Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I don't think many of you understand that when they say "Lockdown" they mean: You can't leave your home period, for any reason. That means if you run out of food, you starve. If you have a heart attack, you die. The Chinese authorities don't mess around.
Given how China abuses human rights regularly its a LITTE ironic they are soooooo “Concerned“ with a few people getting sick or dying from their virus.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
said no Ukrainian ever because China criticizing or denouncing Putin's actions would cost China financially.

Economic ties have nothing to do with the decision. They have common ground on opposing the US and also a shared interest in taking control of nearby regions. Same reason Israel is staying quiet on Ukraine.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
Meanwhile they are euthanizing people's pets without consent and the police is being violent towards those who protest.

No. Freaking. Thanks.
Political opinions here. Macrumors will censor you shortly. Also no China negative talk allowed. You better edit your post and spin it into a positive. Perhaps something like, "China health officials are humanly putting old dogs with virus to sleep in order to relieve them of painful unstoppable death."

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
China might be too harsh on controlling the virus, but I think we are overly too casual on the opposite direction. I am extremely worried each of the days when I have to stay in the office.

I think the western world is doing just fine since we are free of dictorial governments . If you want stricter rules maybe you should think about relocating.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I'm not sure the million dead americans would agree with you

It's been suggested 6% of deaths were due to covid alone, while 94% died with comorbidities so -- not to be callous by any means -- they were at risk anyway. I'm sure the vast majority of people haven't been studying infectious diseases and complications from infections. Political agendas and media clickbait don't get the throw out a century of science.

kcslc

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2018
China might be too harsh on controlling the virus, but I think we are overly too casual on the opposite direction. I am extremely worried each of the days when I have to stay in the office.
I work at a hospital. I had to go in every day throughout 2020 and 2021. Pre vaccine. Now that I’m vaccinated, boosted, and got omicron and recovered, I’m trying not to really worry about it anymore.

jeffpeng

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2021
Expecting a November 2022 release for iPhone 14
Release.... no, but have that effectively happen with tons of back orders .... oh yeah.

I will have to hurry in order to get my 13 mini. My only doubt is, red or midnight? Uhm…
Red of course. Silly question.

the made in india iphone are for indian market. not subject to be exported.
Could you elaborate on why this makes any sense? Genuine question.

Reactions: Populus

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
We’ve seen these measures work to control the virus when it’s growing. Lockdown for a little while and cases go down and the spreading gets reduced. We’ve been through it for more than 2 years, we know it works. I’m sorry you are panicking about the risk of not getting your new iPhone in time.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
We’ve seen these measures work to control the virus when it’s growing. Lockdown for a little while and cases go down and the spreading gets reduced. We’ve been through it for more than 2 years, we know it works. I’m sorry you are panicking about the risk of not getting your new iPhone in time.
The problem is though that Omicron is way more transmissible, which means that it requires way stricter lockdowns. In previous lockdowns in China you could still go out to buy food and medicine, but in Shanghai that’s no longer an option. It also means lockdowns will be more and more frequent and last longer.

I don’t think this policy can be sustained much longer.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
It's been suggested 6% of deaths were due to covid alone, while 94% died with comorbidities so -- not to be callous by any means -- they were at risk anyway. I'm sure the vast majority of people haven't been studying infectious diseases and complications from infections. Political agendas and media clickbait don't get the throw out a century of science.

Genocide is bad. Mass death of people with disabilities and pre-existing conditions, is good.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
The problem is though that Omicron is way more transmissible, which means that it requires way stricter lockdowns. In previous lockdowns in China you could still go out to buy food and medicine, but in Shanghai that’s no longer an option. It also means lockdowns will be more and more frequent and last longer.

I don’t think this policy can be sustained much longer.

Yeah if you get caught outside during a lockdown, you might be beat up by the authorities . Nice country to live in.

Reactions: Lcgiv and msp3

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
I wonder how difficult it would be for American tech companies to start the process of shifting manufacturing to Mexico and shutting down the drug cartels with legitimate large scale business opportunities and jobs?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I wonder how much of this is out of a desire to punish countries taking action against Russia's actions lately. I haven't read that China is having some wide sweeping and incredibly dangerous and deadly variant. But who knows, maybe they are. It just seems 'convenient'... *shrug* Stay tuned?

So far, from what I've read, it's Russia, China, India, Belarus, etc...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I wonder how difficult it would be for American tech companies to start the process of shifting manufacturing to Mexico and shutting down the drug cartels with legitimate large scale business opportunities and jobs?

Massive.

One of my clients shifted some of their manufacturing to Mexico, or 'tried' to. On a weekend, they had a portable crane and a massive oversized flatbed truck come over to 'steal' this massive 'machine tool', and they ran into some problems. Workers came in Monday to see the mess, with the crane and truck still there. Apparently they forgot to remove a number of attachments and where all of the power and anchor points were. I'm sure it was embarrassing for management, and the employees were not at all happy. I was called out for an office networking issue, and saw the mess the removal left, finally. I'm sure it was expensive.

Moving fab machinery is not likely to be easy, or inexpensive.

Reactions: ilikewhey

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The life of whom? The government? Because surely you aren’t talking about those being locked inside their apartments without food or medication over a virus that has mutated to be less potent than the flu.

I wonder how much of this is out of a desire to punish countries taking action against Russia's actions lately. I haven't read that China is having some wide sweeping and incredibly dangerous and deadly variant. But who knows, maybe they are. It just seems 'convenient'... *shrug* Stay tuned?

So far, from what I've read, it's Russia, China, India, Belarus, etc...

Anyone believing the offical Chinese figures on Covid is incredibly naive. I understand Lenin had a term for them.

Reactions: Lcgiv and msp3

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Release.... no, but have that effectively happen with tons of back orders .... oh yeah.

Red of course. Silly question.

Could you elaborate on why this makes any sense? Genuine question.
from what i gathered its a logistic thing, india is known for bureaucratic red tape for any business and bribing is almost a formality. apple is doing the bare minimum in investment so they are not hit by the tariff subjected by the indian gov't, that is also why you only see base models being produced, since in order to produce pro models, apple suppliers would have to import materials in order to sustain the manufacturing, such materials are not readily available nor reliable within India itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.