Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I'm not defending China's extreme lockdowns at all, but you're obviously making a slippery slope argument here. The goal of lockdowns is not eradication. Like masks, it's to limit the spread, so public health resources are not overwhelmed. China has high population densities, a whole lot of people to vaccinate, and a less effective vaccine. If they took the same crappy approach that we did in the US, they'd be looking at 5-10 million dead by now.
Wasn’t “two weeks to flatten the curve” ample time to eradicate the virus due to its incubation period which was then extended to a month and so on and even provide public health hospitals to obtain those resources and make preparations. It seems the measure has failed on many levels but is still being implemented like the saying, expecting a different outcome when making the same mistake. Everything else you have mentioned is also a failure and erroneous if you looked for the data yourself instead of reiterating propaganda media.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Basically all mainstream Anglo-Saxon media.
That's where the vast majority here form their opinions, which are driven by over sensationalised media outlets. They very likely have zero first hand knowledge or experience of life in China, worse their minds are seemingly closed off.

I'm from the UK of Celtic & Nordic decent therefore have no axe to grind or political affiliation for that matter. I just state what I see as a first hand observer not an armchair warrior with a mindset driven by bigotry. Once one see's both sides of the coin, only then do you understand the full picture and it's frequently different to one's expectation's.

TLDR: Life in China is very far from what's depicted in western media...

Q-6

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Wasn’t “two weeks to flatten the curve” ample time to eradicate the virus due to its incubation period which was then extended to a month and so on and even provide public health hospitals to obtain those resources and make preparations. It seems the measure has failed on many levels but is still being implemented like the saying, expecting a different outcome when making the same mistake. Everything else you have mentioned is also a failure and erroneous if you looked for the data yourself instead of reiterating propaganda media.
Nope. That's just the oversimplification pushed by conspiracy theorists to try to discredit public health experts. You're talking about a fantasy lockdown where every human and covid-susceptible animal on the planet is isolated for two weeks and everyone stops being infectious in the typical course of infection.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Nope. That's just the oversimplification pushed by conspiracy theorists to try to discredit public health experts. You're talking about a fantasy lockdown where every human and covid-susceptible animal on the planet is isolated for two weeks and everyone stops being infectious in the typical course of infection.
So according to you and whatever sources you are aligning with we need to lockdown and isolate all humans and animals susceptible for two weeks got it. /s ??

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So according to you and whatever sources you are aligning with we need to lockdown and isolate all humans and animals susceptible for two weeks got it. /s ??
No. I said that’s a fantasy that conspiracy theorists promote as a strawman.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
No. I said that’s a fantasy that conspiracy theorists promote as a strawman.
Sounds like the straw-man argument and conspiracy was probably from the folks who sold fear and shamelessly continue to do so without any regard for the larger picture. By having a pigeon hole policy the rest falls apart that is lunacy.

For example it like treating ones toes from lack of blood loss instead of addressing the damaged artery higher up the leg and not paying attention that the patient is going into shock, but hey since we have a blood transfusion just below he damaged artery that temporary resolved the blue toes all is good; except now the patient is dead but hey whatever. Penny wise and Pound foolish re/action.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Sounds like the straw-man argument and conspiracy was probably from the folks who sold fear and shamelessly continue to do so without any regard for the larger picture. By having a pigeon hole policy the rest falls apart that is lunacy.
And yet it was you that brought it up... :)

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Obviously. Companies doing business in China must positively contribute to the long term development of China, and they must align with the national planning guidelines.
I disagree with that type of governance. It's too nationalistic in a global economy and will just hinder the pace of progress for the entire world.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
I disagree with that type of governance. It's too nationalistic in a global economy and will just hinder the pace of progress for the entire world.

If not, then they can just pay the full tax amount and receive no government subsidies and incentives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.