Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Can you also please share what Mac do you own? And what iPhone as well? Which OS as well?

They did:
I am on a 2011 mac pro with high sierra 10.13.6 and iphone 13 pro.... maybe there is a disconnect with them?

And that revealed the problem:
AirDrop on iMac is supported for models Late 2012 and later.

To clarify that point though, specifically AirDrop between macOS (then OS X) and iOS is what's not supported with this particular Mac. Source here, relevant part below:

AirDrop

AirDrop between OS X and iOS is supported by the following Mac models:

• MacBook Air (2012 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2012 or later)
  • iMac (2012 or later)
  • Mac mini (2012 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Now that we know the Mac doesn't qualify for this solution, I recommend moving to a different one. I'll let others take it from here.

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
Why dos appl have to make evything so backward?

DRAG, DROP, DONE.

It should be that simple?????

How do i get video on my iphone 13 pro?!

I have made a video in premiere, 62mb, h264.

I have tried to add to a folder on desktop called IPHONE and then in itunes import it, with video selected... nothing!

I have tried to add to photos and import there, nothing.

Seriously dumb stuff this apple is!

How can i get the videos on my phone... such a simple ask isn;t it Tim?!
I like how you don’t know something and call apple dumb for it.

• Haha
Reactions: TracerAnalog

bunty07

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
Why dos appl have to make evything so backward?

DRAG, DROP, DONE.

It should be that simple?????

How do i get video on my iphone 13 pro?!

I have made a video in premiere, 62mb, h264.

I have tried to add to a folder on desktop called IPHONE and then in itunes import it, with video selected... nothing!

I have tried to add to photos and import there, nothing.

Seriously dumb stuff this apple is!

How can i get the videos on my phone... such a simple ask isn;t it Tim?!
Maybe this will help you OP

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
yes moving videos to or from an iPhone has always been a complicated mess. Can't just drag and drop them, but there are multiple ways to sync and a lot of them have their own disadvantages. Like subpar playback controls in the photos or files app. Or put them in your TV-app, but don't expect to get them out of there ever again. Or dump them into the vlc app - now it shows up in the storage settings as "other" and you have to manage that in the app.

It kind of baffles the mind that they never bothered to make a user-friendly, universal way for that.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
“Share as PDF” used to be a menu item. Now it takes several menu jumps and forces you to save a file somewhere first, leaving all kinds of clutter behind.
I just remembered that to make a pdf of something, you have to go to "print", and then expand the print preview with a two finger zoom. 🤣

This is so non-obvious and counterintuitive...

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Could the unnecessary complexity we often encounter be by design, possibly due to DRM concerns?

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
I have trid to use iTunes... put the video in a folder, synced that folder - a picture sync, but not video, and i have ticked sync video...
I hav wasted so far 1 hour on this! Had going to blow up.
How the hell is this meant to be media / creator frinedly?!
iTunes? Just put it in photos and it will sync to other apple devices through iCloud.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Like I said before AirDrop is only receiving a file. Not allowing the sender read access to other files on a system like a USB drive. You're trying to argue about the file being malicious or not but I'm not talking about that. A drop box file sharing mechanism will always conceptually be less dangerous than one that allows read-write.

I'm not blaming OP for their problem but the way they treat the problem as something that should just magically work. It has never always magically worked. The number of times I had to switch USB ports, restart my computer, put my devices into DFU mode is too much to remember that I would honestly forget I had to do that.

The other side to your "Apple is perfect ideology" is this kind of reasoning like: one user having troubles means that it's suddenly everybody else's fault; the system is terrible and they need to fix it. And the things that have been said in this thread perfectly exhibit that.
I’m not talking about letting strangers connect to your file system. I want to plug my device into my computer and browse my phones user home directory so I can move files. That’s not a big ask and isn’t any more of a security issue. It’s only an issue for Apple trying to prevent us from installing unsactioned applications. It’s not about security, it’s about control.

Apple markets these things as simple solutions, yet they often rely on doggy things like multicast. I’ve been building data centers and enterprise networks for many years now and I can tell you one thing for certain….nobody understands how to properly configure multicast across vlans or even on a single subnet. Most of your IT people claim to “network experts” but barely know the basics. Which is fine because these idiots keep me employed. So when you introduce these “easy” features on networks, a lot of them are incorrectly configured to use the service Apple stuff like AirPrint relies on. So when you have a guy that is an average iPhone user…how is he supposed to know if multicast is configured correctly? How is he even supposed to know it’s involved. So yes it’s on Apple to be a bit more thorough and figure out ways to tell the user “multicast configuration error, can’t connect to device “ as apposed to ????. I’ve fix many AirPrint issues over the years, and it’s always multicast switching and addressing issues. Even Microsoft has troubleshooting wizards. Apple assumes the environments their products are used inare configured correctly.

Reactions: Unami
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.