Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
This time two weeks ago the battery on my 14 month old iPhone 12 was at 89% health. I found this shocking as my iPhone 8 Plus was at 89% when I sold it after over 2 years of daily use!

I have just checked it again now and it’s saying this:
6ebb416f156f604963ed63f12eaef4c3.jpg

I charge it no differently or more regularly than the 8 Plus, yet the battery health is falling like a stone. What is the percentage where it advises a battery replacement? If it falls to whatever that is or below before my 2 year contract ends I will be demanding a free replacement from Apple. Totally unacceptable.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
This time two weeks ago the battery on my 14 month old iPhone 12 was at 89% health. I found this shocking as my iPhone 8 Plus was at 89% when I sold it after over 2 years of daily use!

I have just checked it again now and it’s saying this:

I charge it no differently or more regularly than the 8 Plus, yet the battery health is falling like a stone. What is the percentage where it advises a battery replacement? If it falls to whatever that is or below before my 2 year contract ends I will be demanding a free replacement from Apple. Totally unacceptable.

the battery level that is covered by warranty is 80% within 2 years.
If your device drops under the 80% capacity within 2 years you're entitled for a free replacement.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
It wasn't able to turn on the plug.
I added the "wait" option just in the main action on the level rises up to 80, but probably i have to add the "wait" option in EVERY automation before the main one.

Now this my #15 revision set :D

action 1
at 4 a.m, > wait 4 sec + turn on wifi on

action 2
at 4 a.m, > wait 4 sec + run charger on

action 3
at >80% > wait 4 sec + power saving + run charger off + turn off wifi

This thing is driving me nuts!!

If this works ok, otherwise i'll retun the plug and roll back to optmize charge on iphone i think :(
You have a lot of things going on currently. Remove action 1 and 2. Just have your wifi on and your charger on. Not sure why you would have them off to begin with bits that’s besides the point. For now just try what I have posted below and see if it works or not. Don’t include power saving or turn off wifi. Just focus on turning your charger off for now and take it from there. If that works then you can start adding to it. Mimic what I have done as best you can. Make sure however you test the shortcut. Make sure you press the play button and your plug does indeed turn off.

Attachments

• 5E377656-7C9C-4D47-96CB-9DEA94D376C6.jpeg
    5E377656-7C9C-4D47-96CB-9DEA94D376C6.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 57
  • CADCFA31-EB4A-43A6-B721-FA978DBC6500.jpeg
    CADCFA31-EB4A-43A6-B721-FA978DBC6500.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Jutah

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Unbelievable.
Even this night the automation failed.

It wasn't able to turn on the plug.
I added the "wait" option just in the main action on the level rises up to 80, but probably i have to add the "wait" option in EVERY automation before the main one.

Now this my #15 revision set :D

action 1
at 4 a.m, > wait 4 sec + turn on wifi on

action 2
at 4 a.m, > wait 4 sec + run charger on

action 3
at >80% > wait 4 sec + power saving + run charger off + turn off wifi

This thing is driving me nuts!!

If this works ok, otherwise i'll retun the plug and roll back to optmize charge on iphone i think :(
Maybe look at getting a different brand smart plug. The Wemo works very well and no wait is needed. I am sure there are other brands that work just well.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
the battery level that is covered by warranty is 80% within 2 years.
If your device drops under the 80% capacity within 2 years you're entitled for a free replacement.

Yeah exactly. I spoke to Apple this morning and they wouldn’t admit it was low but did say if it drops below 80% within 24 months then I could have the iPhone replaced. They ran a diagnostic check and said the phone was in perfect working order lol. I’ve kept the transcript in case there are any issues.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
You have a lot of things going on currently. Remove action 1 and 2. Just have your wifi on and your charger on. Not sure why you would have them off to begin with bits that’s besides the point. For now just try what I have posted below and see if it works or not. Don’t include power saving or turn off wifi. Just focus on turning your charger off for now and take it from there. If that works then you can start adding to it. Mimic what I have done as best you can. Make sure however you test the shortcut. Make sure you press the play button and your plug does indeed turn off.

You’re right, too many things and something that make it stop working properly.

Anyway, this morning I tried to add the wait command to all the 3 actions and it works properly).

Even if I think that the wait command does the trick I’ll follow your suggestion.

Starting simple, and then add actions, little by little.

I tried the shortcut and tested it with the play button: all good ?

Reactions: nmeed

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
How much battery does HomeKit consume when utilizing a smart plug? Is the phone always searching for the smart plug?

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Update: this night it worked in the proper way. The wait command was the key. I’ll check just some other days to say we won ?

A question for all you folks using this way to charge: have you experienced a real improvement in maintain the battery health as high as possible?

I’ve used the optimized charge with a walled 5watt chargersince the release, but the % and the Nominal Charge value drop every few. I now it’s battery phisiology but, well, the challenge is to make the battery as young as possible ? 36F8AAB5-EF60-401F-A2DB-B3F6C19BF7BF.png

Reactions: nmeed

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Update: this night it worked in the proper way. The wait command was the key. I’ll check just some other days to say we won 😄
From your battery usage chart, you got about 4:30, 26% battery used. That is fantastic battery life.

A question for all you folks using this way to charge: have you experienced a real improvement in maintain the battery health as high as possible?

I’ve used the optimized charge with a walled 5watt chargersince the release, but the % and the Nominal Charge value drop every few. I now it’s battery phisiology but, well, the challenge is to make the battery as young as possible 😄 View attachment 1947280
This my battery health since using the HomeKit smart plug. My battery health is pretty much the same as it was when I received my 13 Pro Max on launch day. This is what CoconutBattrey app shows. The battery size in the 13 Pro Max is 4352 mAh and the actual battery size is slightly larger. Every iPhone probably has a slight larger battery.

I have been using a 12-watt charger. I just noticed my cycle count was not 0 when I received it, there appears to have been 4 charging cycles on it when I received it. Might be related to a random quality check at some point when the phone was being assembled or from the factory that produces the batteries before it was received to where the phone is assembled.

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 3.30.26 PM.png

Last edited:

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
From your battery usage chart, you got about 4:30, 26% battery used. That is fantastic battery life.

This my battery health since using the HomeKit smart plug. My battery health is pretty much the same as it was when I received my 13 Pro Max on launch day. This is what CoconutBattrey app shows. The battery size in the 13 Pro Max is 4352 mAh and the actual battery size is slightly larger. Every iPhone probably has a slight larger battery.

I have been using a 12-watt charger. I just noticed my cycle count was not 0 when I received it, there appears to have been 4 charging cycles on it when I received it. Might be related to a random quality check at some point when the phone was being assembled or from the factory before it was received to where the phone is assembled.

View attachment 1947297
You got a real strong mAh from factory! This is my situation. Don't know if it is related but it has started to drop since i turn off the optimize charge and started playing with the automation and the 80% "philosophy".

1642759445270.png

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You got a real strong mAh from factory! This is my situation. Don't know if it is related but it has started to drop since i turn off the optimize charge and started playing with the automation and the 80% "philosophy".

View attachment 1947318
I have been following the 80/20 charging rule and I have had optimized battery charging off since the day I received my 13 Pro Max. I am averaging about 3 battery charges a week, charge about every 2 days.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
All right. I bought the smart plug two weeks ago, but have been procrastinating until now. Finally made the shortcut. I am charging to 100%, and having the smart plug turn off at 100% because I believe trickle charging is probably doing the worst damage. I have also set the smart plug to turn on at 9pm everyday in case I need to charge the iPad, etc.

97DF7276-59D7-48FD-AD1C-CF1AD7F3C6C7.jpg

Last edited:

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
To be honest, since Apple has opted to provide basic replacement parts for iPhone 12's and 13 models for "right to repair" at "lower costs"(not sure what that means). But its awesome to get OEM parts to fix my own phone.

I'm a very DIY person, so now I don't even worry about battery life, battery health, or charge cycles.

I'm not even that worried about cracking my device either TBH. I do have a screen protector and a slim-case on my 13 pro. I have AppleCare+ on it as well if I can't/don't feel like fixing it myself.

I don't think people should worry about battery degradation anymore, or charging tricks to preserve battery health/life.

I'm expecting batteries to be "fairly" affordable and easily obtainable, instead of Janky-shotty batteries from amazon and Ebay.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
To be honest, since Apple has opted to provide basic replacement parts for iPhone 12's and 13 models for "right to repair" at "lower costs"(not sure what that means). But its awesome to get OEM parts to fix my own phone.

I'm a very DIY person, so now I don't even worry about battery life, battery health, or charge cycles.

I'm not even that worried about cracking my device either TBH. I do have a screen protector and a slim-case on my 13 pro. I have AppleCare+ on it as well if I can't/don't feel like fixing it myself.

I don't think people should worry about battery degradation anymore, or charging tricks to preserve battery health/life.

I'm expecting batteries to be "fairly" affordable and easily obtainable, instead of Janky-shotty batteries from amazon and Ebay.
Even if Apple provides me with OEM batteries, I won’t change it myself. Changing cell phone batteries is not comparable to changing AA batteries in one’s remote. ?

However, if Apple ever designs a phone where you can easily slide in the new battery, like your SIM card, then sure. Apple or Samsung, someone has the break the ice and do this already.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

I have replaced enough batteries on iPhones to know that I don’t want to ever do it again. It is too easy to destroy the display cable connector.

Even so, the longer I can go without worrying about replacing parts such as the battery, the better. Yes, it is fairly cheap to have the battery replaced but I would rather use the $69 for something else.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I have been following the 80/20 charging rule and I have had optimized battery charging off since the day I received my 13 Pro Max. I am averaging about 3 battery charges a week, charge about every 2 days.
So you are charging at half the rate of a normal user. That could explain why battery health is still not affected.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012

So, usually when you charge your device (every 2 days) it's around 30% i suppose. Great. I'll follow your way. Usually i charge it every night, aside from the % i have (around 50/55%).

All right. I bought the smart plug two weeks ago, but have been procrastinating until now. Finally made the shortcut. I am charging to 100%, and having the smart plug turn off at 100% because I believe trickle charging is probably doing the worst damage. I have also set the smart plug to turn on at 9pm everyday in case I need to charge the iPad, etc.

View attachment 1947321

What do you mean with "trickle charging"? Sorry, i'm not a native speaker :p
In your 2nd automation why do you have 2 Kasa Smart WiFi automations?
If i were you i would charge till 90, not over

yeah, eager to the best battery life ever is kinda OCD, i admit it.
The problem is that even if i have the apple care + active, they can't replace my battery for free if it should drop to 90% in some months. Til 80% it's considered ok.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
~$69 after a few years of using my phone and not having to think about my battery?

I'd take that all day every day.

and once I pony up ~$69 my battery life goes back to 100% and I don't have to worry about it again?

I'd pay $69 every 18-36 months to not worry about my battery health. That's less than 13 cents a day if you change it every 18 months. 6 cents a day if you change it in 3 years....

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
yeah, eager to the best battery life ever is kinda OCD, i admit it.
The problem is that even if i have the apple care + active, they can't replace my battery for free if it should drop to 90% in some months. Til 80% it's considered ok.
Not caring and living has really helped me with my *undiagnosed* OCD.

I'd rather not think and worry about things that CAN be fixed. (especially by me OR at least fairly cheap).

But hey, you guys do you. I guess I poked a few OCD battery health bears. ☮️👍✌️👌

Reactions: Brooke795
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.