Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The side effects were similar to previous COVID + flu injections. Both arms felt sore within a few hours, with the COVID arm more pronounced. The next day, the COVID arm felt very sore, but not so bad that I needed to take painkillers or limit my activities. I think both vaccinations led to a general tired feeling as well.
That's interesting. I had the same side effects as before, but it was headache and nausea.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I scheduled my Flu + new COVID vaccine on Friday for Friday evening at my local Walgreens. I got them both (one in each arm). Other than being a bit sore and tired the next day, I was good. No side effects other than those.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I still get pain from my last Covid booster - almost two years ago. It was almost entirely painless at the time and for a few weeks after. But has actually slowly got worse - not better. Don't get me wrong, this isn't severe and unbearable pain. Just keeps coming back and is annoying.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
I still get pain from my last Covid booster - almost two years ago. It was almost entirely painless at the time and for a few weeks after. But has actually slowly got worse - not better. Don't get me wrong, this isn't severe and unbearable pain. Just keeps coming back and is annoying.

I started Ozempic around the same time I got my J&J shot, so unsure which was the issue (with respect to some odd side effects, such as sensitivity on the 'vaccine arm.')

I CAN tell you that my one J&J shot hurt one hell of a lot more than any other vaccine I've ever gotten. It was like someone donkey punched the @$#@$ out of my left arm, and persisted for several days.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I CAN tell you that my one J&J shot hurt one hell of a lot more than any other vaccine I've ever gotten. It was like someone donkey punched the @$#@$ out of my left arm, and persisted for several days.
I always found that my every 10 year tetanus/DTaP vaccination gave me more severe pain at the injection location in my arm than any other vaccine. I had other mild reactions from the vaccines, but as far as pain in the arm goes, the tetanus vaccine is the clear winner/loser in my case.

macsixtyforty

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2023
United Kingdom
Loads of people in my family took 3, 4, 5 vaccines. It made no difference because several of them fell ill and some had aches and pains. My mum isn't exactly 100% she been suffering from a swelled up hand, doc was saying she lacks vitamin b12. She had injections and nothing happened really, there was no drastic change. The doc just said wait a few more months, otherwise come in for a check up.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
I always found that my every 10 year tetanus/DTaP vaccination gave me more severe pain at the injection location in my arm than any other vaccine. I had other mild reactions from the vaccines, but as far as pain in the arm goes, the tetanus vaccine is the clear winner/loser in my case.

That's the thing, though. In May 2020 I actually needed a tetanus shot (screw through my hand - 'twas not fun lol). The tetanus shot was a cakewalk compared to the J&J shot. I was expecting all sorts of pain and all that based on decades of being warned about how bad it was....and it was (ast least for me) marginally more painful than the flu shot I just got yesterday.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee and VulchR

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Got my flu+COVID combo on Friday, only side effect was the general soreness I get when I get the regular flu shot.

The previous COVID shots I received have been Janssen, and at worst, I had mild cold symptoms for a day, then I'm back to 100% the next day.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Got New pneumonia vaccine, flu, and RSV shot, 2 in one arm, 1 in other, next day arms significantly sore. I felt a little off later that day. Oh, no Covid shot, that will be in a week or two.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Every other COVID shot I've had has knocked my on my butt
I caught covid earlier this year - the symptoms were so minor it wasn't bad at all. My last covid booster (sometime in 2021) made me so sick, it was horrible. I will actively avoid the vaccine at this point since my last experience was hell of a lot worse then the actual disease

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I caught covid earlier this year - the symptoms were so minor it wasn't bad at all. My last covid booster (sometime in 2021) made me so sick, it was horrible. I will actively avoid the vaccine at this point since my last experience was hell of a lot worse then the actual disease

It might be different this time. It was for me. I did also have COVID, and also had something else that was COVID like but not (nor Flu) within the last year. The flu + new COVID vax did have far less side effects than the last COVID booster I got last year.

But it is different for everyone.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I'm probably due for a fifth shot soon, it's been almost a year since I got my fourth. My fourth one had no side-effects.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Moderation Reminder

Please limit posts in this thread to COVID vaccine experiences.
Anything else should go in the following thread.

A number of posts were moved because they discussed more than just one's vaccine experience.

Per the first post in this thread:
Try to limit your responses to feedback from yourself or your partner.

Last edited:

TohMac

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Somewhere in the Universe
I am in my early 60s so I have had 4-5 by now. I think it was 5? Will get the new one as soon as it is available. Now I personally did not have any side effects with my shots.
I did however have a mild heart attack after my 3rd. I say mild because I didn't realize I was having one at the time. In hindsight I was ill and should have gone to ER but figured whatever I had would pass. Long story short I went to my doctor 2 weeks later, mentioning it and was sent to be tested. I was told later that day I had had one and to go to ER. I was given a stent and today I am fine. My heart function is excellent despite it. But, when I was on the operating table I did ask the cardiologist if this could be vaccine related. He said he honestly did not know the answer to that, the vaccine was too new and without long term proper studies.

That wasn't very comforting. I am an ex-smoker that gave up smoking in 2014 so I tend to believe that was likely the cause. I asked the cardiologist a year later and he gave me the same response as he had earlier.

I have had one vaccine since, again without any issue.
My husband however did have slight headaches with his. 48 hours after his 4th shot he tested positive. We believe he also had it in early 2020 just weeks before we all learned of it and at that time he was very ill. Not ill enough however to warrant a hospital visit. Just miserable at home for about a week.
But when he picked it up after his 4th shot it was a rather mild flu. Very mild by comparison.

I myself will get the new one but I don't have any issues with those who decided, for any reason whatsoever that they did not wish to get any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: polyphenol

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’ve had 4 of the injections, the last was an error by my GP as I was put forward despite not being vulnerable. I did contact them to pull me off the list but they said I might as well have it, so I did.

On my first booster I had issues after the nurse that injected me hit a tendon in the top of my arm. 6 days afterwards I woke up with a lot of pain and significant loss of mobility and strength. I had to have 3 months of physio to get my arm back to normal which was very inconvenient. No adverse reactions to the actual vaccine though for me thankfully.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Got the new COVID (Moderna) vaccine two days ago. Yesterday I was down with a fever all day. This morning I’m fine. This is my 5th shot and my reaction is the same every time.

I had COVID a year ago, had a fever for days and coughing for weeks. I’ll take the shot any day.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I caught covid earlier this year - the symptoms were so minor it wasn't bad at all. My last covid booster (sometime in 2021) made me so sick, it was horrible. ...
Actually, it sounds like your 2021 booster worked. While is made you sick, if left your system with the ability to fend off your subsequent COVID infection. It sounds more like proof that you should continue with new vaccines/boosters.

Reactions: Gregg2

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I got the newest COVID vaccine yesterday afternoon. By evening, I felt "super blah" and my shoulder felt like I was hit with a baseball bat. This morning I feel fine except the shoulder still hurts. If this follows the pattern of my previous COVID shots, the shoulder pain will fade, but take 2-3 days to do so. BTW, I'm 72.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.