Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
It can be a number of things, just cuz you don't get it to work doesn't mean its not user friendly.
It may be something in your setup that causes things not to work.

Check so that both your devices are on the same network AND network frequency, log into your router and check if its a dual band/triple band router. That can be one issue that blocks airdrop from working.
Lol that’s like the opposite of user friendly. Nothing about file sharing on iOS is user friendly. User friendly would be plug my phone into the usb port and be able to browse the file system directly. A Motorola phone from 2002 is more user friendly than this convoluted AirDrop crap that relies on network services to be configured correctly. AirDrop is a great concept, but it still needs work.

Reactions: Unami

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
The people that reacted negatively to the OP just proved that they never used Apple products of yore where you could accomplish a task such as this just by taking a guess at what the logical process would be.

Because old Apple was much much more user friendly than new Apple.

Yet more proof that modern Apple is well out to lunch.
I honestly thought this was a troll post (and still do). Every line is "Tim needs to fix this" or "cam't even do X" or "seriously dumb apple". Huge oversimplification of the problem and assumption that their problem suddenly makes it the world's fault.

My logical guess would have been to AirDrop but if your devices aren't on the same account then why would you expect to be able to AirDrop to other people's devices without doing anything extra? If this is the case OR you are unsure then OP make sure to follow steps in the section "How to Adjust AirDrop Settings" and set it to Everyone.

Also the number of things you have to factor in is just crazy... Like what OS version? Are they up to date or trying to AirDrop from the latest OS to an OS from x years ago? The conditions of their devices. Does their machine have faulty bluetooth?

Highly doubt that whatever "old Apple" was, that it was a better experience than current technology (for people with zero familiarity with either). But if you are used to that period's technology's quirks then maybe that worked better for you.

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
Lol that’s like the opposite of user friendly. Nothing about file sharing on iOS is user friendly. User friendly would be plug my phone into the usb port and be able to browse the file system directly. A Motorola phone from 2002 is more user friendly than this convoluted AirDrop crap that relies on network services to be configured correctly. AirDrop is a great concept, but it still needs work.
Security researchers would have fun with your idea of user friendly. Anyway, majority of the cases: Click file -> AirDrop -> Select device is way more user friendly than what you just described. Has worked for me 99% of the time.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
It sounds like from your AirDrop issues and iCloud Drive not syncing, maybe you are logged into two different iCloud accounts?

btw I transfer photos using iMessage all the time off my corporate phone because the profile disables AirDrop.

You also *can* drag and drop using Finder, I use it regularly. If you plug your phone into your Mac, your iPhone should appear in the sidebar. You can go to the Files tab and drag and drop individual files into apps that support it. You may have to make a compromise while doing this, such as using VLC. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210598
Just reset my phon and still dos not appear in airdrop on my mac.. I am on High Sierra 10.13.6 tho, maybe that's not helping? My iphone is 13 pro.

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
Just reset my phon and still dos not appear in airdrop on my mac.. I am on High Sierra 10.13.6 tho, maybe that's not helping? My iphone is 13 pro.
Which version of iOS? Also try setting the AirDrop settings on the iPhone to Everyone.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I honestly thought this was a troll post (and still do). Every line is "Tim needs to fix this" or "cam't even do X" or "seriously dumb apple". Huge oversimplification of the problem and assumption that their problem suddenly makes it the world's fault.

My logical guess would have been to AirDrop but if your devices aren't on the same account then why would you expect to be able to AirDrop to other people's devices without doing anything extra? If this is the case OR you are unsure then OP make sure to follow steps in the section "How to Adjust AirDrop Settings" and set it to Everyone.

Also the number of things you have to factor in is just crazy... Like what OS version? Are they up to date or trying to AirDrop from the latest OS to an OS from x years ago? The conditions of their devices. Does their machine have faulty bluetooth?

Highly doubt that whatever "old Apple" was, that it was a better experience than current technology (for people with zero familiarity with either). But if you are used to that period's technology's quirks then maybe that worked better for you.
Yes i had lost my rational brain when I typed as Apple sent me on a wild goose chase, airdrop, ituns, photos app, imessage and more. Ridiculous. imessage ended up working in the end but my problem is with that I am worried tat files may be reduced in quality, like on whatsap. So I still have no favourable method.

I am on a 2011 mac pro with high sierra 10.13.6 and iphone 13 pro.... maybe there is a disconnect with them?
I had it set to everyone too.. Just restarted my phone now, still not coming up in airdrop, not sure what lse to try now. I am upping my game on instagram and need to start releasing more reels soon. I just want a simple method.
I used to be able to use itunes, sync a folder and tick include videos and it was job done.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Security researchers would have fun with your idea of user friendly. Anyway, majority of the cases: Click file -> AirDrop -> Select device is way more user friendly than what you just described. Has worked for me 99% of the time.
oh no! sEcUrItY!! I’m glad the experts have weighed in. There is no reason exposing any of the file system has to be insecure. There are way and Apple could write a watchdog app to scan for malicious files. You act like AirDrop is so safe. It’s not. I can still AirDrop you a Trojan.

Reactions: Unami

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
This is how I do it:

Have both the iPhone and Mac logged in to the same Apple ID and on the same wifi network (turn off VPNs). Enable Bluetooth and AirDrop on both devices. Open Finder on Mac and click "AirPlay" in the sidebar. iPhone appears in the Finder window content area. Drag file to iPhone and accept incoming transfer on iPhone. Wait for file to transfer. Done.
Airdrop in sidebar, otherwise perfect.

Reactions: Puonti

jbc25

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I’m surprised no one else has said this yet, but for Airdrop to work your iPhone has to be awake and unlocked in order to show up on your Mac as a device that’s available to receive files on Airdrop. You might already know this but it’s worth mentioning.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
I have apple products, and like them, but their ecosystem has just caused me a blood clot in my brain, it should not be this bad! My day is screwed now cause I have lost time, can't focus and just feel let down by this badly thought out system! Why not just drag and drop?! FFS they love to overengineer, this is what happens when people try to hold onto their jobs, they go overboard!

No drag and drop is probably a leftover from the days where Apple didn’t want you putting media on your device that you got from who knows where. They wanted you to buy media that you used on your iphone.

The iPhone/iOS is still very much a locked down electronics device. It is far from being a real computer (even though it could be).

Reactions: macfacts

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
oh no! sEcUrItY!! I’m glad the experts have weighed in. There is no reason exposing any of the file system has to be insecure. There are way and Apple could write a watchdog app to scan for malicious files. You act like AirDrop is so safe. It’s not. I can still AirDrop you a Trojan.
It seems like you are trying to oversimplify what that feature would be. It’s not that AirDrop is safe, it’s that the feature you want is like a hundred times more dangerous than AirDrop. I’m looking past “any” and assuming you mean Documents and Downloads type folders only. AirDrop is a basically drop box that accepts files only from known contacts or when you explicitly allow it. Having a way to have write AND read access to a phone’s file system, even considering limiting the scope of folders is way more dangerous and as I described will be more steps than AirDrop for most use cases.

• Love
Reactions: LinusR and heretiq

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

I’m with you. The initial post and subsequent comments from OP reeks of engineered outrage and blaming Tim Cook and Apple for a relatively simple issue that could be addressed by reading the proverbial manual. One great benefit of this thread though is seeing the example of grace and generosity of so many individuals looking past this and offering genuinely helpful suggestions and solutions to OP.

Last edited:

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
It seems like you are trying to oversimplify what that feature would be. It’s not that AirDrop is safe, it’s that the feature you want is like a hundred times more dangerous than AirDrop. I’m looking past “any” and assuming you mean Documents and Downloads type folders only. AirDrop is a basically drop box that accepts files only from known contacts or when you explicitly allow it. Having a way to have write AND read access to a phone’s file system, even considering limiting the scope of folders is way more dangerous and as I described will be more steps than AirDrop for most use cases.
AirDrop is a folder on the file system with UNIX permissions. Nothing more. The AirDrop app is facilitating copying a file to that location. It’s no more or less safe than sharing a folder from the file system directly. Your lack of understanding of how it works at a fundamental level is a result of Apple dressing it up to be magical. Just because Apple does something doesn’t mean it’s perfect or the best approach. And the way everyone blames the OP for being the problem and not accepting that Apples solution may be flawed is embarrassing. You people need to lose this Apple is perfect ideology…because they aren’t.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014

The amount of Googling to figure out how to do something was nearly zero with old Apple. That’s why I joined the cult.

Nowadays I have to Google stuff, my parents and siblings are calling me to try and figure out stuff, it just didn’t used to be that way.

That’s not progress.

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
The amount of Googling to figure out how to do something was nearly zero with old Apple. That’s why I joined the cult.

Nowadays I have to Google stuff, my parents and siblings are calling me to try and figure out stuff, it just didn’t used to be that way.

That’s not progress.
Could you provide some examples? The majority of the UI is pretty close in positioning to where it has always been so I'm having a hard time imagining how your interactions have changed.

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
AirDrop is a folder on the file system with UNIX permissions. Nothing more. The AirDrop app is facilitating copying a file to that location. It’s no more or less safe than sharing a folder from the file system directly. Your lack of understanding of how it works at a fundamental level is a result of Apple dressing it up to be magical. Just because Apple does something doesn’t mean it’s perfect or the best approach. And the way everyone blames the OP for being the problem and not accepting that Apples solution may be flawed is embarrassing. You people need to lose this Apple is perfect ideology…because they aren’t.
Like I said before AirDrop is only receiving a file. Not allowing the sender read access to other files on a system like a USB drive. You're trying to argue about the file being malicious or not but I'm not talking about that. A drop box file sharing mechanism will always conceptually be less dangerous than one that allows read-write.

I'm not blaming OP for their problem but the way they treat the problem as something that should just magically work. It has never always magically worked. The number of times I had to switch USB ports, restart my computer, put my devices into DFU mode is too much to remember that I would honestly forget I had to do that.

The other side to your "Apple is perfect ideology" is this kind of reasoning like: one user having troubles means that it's suddenly everybody else's fault; the system is terrible and they need to fix it. And the things that have been said in this thread perfectly exhibit that.

Reactions: LinusR and heretiq

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Could you provide some examples? The majority of the UI is pretty close in positioning to where it has always been so I'm having a hard time imagining how your interactions have changed.
Changing the wallpaper for one has become a nightmare. Give an iPhone to someone who’s never used an iPhone and ask them to change it. Guarantee they could figure it out instantly on iOS 15 or earlier and get frustrated and turn to Google on 16 or later.

On Sonoma, try setting one wallpaper per display with a single screensaver system-wide. Used to be a few clicks. Now it’s five minutes of fiddling and Googling to figure out how to make that happen.

“Share as PDF” used to be a menu item. Now it takes several menu jumps and forces you to save a file somewhere first, leaving all kinds of clutter behind.

Apple TV as a whole is way more confusing than Roku and takes so many more interactions just to get content playing.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head as I wait in line at the grocery store.

Reactions: blotchy-veil

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
@mrk123 your phone must be open and active to appear in airdrop. If it's locked with the screen off, it will not appear.

Also, if you turn on "Desktop & Documents Folders" within your iCloud Drive Sync Settings, the file will automatically appear in your Files app on your iPhone just by exporting to your Desktop. You don't even have to send it.

It's all quite simple, I assure you. Are you new to Mac?

Reactions: heretiq

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
User friendly would be plug my phone into the usb port and be able to browse the file system directly.
Uh,.. OP just wanted to send a video file to his iPhone. I do this every day. AirDrop it takes only a minute at best. What is not user friendly about it? 🤷🏻

Reactions: heretiq

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Uh,.. OP just wanted to send a video file to his iPhone. I do this every day. AirDrop it takes only a minute at best. What is not user friendly about it? 🤷🏻
AirDrop can be finicky and isn't always straightforward. Traditional drag-and-drop via Finder appeals more to those accustomed to older computer systems. AirDrop requires extra steps like same network connection, enabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, updated software, and matching iCloud accounts. When it works, it's sleek, but its background complexities and setup can frustrate users.

bunty07

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
It seems OP have two different Apple ID or something is really wrong with your devices. Because nothing you say makes any sense. Did you try airdrop “everyone for 10 min” on your iPhone?
Can you also please share what Mac do you own? And what iPhone as well? Which OS as well?

• Sad
Reactions: Lift Bar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.