Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
Download VMware Fusion 11.1.0, install it and start a virtual machine to get the prompt to add screen recording. Once that's done you can shut down the virtual machine and install the latest VMware Fusion 11.1.1 or VMware Fusion 10.x. Not sure why the 11.1.1 version does not perform the prompt the same way 11.1.0 does.

Thanks - that's exactly what I did, but it was not effective. I was not able to get the prompt. The download was 11.1.1. I used the link on the VMWare website, perhaps there is a link somewhere which will instead download 11.1.0, but I could not find it. The good news is that I was able to get Parallels v15 to work and also succeeded in migrating a copy of my VMWare Fusion virtual engine. So I am back in business.

Now that there is a newer beta (which I have installed), I will try VMWare Fusion again.

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
It definitely has to be the 11.1.0 version to get the prompt, the 11.1.1 version does not offer the prompt. Once VMware Fusion is shown under Screen Recording, either the 10.x or any 11.x should work.

Thanks, it will be interesting to see how it behaves with the latest Catalina beta. I will update the thread either way.

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
[doublepost=1567200947][/doublepost]
It definitely has to be the 11.1.0 version to get the prompt, the 11.1.1 version does not offer the prompt. Once VMware Fusion is shown under Screen Recording, either the 10.x or any 11.x should work.

I tried the Fusion I had (11.1.1) with the latest Catalina Beta and had the same problem - black screen, would not accept any kind of input. So I then uninstalled it and found 11.1.0. Just as you said, I was prompted to approve screen recording, which I did. That got me a little further... It now gets as far as the login screen, complete with graphic. However, it still will not accept any kind of input. There's not even an entry window for credentials. I tried resetting from the menu, which put me into a recovery screen (which also accepted no input). I've restarted and get stuck at the same place.

The next thing I will do is to upgrade it to 11.1.1, to see if that makes any difference. Should be fun.

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia

After the issues with 11.1.0 (got further with the install, but it still would not accept input), I tried updating it to 11.1.1. Not only did it not work, but the update failed so spectacularly that Fusion removed itself. There is no trace of VMWare Fusion (other than the Virtual Engine) anywhere in my system. It has vanished. Additionally, the permissions change I entered to approve screen recording has also disappeared. The bottom line is that Fusion is still problematic.

The one remaining option I've yet to try is to download and install 11.1.0 again, enable screen recording, and then downgrade to 10.1.6. Perhaps that will work. If not, then I'm giving up and sticking with Parallels.

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia

The final attempt was not a charm.

I tried to again install 11.1.0, enable screen recording (done easily) and then remove 11 and install 10. All of that worked up to the point where I was at the login screen which again did not accept any kind of input. So that's it for now, I'm done trying - back to Parallels (which is working well, I just object to having to pay $50 for an upgrade to v15, when I had upgraded only 4 months ago).

DanEp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
When trying to launch Bitdefender Free Virus Scanner I get the following error.:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (Couldn't start the services error -1.)

I have tried to reinstall but to no avail. Google turns up nothing here or at the bitdefender website. Problem began just after upgrading to latest public beta (my first use of Catalina, I had not installed the previous betas).

Any suggestions?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
When trying to launch Bitdefender Free Virus Scanner I get the following error.:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (Couldn't start the services error -1.)

I have tried to reinstall but to no avail. Google turns up nothing here or at the bitdefender website. Problem began just after upgrading to latest public beta (my first use of Catalina, I had not installed the previous betas).

Any suggestions?
Don’t use anti virus?

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Webex broken with Catalina, get this message:

“Cisco Webex Start” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Started messing with Mainstage 3 in Catalina last night. No issues so far, but I did not have a chance to connect my MIDI gear so I only tested using the touchbar musical keyboard.

Babygotfont

Suspended
May 16, 2016
10.15 will be on hold for me ... webex clients, eyetv (in beta), and brothers print/scan/fax utilities all 32bit ... sure i could run them in a VM but i'll just hold out for 6-8 months to see what shakes out

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Has anyone already tried running Acrobat Standard/Professional 2015 and 2017? I'm still running 9.5.5 on High Sierra but will have to upgrade to a newer version should I ever update my Macs to 10.15. I'm not interested in Acrobat DC since I don't use it often enough to justify a subscription.

Last edited:

accidentaltexan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
The released version of DuetDisplay was not working for me but their awesome support had me set up and running with their beta within minutes of me contacting them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.