host your media files on Cloud services such as Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive or even iCloud etc and use Infuse to connect to that drive and stream whenever.

I tried that. It buffers a lot.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Are you using cellular data or Wi-Fi? Cellular data isn’t ideal to stream most media unless they are web optimized and smaller file size. Does it buffer when using Wi-Fi?

I tried both remotely. Both buffer. Cellular data and Wi-Fi.

jsauger

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
@Banglazed did you ever find a solution
Air Video HD is ok but it only plays some file types not all. Plus the server hasn't been updated in years. The client app sure about 8 months ago.

If no one can do this no big deal just a request.

I know use Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin but I don't like Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin.

I like how Air Video HD the files do not have to actually be indexed you just add hard drive directories to see and they show up.
Did you ever find a solution? I agree 100% with everything you said here and have been searching for a replacement for AirVideo HD.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
@Banglazed did you ever find a solution

Did you ever find a solution? I agree 100% with everything you said here and have been searching for a replacement for AirVideo HD.

Not really but I got Air Video HD to semi work but not perfectly.

I still get buffering with large 20 GB to 70 GB + files :(

I fear soon it will stop working all together but not sure when. I just wish it would work as good as Emby or Plex. Even though they don't work perfectly either really. I just prefer Air Video HD.

I emailed the developer but no response :(

mklnz

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
I have the same problem… what I like about Air Video HD is the fact that you do not need to index, a folder is sufficient. It’s good for videos that are not really organised or renamed properly.

Infuse, VLC etc can play the videos, but you have no way to encode on the server side so that the videos are lower bitrate for cellular data or slow networks

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Have you tried nPlayer Plus (8.99 dollar) or nPlayer (4.99 dollar) possibly that has what you want?
They also have a free but limited 'nPlayer Lite' version which you can test first. See also their website.

They have been around for quite a while and are a cheaper alternative for Infuse not sure though if it offers what you are asking but wanted to bring it to your attention since it possibly could be what you look for.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Have you tried nPlayer Plus (8.99 dollar) or nPlayer (4.99 dollar) possibly that has what you want?
They also have a free but limited 'nPlayer Lite' version which you can test first. See also their website.

They have been around for quite a while and are a cheaper alternative for Infuse not sure though if it offers what you are asking but wanted to bring it to your attention since it possibly could be what you look for.

Yes I use that now for local files but it does not work over the internet like Air Video HD does!

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I have the same problem… what I like about Air Video HD is the fact that you do not need to index, a folder is sufficient. It’s good for videos that are not really organised or renamed properly.

Infuse, VLC etc can play the videos, but you have no way to encode on the server side so that the videos are lower bitrate for cellular data or slow networks
Infuse is suppose to have that feature in the future but no idea when.

Even though I don't like the GUI

Air Video HD was the only app and reason mostly I stayed on iOS with a iPhone but it doesn't mean I will go Android it just sucks is all. I hate how Android slows down anyway.

I wonder why the developer never replies to emails for Air Video HD ?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Yes I use that now for local files but it does not work over the internet like Air Video HD does!
Ok sorry that nPlayer is no alternative for the feature you are looking for and which is available in the Air Video HD app which isn't updated anymore.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Ok sorry that nPlayer is no alternative for the feature you are looking for and which is available in the Air Video HD app which isn't updated anymore.

No need to be sorry.

Thanks for trying!

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Sorry but does anyone know how Air Video HD works exactly and if someone will be able to create another app like it but for 4k files in the future you think ?

I mean yes Air Video HD sorta semi kinda works with 4k files but not perfectly.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Sorry but does anyone know how Air Video HD works exactly and if someone will be able to create another app like it but for 4k files in the future you think ?

I mean yes Air Video HD sorta semi kinda works with 4k files but not perfectly.
Sorry can't answer I did ask around in the AppRaven community and as was brought up earlier here VLC was mentioned which might offer it?

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Sorry can't answer I did ask around in the AppRaven community and as was brought up earlier here VLC was mentioned which might offer it?

Thanks.

No VLC only serves local network files on your own network not remotely like on 4g lte or 5g :(

It is ok though.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Those of you that still use Air Video HD what bitrate do you put video on for cellular ? I know max is 2 Mbps about. Plus I know default is 512 Kbps.

Can you notice the difference between 512 Kbps and 2 Mbps streaming video quality ?

DJ Noise

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2022
I agree Air Video HD was the best also for me, streaming over 3g/4g/ was never a problem over these years.
A server update is needed in 2022 but the dev site are no more accessible today.
I searched to an alternative but not yet found.
The user management and streaming over cellular is the most important feature.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I moved on to a better way. Still miss it a little though Air Video HD.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Plus nPlayer Plus or Infuse Pro directly playing files remotely from my Synology NAS.

Reactions: pacorob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.