Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Zhengzhou city in China today implemented lockdowns near Foxconn's main iPhone manufacturing facilities, which could ultimately impact Apple's supply chain, reports Bloomberg.

AppleVsFoxconn-Feature.jpg

Some areas in the Zhengzhou Airport Economy Zone have been placed under quarantine effective immediately, and people in the area must stay in their homes and are not permitted to leave. The Airport Economy Zone is where Foxconn's largest iPhone assembly plant is located, and the lockdown comes after employees have been undergoing mandatory Covid testing.

China has been implementing lockdowns in an attempt to curb the spread of the coronavirus, and these efforts could have an impact on Apple device manufacturing. At this time, there appear to be no iPhone or iPad delays, but Apple has been battling MacBook Pro shortages. Apple suppliers Pegatron and Quanta have also recently halted production in eastern China due to Covid restrictions.

Back in March, Foxconn was forced to suspend production for several days in Shenzhen following a city-wide lockdown that prevented residents from leaving their homes. The shutdown lasted just a couple of days before Foxconn was able to resume production, with employees living and working at the factory in bubble arrangements.

Article Link: China Implements Lockdowns Near Main Foxconn iPhone Manufacturing Plant

Last edited:

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Crazy country. Do they expect to lock down their borders for tourism forever as well? Like … Covid will never go away. Everyone should know this by now.
our country kinda this month open the border.China is a bit strict upon covid. The current strain maybe a bit lesser then the original .

But what really effect me ? . A few month ago , we work remote and our workplace try to find new laptop mac for work . We said , we allready got m1 and intel . In the end , we just use old imac because much easier compile code between colig . Procurement maybe hard a bit in past 2 year , but what we can do just adopt as it.

And yet most of apple’s products are still being made there
Well, production in India has started. So this is a good step forward.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
China might be too harsh on controlling the virus, but I think we are overly too casual on the opposite direction. I am extremely worried each of the days when I have to stay in the office.
Make sure you are fully vaccinated, wear an N95 mask in crowded places and you'll be fine. There's really not much more you can do; we can't avoid normal life forever.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Make sure you are fully vaccinated, wear an N95 mask in crowded places and you'll be fine. There's really not much more you can do; we can't avoid normal life forever.
Actually there is.

Businesses and transportation that utilize closed areas need to clean the air at regular intervals. I would think that China is probably aware of this benefit and their factories are implementing upgrades to air circulation in their many manufacturing facilities.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
If I said and yet parts are being supplied from there then you’re right however I said being made there. Big difference
being made/assemble more on re-pakaging the procurement . Made in malaysia e.g mac studio , only combining all the part into one product and some said here india also doing phone and before i think brasil also doing it also.Procurement is big complex business , but if one down , it will effect everyone timing.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
A country valuing life over money.
said no Ukrainian ever because China criticizing or denouncing Putin's actions would cost China financially.

China and Russia have an increasingly strong economic and trade relationship, supported by China’s growing demand for energy, food and other goods. Energy accounted for two-thirds of Chinese imports from Russia last year and that was set to keep growing after the signing of gas and oil supply deals when Xi and Putin met in Beijing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.