Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Why is Drobo Dashboard 3.4.2 both on the Working list - and the Not Working list.
Oddly enough I can sort of understand this:

On one Mac I had Drobo Dashboard 3.4.2 installed before upgrading, and that seems to work.

On my other Mac I didn't have DD installed, and nor was I able to install it (due to some weird security setting that wouldn't stick), so - even though the app works - the installer didn't work (for me).

lindseybp

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I upgraded to Catalina and my Citrix Receiver app did not work. My company uses the app so I can log into my virtual desktop. So with this not working I could do no work! Luckily I had a time capsule image and was able to revert back to pre-Catalina. I'm assuming Citrix is just behind on updating their apps?

Ramsteiner

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
I see you figured it out. Was it an issue with the spacing and "\" character? You should've been able to auto-complete your HDD name in Terminal with the tab key.
When I used the tab key in terminal the drive was displayed at Macintosh HD. I didn't realize that translated into Macintosh\ HD. Syntax error - my bad. Found the solution on Reddit.

Reactions: chrisdazzo

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
This is a follow-up to my previous post here concerning Adobe Photoshop CS6 13.0.6.

I have now installed the public release of Catalina -- What a download! 8.09 GB! -- which took about five hours to install, not including the 15-minute download time.

I can confirm, at least on my machine -- an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB of memory -- that Adobe Photoshop CS6 13.0.6 will not launch from the Dock, or by double-clicking its icon in the "Applications" folder.

While there is an indirect way to launch it -- double-click the actual binary in Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Contents/macOS/Adobe Photoshop CS6 -- nevertheless, while it will launch that way, it goes into a never-ending beach ball.

Being as some people -- on another website -- have mentioned having success with the aforementioned method, I thought that perhaps one of my plugins might be preventing CS6 from running properly. However, even after removing all plugins from the "Plugins" folder, CS6 is still beach-balling.

Please note that if you use the binary method, as described above, it actually launches the Terminal app, and runs CS6 as a process in it. While you can minimize the Terminal window to the Dock, you CANNOT shut down the Terminal app while you are using -- or at least trying to use, in my case -- the Adobe Photoshop CS6 app. If you shut down the Terminal app, CS6 shuts down as well, because, as I said, it is a process running via the Terminal.

So, in short, exactly as Adobe states on their website, Adobe Photoshop CS6 will not run under Catalina.

Now, if someone has found a way around the beach-balling, I would be very interested in learning exactly how you accomplished it.

So, I am left with only two choices:

1. Reinstall Mojave from my full CCC backup and stay with it (very impractical for obvious reasons)

2. Biting the bullet and paying for Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. And even then, CC 2019 also currently has some issues with Catalina; particularly in the saving and naming files dialog window.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Does the latest Citrix beta work on Catalina?

Actually Citrix released version 1910 of the Workspace app. Do a google search for Citrix Workspace 1910 and download away.

I upgraded to Catalina and my Citrix Receiver app did not work. My company uses the app so I can log into my virtual desktop. So with this not working I could do no work! Luckily I had a time capsule image and was able to revert back to pre-Catalina. I'm assuming Citrix is just behind on updating their apps?

Go get Citrix Workspace 1910

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Biting the bullet and paying for Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. And even then, CC 2019 also currently has some issues with Catalina; particularly in the saving and naming files dialog window.
Just out of curiosity, do the Affinity apps meet your needs, or do you need features only in Photoshop?

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Well, Brammy, since you asked, following is my full story, and why I chose to upgrade to Photoshop CC 2019, instead of to Affinity Photo:

As the deadline slowly arrived for CS6's demise, I began looking at other options, because like many others, I did not want to become another victim of greedy Adobe's annual subscription model. Why else would I cling to CS6 for the past six years?

There were only three possible contenders:

1. GIMP

2. Pixelmator Pro

3. Affinity Photo.

I am sold out on using Photoshop-compatible plugins, so GIMP was dropped from my list early on.

Pixelmator Pro didn't last long either. Even though it is rather cheap compared to Photoshop, the combination of a dark UI with a tiny application font -- which I can hardly read at my age -- not to mention no support for Photoshop plugins, as I recall, finally made me decide to drop it.

That left Affinity Photo. As I told some folks over on the Affinity Photo support forum some time ago, it is indeed a nice, slick-looking program. However, the thing is, I have been a Photoshop user for many years now, since Photoshop 5.5 -- not CS5 -- when it was still delivered via CDs. Thus, I am obviously very used to Photoshop's layout and workflow. Affinity Photo's layout is quite different and takes time to get used to.

Please note that I did make an effort to learn Affinity's setup/layout and work routine using the trial app, and I did in fact learn how to perform some tasks. However, I realized that it would take me months to master it to the same level as I do with Photoshop. To be honest, I don't have that kind of time on my hands. I use Photoshop every day in the work that I do, so there was no time for a long learning period.

But the straw which really broke the camel's back in my case was when I realized that NONE of my current Photoshop plugins work well -- if at all -- with Affinity Photo. NONE of them. These are standard Photoshop plugins which have been around for many years, and which I use daily in my graphics work, so I obviously depend on them a lot.

Well, I discussed this issue at length with folks over at the Serif support forum, and they basically blamed the plugin developers for not making their plugins compatible with Affinity Photo. But the thing is, said plugin developers are unable to do that, because as Serif openly admitted to me in their forum, they have not fully implemented Adobe's plugin API in Affinity Photo. That being the case, how can Adobe plugin developers make their plugins fully compatible with Affinity Photo? They can't. Besides that, they would rather devote their time and energy to improving and updating their plugins for the company that earns them the most money, and that is undoubtedly Adobe.

In fact, from the signals they were sending me over at the Serif support forum, the impression I got was that they have no real intentions of implementing the full Adobe plugin API in Affinity Photo at any time. This seems to be confirmed by the fact that a while back, I was reading on their forum that they are in the process of writing their own proprietary plugin API for Affinity Photo. That is obviously their choice, but I don't think it is very smart business sense to simply ignore the huge number of graphic artists who use Photoshop-compatible plugins. It is obviously a very big market.

But even if Serif is developing their own plugin system, what are web developers supposed to do in the meantime? Like me, they need their plugins working now, and not months or years from now when Serif completes their plugin system, and when there are actually plugins which will work with it, which fulfill the same functions as the current Photoshop-compatible plugins.

At any rate, the folks over there came off as being a bit defensive, in my view, which is natural I suppose, since they are their to push their product, and not someone else's product. So, I finally just stopped posting in their forum.

The simple truth is that I have too much time and money invested in Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop-compatible plugins, to now just suddenly abandon it all. Plus, as I stated earlier, I am very comfortable with using Photoshop. I have my workflow. So, I am just going to stick to what I already know. Likewise, in my opinion, despite its outrageous price, and hated subscription model, Adobe Photoshop still remains the best in its class.

Last edited:

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
The simple truth is that I have too much time and money invested in Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop-compatible plugins, to now just suddenly abandon it all. Plus, as I stated earlier, I am very comfortable with using Photoshop. I have my workflow. So, I am just going to stick to what I already know. Likewise, in my opinion, despite its outrageous price, and hated subscription model, Adobe Photoshop still remains the best in its class.
I thought that was the case. Thank you for the detailed explanation. There is definitely a difference between someone who kinda needs a Photoshop-style app, and someone who truly needs Photoshop.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Brammy, sorry if I was a little long-winded in that last post, but I am a writer. :)

There is another important factor which I neglected to mention in my previous comment, and that is the following:

Adobe is a tried and proven company. We all know that short of an Act of God, they are not going anywhere. That means that long-term support and continual product improvements are pretty much guaranteed.

While Serif and Affinity Photo have been around for a while, compared to other companies, they are still kind of a new kid on the block.

I can tell you from my personal experience of purchasing Mac-based software since 1993, that I have been burned a fair number of times. I am not necessarily referring to outright dishonesty, but to the fact that one- or two-man software companies come and go all the time, and for a wide variety of reasons.

Sometimes they no longer have the financial resources to keep going. Sometimes, they simply don't have the necessary coding skills to upgrade their product so that it remains compatible with the latest OS. But sadly, it also happens simply because a developer loses interest in that particular piece of software, and no longer wants to continue its development.

But whatever the reason for the company's failure/disappearance, we end users are the ones who are left holding the bag. We were paying for something, and possibly became dependent upon it in our workflow, and then it is simply gone.

Now, please understand that I am not saying that this is going to happen with Serif. However, to reiterate, small one- or two-man companies are more prone to this happening to them. So again, that is another good reason to stick with a big, well-established software company, even if you don't like all of their policies.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
TL;DR

I see Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) show as "WORKING" in the wiki post. When I check the Legacy Software list, there are part of Adobe's stuff listed as still being 32-bit. So, do Photoshop and Illustrator work under Catalina or not? If "yes", are there any limitations or "gotchas"?

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
TL;DR

I see Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) show as "WORKING" in the wiki post. When I check the Legacy Software list, there are part of Adobe's stuff listed as still being 32-bit. So, do Photoshop and Illustrator work under Catalina or not? If "yes", are there any limitations or "gotchas"?

Please read further back in this thread. The ONLY version of Adobe Photoshop which is guaranteed to work with Catalina is Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 20.0.6. All previous versions which still have dependent 32-bit apps -- such as installers and application managers -- will NOT run under Catalina. I just updated from CS6 Extended to the aforementioned version precisely because of this issue. Also, please note that even 20.0.6 has a few issues at this point as well.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
There is a beta you can download that works fine with Catalina

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
When I used the tab key in terminal the drive was displayed at Macintosh HD. I didn't realize that translated into Macintosh\ HD. Syntax error - my bad. Found the solution on Reddit.
Glad you got it working. Had to "touch" that Extensions folder again in Recovery mode after installing v4.3.3 yesterday... not great.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

Citrix updated their Workspace App yesterday afternoon and that's fixed things for me.

windnsea26

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
San Diego
Webex broken with Catalina, get this message:

“Cisco Webex Start” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

I still can't get this to work even if I allow from Settings. I've been using the web version of webex for now but it's limited in some functions that i need. hopefully this get's fixed soon.

sjreynolds143

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
I haven't tested it yet, because I haven't taken the plunge with the update, but Backblaze have released v7 which they say is compatible with Catalina.

I won't update the wiki as I don't know for sure that it works, so I'll leave that to someone who can check.

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I haven't tested it yet, because I haven't taken the plunge with the update, but Backblaze have released v7 which they say is compatible with Catalina.

I won't update the wiki as I don't know for sure that it works, so I'll leave that to someone who can check.

Yes, the update works fine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.