Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
What do you mean with "trickle charging"? Sorry, i'm not a native speaker :p
In your 2nd automation why do you have 2
Trickle charging is when the phone maintains a certain charge level. For example, with optimized charging, the phone keeps charging until 80%, and if it goes under 80% while plugged in to the power cord, it charges it back to 80%. So, the phone is always charging the battery, little by little. Kind of like snacking.

The second automation is just a fail safe, in case it didn’t turn off with the first one.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Trickle charging is when the phone maintains a certain charge level. For example, with optimized charging, the phone keeps charging until 80%, and if it goes under 80% while plugged in to the power cord, it charges it back to 80%. So, the phone is always charging the battery, little by little. Kind of like snacking.

The second automation is just a fail safe, in case it didn’t turn off with the first one.

Oh si k, I got the point.
I never thought about the trickle but yes, it keeps maintaing that level for many hours.

Probably it’s better than go straight to 100 and stay there all night long but that’s not the best.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Oh si k, I got the point.
I never thought about the trickle but yes, it keeps maintaing that level for many hours.

Probably it’s better than go straight to 100 and stay there all night long but that’s not the best.
It is better for the battery to not constantly be charging to 100%. Optimized charging maintains 80% trickle charging for 2 hours and then slow charges from 80% to 100%. And if the phone is still on the charger after that, the phone is trickled charged. The idea is to not have the battery constantly on the charger at 100%.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
just check my wife's phone and... ready?

13 pro
75 cycle
full charge capacity: 3197
design capacity: 3095

more than 100mAh available after 4 months!!!!

o_O

Her strategy? charge overnight with a 20w and charge randomly when needed.

Mine:
13Pro Max
23 cycle
full charge capacity: 4419
design capacity: 4352

My strategy? very complex automation to stay in the 20/80 window.

She definitely won 😅🤦‍♂️

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
just check my wife's phone and... ready?

13 pro
75 cycle
full charge capacity: 3197
design capacity: 3095

more than 100mAh available after 4 months!!!!

o_O

Her strategy? charge overnight with a 20w and charge randomly when needed.

Mine:
13Pro Max
23 cycle
full charge capacity: 4419
design capacity: 4352

My strategy? very complex automation to stay in the 20/80 window.

She definitely won ??‍♂️
What was the full charge capability when you first got the phones?

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
What was the full charge capability when you first got the phones?

here you are. It changes day by day but now the trend seems to going down... what do you think?

1642799904323.png

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I think her battery was better out of the factory than yours.
Mountains and mountains of data from every researcher who’s become involved with lithium ion battery charging clearly point to the fact that full charging is detrimental to a lithium ion battery.
Every electric vehicle manufacturer concurs as well. Yes even Elon Musk too.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
Mountains and mountains of data from every researcher who’s become involved with lithium ion battery charging clearly point to the fact that full charging is detrimental to a lithium ion battery.
Every electric vehicle manufacturer concurs as well. Yes even Elon Musk too.
EV manufacturers do it primarily for an entirely different reason.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012

that's for sure!
i'll keeop an eye oh her battery consumption in the next days because i have no hostory.. but damn, 100mah+ after 75 cycles means that the battery was at least 200mah+ out of the factory :eek:

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
that's for sure!
i'll keeop an eye oh her battery consumption in the next days because i have no hostory.. but damn, 100mah+ after 75 cycles means that the battery was at least 200mah+ out of the factory :eek:
That would place her battery at close to 110% which is practically unheard of. Doesn’t seem plausible.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
That would place her battery at close to 110% which is practically unheard of. Doesn’t seem plausible.

dunno. Girl power probably. Her phone are always better than mine (battery, screen, etc...). I'm a bit upset LOL

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
it has start working properly, or so it seems (2 nights in a row).

Would like to thank @now i see it @Taz Mangus @nmeed for your support and patience in the explanation. Appreciate it!

PS: with a 5w charger it takes 1.4h to go from 49% to 82%

34135C52-41FF-434C-962F-04E5E33E2279.jpeg 56118B18-EEC7-4A43-A0E6-EED929E9D4F6.png

Reactions: nmeed

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys, here again :p

I created another automation that notify a specific status (battery level at 25%) to my apple watch, cool! Is there a way to have a similar notification with other apple devices? Airpods, i.e.

I found this on the internet but probablu ity's a 3rd party app.

271548029_609556933466660_5265252740234130103_n.png

Last edited:

dobrewski_77

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Plovdiv,Bulgaria
Hi guys! I've made a thread earlier today, however now one replied and give feedback. I have had my 13 Pro for about 1 month and today I noticed that my BH is already at 99%. My charging habits are pretty simple - charging with Apple's original 20W charger while I'm at home and using the 5W charger at the office. Never run out of battery below 20% and tried to maintain the 20-80 strategy.

According to Coconut, here are my battery stats:

Full Charge Capacity: 3071 mAh
Cycle count: 25

Is that something to worry about? I'm not seeing any difference in the phone's battery performance at all. Getting about 2 and half days of usage. Any tips on how I can maintain good long-term battery health? Thanks a lot!

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi guys! I've made a thread earlier today, however now one replied and give feedback. I have had my 13 Pro for about 1 month and today I noticed that my BH is already at 99%. My charging habits are pretty simple - charging with Apple's original 20W charger while I'm at home and using the 5W charger at the office. Never run out of battery below 20% and tried to maintain the 20-80 strategy.

Is that something to worry about? I'm not seeing any difference in the phone's battery performance at all. Getting about 2 and half days of usage. Any tips on how I can maintain good long-term battery health? Thanks a lot!

nothing to worry about.
As long as you follow the 20/80 strategy you're doing the best you can for your battery.

Even if i'm pretty OCD about the battery, i have to admit that the battery status on the iphone - as the mAh coconut shows you - are very very weak numbers, not solid at all.

Remember that your iphone is eligible for a free battery replacement when the level go under the 80% within 2years.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021

The only two things I’d advise for you is don’t let it fall below 20% and avoid scenarios that produce excess heat like fast charging with a case on or playing high intensity games while charging. Also don’t leave your iPhone in a hot car in the summer. Besides that nothing else you do would have a significant impact.
You don’t have to worry about purchasing a smart plug for this alone and just enjoy your iPhone. It’s just easier to just use that money towards a new battery down the lane.

It’s well worth the peace of mind to have one less thing to think about every day.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys, i pop up the thread to ask for help again.
My Smart Plug is driving me nuts.

After 2 months with zero problems, now it happens that sometimes the automation cannot be completed because the iphone can't connect to the Smart Plug.

After a little investigation i understand it is related to the network i'm connected: if on 2,4 it works, if it's on 5.0 it doesn't.

Well, the weird thing is that it has always been controlled by my iphone connected to the 5.0!

Another weird thing: when it shows the error, i switch my wifi connection to 2,4 and i am able to control the Plug. If i reboot the router, connect to the 5.0 i'm able again to control the plug o_O

Any idea of what's going on?

Last edited:

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Hi Guys, i pop up the thread to ask for help again.
My Smart Plug is getting me nuts.

After 2 months with zero problems, now it happens that sometimes the automation cannot be completed because the iphone can't connect to the Smart Plug.

After a little investigation i understand it is related to the network i'm connected: if on 2,4 it works, if it's on 5.0 it doesn't.

Well, the weird thing is that it has always been controlled by my iphone connected to the 5.0!

Another weird thing: when it shows the error, i switch my wifi connection to 2,4 and i am able to control the Plug. If i reboot the router, connect to the 5.0 i'm able again to control the plug o_O

Delete the Shortcut routine and add it back again. Make sure you can disconnect and turn on the plug from your phone. If that doesn’t work, then reset smart plug and add it back to Home again.

Last edited:

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Delete the Shortcut routine and add it back again. Make sure you can disconnect and turn on the plug from your phone. If that doesn’t work, then reset smart plug and add it back to Home again.

thank you very much for the answer.
I'll try.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006

If it’s failing when the screen is locked, might try adding a scripting ‘wait 4sec’ (even two in a row) between the battery-trigger, and the smartplug-off actions.

In my experience, a locked screen = intermittent wifi connection. The battery-trigger wakes the screen and 2x wait provides time for wifi to reestablish before executing the smartplug-off action.

One other tip is to commence charging just before waking - ie, let the batt sit idle overnight at low voltage.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
If it’s failing when the screen is locked, might try adding a scripting ‘wait 4sec’ (even two in a row) between the battery-trigger, and the smartplug-off actions.

In my experience, a locked screen = intermittent wifi connection. The battery-trigger wakes the screen and 2x wait provides time for wifi to reestablish before executing the smartplug-off action.

One other tip is to commence charging just before waking - ie, let the batt sit idle overnight at low voltage.
Good advise. For me, I just deleted the shortcut automation and added it again, which seems to have fixed the issue. If it happens again, I will add the wait command. Thanks.

Reactions: reppans

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys! what's your current situation? I had a boost after the last iOS upgrande, but after a couple of week it went back to rnormal. 4month device.

1650633749798.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.