Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
i tried lost in space in Netflix s1 between the 37 abd 38th minute mark, and i definitely saw some kind of slowdown/stuttering issues, and I have seen this effect in altered carbon too.

Are my eyes deceiving me or are you experiencing the same?

Btw I can’ t enable hdr in the YouTube app, tried a dozen 4K hdr clips, but there is no option to turn it on anywhere, just 1080p60, no hdr. Any tips?

Last edited:

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Also having the same problem on my XS max. No option for YouTube HDR.

Is anyone with a regular sized X/XS having the same issue or is it limited to the max?

Reactions: Nathan576

Jack25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010

Is anyone with a regular sized X/XS having the same issue or is it limited to the max?
Im experiencing the same. No HDR option in the YouTube app.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
It could be a problem because of the new res of the XS max, and YouTube not recognizing it.
But perhaps there is someone with a regular sized XS (same red as the x) that could test this?

But no one having judder issues with Netflix , slight stuttering and jerkiness in Dolby vision hdr content when watching full screen?
I have, especially when a lot is going on onscreen, and there is plenty of bandwidth, so that can’ t be the problem.

Last edited:

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
It could be a problem because of the new res of the CSU max, and YouTube not recognizing it.
But perhaps there is someone with a regular sized XS (same red as the x) that could test this?

But no one having judder issues with Netflix , slight stuttering and jerkiness in Dolby vision hdr content when watching full screen?
I have, especially when a lot is going on onscreen, and there is plenty of bandwidth, so that can’ t be the problem.

I have an XS max and Netflix (UK).

Tell me what show you’re having issues with and I’ll check it out on my XS max to see if I get the same issues as you.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I have an XS max and Netflix (UK).

Tell me what show you’re having issues with and I’ll check it out on my XS max to see if I get the same issues as you.

Lost in space, especially episode 1 with the snow and mountains (about 40 mins)

maxime_jean

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I have experienced exactly the same kind of problem micro-stuttering issues on the avengers infinity bought on iTunes. I have an iPhone XS Max also.
Hardware or software problem ? I don't know

SidBoggle

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Bucks, UK
There was quite a lot of stuttering on Netflix Ozark season 2 episode 5 I watched today in full screen. Definitely an issue there.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180923-001655.png
    Screenshot_20180923-001655.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,035
  • Screenshot_20180923-001716.png
    Screenshot_20180923-001716.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,038
  • Screenshot_20180923-002246.png
    Screenshot_20180923-002246.png
    633.7 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:

mmag05

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018

I’m having the same issues on an XS with YouTube. Issue doesn’t exist on my old X and I did a side by side comparison with the same video.
[doublepost=1537678948][/doublepost]

No option on the XS either

mmag05

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
As the above person said, it will never be available unless apple accepts vp9 or google accepts h265 for video playback

This doesn’t make since I was literally just watching an HDR video on YouTube per the playback quality on my X. Right next to it I had the XS playing the same video and the playback settings didn’t show HDR. Even the video were clearly different in their color range. Im not talking about getting 4K playback just getting the 1080p HDR setting on my XS like it is on my X.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
i tried lost in space in Netflix s1 beteren the 37 abd 38th minute mark, and i definitely sew some kind of slowdown/stuttering issues, and I have seen this effect in altered carbon too.

Are my eyes deceiving me or are you experiencing the same?

Btw I can’ t enable hdr in the YouTube app, tried a dozen 4K hdr clips, but there is no option to turn it on anywhere, just 1080p60, no hdr. Any tips?

Well, I’m having the same issue on my XS Max on HDR downloaded content from iTunes. The Post is nigh unwatchable because of it.

It’s either a bug in OS12 or a hardware problem. I’ve tried everything to solve it to no avail. It does it when a movie is downloaded too. Considering returning it.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010

Same issue as you, some small amounts of stutter around that scene. Looks like other people are also having the same issue.

I hope it’s something that can be fixed with a software update :/

I think it would be helpful to submit feedback to apple about it so we can hopefully get a fix soon.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Same issue as you, some small amounts of stutter around that scene. Looks like other people are also having the same issue.

I hope it’s something that can be fixed with a software update :/

I think it would be helpful to submit feedback to apple about it so we can hopefully get a fix soon.

But does this stuttering of movie playback in iTunes and Netflix also appear on the regular xs?
Could someone try that out?

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Ok thanks,
To me it seems the issues occur especially on Dolby vision /hdr content and with big panning shots, smoke/mist effects and scenes shot with bokeh effects.

Perhaps someone with a xs max has 12.1 beta installed? Are you experiencing the same problems ?

Last edited:

Stevejr

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
Ok thanks,
To me it seems the issues occur especially on Dolby vision /hdr content and with big panning shots, smoke/mist effects and scenes shot with bokeh effects.

Perhaps someone with a xs max has 12.1 beta installed? Are you experiencing the same problems ?
Hi, the weird thing is i try to download the show from netflix, then played them with the wifi off, it is way smoother. You mind to try that and update here? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.