Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2023
Yes because AirVideo HD does not do x265 videos.

Jiust for it to work well.

I have used Infuse 7 I don't always have another speed of a connection, 4g lte or 5g+, to be able to video stream a direct file over the internet that is 60 to 80GB.
So you have a computer and you'd like to make a folder visible/share over the internet so you can access it through an iOS app? Does the server have to run on Windows or macOS or both?

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
I would love it if someone took up where Airvideo HD left off. I like plex but I like the folder structure flexibility of AirVideo HD has when talking anime and OVAs

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
@max2 Just to understand, why not use Infuse 7? Together with an FTP server?

Air Video HD has transcoding. Infuse does not.

Helps on slow cellular internet connection but hopefully one day we can get guaranteed 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps 24/7.

I dislike when video buffers.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2023
Air Video HD has transcoding. Infuse does not.

Helps on slow cellular internet connection but hopefully one day we can get guaranteed 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps 24/7.

I dislike when video buffers.
Oh you also need transcoding... Well that is beyond my capabilities. Why not use Emby?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I would love it if someone took up where Airvideo HD left off. I like plex but I like the folder structure flexibility of AirVideo HD has when talking anime and OVAs
I haven't used Air Video in years so excuse me if I'm missing the point but:
In your Plex client app you can set the view of a specific media source to 'folder' to access the pure folder structure of your shared directory.
Wouldn't that achieve a similar thing?
> You can (remotely) access your original folder structure and files with transcoding on demand (including mkv and HEVC).

Last edited:
Reactions: tbone7467

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
its just hard to let go of things you like. Honestly i preferred Airvideo over Plex. Im a plex pass holder so i know how to use it. I dont have any rhyme or reason. haha you like what you like. Thank you arw for the info I appreciate your input.

Reactions: lancemcv1 and arw

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Air Video HD, any version, does not have great reliability.

It works but freezes/buffers a lot. :(

I tried.

Even when staying in one spot sitting down remotely.

This is with big files though. My computer is powerful enough.

Try all qualities no matter which one it still freezes/buffers.

Even a small video like 1.23 GB would buffer while in the car as a passenger. Movie was around 1 hour and 30 something minutes long.

plugster31

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Air Video HD, any version, does not have great reliability.

It works but freezes/buffers a lot. :(

I tried.

Even when staying in one spot sitting down remotely.

This is with big files though. My computer is powerful enough.

Try all qualities no matter which one it still freezes/buffers.

Even a small video like 1.23 GB would buffer while in the car as a passenger. Movie was around 1 hour and 30 something minutes long.
Mine doesn’t using 2.2.1 and downloading VLC 2.2.1 to match from the archives but doesn’t play 265 anything even large a long as 264. Reinstalled on all new IOS iPad and IPhone and works perfectly and the download and convert is great when going on the plane or a place with no signal or WiFi. 4g and 5g works perfectly on these versions for the codecs. Have you tried 2.2.1 along with VLC 2.2.1?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Mine doesn’t using 2.2.1 and downloading VLC 2.2.1 to match from the archives but doesn’t play 265 anything even large a long as 264. Reinstalled on all new IOS iPad and IPhone and works perfectly and the download and convert is great when going on the plane or a place with no signal or WiFi. 4g and 5g works perfectly on these versions for the codecs. Have you tried 2.2.1 along with VLC 2.2.1?

Yes but i sometimes use x265 as well. Is that the deal breaker? If so it won't work :(

I never use download and convert. Always stream maybe that is my problem ?

plugster31

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Yes but i sometimes use x265 as well. Is that the deal breaker? If so it won't work :(

I never use download and convert. Always stream maybe that is my problem ?
X265 won’t work on 2.2.1 but that version is the most stable. Try download and convert great option if on the move. Airvideo HD still working a dream for me get no issue or glitching and buffering but using 264 files even large ones so may be that’s the difference

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
X265 won’t work on 2.2.1 but that version is the most stable. Try download and convert great option if on the move. Airvideo HD still working a dream for me get no issue or glitching and buffering but using 264 files even large ones so may be that’s the difference

What kind of iPhone or iPad do you have? 1 TB and 2 TB version ? Just asking sorry.

plugster31

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
Not that large don’t need to as store everything on my airvideo server and streams most things I have about 12tb on my server to store movies and series and watch from there only download if flying or going to an area with crap 5g or no WiFi

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I wish x265 files worked right without freezes/buffer or not at all.

Oh well.

Guess it requires a new app like air video hd (which will never happen) or an update to air video hd (which will never happen either)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.