Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stream108

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
Will have to do a side by side with my wife's 13pro with the Apple case and my 14pro with the Caudabe. It may be a day or so before I can get pic to post.
What I’m mostly interested is the MagSafe ring on Apple vs Caudabe.
The Spigen one is flat and therefore not very aesthetic, the Apple one is gorgeous, but I don’t like the open bottom, not sure if Caudabe is also this 3D like and very aesthetic 🧐

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
The Spigen one is flat and therefore not very aesthetic, the Apple one is gorgeous, but I don’t like the open bottom, not sure if Caudabe is also this 3D like and very aesthetic 🧐
I’ll say the ring on the back of the Lucid looks pretty 3D.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
You may want to rethink which one of those you will return. In 6 months or less that Spigen will be yellow on the TPU edges. The Lucid will not because it isn’t TPU.

I'm more of a Sheath guy myself, but other people in my family swear by Lucid for this exact reason. If Caudabe is using the same material they've used in past Lucids, it really doesn't yellow at all. The clear TPU cases also felt sticky/tacky to me which the Lucid never did when I've used it.

Reactions: Stream108

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Received my Caudabe Lucid Clear with charcoal MagSafe today for my 14 pro. I love it! Perfect fit and perfect look. I had the Apple clear case on it since launch day as it’s what I’ve had on my 12 pro for the last 2 years. It was the best I could find in a clear case. Not any more! The Apple clear case has been put away as a back up. The lucid clear is my new favorite case.

View attachment 2076031
View attachment 2082783

Wow they really nailed it with that dark MagSafe circle. That first photo looks amazing.

Funny you mention the Apple clear case. I couldn't resist and got it this year along with my usual Sheath case. The clear case went back to the Apple store immediately (I'm talking 10 minutes after I left the store). It's hot garbage. I could feel that it wasn't grabbing the phone tight and the buttons kind of suck. I also hated that it doesn't cover the bottom (which I knew going in, not sure why I even bought it). For an Apple designed product, I'm really surprised at how crappy it was.

So it was back to the trusty Sheath I went. But, your photos and everything I keep hearing about this and the Synthesis are making me want to try these.

Reactions: izzle22

peepoLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
So true.

Here's the ring on the apple case:

Also, the issue with the Spigen one is the fact that it's going to yellow (because of the TPU sides), and if you go for the all-around polycarbonate ones (like the Lucid Clear, or the official Apple one), you're risking damaging the phone itself (because the material is so rigid), so it's like you have to pick your poison at this point, and honestly I'm not sure I like either option....

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Lucid clear looks nice but for people who returned it have you tried gripmunk in clear? That one still looks kinda neat to me

Not a clear case but I got the caudabe sheath for my 14PM and love it

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Wow they really nailed it with that dark MagSafe circle. That first photo looks amazing.

Funny you mention the Apple clear case. I couldn't resist and got it this year along with my usual Sheath case. The clear case went back to the Apple store immediately (I'm talking 10 minutes after I left the store). It's hot garbage. I could feel that it wasn't grabbing the phone tight and the buttons kind of suck. I also hated that it doesn't cover the bottom (which I knew going in, not sure why I even bought it). For an Apple designed product, I'm really surprised at how crappy it was.

So it was back to the trusty Sheath I went. But, your photos and everything I keep hearing about this and the Synthesis are making me want to try these.
I'm really liking this Lucid Clear although I did keep my Apple clear case as a back up. I'm hearing a lot of folks having issues with the Apple case fit. My Apple case fit perfect although mine it is for the 14Pro. Is yours a 14Pro Max? The fit issues seem to be with the larger phones.

I think the charcoal ring on the Lucid looks much better on the darker iPhones than the white ring.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Stream108

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2021
I'm really liking this Lucid Clear although I did keep my Apple clear case as a back up. I'm hearing a lot of folks having issues with the Apple case fit. My Apple case fit perfect although mine it is for the 14Pro. Is yours a 14Pro Max? The fit issues seem to be with the larger phones.

I think the charcoal ring on the Lucid looks much better on the darker iPhones than the white ring.
Would you have a chance to send those Apple vs caudabe clear case photo comparison? I’d deeply appreciate that ❤️

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Honestly they are both really good cases. I've been using the Apple clear case for years and it has been my go to case. I just really like the new charcoal MagSafe ring and the way the Lucid clear case feels. The Apple case has the open bottom although that has never been an issue for me and the Caudabe has a more closed bottom along with button cut outs. It will really just come down to preference as they are both well built cases.

I've used many cases through the years starting with the very first iPhone including Apple leather cases, Element, Power Support and several other high end brands. I've finally settled on these 2 clear cases as I like to see my phone and I like the way they feel.
Hi, did the Apple clear fit tight this year with no loose corners ? And did you have any issues with the exposed bottom area getting scratches? I may get the clear and put a strip of the clear skins they sell for the exposed bottom and keep the leather as backup

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Hi, did the Apple clear fit tight this year with no loose corners ? And did you have any issues with the exposed bottom area getting scratches? I may get the clear and put a strip of the clear skins they sell for the exposed bottom and keep the leather as backup
My Apple case fit very tight. No loose corners and no creaking. With both my 12Pro and 14Pro. I was always worried about the open bottom but after 2 years on the 12Pro there were no scratches. Looked just like new when I traded it in last month.

Just a thought: I have noticed that the folks who had issues with the Apple clear case fitting loosely were on the "Max" models. That may be where the issue is?

Reactions: richxps

peepoLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
My Apple case fit very tight. No loose corners and no creaking. With both my 12Pro and 14Pro. I was always worried about the open bottom but after 2 years on the 12Pro there were no scratches. Looked just like new when I traded it in last month.

Just a thought: I have noticed that the folks who had issues with the Apple clear case fitting loosely were on the "Max" models. That may be where the issue is?
What about scratches/chip on the frame due to putting on/ taking off the case?

As I mentioned here:
Also, the issue with the Spigen one is the fact that it's going to yellow (because of the TPU sides), and if you go for the all-around polycarbonate ones (like the Lucid Clear, or the official Apple one), you're risking damaging the phone itself (because the material is so rigid), so it's like you have to pick your poison at this point, and honestly I'm not sure I like either option....
It seems pretty common, there was also a thread about it just a week ago...

Have you not had any?

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
I really like my Spigen Ultra Hybrid on my Deep Purple 14 Pro.
The cutout corners on the Lucid looks a bit janky and i don’t use MagSafe do I also hate the ugly ring on the back. 😉

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
What about scratches/chip on the frame due to putting on/ taking off the case?

As I mentioned here:

It seems pretty common, there was also a thread about it just a week ago...

Have you not had any?
There were zero ”scratches” and/or “chips” from the Apple case after 2 years on my 12Pro. As I said it looked like new when I traded it in. I took the case off several times to change the screen protector and clean the phone. No scratches. I have also had the Apple case on my 14pro and took it off to put the Lucid on. Again no scratches. I have also taken the Lucid off once and no scratches. Believe me, I’m OCD.

It is smooth plastic on metal. It is not scratching the phone. I feel the person in the post you mentioned said it caused chips on their phone??? I can’t belive a plastic case would cause chips?

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I really like my Spigen Ultra Hybrid on my Deep Purple 14 Pro.
The cutout corners on the Lucid looks a bit janky and i don’t use MagSafe do I also hate the ugly ring on the back. 😉
Yeah I’ll take my “janky” corners over cheap, sticky, yellowing TPU any day. I’ve had both and will never get another Spigen again.

Reactions: peepoLove

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
I’ll just wait and see. I don’t keep my iPhones longer than a year though. So I don’t mind a bit of yellowing to be honest.

peepoLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
There were zero ”scratches” and/or “chips” from the Apple case after 2 years on my 12Pro. As I said it looked like new when I traded it in. I took the case off several times to change the screen protector and clean the phone. No scratches. I have also had the Apple case on my 14pro and took it off to put the Lucid on. Again no scratches. I have also taken the Lucid off once and no scratches. Believe me, I’m OCD.

It is smooth plastic on metal. It is not scratching the phone. I feel the person in the post you mentioned said it caused chips on their phone??? I can’t belive a plastic case would cause chips?
See, but it wasn't just that thread, there's also this one (which you also already replied in, but check the rest of the comments; you're clearly in the minority, at least there), and plenty others. If it were only that one thread, then we could just chalk it off as an outlier, but there are so many similar comments and threads.

Maybe your experience is evidence to the fact that scratches/chips can be avoided, if careful? Maybe there's a specific way you insert your phone into the case. 🤔

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Would you have a chance to send those Apple vs caudabe clear case photo comparison? I’d deeply appreciate that ❤️
Here you go. Apple case on the silver/white 13Pro. Lucid on the space black 14Pro.

Attachments

• C012362C-8A6E-48BF-AA22-87CDDA779BE3.jpeg
    C012362C-8A6E-48BF-AA22-87CDDA779BE3.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 344
  • DC17D4B2-BCAF-4E3C-B000-731EEA2E50B9.jpeg
    DC17D4B2-BCAF-4E3C-B000-731EEA2E50B9.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 53AC333F-916E-4574-8AAB-F4338A16BA0F.jpeg
    53AC333F-916E-4574-8AAB-F4338A16BA0F.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 347
  • 7C33F031-5FB0-4AE4-BC92-BCDA8BB726A3.jpeg
    7C33F031-5FB0-4AE4-BC92-BCDA8BB726A3.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 341

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
See, but it wasn't just that thread, there's also this one (which you also already replied in, but check the rest of the comments; you're clearly in the minority, at least there), and plenty others. If it were only that one thread, then we could just chalk it off as an outlier, but there are so many similar comments and threads.

Maybe your experience is evidence to the fact that scratches/chips can be avoided, if careful? Maybe there's a specific way you insert your phone into the case. 🤔
Yes. I’ve seen these. There has also been many folks who don’t have issues with case scratching. And people who don’t have issues are less likely to post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.