Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Why dos appl have to make evything so backward?

DRAG, DROP, DONE.

It should be that simple?????

How do i get video on my iphone 13 pro?!

I have made a video in premiere, 62mb, h264.

I have tried to add to a folder on desktop called IPHONE and then in itunes import it, with video selected... nothing!

I have tried to add to photos and import there, nothing.

Seriously dumb stuff this apple is!

How can i get the videos on my phone... such a simple ask isn;t it Tim?!

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
This is how I do it:

Have both the iPhone and Mac logged in to the same Apple ID and on the same wifi network (turn off VPNs). Enable Bluetooth and AirDrop on both devices. Open Finder on Mac and click "AirPlay" "AirDrop" in the sidebar. iPhone appears in the Finder window content area. Drag file to iPhone and accept incoming transfer on iPhone. Wait for file to transfer. Done.

Last edited:

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
This is how I do it:

Have both the iPhone and Mac logged in to the same Apple ID and on the same wifi network (turn off VPNs). Enable Bluetooth and AirDrop on both devices. Open Finder on Mac and click "AirPlay" in the sidebar. iPhone appears in the Finder window content area. Drag file to iPhone and accept incoming transfer on iPhone. Wait for file to transfer. Done.
Trid this... FINDER - NEW WINDOW - CLICK AIRDROP - But I dond't appear in airdrop... my phone does not appear?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Already looked at that..

I have airdrop to everyone clicked too...

I am not coming up on my own airdrop, phone and mac 5 inches apart, both on same wifi, both have bluetooth on
Are your devices managed on some way so that there might be policys applied to them? Airdrop can sometimes be blocked if its company devices. Any antivirus software or anything else that might block functionality?

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Are your devices managed on some way so that there might be policys applied to them? Airdrop can sometimes be blocked if its company devices. Any antivirus software or anything else that might block functionality?
No both my personal devices and I despise any sort of antivirus software so no. ?

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I have trid to use iTunes... put the video in a folder, synced that folder - a picture sync, but not video, and i have ticked sync video...
I hav wasted so far 1 hour on this! Had going to blow up.
How the hell is this meant to be media / creator frinedly?!

• Sad
Reactions: maternidad

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
It can be a number of things, just cuz you don't get it to work doesn't mean its not user friendly.
It may be something in your setup that causes things not to work.

Check so that both your devices are on the same network AND network frequency, log into your router and check if its a dual band/triple band router. That can be one issue that blocks airdrop from working.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
i have now had to rsort to using imessage to send it, it has worked but i HATE the way apple tries to corner you into evry single market!! i am now signd into icloud, itubes, i message... 1 hour and 20 min later i finally have on my phone,... but only because i had to duck and dive... i hate apple...
I don't even know if imnessage removs quality from the video... appl sucks

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
You can use iCloud Drive and drop it in there, airdrop it, iMessage it, use the Photos app, transfer via finder using a cable or transfer via a USB stick. The Apple ecosystem is actually pretty well connected. But… if you don’t want or can’t use these methods you are better off using an Android phone and a memory card (not meant as a negative dig).

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I have apple products, and like them, but their ecosystem has just caused me a blood clot in my brain, it should not be this bad! My day is screwed now cause I have lost time, can't focus and just feel let down by this badly thought out system! Why not just drag and drop?! FFS they love to overengineer, this is what happens when people try to hold onto their jobs, they go overboard!

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I have apple products, and like them, but their ecosystem has just caused me a blood clot in my brain, it should not be this bad! My day is screwed now cause I have lost time, can't focus and just feel let down by this badly thought out system! Why not just drag and drop?! FFS they love to overengineer, this is what happens when people try to hold onto their jobs, they go overboard!
Uh you can drag and drop the file into iCloud? Easiest thing ever? I do that daily. I even download macOS apps to iCloud on my iPhone and then install it later in the day on my Mac.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
...and OP, if you don't have the space in iCloud but do in some other cloud, you can drop it there too, to get it to your phone via the cloud.

However, another easy way is to use Home Sharing and a wired sync. Very simply, video I want on my iDevices is dragged into a playlist folder in the TV app (and this worked for me while still using iTunes on older macOS versions too). I haven't tried it in PC iTunes but would presume it works the same way there.

full

Choose to sync the playlist to the iDevice (in Finder on the Mac when iDevice is wired connected to Mac)...

full

...then click sync and it should be a selectable playlist in the iDevice TV app, Libraries, "movies" or "tv show" or whatever kind of video it is...

iDeviceTVsynch.jpg

This method needs no cloud at all and is a quick way to sync big files like video. Upload and then download from iCloud (or any cloud) tends to be SLOW for such huge files... and eats a lot of cellular bandwidth on that download if you are doing it away from wifi.

While I prefer the playlist method of synching because I quickly switch movies in and out of my playlist ahead of travel, clicking the "Movies" tab in the second image instead of Playlists will let you choose specific Movies to sync. The same works with TV Shows. Here's Apple's own step-by-step.

A good old wired sync is super fast and the file will already be on the iDevice instead of waiting for at least a couple of GBs to upload and then download from some Cloud. If you can't bring yourself to use a wire (fastest), this can also be done via wifi... which might be a little slower (or perhaps a little faster depending on your wifi setup)... but much faster than involving the Cloud.

And while this may look like a LOT of steps vs. "Drag, Drop, Done," once you have it set up this way ONCE, it becomes "Connect, Sync, Done..." and also delivers the great benefit of synching anything new (like recently shot photos) back to Mac so they are stored in more than one place. Connecting will also back up a copy of your iDevice so that if you lose that device, you can restore everything back on a replacement iDevice (iCloud can do this too but again, it will be faster to backup to your Mac... and faster to restore from Mac).

Attachments

• IDeviceTVsync.jpg
    IDeviceTVsync.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Uh you can drag and drop the file into iCloud? Easiest thing ever? I do that daily. I even download macOS apps to iCloud on my iPhone and then install it later in the day on my Mac.
I tried icloud and it did not work.. in fact i uploaded to icloud and it's not on my phone.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I tried icloud and it did not work.. in fact i uploaded to icloud and it's not on my phone.
‘How to geek’ has a good overview on how to transfer files. If your iCloud isn’t working, something else seems amiss. It never has issues for me, and my household has many iPhones, Macs and PCs that all use it (and Microsoft Drive btw, also works like a charm and is FREE for small file transfers)

Reactions: Cayden and mrk123

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
If airdrop isn’t working because your Mac is not detecting your iPhone, try restarting your iPhone. I know that sounds like the most annoying obvious piece of tech advice, but if your phone had been on for a while, airdrop can sometimes be wonky. Restarting the device, in my experience, usually helps.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
I use VLC as a media player on my iOS / iPad OS devices.

It's a simple as dragging media to the VLC folder in your device's finder tab.

But yeah, apple's own apps are design around you purchasing all media within them.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Dragging a big video file into iCloud Files takes a long time to actually get there. Just because it appears to be there in a Finder window doesn't mean it has uploaded. That involves a wait.

Then, checking the same storage location on your iDevice, Files app may appear that it is not on your phone because after the slow upload, it then is a slow download to the phone. And by slow, I mean that can take upwards of HOURS for huge files.

I suggest you bypass all this cloud stuff and use the "Connect, Sync, Done" option I described in #18. Your desired movies will be on your phone in what is typically only a few minute sync.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.