Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
So it would seem to be a software problem?
Could be a hardware problem, since both the xs and xs max have the same soc.

It was better if the xs wouldn’t have had the problem, so it would be a resolution problem or something like that.
[doublepost=1537709791][/doublepost]
Hi, the weird thing is i try to download the show from netflix, then played them with the wifi off, it is way smoother. You mind to try that and update here? Thanks.
No, it doesn’t get any better, experiencing the same problems. Do you download in the low settings or the higher settings(you can see it in app settings). In the higher settings I still get these slowdowns with WiFi off.

maxime_jean

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Could be a hardware problem, since both the xs and xs max have the same soc.

It was better if the xs wouldn’t have had the problem, so it would be a resolution problem or something like that.

Ok A problem with the A12 soc for decoding HDR content. Strange no problem with the A11

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Ok A problem with the A12 soc for decoding HDR content. Strange no problem with the A11
We don’ t know, it probably is software, but a hardware problem can’ t be ruled out right now, because the xs has the same problems. So it Isn’ t just a problem because of the new screen resolution of the max.

maxime_jean

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Ok I will call Apple assistance tomorrow morning to see with us
[doublepost=1537710756][/doublepost]I'm really disappointed about Apple. Video blaypack is the basis on a smartphone...

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I’ve submitted a bug report to apple. I’d suggest others do the same in the hopes of highlighting the issue to them.

I’ve also submitted a bug report to google/YT to try and get YT HDR support back on the XS devices.

maxime_jean

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I'm going to do the same. I'm not worried about the HDR support on youtube iOS application for the new XS devices. It's just a time issue probably in a next update of the application. But the stuttering on video playback is worrisome

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
No one tried if 12.1 beta fixes the stuttering?

Just tried it on 12.1 beta now. I think there’s still a stutter there but it’s possibly a bit better than before?!

Could you find something on Netflix that gives you really obvious stutter? Let me know on here and I’ll try it on 12.1.

Last edited:

Stevejr

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
Just tried it on 12.1 beta now. I think there’s still a stutter there but it’s posisbly a bit better than before?!

Could you find something on Netflix that gives you really obvious stutter? Let me know on here and I’ll try it on 12.1.
Does 12.1 bring back the youtube 1080p hdr setting sir?

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Tried on 12.1 beta; the issue persists (and doesn’t appear any less frequently or less dramatically, from what I can tell).

I think it’s a hardware issue affecting some devices. Possibly a manufacturing defect. Or a bug in OS12. I returned my Xs Max this morning and have to wait a few weeks to buy one again, as Apple is out of stock. But I’m fine waiting. Video playback is everything for me. I don’t watch movies on a TV or laptop.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
It all has to do with vp9 or with resolution. Apple is fooling customers that they have near 2k screen, but video playback is downgraded to the lower resolution that is true for the video to play, in Apple cases 1080p for xs and 720p for r. And this happens when peoples are buying trips to the moon, cars are self driving, etc. So glad I switched to android and have vp9 and hevc265 and a 4k hdr screen.
... but the a12 bionic!
Yeah, right! Nothing more than a renamed CPU flag from arm cortex a76.... Others will follow. Huawei, Samsung, Qualcomm.
... but the performance is 40% more from a72 to a75 and another 40% from a75 to a76.
Yeah, right! In those paid benchmarks like antutu and geekbench. However, in reality the speed difference is by some megahertz more and a little tweak. Not even 10% generation over generation.

Last edited:

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
It all has to do with vp9 or with resolution. Apple is fooling customers that they have near 2k screen, but video playback is downgraded to the lower resolution that îs true for the video to play, in Apple cases 1080p for xs and 720p for r. And this happens when peoples are buying trips to the moon, cars are self driving, etc. So glad I switched to android and have vp9 and hevc265 and a 4k hdr screen.
I think it’s a hardware issue affecting some devices. Possibly a manufacturing defect. Or a bug in OS12. I returned my Xs Max this morning and have to wait a few weeks to buy one again, as Apple is out of stock. But I’m fine waiting. Video playback is everything for me. I don’t watch movies on a TV or laptop.

I think it is too soon to bring it back, my guess is I won’ t get better results on another xs max, seems as if it is in all new iPhone XS (max), it is a hardware issue that needs to be fixed with software on iOS level, or the nexflix app or native video player needs to be updated , that is all.
If it is a hardware issue, you’ ll still be able to replace it.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I think it is too soon to bring it back, my guess is I won’ t get better results on another xs max, seems as if it is in all new iPhone XS (max), it is a hardware issue that needs to be fixed with software on iOS level, or the nexflix app or native video player needs to be updated , that is all.

There seems to be a handful of people experiencing the exact same issue in this thread alone. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a widespread problem. Hopefully that will prompt a fix from Apple soon.

Evomasta

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Just tested on my Xs Max and I see the slow down during 37 to 38 min mark episode 1 scene in lost in space also. I hope it’s just software related issue.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018

This is true. But depending on when/if that happens you might get a refurbished phone. You are only guaranteed a new phone if you buy it new. That might not be an issue for some, but when you pay $1249 US for a phone, you need it to work out of the box.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I have Netflix running "Lost in Space" S01e01 40 min mark, and haven't seen any stuttering on the iPhone XS Max. Any other content people have seen stuttering with that I can check on my phone?

Do you have any HDR downloaded movies from iTunes? The Greatest Showman, The Post, or Blade Runner 2049? I had stuttering on all three.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Do you have any HDR downloaded movies from iTunes? The Greatest Showman, The Post, or Blade Runner 2049? I had stuttering on all three.
I don't have any of those but, I was watching Terminator Judgement Day earlier. I believe that that is HDR as well, and didn't see anything. Just to clarify, the stuttering is very noticeable slowdown, as appearing to lag?

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I don't have any of those but, I was watching Terminator Judgement Day earlier. I believe that that is HDR as well, and didn't see anything. Just to clarify, the stuttering is very noticeable slowdown, as appearing to lag?

The playback is just not smooth, especially when there’s a panoramic shot with a lot of people on the screen. It’s almost choppy. It doesn’t stop playing or have audio out of sync or anything like that but it is very noticeable. One way to describe it is as if it was trying to play at a resolution higher than the phone could handle.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The playback is just not smooth, especially when there’s a panoramic shot with a lot of people on the screen. It’s almost choppy. It doesn’t stop playing or have audio out of sync or anything like that but it is very noticeable. One way to describe it is as if it was trying to play at a resolution higher than the phone could handle.
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen anything like that thus far. I also tested some with Ozark S1E02 or 3, and didn't see anything. Will keep viewing different things to see if I can replicate.

danny2019

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
I am having the same problem. I have an iPhone XS Max. I’m at the Genius Bar now. You guys need to send messages to those YouTube tech guys like dave2d and mkbhd to look at this. I sent dave2d a message.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
Let us know what the Geniuses come up with. Apple Support wanted me to send mine in for service. If they do have replacement models where you are (if you do replace it), let us know if that fixes it.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not surprised if the YouTube app isn't updated for the 1242p display and HDR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.