Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DianaMR

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2016
I'm not surprised they do that. I have friends who work in customer service at retail stores and you'd be surprised at the stuff they get. Lots of shady people out there unfortunately.

I got a Lucid that had the same issue. They told me there was a bad initial batch due to manufacturing issues, but that everything later had been fixed. They sent me a new one and so far it's been smooth sailing. I use this case now more than my Sheath, which is saying a lot. I still love the Sheath, but I love Lucid just as much this year. Really nice case. I also got and promptly returned the Apple clear case. That case was a complete disaster. Creaking, doesn't protect the bottom, bad fit. Just gross.

So you don’t have problems getting the case off anymore and it doesn’t leave scratches on the inside of the case? Which color phone do you have?

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I went ahead and ordered a second Lucid Clear. I dropped my phone while using the Lucid Clear and of course the case sustained some damage. I’m still using it as my daily driver, and rotating the silicon cases on my days off.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
So you don’t have problems getting the case off anymore and it doesn’t leave scratches on the inside of the case? Which color phone do you have?
Still going strong. I've got the space black phone. A plastic phone case isn't going to scratch my phone. Still love the case. Looks beautiful.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I went ahead and ordered a second Lucid Clear. I dropped my phone while using the Lucid Clear and of course the case sustained some damage. I’m still using it as my daily driver, and rotating the silicon cases on my days off.

You should ask them for a warranty replacement. They're really good about that. I've gotten replacements from them multiple times because of damage.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Update:

They sent me a new case without me asking or having to send pictures of my current case. I thought I should share as I thought that was a nice gesture. I am still using the defective case and so far still love it.

When they sent it they did confirm the first run of cases had a defect with the magnets and that they were sorry I had the issue.

Last edited:

DianaMR

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2016
Still going strong. I've got the space black phone. A plastic phone case isn't going to scratch my phone. Still love the case. Looks beautiful.

It will scratch the silver phone but not the others. I had that happen to mine a few years ago, but what I meant, did the phone scratch the inside of your case as mine has every year since I have had the non-silver models. They’ve even sent me replacements and the same thing happens. I change my cases daily so having the ability to get the phone in and out of the case without scratching it is important. I was told the case wasn’t meant to be removed often. I should give up on the brand but I really like the case better than any other brand of clear case. I’m going to try the Phone Rebel clear case when it becomes available.

BitFlip

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
I prefer the Spigen from an aesthetic POV.

Not a fan of the notches/cutouts on the bottom two corners of the Lucid Clear.

peepoLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
@StaceyMJ86 @DianaMR @izzle22

Have you guys heard of the new Casetify clear case? it's fully clear this time around, and looks promising O:

Seems like the entire case is polycarbonate, however, there's some rubber (TPU? not sure) on the inner siders to prevent scratches and what not, so isn't that part going to yellow? 🤔

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO

Have you guys heard of the new Casetify clear case? it's fully clear this time around, and looks promising O:

Seems like the entire case is polycarbonate, however, there's some rubber (TPU? not sure) on the inner siders to prevent scratches and what not, so isn't that part going to yellow? 🤔
Yes. Any TPU yellows. Especially on the sides where it's held all the time. Although if it's inside and polycarbonate on the outside it may not. It may be awful thick on the sides with TPU and plastic?

peepoLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
Yes. Any TPU yellows. Especially on the sides where it's held all the time. Although if it's inside and polycarbonate on the outside it may not. It may be awful thick on the sides with TPU and plastic?

nah, you have something else in mind (with your first sentence), I was referring to the inner side, yeah. It seems like some sort of cushion. Check it out for yourself:

I've noticed one guy speaking about the "soft rubber" on the inside, and no offense to this guy, I've seen a bunch of his videos and it seems like he's only there to get a bag, so he rushes things and isn't always accurate and/or speaking about things that matter, so I'd take what he has to say with a grain of salt. Timestamp to when he talks about it:

peepoLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
Wow, it seems like RHINOSHIELD have released a clear case as well (from all sides, no bumper) with swappable buttons (floating) and even camera ring. They also promise to replace your case if it ever yellows, but from the looks of it, it's fully polycarbonate, so it isn't going to happen.

It looks like Apple and Caudabe are no longer the only companies with full polycarbonate cases anymore; they are now joined by Casetify and RHINOSHIELD.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Wow, it seems like RHINOSHIELD have released a clear case as well (from all sides, no bumper) with swappable buttons (floating) and even camera ring. They also promise to replace your case if it ever yellows, but from the looks of it, it's fully polycarbonate, so it isn't going to happen.

It looks like Apple and Caudabe are no longer the only companies with full polycarbonate cases anymore; they are now joined by Casetify and RHINOSHIELD.

Apple's case is not fully polycarbonate. Rhinoshield's also is not. I have no idea about Casetify, but I wouldn't touch their overpriced cases with the ugly camera ring. I like but don't love Lucid Clear, but I do appreciate that at least there's actual science behind the non-yellowing rather than just marketing fluff

Reactions: vded

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

Seems like the entire case is polycarbonate, however, there's some rubber (TPU? not sure) on the inner siders to prevent scratches and what not, so isn't that part going to yellow?

No I haven’t seen it yet. I’m going to search for it now.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I looked at the Rhinoshield case and was tempted, but I told myself to buy no more cases since I’ll be upgrading again in September 2023.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Interesting thread, I am more hesitant now to get a Spigen case after reading the yellowing reports. However my partner has had one for 2+ years and not experienced that, and I’ve had one for about 6 months with case still looking good. Now I recently got a new phone and the Apple clear case, I don’t like the semi-pokey bottom parts so I’m thinking of another Spigen one. Hmm. Tough decision, maybe I’ll just get both.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
Just ordered my Lucid Clear case in charcoal for my iPhone 14 Pro. I also bought the Apple Clear Case but I’m going to be returning it. The Apple Clear Case scratched the side of my 13 Pro. Tiny micro scratches, but I don’t want a repeat of last year.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’ve been using my Lucid Clear on my Deep Purple 14PM. I take it off once a week, to clean any dirt and debris. I noticed scratches at 2 corners of the phone. I’ve taken the case off and went back to my lilac Apple silicon case for the time being.

Reactions: peepoLove

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
I’ve been using my Lucid Clear on my Deep Purple 14PM. I take it off once a week, to clean any dirt and debris. I noticed scratches at 2 corners of the phone. I’ve taken the case off and went back to my lilac Apple silicon case for the time being.
Now I’m having regrets lol. I think this may be an issue with all clear cases to an extent. It’s easier for dirt and debris to get in. I may end up getting a silicone case from Apple at this point and returning the Lucid Clear. Decisions, decisions. Scratches are bound to happen, but I want to prevent them as much as possible.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Now I’m having regrets lol. I think this may be an issue with all clear cases to an extent. It’s easier for dirt and debris to get in. I may end up getting a silicone case from Apple at this point and returning the Lucid Clear. Decisions, decisions. Scratches are bound to happen, but I want to prevent them as much as possible.

Me too with trying to prevent them as much as possible. The Lucid Clear is a hard case but it also prevents it from turning yellow vs the TPU which is softer and will turn yellow.

Reactions: magnetic_electrique

peepoLove

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
thanks for the update

At this point I'm just over it, your comment is the last straw. I guess there's no avoiding scratches with any (hard) clear case, so I'm just going to avoid them altogether and that's it. 😐

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
thanks for the update

At this point I'm just over it, your comment is the last straw. I guess there's no avoiding scratches with any (hard) clear case, so I'm just going to avoid them altogether and that's it.

I did purchase a clear skin for the sides to see if it’ll prevent future scratches, plus I’ve started using a frameless case so it’s more for that case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.