Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Let's hope that today's news story give us a recruiting push. ... You are welcome to pat yourselves on the back and help the recruiting effort by posting in the news thread.

Thanks Doctor Q; I'm sure it will help to get some new members and work on the second billion.

That's awesome Doctor!

I know the group of die-hards will truly appreciate the attention :)

Yes, we appreciate for sure ... :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I intend to. I turn it off when rendering and when playing heavier games. Once in a while I put the computer to sleep overnight since I feel it deserves a rest... :p

Although once I get my electric bill maybe my tone will change. :eek:

Your new avatar is scary. :eek:
get us back the cute panda !

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I intend to. I turn it off when rendering and when playing heavier games. Once in a while I put the computer to sleep overnight since I feel it deserves a rest... :p

Although once I get my electric bill maybe my tone will change. :eek:
Yeah I'll flip too once I see my power bill :D It will probably be the same as running the AC all summer long lol. If not more ;)

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Yeah I haven't finished off my man cave yet but I might just stick it down in the basement anyways and duct the Mac Pro into my return air. Heat my entire house more efficiently! :D

Yeah! Switch off the A/C, switch on the Folding rigs and GPUs… you'll never see any difference in the power bill :D

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Yeah I haven't finished off my man cave yet but I might just stick it down in the basement anyways and duct the Mac Pro into my return air. Heat my entire house more efficiently! :D

I have a small office with my main systems I use for editing / creative content. With that, I have been able to reduce heating bills most winters by keeping the thermostat temp in the low 60s for the house, and only keeping the office warm (usually with a small electric heater). Since I have a Futon and some other light furniture in this room, I usually stop watching movies and TV in other rooms, and lock myself into this one for the winter months.

Keeping the door closed with normal lights and monitors on, kept the room near 78 degrees back in my G5 folding days! I actually have fond memories of the old folding days, as It was actually a winter from which I spent quite a bit less on power and natural gas.

Your new avatar is scary. :eek:
get us back the cute panda !

Avatar? She looks quite friendly!

ekiro

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
I'm about to deploy my new gaming rig. Will dedicate it to folding whenever AFK.

Here is a pic of the parts I'm about to put together. Waiting for the case to get here tomorrow. Last piece of the puzzle. :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'm about to deploy my new gaming rig. Will dedicate it to folding whenever AFK.

Here is a pic of the parts I'm about to put together. Waiting for the case to get here tomorrow. Last piece of the puzzle. :)

Have you set your team to 3446 yet? Last I saw your profile it was still set to team 0 which is the default. If you set it to 3446 any new WU's you do will go to the MR team. Old ones will not.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

I couldn't see the pic… am curious tho' :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
very true -- thanks Christian!

can someone with "the power" move the last few messages to the other thread?

You'd have to use the bat signal (the report button). Otherwise they won't unless they randomly stumble in here.

To be honest I'd rather just see a new thread when new F@H news arises. It's not like this subforum is that busy anyway.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Keeping the door closed with normal lights and monitors on, kept the room near 78 degrees back in my G5 folding days! I actually have fond memories of the old folding days, as It was actually a winter from which I spent quite a bit less on power and natural gas.

Hey, I remember the days of having a G5 by my feet roasting the hair off my legs :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm looking forward to my first folding-winter. Will be interesting to feel the positive side effect of folding and no bad feelings to open the window while the "heater" is running. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.