Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleLuvver

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
U.S.
Similar experience here yesterday at the other end of the UK. No real wait. Got Pfizer in my case. Felt a little different afterwards from the AZ's I had previously. Actually had quite a sore arm yesterday and this morning started to get that grotty feeling like I'm coming down with something but it's fading tonight. (Interestingly my rhr on my watch has been up all day from what I'd normally expect.)
Did the increased rhr go away quickly for you? Same timing as your other side effects? Been putting off my booster since I also experienced the increased heart rate for 12 hrs straight after my 2nd Pfizer and I hadn’t heard of anyone else having this side effect. It was up for me to around 80-85 (normally 65-70ish), jumping up to over 100 just walking across the room. I also had a bad headache which went away when my rhr returned to normal.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Did the increased rhr go away quickly for you? Same timing as your other side effects? Been putting off my booster since I also experienced the increased heart rate for 12 hrs straight after my 2nd Pfizer and I hadn’t heard of anyone else having this side effect. It was up for me to around 80-85 (normally 65-70ish), jumping up to over 100 just walking across the room. I also had a bad headache which went away when my rhr returned to normal.
Hi, yes my rhr pretty much followed my other side effects. (It went up around 10-15 bpm) I'm no medical bod so take what I say with a pinch of salt but I was actually reassured by the effects, in that it felt that my immune system was ramping up quickly to deal with an infection. I only noticed the rhr thing as I specifically looked for it and I suspect it happens to most people, they just don't know about it. Also, I'd have thought that a hr that's responsive (goes up and then comes down quickly) if you suddenly move about is a good thing.

It did take a couple of days for everything to get back to normal (jabbed early Sat, bit weird Sat pm then rough on Sunday) - but I was happily exercising first thing Monday.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
My wife and granddaughter recently got a booster and second shot, respectively. Just a little arm soreness for both was all the side effects, which is great. Now we wait to find out if the vaccines are as effective against Omicron as for previous strains.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I've had two AZ and Pfizer booster (I live in the UK). I didn't feel the first one at all; the second AZ caused a little soreness, and for about a day when I just wanted to rest; and the Pfizer booster simply made my arm sore for a couple of days.

It was interesting what you said about the resting heart rate. I think that is natural when the immune system is ramping up. I haven't noticed any spikes in heart rate from vaccinations, but whenever I got a (pre-COVID) fever, my resting heart rate would climb about a day before symptoms peaked. During one miserable flu I was lying motionless on the sofa with a fever, chills, and no energy when my Fitbit congratulated me on my cardio workout. Apparently, we are not the only ones to notice this: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...oure-getting-a-cold-days-before-you-feel-ill/

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleLuvver

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Son had third Pfizer yesterday and is reporting fatigue and chills. Suspects a fever but doesn't know. His concern was that he wouldn't be able to run today. He had progressively more symptoms from the three shots while I had progressively fewer.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Got my Moderna booster a couple weeks ago – they are plentiful near me, for better and worse – and I had a splitting headache for about 12 hours the day after getting the shot, but that was it. Not even any arm soreness.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I should mention I got my booster some time ago now. My first two doses were Pfizer. I opted for Moderna for the booster to presumably widen the spectrum immunity. It’s also what my hospital had available on the given day.

The first two shots I had some injection site soreness and felt exhausted afterwards. With Moderna I had some mild injection site soreness and that was it.

It’s amazing how slow the the pickup was with boosters until recently. Now everyone is scrambling to get an appointment and can’t get one. Poor timing with the holidays and omicron…

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
scheduled my booster. The second Pfizer knocked me out for a good day and a half. I plan on taking the next day off in case.

For those that get booster are we getting a 4th after the big three rework the formula for this new variant? How long until we get a fourth? Pfizer thinks about 100 days for a new improved shot is available last I read.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I should mention I got my booster some time ago now. My first two doses were Pfizer. I opted for Moderna for the booster to presumably widen the spectrum immunity. It’s also what my hospital had available on the given day.

The first two shots I had some injection site soreness and felt exhausted afterwards. With Moderna I had some mild injection site soreness and that was it.

It’s amazing how slow the the pickup was with boosters until recently. Now everyone is scrambling to get an appointment and can’t get one. Poor timing with the holidays and omicron…

My experience as well. I was able to get in before the floodgates opened.

I just had some tiredness after the first Pfizer though. The second Pfizer was just a sore arm as was the Moderna. My son sent me a list of the best qualities of the boosters. I was surprised that the J&J had the best long-term T-Cell protection. It's possible that the best combination would have been one of each - though this was never really an option.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Got the booster 2 weeks ago (Pfizer).
Felt ok for the most part. SLIGHT ache in the arm which started about 10 hours after the shot...minor body aches. Just lasted a day & 1/2

Nothing like after my 2nd shot. I felt pretty lousy for 3-4 days back in April.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
scheduled my booster. The second Pfizer knocked me out for a good day and a half. I plan on taking the next day off in case.

For those that get booster are we getting a 4th after the big three rework the formula for this new variant? How long until we get a fourth? Pfizer thinks about 100 days for a new improved shot is available last I read.
Ugh, time will tell I guess.
For those who just got the booster, like myself...yeah I was already thinking I would not be shocked if we have to get another booster in 6 months?

But with this more contagious Omicron (looks like it may not be as severe, deadly as Delta...maybe??)..100 days for an "upgrade."

Ok..so around mid-late March, early April?

*I almost feel these shots are like iPhone updates. ?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
BOOSTER: Pfizer 3 weeks ago (had Pfizer for original 2-shot in March).

Sore arm for 2 days; felt slightly queasy beginning overnight, into noon the next day. After work, I felt drained of energy and vegged the rest of the night.

Bounced back fine thereafter; a small price to pay for saving lives!

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Had my second Pfizer dose back in March. Just got a Moderna booster yesterday.

Pfizer had me feeling kinda crappy for a day or two. And then I got COVID in August. So far, nothing horrible from the Moderna booster; just a light headache this morning and some arm soreness. Part of me hopes it might help kick my tastebuds back into gear, cuz I still can't really taste much of anything.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Had my second Pfizer dose back in March. Just got a Moderna booster yesterday.

Pfizer had me feeling kinda crappy for a day or two. And then I got COVID in August. So far, nothing horrible from the Moderna booster; just a light headache this morning and some arm soreness. Part of me hopes it might help kick my tastebuds back into gear, cuz I still can't really taste much of anything.

I was P/P/M as well. I had chills and fatigue from #1. And nothing but sore arm for #2, #3.

I watched a video of deaths over time by status (Pfizer, JnJ, Moderna, Fully, unvaccinated) and Moderna had the lowest rate though the difference with Pfizer and JnJ wasn't that big. Son had some chest tightness and fatigue after the third Pfizer. Daughter was just tired for a day. A lot of people are getting boosters in my state but we really need the unvaccinated to step up to stop the mess in our hospitals.

Reactions: motulist and DJLC

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I found cool Doctor video talking about the O virus from South Africa! It brings me to thing if you have two shots then the O virus is no worse than a mild case of the common flu!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
AZ first shots earlier in the year (fell rough as ten bears after the first), Moderna as the booster yesterday, sore arm and rough night but not much else. Lot better than my first AZ.

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
First 2 shots were Pfizer and had for both no side effects at all. 3rd was Moderna and just for a couple hours felt my shoulder a bit, but nothing else.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I base my decisions on millions of data points, not two.
If you look at USA or EU VAERS systems. which have many injuries and deaths... the data is there, from many millions, with millions of adverse events, from injuries, long term health issues and death.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
If you look at USA or EU VAERS systems. which have many injuries and deaths... the data is there, from many millions, with millions of adverse events, from injuries, long term health issues and death.
The adverse reaction database shows no significantly greater issues with the COVID mRNA vaccines than with vaccines for other diseases. They are well tested now and have proven very safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.