Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi all, i'm pretty precise about the battery health :)
Currently i'm charging my 13PM overnight with 5w charger.
Every night, at the same time, more or less

I use the same behaviour when i unplug the phone: around same time every morning.
The optmized charge has kicked in after a couple of weeks, it works fine for some days and the for 3-4 days it does not work.
This happened twice (i have 16 charching cycle).

Because of this, i'm thinking to create an automation using a smart plug to stop charging at around 80%.

I do not need a 100% charge at the wake time time, considering that my usual daily consumption is aprox 30-40% (when i go bed my phone is around 70%).

What do you think?
Is it better to let the native battery management do its job or go through the other way?
I want to save the battery health as much as i can.

My old 12PM, drop 3 points after 7-8 months (usual charging pattern).

Thank you

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The iOS optimize battery charging concept is questionable at best even if it does happen to function (which it often doesn’t).
It’s doubtful that delaying a 100% charge for a few hours will significantly increase the overall lifespan of the battery. It’s still getting charged to 100%.

By far - like really really far, the best way to optimize your battery charging is to do as you suggest and get a HomeKit compatible power socket and set up a battery charging shortcut automation.
You can set the cut off level and turn on level to any value you want.
Tip: use the argument “when battery level rises above” instead of “Equals”.
“Equal” can be missed in the background and the charger will keep on charging, while “Above” wakes it up eventually and turns off the charging maybe a few percentage points higher- but at least it turns off.

B0F87D75-251A-47B0-9F8C-A8DE5DE19349.png

Reactions: Chidoro and Jutah

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I use a smart plug with automations also. Optimized battery charging works inconsistency even if a strict schedule is followed. I've turned it off on my iPhone and AirPod Pro's and haven't missed it a bit

Reactions: Jutah

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
The iOS optimize battery charging concept is questionable at best even if it does happen to function (which it often doesn’t).
It’s doubtful that delaying a 100% charge for a few hours will significantly increase the overall lifespan of the battery. It’s still getting charged to 100%.

By far - like really really far, the best way to optimize your battery charging is to do as you suggest and get a HomeKit compatible power socket and set up a battery charging shortcut automation.
“Equal” can be missed in the background and the charger will keep on charging, while “Above” wakes it up eventually and turns off the charging maybe a few percentage points higher- but at least it turns off.

View attachment 1943060

great tips thanks a lot!

can i set the automation to start charging at around 4.am to make my battery around 80% when i wake up (7 am)?
i've never used the automations before :)

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
great tips thanks a lot!

can i set the automation to start charging at around 4.am to make my battery around 80% when i wake up (7 am)?
How long are you planning on keeping your iPhone?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It’s ok to have the battery sitting at 80% all day and night. It won’t be stressed at that level.
I’d just set the automation to stop charging when the battery charge rises above 80% and plug in the phone when you get home. It’s fine for it to sit at that SOC overnight.

Smart plugs usually have timers you can set in the app. So you c o u l d set the smart plug timer to turn on at your desired time and then it would start charging the battery then.
But if you’re charging only to 80% it’s not necessary. Kinda overkill.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

View attachment 1943060
I have 2 automation scripts, one that traps for equal to 80, and the other traps for rise above 80. Most of the time the charging stops at 80%.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hi all, i'm pretty precise about the battery health :)
Currently i'm charging my 13PM overnight with 5w charger.
Every night, at the same time, more or less

I use the same behaviour when i unplug the phone: around same time every morning.
The optmized charge has kicked in after a couple of weeks, it works fine for some days and the for 3-4 days it does not work.
This happened twice (i have 16 charching cycle).

Because of this, i'm thinking to create an automation using a smart plug to stop charging at around 80%.

I do not need a 100% charge at the wake time time, considering that my usual daily consumption is aprox 30-40% (when i go bed my phone is around 70%).

What do you think?
Is it better to let the native battery management do its job or go through the other way?
I want to save the battery health as much as i can.

My old 12PM, drop 3 points after 7-8 months (usual charging pattern).

Thank you
I use a HomeKit smart plug and Shortcut Automation scripts. When I go to bed and I need to charge, I plug in my phone to the charger, turn on the smart plug and when the battery reaches 80% the automation script cuts power to the charger. My phone never sits on a powered charging when the battery is charged to 80%. I even have Low Power Mode automatically turned on after the phone finishes charging. And in most cases, in the morning, the phone’s battery is pretty much still at or near 80%. I use a 12 watt charger. I follow the 80/20 rule.

Reactions: Jutah

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
great tips thanks a lot!

Just have the automation turn on Low Power Mode at the end of charging, your phone will be still be at 80% or very close 80% when you retrieve your phone in the morning.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I use a HomeKit smart plug and Shortcut Automation scripts. When I go to bed and I need to charge, I plug in my phone to the charger, turn on the smart plug and when the battery reaches 80% the automation script cuts power to the charger. My phone never sits on a powered charging when the battery is charged to 80%. I even have Low Power Mode automatically turned on after the phone finishes charging. And in most cases, in the morning, the phone’s battery is pretty much still at or near 80%. I use a 12 watt charger. I follow the 80/20 rule.
the Low Power Mode is a great tip ;)
Can you share your automations in some screenshot please?

one other question: do you turn on manually the smart plug each time to use it just when you need it?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
All smart plugs have a button on them to turn them off & on. You can also turn them off & on with their app or the HomeKit app. Most of them have timer functions too so you can automatically turn it on & off at any time you program.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
what charge are you using>?
i have choose this one, it'll be delivered on saturday

1642105310898.png

All smart plugs have a button on them to turn them off & on. You can also turn them off & on with their app or the HomeKit app. Most of them have timer functions too so you can automatically turn it on & off at any time you program.
yes you're right! Not shure if the one i chose has the button, anyway i can set an automation via plug app to turn it on at bed time.

Devilboss

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2022
Good evening, I don't know guys if this story of limiting the charge to 80% of its maximum can really help, for example I used this technique on an Asus laptop with the appropriate software, I charged 100% only once a month by completely downloading it, but after a year the battery life had dropped by 30% and yet never used to play. Now on the 12 pro I have deactivated the optimized charge, load below 20% up to 100% with 5w charger, life is 100% for one year.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Good evening, I don't know guys if this story of limiting the charge to 80% of its maximum can really help, for example I used this technique on an Asus laptop with the appropriate software, I charged 100% only once a month by completely downloading it, but after a year the battery life had dropped by 30% and yet never used to play. Now on the 12 pro I have deactivated the optimized charge, load below 20% up to 100% with 5w charger, life is 100% for one year.
Completely depleting and then charging to 100% from 0% puts a lot of stress on the battery. I won't do that. I get 2 days of usage on 80/20 rule.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
the Low Power Mode is a great tip ;)
Can you share your automations in some screenshot please?

one other question: do you turn on manually the smart plug each time to use it just when you need it?
I have several ways to turn on the smart plug. 1) Manually press the power button 2) Turn on the smart plug using a Shortcuts script 3) Use Siri to turn on the smart plug. I turn on the smart plug when I need it and is off other times.

This is my Shortcuts Automation to turn off the smart plug when the battery charges to 80%. I also created another Shortcuts Automation for the case were the battery charge rises about 80%. Not very often, in my case, iOS will not trigger when the battery reaches 80%. In that case, the other automation script catches that case.

As you can see, the automation scripts are very simple.

IMG_0368.jpeg

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

Reactions: fp99 and Jutah

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I have several ways to turn on the smart plug. 1) Manually press the power button 2) Turn on the smart plug using a Shortcuts script 3) Use Siri to turn on the smart plug. I turn on the smart plug when I need it and is off other times.

This is my Shortcuts Automation to turn off the smart plug when the battery charges to 80%. I also created another Shortcuts Automation for the case were the battery charge rises about 80%. Not very often, in my case, iOS will not trigger when the battery reaches 80%. In that case, the other automation script catches that case.

As you can see, the automation scripts are very simple.

View attachment 1943737

View attachment 1943740

View attachment 1943736

thanks indeed!
i'll try the automation as soon as i receive the plug.
I'll let you know if i can set up it properly :)

Do you have a daily routine about charging the iphone (i.e. overnight) or you just plug when you need to reach the 80%?

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys, thanks for the support.
I received the smart plug, added it to the home app and set the automation.

If I set just one automation it works, if I set both as suggested it works but it return me an error.. it seems that the automation trigger when the level rise up the 80% and then the second automation can’t work because the plug is already off.

Or so I suppose.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 20BAC8B3-F317-42B0-92C1-74A9B77B7113.png
    20BAC8B3-F317-42B0-92C1-74A9B77B7113.png
    470.4 KB · Views: 133

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
What does the error message say (in english)?

Try this change:
1ADAAE93-CCA2-4768-8611-A689DC482888.jpeg

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Your two arguments are asking the smart plug to do two different things at the same state of charge (80%).

Set one action to turn it off at 80% and another action to turn it back ON at 40% (or whatever)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
What does the error message say (in english)?

Try this change:
View attachment 1944692

I lost the notification but I’ll try to make it happens again.

Could be a good idea if I use just one automation? If I set the plug to turn off when the level rises up to 80? It should be settle at 81%, that is ok to me.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Your two arguments are asking the smart plug to do two different things at the same state of charge (80%).

Set one action to turn it off at 80% and another action to turn it back ON at 40% (or whatever)

Actually the automation are set on 2 different state of charge:

1) equal to 80
2) more than 80

Is it correct? There should be no conflict.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I lost the notification but I’ll try to make it happens again.

Could be a good idea if I use just one automation? If I set the plug to turn off when the level rises up to 80? It should be settle at 81%, that is ok to me.
The added if-statement should take care of it.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I think I know what the error message you got. If it says user does not have permission to run command. The way I fixed that is I executed the scene directly from Home app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.