Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Dragging a big video file into iCloud Files takes a long time to actually get there. Just because it appears to be there in a Finder window doesn't mean it has uploaded. That involves a wait.

Then, checking the same storage location on your iDevice, Files app may appear that it is not on your phone because after the slow upload, it then is a slow download to the phone. And by slow, I mean that can take upwards of HOURS for huge files.

I suggest you bypass all this cloud stuff and use the "Connect, Sync, Done" option I described in #18. Your desired movies will be on your phone in what is typically only a few minute sync.
A 62Mb video is nothing. I have photos that are larger!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, small files like 62Mb will sync quickly. Now try a 10GB movie video (or better, a video playlist of maybe 10 or 20 movies ahead of a trip)... and then delete it and try the sync method described in #18... even include the time #18 takes to back up the iDevice, sync new photos & videos shot on the iDevice since last sync, sync music, etc to bias the head-to-head timing AGAINST a wired sync.

Maybe someone on a super-fast broadband (fiber?) system using wifi for both upload & download has a chance... but I find Cloud itself is the speed bottleneck... regardless of the speed of connection to it. Wired connection to iPhone is going to transfer at the speed of the wired protocol.

OPs gripe in #1 is only about a 62Mb file THIS time. So it should transfer up & down quickly... unless, as guessed in #24- which I suspect too- OP has their Mac and their iPhone set up with different Apple IDs (a common issue). But even if that is the case, the sync method in #18 with Mac will still work for OP... as it is about a direct relationship between Mac & iDevice- no iCloud or Apple ID processing required... basically bypassing the middlemen entirely and being much closer to OPs want of "Drag, Drop, Done."

That shared though: to use the cloud method, OP might log out of iCloud on that phone then log back in using the same Apple ID used for iCloud login on Mac... or BOTH if OP is unsure... so that both are definitely using the same Apple ID. Then what OP uploads to Files on Mac should soon appear in Files on their phone... and vice versa. Only 62MB will be fast up & down but bigger video files will be commensurately slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk123

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
I have apple products, and like them, but their ecosystem has just caused me a blood clot in my brain, it should not be this bad! My day is screwed now cause I have lost time, can't focus and just feel let down by this badly thought out system! Why not just drag and drop?! FFS they love to overengineer, this is what happens when people try to hold onto their jobs, they go overboard!
Dude, your lack of knowledge does not make it a bad system.

Drag and drop is too complicated of a system to me. You should have initially saved the video to iCloud Drive and it would have just appeared on your phone. No dragging. No dropping. No iTunes- really?!? iTunes!?!?

AirDrop should have worked. But who knows. Maybe there was a glitch. But all the same, being mad that you can’t add a video in a specific outdated mode because that’s all you know is a bit harsh. There are plenty of things Apple makes difficult. This is not one of them.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
If airdrop isn’t working because your Mac is not detecting your iPhone, try restarting your iPhone. I know that sounds like the most annoying obvious piece of tech advice, but if your phone had been on for a while, airdrop can sometimes be wonky. Restarting the device, in my experience, usually helps.
I’ve had to do this so many times…

trimblet

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2017
It sounds like from your AirDrop issues and iCloud Drive not syncing, maybe you are logged into two different iCloud accounts?

btw I transfer photos using iMessage all the time off my corporate phone because the profile disables AirDrop.

You also *can* drag and drop using Finder, I use it regularly. If you plug your phone into your Mac, your iPhone should appear in the sidebar. You can go to the Files tab and drag and drop individual files into apps that support it. You may have to make a compromise while doing this, such as using VLC. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210598

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I use SnapDrop when AirDrop isn't working, or to "AirDrop" to other non-Apple devices. Works pretty slick. (Yes, it's a site you pull up in your browser, but your data does not go through the internet. It uses a local P2P connection.)

Reactions: one more

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I personally just plug an “i” device to my Mac with a cable and drag anything into a respective “Files” section in the Finder > Device. So videos get dropped into the VLC line, etc.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I use SnapDrop when AirDrop isn't working, or to "AirDrop" to other non-Apple devices. Works pretty slick. (Yes, it's a site you pull up in your browser, but your data does not go through the internet. It uses a local P2P connection.)

Yep, but it still takes a while to copy large files over, compared to the wired solutions.

Last edited:

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Why dos appl have to make evything so backward?

DRAG, DROP, DONE.

It should be that simple?????

How do i get video on my iphone 13 pro?!

I have made a video in premiere, 62mb, h264.

I have tried to add to a folder on desktop called IPHONE and then in itunes import it, with video selected... nothing!

I have tried to add to photos and import there, nothing.

Seriously dumb stuff this apple is!

How can i get the videos on my phone... such a simple ask isn;t it Tim?!
Strange. I make a video and just save it to my desktop on my computer, and it's magically just there on my iPhone in the same place. I must be using some crazy new fangled magic syncing technology invented sometime in the last 10 years...

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I use VLC as a media player on my iOS / iPad OS devices.

It's a simple as dragging media to the VLC folder in your device's finder tab.

But yeah, apple's own apps are design around you purchasing all media within them.
This is probably OPs best solution for what they want and something I do myself.

AirDrop should be the easiest bet but OP is having trouble with that, could be cause both machines need a restart too tho

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I use VLC as a media player on my iOS / iPad OS devices.

It's a simple as dragging media to the VLC folder in your device's finder tab.

But yeah, apple's own apps are design around you purchasing all media within them.
I never use VLC, it’s not that complicated even for my files more than 1 GB. Not just Apple eco system/AirDrop but I use OneDrive from Microsoft for some of my clients. I have all synced on my Mac/ipad Pro and iPhone.

Reactions: Flowstates

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
The people that reacted negatively to the OP just proved that they never used Apple products of yore where you could accomplish a task such as this just by taking a guess at what the logical process would be.

Because old Apple was much much more user friendly than new Apple.

Yet more proof that modern Apple is well out to lunch.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
The people that reacted negatively to the OP just proved that they never used Apple products of yore where you could accomplish a task such as this just by taking a guess at what the logical process would be.

Because old Apple was much much more user friendly than new Apple.

Yet more proof that modern Apple is well out to lunch.
I wouldn’t be using Apple if they stayed in the past. Apple almost died in the 90s being stuck. It’s a connected world, and I am not going to stuck on Mac Finder window. I do what Op exactly asked to do, Op needs to give more info to see what’s wrong with his setup.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn’t be using Apple if they stayed in the past. Apple almost died in the 90s being stuck. It’s a connected world, and I am not going to stuck on Mac Finder window. I do what Op exactly asked to do, Op needs to give more info to see what’s wrong with his setup.
Apple got out of death in the late 2000s by offering products that were so intuitive you didn’t need to read the manual.

Now I have to spend time googling to figure out how to change the FREAKING WALLPAPER or operate the basic functions of an Apple TV.

They’ve turned their backs on the very qualities that gave them power to begin with.

Reactions: Unami

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
.... No iTunes- really?!? iTunes!?!?
This exactly. I don't know why OP started there, iTunes isn't a file transfer system, it's a database.

To send files, use AirDrop. iCloud. Google and other services.

To do it over a wire instead of over the air, import the movie to Movies or Photos, then plug in the iPhone to the Mac and sync, making sure the file(s) you want to add to the phone are selected.

MazingerZND

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2022
The fact that you don't know how to do something (how do you even use iTunes in 2024?) does not mean that Apple is cornering you in any way. You had several ways to accomplish your task.

I have apple products, and like them, but their ecosystem has just caused me a blood clot in my brain, it should not be this bad! My day is screwed now cause I have lost time, can't focus and just feel let down by this badly thought out system! Why not just drag and drop?! FFS they love to overengineer, this is what happens when people try to hold onto their jobs, they go overboard!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This exactly. I don't know why OP started there, iTunes isn't a file transfer system, it's a database.

To send files, use AirDrop. iCloud. Google and other services.

To do it over a wire instead of over the air, import the movie to Movies or Photos, then plug in the iPhone to the Mac and sync, making sure the file(s) you want to add to the phone are selected.

I presumed OP is on a PC which, until TWO days ago, still leaned on iTunes for synching files to iPhone.

Else, OP may be using an OLD Mac with a version of macOS that still leaned on iTunes instead of the split-apart Music, TV, Finder apps & functionality.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I just use the Photo Transfer app on both my phone and mac. Apple just makes things so confusing in transferring selected files from the phone to a specific folder on the mac

Reactions: mrk123

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
I totally get your frustration with the limitations of transferring files to an iPhone, even the newer models like the iPhone 15 with USB-C. It's baffling that in an era where drag-and-drop should be a basic feature, we're still stuck navigating through the hoops of "syncing." It's somewhat ironic that you can easily drag and drop photos from your iPhone to your Mac using Image Capture, yet there's no straightforward way to do the reverse via Finder without resorting to iCloud, iTunes syncing options.

Then there's AirDrop, it's a hit or miss for me as well. When it's operational, it's super. But then there are those moments when it inexplicably fails to work, leaving the age-old solution of toggling it off and on as the go-to fix. It's such a peculiar thing that never seems to have a clear explanation.

This aspect of Apple devices, where they heavily lean towards automated processes rather than allowing for manual control, is indeed a source of irritation for many. It seems to be a fundamental part of the Apple ecosystem's design philosophy. Over time, I guess it becomes something of an acquired tolerance. You learn to navigate these quirks, but it doesn't make them any less annoying when you're trying to perform what should be a simple task.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
Has never been an issue for me.

Either AirDrop from iMac to iPhone or..

directly connect iPhone to iMac via Lightning Cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.