Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
thanks šŸ‘

Your welcome.

Don't forget my other way which is in my opinion the best but only when I have enough speed/bandwidth when out and about!

nPlayer Plus or Infuse Pro directly playing files remotely from my Synology NAS.

Fujay

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
There's an opportunity to be had for a developer who wanted to put the effort in. Every year or so I look for an alternative to Air Video HD for the reasons the OP posted. It's almost there, but slowly it's starting to fall behind as technology advances. There are two main issues I have:

1) The video controls are custom, overriding the default player on iOS and tvOS. On the phone, you can only jump in 30 second blocks, which is really too long. I think that is a leftover from the original Air Video, when we had less bandwidth, and so a 30 second jump made sense. But with 5G and Wifi-6, the jump value should either be made less, or even made customizable (ex - 5s, 10s, or 15s). And it's extremely awkward to do small jumps on tvOS.
2) No 4K support. I have a 4K TV, but cannot use Air Video to watch full-resolution videos on my TV

## Edit ##
3) No Shareplay. I'd love to be able to watch videos with my friends on Air Video, but as this API was introduced in a newer version of iOS since Air Video was last updated, it's cannot be used on Air Video, missing a great opportunity.
## End edit ##

What I do like:
* Has tvOS and iOS apps - and is ok on an iPad
* Can watch videos over cellular
* Multi-user accounts
* Options to determine quality based on local wifi, remote wifi, and cellular data

The owners should create a successor, Air Video 4K. I'd be happy to pay for it. In the meantime, as it doesn't appear the owners are that interested in doing so, there is a major opportunity for someone else to come in and build a better mousetrap. Air Video and Air Video HD have been massively successful since the early days of the iphone, and a successor that keeps up with advancement in technology would likely see good sales as well.

Last edited:

Fujay

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
I just found Air Flow - this is the best Air Video HD I've found for streaming to my tvOS so far. It's made specifically for streaming videos from a computer to a TV on the local network however, not for streaming to any device. So, no watching videos on iPhone iPad, or outside the home network. So there is still a gap. But at least I'm well able to watch 4K videos on my home network, and the video interface is the native tvOS interface as well. Plus there is a really nice iphone app that can be used as a remote, that works really well for selecting videos, as well as scrubbing.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
There's an opportunity to be had for a developer who wanted to put the effort in. Every year or so I look for an alternative to Air Video HD for the reasons the OP posted. It's almost there, but slowly it's starting to fall behind as technology advances. There are two main issues I have:

1) The video controls are custom, overriding the default player on iOS and tvOS. On the phone, you can only jump in 30 second blocks, which is really too long. I think that is a leftover from the original Air Video, when we had less bandwidth, and so a 30 second jump made sense. But with 5G and Wifi-6, the jump value should either be made less, or even made customizable (ex - 5s, 10s, or 15s). And it's extremely awkward to do small jumps on tvOS.
2) No 4K support. I have a 4K TV, but cannot use Apple Video to watch full-resolution videos on my TV

What I do like:
* Has tvOS and iOS apps - and is ok on an iPad
* Can watch videos over cellular
* Multi-user accounts
* Options to determine quality based on local wifi, remote wifi, and cellular data

The owners should create a successor, Air Video 4K. I'd be happy to pay for it. In the meantime, as it doesn't appear the owners are that interested in doing so, there is a major opportunity for someone else to come in and build a better mousetrap. Air Video and Air Video HD have been massively successful since the early days of the iphone, and a successor that keeps up with advancement in technology would likely see good sales as well.
Your right.

I just found Air Flow - this is the best Air Video HD I've found for streaming to my tvOS so far. It's made specifically for streaming videos from a computer to a TV on the local network however, not for streaming to any device. So, no watching videos on iPhone iPad, or outside the home network. So there is still a gap. But at least I'm well able to watch 4K videos on my home network, and the video interface is the native tvOS interface as well. Plus there is a really nice iphone app that can be used as a remote, that works really well for selecting videos, as well as scrubbing.

Thanks but like you said not a solution on iPhone, iPad, or outside the home network :(

Fujay

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Yeah. Air Video is still the king for that, but again, is starting to fall behind.

Another feature I really want is to be able to Shareplay videos, so that my friend and I can watch a video together. Air Video doesn't offer this option, as it's been introduced into iOS since they last updated the app.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Yeah. Air Video is still the king for that, but again, is starting to fall behind.

Another feature I really want is to be able to Shareplay videos, so that my friend and I can watch a video together. Air Video doesn't offer this option, as it's been introduced into iOS since they last updated the app.

If I knew how to develop apps I would do it myself.

Fujay

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
I'm a developer, but not of apps. I've been considering taking it on, but I'd create something amateur, as I'd be learning while I went. The ideal option would be for Air Video to spend some development time, releasing a new updated version of their app. The next best option would be a competent iOS app developer build one. But every year, when I can't find a great replacement, I consider whether I should just bite the bullet and put in the time and effort to learn and do it.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I'm a developer, but not of apps. I've been considering taking it on, but I'd create something amateur, as I'd be learning while I went. The ideal option would be for Air Video to spend some development time, releasing a new updated version of their app. The next best option would be a competent iOS app developer build one. But every year, when I can't find a great replacement, I consider whether I should just bite the bullet and put in the time and effort to learn and do it.

Cool. Are you a developer of programs on Windows or Mac or something else ? If you can say or want to say. Up to you.

To bad Air Video HD could not go open source :(

Fujay

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Cool. Are you a developer of programs on Windows or Mac or something else ? If you can say or want to say. Up to you.

I build web systems for corporate and government. So the level of programming isn't out of my ability to learn, I just don't have the hours into it to know the intricacies.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I build web systems for corporate and government. So the level of programming isn't out of my ability to learn, I just don't have the hours into it to know the intricacies.

Ok.

Spikey86

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
It appears Air Video HD. was removed from the app store today and I can no longer get my server to run. The end of an era. I finally need to move on, max2, do you find nPlayer Plus and Infuse Pro just as good as Air Video HD?

And by the way, I read through this thread and agree with everything loved about air video hd.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

Fujay

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Hopefully that means that they're about to release an updated version.
In the meantime, I actually started studying Swift development, so I can build apple apps. I'll post back here if there is no Air Video 4K, and no one else fills in the missing gap.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
It appears Air Video HD. was removed from the app store today and I can no longer get my server to run. The end of an era. I finally need to move on, max2, do you find nPlayer Plus and Infuse Pro just as good as Air Video HD?

And by the way, I read through this thread and agree with everything loved about air video hd.

Not really. Though they work. Just no way to transcode so it always direct plays and 4g lte or 5g is not always fast enough to play large video files directly :(

sersupremo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
It looks like the app was removed from the appstore. But only the viewer app is gone now, because the server app is still available in the airvideohd website.
I use the viewer app perfectly in my m1 mac, that I downloaded when it was in the appstore, and then i have just tested here to copy the air video hd viewer app to another mac m1, and it worked perfectly. Now we can at least use it in the mac with this legacy backuped app files! šŸ’ŖšŸ¼

AAFFC17B-E56B-40EB-8679-F74DDF2ED438.jpeg

dickiedunn

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2019
I can't seem to get my new M1 iPad Pro with old version of Air Video HD to connect to the Air Video server anymore. Any thoughts? It still works on my old iPad, which is weird.

plugster31

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
I have air video HD working a treat using version 2.2.1 and using VLC 32 2.2.1 which is available for the old archives on VLC player website for all the correct codecs and Iā€™ve installed X264 from VLC site and works a dream. If anyone is struggling for the older versions to make everything work I can upload or share them just drop me a message. Wouldnā€™t want an alternative to Air video HD just got this one to work. 2.2.1 was the last supported version and ensure you donā€™t allow it to upgrade from that or the Upnp port mapping wonā€™t work.

Attachments

• AAEFC0F4-5E04-44E0-8622-16FE23A2AB44.png
    AAEFC0F4-5E04-44E0-8622-16FE23A2AB44.png
    321.9 KB · Views: 67
  • ED9EC337-4B05-4278-B623-1AE045084896.png
    ED9EC337-4B05-4278-B623-1AE045084896.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 97EEB35A-224F-415B-B2FF-C65A0277AEFC.png
    97EEB35A-224F-415B-B2FF-C65A0277AEFC.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 79

plugster31

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
I have air video HD working a treat using version 2.2.1 and using VLC 32 2.2.1 which is available for the old archives on VLC player website for all the correct codecs and Iā€™ve installed X264 from VLC site and works a dream. If anyone is struggling for the older versions to make everything work I can upload or share them just drop me a message. Wouldnā€™t want an alternative to Air video HD just got this one to work. 2.2.1 was the last supported version and ensure you donā€™t allow it to upgrade from that or the Upnp port mapping wonā€™t work.

Attachments

• 86FCAAF3-5862-46C6-ADFA-7EB05E46C56E.png
    86FCAAF3-5862-46C6-ADFA-7EB05E46C56E.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 76

plugster31

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Air Video HD is ok but it only plays some file types not all. Plus the server hasn't been updated in years. The client app sure about 8 months ago.

If no one can do this no big deal just a request.

I know use Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin but I don't like Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin.

I like how Air Video HD the files do not have to actually be indexed you just add hard drive directories to see and they show up.

Attachments

• 394BE40C-E158-4817-8C6E-16B45A152B1B.png
    394BE40C-E158-4817-8C6E-16B45A152B1B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 505939F4-9B19-4259-9510-DFE21637A3A2.png
    505939F4-9B19-4259-9510-DFE21637A3A2.png
    321.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 6759C6D1-543C-4C2B-A2E5-06B762FFA838.png
    6759C6D1-543C-4C2B-A2E5-06B762FFA838.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 72

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015

I dare you to try a x265 that is 10 GB + with subtitles too on.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I decided I am building my own that constantly prebuffers if even possible so no matter what file size no buffering

avmsam

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto, ON
i'm looking for an air video hd alternative too. i switched phones recently and it won't install airvideo hd. it says not in app store anymore.

for me i want something that has the mac server app and client app on iPhone & appletv. i love the simplicity of airvideo hd. just point the server to a few folders and done. on client app it just shows it how it is as folders & files, no trying to be a library with metadata and all that.

i use plex too but not for what i use airvideo hd for.

the airvideo hd server app on mac still works btw just the client iOS app doesn't. is there an app for iOS that would work with the air video hd server app ?

anything else out there that has simple server app for mac and simple folders & files layout for client iOS app ?

can we pull the airvideo hd ipa file from somewhere like an old iTunes backup and side load it onto iPhone or anything like that ?

or is there some simple way to do this for video from mac to iPhone & appletv that i'm unaware of ?

Last edited:

Xanthos

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
i'm looking for an air video hd alternative too. i switched phones recently and it won't install airvideo hd. it says not in app store anymore.

for me i want something that has the mac server app and client app on iPhone & appletv. i love the simplicity of airvideo hd. just point the server to a few folders and done. on client app it just shows it how it is as folders & files, no trying to be a library with metadata and all that.

i use plex too but not for what i use airvideo hd for.

the airvideo hd server app on mac still works btw just the client iOS app doesn't. is there an app for iOS that would work with the air video hd server app ?

anything else out there that has simple server app for mac and simple folders & files layout for client iOS app ?

can we pull the airvideo hd ipa file from somewhere like an old iTunes backup and side load it onto iPhone or anything like that ?

or is there some simple way to do this for video from mac to iPhone & appletv that i'm unaware of ?
Same here.

Just switched to the new iPad Pro and found out that Air Video HD is gone from the appstore.

Tried Jellyfin but it doesn't sort by folders and is a terrible mess for me. Just can't seem to find an alternative, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.