Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I threw on my iTunes copy of Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which is 4K with Dolby Vision, and thought I might have seen some minor stuttering but I couldn’t tell if it was real or if my brain was looking for it so hard that I thought I saw it.

danny2019

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
I am having the same problem. I have an iPhone XS Max. I’m at the Genius Bar now. You guys need to send messages to those YouTube tech guys like dave2d and mkbhd to look at this. I sent dave2d a message.

The movies I tried was Logan (HDR), Wonder Woman (HDR), and Infinite War (HD).

They are taking my phone so they can run other diagnostics on it and then the findings will be sent to engineering.

I’m getting an exchange but I feel like I’m going to have the same problem. It’s either a hardware problem or needs to be fixed with an iOS update.

I’ll follow up.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don’t think Google cares about not supporting Apple. It has strong Android following.

It's not that. I am just saying that a ton of 3rd party apps won't have the 458ppi or 1242p display configured in their apps in time. It took a bit for even YouTube and Spotify to get iPhone X UIs done in their apps. Some devs are more Apple friendly and will have something done in a timely anticipation for the XS/Max/XR. Others could take their merry time. Though never expect every app to support resolutions when they're formally introduced.

maxime_jean

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
The movies I tried was Logan (HDR), Wonder Woman (HDR), and Infinite War (HD).

They are taking my phone so they can run other diagnostics on it and then the findings will be sent to engineering.

I’m getting an exchange but I feel like I’m going to have the same problem. It’s either a hardware problem or needs to be fixed with an iOS update.

I’ll follow up.
Ok tell us if you have got the same stuttering issue on the new one
Thank you

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Same issue here on XS Max... noticed that HDR is gone from YouTube and noticed stuttering watching Luke cage recap in full screen from Netflix :mad:

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
iPhone XS Max stuttering on full screen for Baby Driver on iTunes and some UHD/HDR content on infuse. Plays fine letterboxed.
[doublepost=1537744489][/doublepost]
iPhone XS Max stuttering on full screen for Baby Driver on iTunes and some UHD/HDR content on infuse. Plays fine letterboxed.

Correction. Same problem even letterboxed. iTunes versions Wonder Woman and John Wick also have the problem.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Can someone post a reference to a movie with the start and stop times that reproduce the stuttering? That way, we can all try the same clip or section. Use A Netflix movie as a reference since most people have access.

Thanks!!

Evomasta

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Can someone post a reference to a movie with the start and stop times that reproduce the stuttering? That way, we can all try the same clip or section. Use A Netflix movie as a reference since most people have access.

Thanks!!
The OP used season 1 episode 1 of lost in space from 38th minute on for reference of stuttering in HDR

Last edited:

Stevejr

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
The OP used season 1 episode 1 of lost in space from 38th minute on for reference of stuttering in HDR
I also lodging a case with apple support now. Hope everyone who got affected report the case to apple too.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Yep. I watched about 5 minutes from this point and it’s really bad. Lots of stuttering. Thanks.

XS Max 64gb Silver.

Sputnik77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I also lodging a case with apple support now. Hope everyone who got affected report the case to apple too.

I opened a case and returned my Xs Max. I would have done an exchange but the Apple Store didn’t have any stock. I will wait and see how Apple resolves this before I buy it again. My 7 Plus plays video just fine. But it’s not HDR.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Interesting. Already 1 capture by Apple in this thread. Will be interesting to see if the big YouTubers respond. This is their forte.. especially MKBHD. They might not..

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Is the stuttering painfully obvious? Playing around with lost in space ep 1 on Netflix and I’m not noticing anything. I’m on a max.
It was for me. Starting at 38 minutes on episode one. Will is hiking in the woods and it stuttered like crazy.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I tried again this morning, and the stuttering seemed to be gone???? Tried The ozark, Luke cage, first episode of lost in space, and can’ t reproduce it. Now I noticed in Speedtest that I got higher download speeds than yesterday and the day before, but in the Netherlands it is quite early, so there is more bandwidth from my provider. Went to the slower 2.4Ghz band from the 5ghz, but still no more issues . So I guess it is not a bandwidth problem.
Perhaps this xs models take longer to do indexing after a new install, and finished background tasks, or something like that.

Very strange, will try again in 8 hours, but looks promising.

tachillon

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
Lille, France
iPhone Xs Max here, just tried it with s01E01 of Lost in Space at the 38 minutes mark, notice no problem... No stuttering, video is smooth...

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I haven’t read the whole thread so sorry if this has been covered.

For some unknown reason YT App will not allow HDR video on iPhone 8, 8 Plus, XS Max and iPad Pro’s. Despite all having screens capable of playing it.

https://wccftech.com/google-silentl...os-app-with-hdr-playback-support-on-iphone-x/

It is an Google/YT App fault not a phone fault and is to do with the resolution. Hence the XS having the same resolution as the X can play HDR content.

Hopefully Google will update the app soon to allow HDR on the devices that can but won’t currently display it.

As for Netflix etc stuttering I’ve not had any issues on my X or iPad Pro so can’t comment on that.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I tried again this morning, and the stuttering seemed to be gone???? Tried The ozark, Luke cage, first episode of lost in space, and can’ t reproduce it. Now I noticed in Speedtest that I got higher download speeds than yesterday and the day before, but in the Netherlands it is quite early, so there is more bandwidth from my provider. Went to the slower 2.4Ghz band from the 5ghz, but still no more issues . So I guess it is not a bandwidth problem.
Perhaps this xs models take longer to do indexing after a new install, and finished background tasks, or something like that.

Very strange, will try again in 8 hours, but looks promising.

Is it a heat issue? try running fortnight or something and once the phone gets warm go watch a video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.