Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I use N95 masks (Before anyone says ‘You can’t have those’...Yes, I’m a professional that has access to these masks), which has a much stronger filtration compared to what you’re seeing for the majority of people wearing a cloth mask.
Were people suggesting others couldn’t have N95 masks because these are reserved for the medical industry? I have around 100 of these masks in my garage and I was given mine a couple of years back. I used to visit sites with a lot of dust in the atmosphere so I had to have mine. I haven’t worn a mask yet during this pandemic but I haven’t been mixing in public spaces since March. I think if people keep their distance as advised them masks should only really be needed on public transport and places where you can’t maintain this 2 metre advisory distance.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Were people suggesting others couldn’t have N95 masks because these are reserved for the medical industry?

Correct, keyword suggesting.(But Nothing is mandated to where a ‘non-medical’ professional couldn’t own/use an N95, which more than ever, is typically reserved for medical professionals, especially given the shortage.

Originally, The media/local outlets was requesting that if you are a non-medicalprofessional, the N95 mask should be donated given those individuals are at a higher risk given exposure of who they come in contact with v.s. those who may not need those masks for a simple supply outing.

The reason I put a disclaimer In my post that I’m a professional with an N95 mask, is if I didn’t say that, you probably Would have somebody in this thread that would say ‘you can’t have that, you should give/donate that mask to XYZ medical/law professional.‘

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Correct, keyword suggesting.(But Nothing is mandated to where a ‘non-medical’ professional couldn’t own/use an N95, which more than ever, is typically reserved for medical professionals, especially given the shortage.

Originally, The media/local outlets was requesting that if you are a non-medicalprofessional, the N95 mask should be donated given those individuals are at a higher risk given exposure of who they come in contact with v.s. those who may not need those masks for a simple supply outing.

The reason I put a disclaimer In my post that I’m a professional with an N95 mask, is if I didn’t say that, you probably Would have somebody in this thread that would say ‘you can’t have that, you should give/donate that mask to XYZ medical/law professional.‘

I hadn’t heard that but that’s good to know. I’ve known a few companies who import raw materials and parts from from China, and the suppliers out there have been filling voids in shipments with N95 masks. They were doing this as a gesture as it’s obviously been reported in the Far East that the west has a shortage. It’s a nice touch I think as they are clearly more available in China where I’d imagine a lot are manufactured. As these masks are single use, I will hold on to mine in case myself and my family need them further down the line.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hadn’t heard that but that’s good to know. I’ve known a few companies who import raw materials and parts from from China, and the suppliers out there have been filling voids in shipments with N95 masks. They were doing this as a gesture as it’s obviously been reported in the Far East that the west has a shortage. It’s a nice touch I think as they are clearly more available in China where I’d imagine a lot are manufactured. As these masks are single use, I will hold on to mine in case myself and my family need them further down the line.

Yeah, definitely keep your masks, you never know when you might need them if the situation turns differently in the future And/or if they ever become mandated throughout various Infrastructures. The other problem on the market, there’s a lot of counterfeit N95 masks circulating for those who try to make a profit. So it might be more difficult to distinguish between a real N95 versus a fake N95.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
What I don't understand with the people who do wear a mask. When they don't bother to use it right. I've seen many leaving their nose uncovered. Even worse people grabbing their mask and tugging it on and off after handling stuff.

Leaving the nose uncovered makes the mask pretty useless. Tugging it on/off increases the chance of spreading or catching something. As you are contaminating the mask with your hands or contaminating your hands with the mask.

Would you feel violated if a Pharmacist took your temprature without your permission?

I felt that way last week as i was entering the store. A young girl came from nowhere and surprised me with that thing on my forehead.

I let her finish then made a complaint to the manager of the way she acted. It was like ambush.
[automerge]1590766952[/automerge]
An old lady behind me was stopped and they won't let her in as body temprature was bit high.

I'd be more concerned about whether or not they were properly sterilizing the thermometer between each person entering.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What I don't understand with the people who do wear a mask. When they don't bother to use it right. I've seen many leaving their nose uncovered. Even worse people grabbing their mask and tugging it on and off after handling stuff.

Leaving the nose uncovered makes the mask pretty useless. Tugging it on/off increases the chance of spreading or catching something. As you are contaminating the mask with your hands or contaminating your hands with the mask.

I'd be more concerned about whether or not they were properly sterilizing the thermometer between each person entering.

This is quite interesting to me. The sad part is the percentage is very high. Of all the people I see with a mask, 30-40% have their nose completely uncovered. Then, when they're talking to people (or on the phone) they pull it down completely.

Lately I've noticed a LOT less people wearing masks here in my neck of the woods in California.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This is quite interesting to me. The sad part is the percentage is very high. Of all the people I see with a mask, 30-40% have their nose completely uncovered. Then, when they're talking to people (or on the phone) they pull it down completely.

Lately I've noticed a LOT less people wearing masks here in my neck of the woods in California.

I haven't noticed much decline here. If anything I'd say more people wear masks. At least more so than in the beginning. I've been wearing one every time I go out since about the first week states started to lock down. Which is before my state officially locked down. Although many were already treating it as though we were locked down.

It's also amazing when people are concerned enough to wear a mask that they'd handle their phone while in the store. That just means they could be contaminating their phone. Thus their pocket when they put it away. If they can't abide a ringing and beeping phone. Put it on do not disturb.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
113,000+ dead Americans as of yesterday, and that number is just going to keep skyrocketing. It's really quite pitiful that people are so ignorant that they won't even wear masks inside grocery stores. I went to one yesterday, asked a guy why he wasn't wearing a mask, and he just laughed at me. I'm wearing one not for my protection, but on the off chance I'm asymptomatic, but lots of people are just forgoing that, so I feel pretty disrespected. I'm not wearing some nice filtered mask that'll protect me because it's still a scalpers game right now, so this really is genuinely disappointing to me.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I'm taking this very seriously! I'm not wearing a mask that weakens my immune system and causes me to breathe CO2. I'm going outside and getting plenty of sunlight. I'm staying active and keeping up my daily routine. This not only keeps up my physical health but mental health as well.

Reactions: b0fh666

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I don't understand the people who complain like they have to wear a mask 24/7 and stay in their bedroom with the lights out having someone pass bread an water in quick three times a day. You can go outside in the sun which is actually better. Either go where you know you won't encounter others or have a mask just in case, and definitely wear one inside public places.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: vidjahgamz

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@velocityg4

Outstanding points.

I totally agree with your mask comment about how they’re not being properly worn when they are either A.) Pulled below the nose or even worse, B.) The strings are actually are worn around the ears, but the mask itself is tucked under their chin where they’re not Covering the mouth or nose.

If you can’t take the simple concept of wearing a mask appropriately, then you’re obviously too lazy to even understand what the purpose of the mask is in the first place. It’s not even about educating someone how to wear a mask, They know how, they simply don’t care.

I’ve been to a few businesses/establishments where employees are intentionally not wearing the mask appropriately, if I was there employer and where it was a requirement to wear a mask appropriately, I would fire them immediately. And that would make them think twice about the seriousness of why the mask exist for pivotal reasons, and they probably would appreciate their job a lot more in a down economy. That might sound Insensitive, but it’s a serious matter that takes everybody’s participation to have safety measures in place.

Oh, and I agree, if I’m in a store, I also don’t touch my personal belongings, [like my key fob/phone], so I don’t cross-contaminate. Some of these measures sound a bit tedious, but it all adds up to making a bigger impact in the long run.

@BigMcGuire

In My Community, mask wearing is extremely down from where it was in March/April. I suspect it’s based on the following: ‘Too much mental fatigue for others to keep on wearing the mask, remembering to bring it, the weather is nice, I don’t need it during the summer type attitude, etc.‘

Last edited:

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
I have only been in our local garden centre since it opened up. No other shops or other buildings out-with my home.
Even the garden centre was uncomfortable despite having large outdoor areas. My wife is doing all the grocery shopping and other shop visits.

I expect to go camping with our campervan starting July and have a Caribbean holiday booked since last year in late August. The island has no Covid so if they let up leave the UK and let us in to Aruba we will have a summer sun holiday. I don't care if I have to quarantine for two weeks afterwards.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I'm going outside and getting plenty of sunlight.

I'm doing likewise and taking a Vit D supplement. (Mind you I've been doing that on and off for a while for reasons I'll mention below). Vit D seems to be one of those supplements that when you ask about them in pharmacy the pharmacist - particularly if they're older tends to pick up a tub and say - "these are good, they're the ones I use...". I always think that's telling.

I think this whole sunshine/vitamin thing* is intriguing as we have a family history of B12 deficiencies - I seem to have escaped it, but both my brother and father have / did have quite serious ones. (It eventually did my father in, albeit indirectly). The interesting thing is that my father was obsessive about sunbathing in a weird sort of way. He would sunbathe for short'ish bursts particularly when working. It would be 15 mins in a deck chair then an hour digging the garden or DIY - then rinse and repeat all day... (He'd do it even when the temperature wasn't that high and everyone else was in long sleeves. My Mother used to squirm with embarrassment as if anyone visited they'd often find him in tiny shorts in his deck chair, no matter what the weather.) My brother does an almost identical thing. I've had some chats with him about it and he says the being in the sun even in short bursts literally feels like a quick battery recharge. With the issues my father eventually developed I've often wondered about the health relationship between Vit D, B12 and our immune systems. While I appreciate that all that I have said is very anecdotal and subjective but I still think the current discussions about Vit D are intriguing and I wonder if it would also be worth looking at B12 in older people/care homes etc?

* Yep, I know it's actually a hormone but Vit D3 is what you take...

Reactions: russell_314

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I’ve been to a few businesses/establishments where employees are intentionally not wearing the mask appropriately, if I was there employer and where it was a requirement to wear a mask appropriately, I would fire them immediately. And that would make them think twice about the seriousness of why the mask exist for pivotal reasons, and they probably would appreciate their job a lot more in a down economy. That might sound Insensitive, but it’s a serious matter that takes everybody’s participation to have safety measures in place.

Looks like in the USA, increasing numbers of us still don't get it even as we try to re-open our economy more fully.

USA picking freedom over viability?.jpg

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Yesterday I did something I never do. I went to Walmart. If I don't have Covid-19 now, I will never get it.

If you went to WalMart then, TBH, Covid's probably the least of your concerns...

o_O:p
[automerge]1593014167[/automerge]
Looks like in the USA, increasing numbers of us still don't get it even as we try to re-open our economy more fully.

This is hardly surprising given that way too many people believe that either Covid was all one big con, or that it's pretty much over.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Everything is rapidly going back to normal here. BestBuy was overloaded with people entering the store. Vons, Costco, other stores are not enforcing their mask policies at all. My work is saying we return to normal July 1st. (California - 50 miles from downtown Los Angeles).

Even though the Governor has required masks, I see mask wearing below 30% when I'm out and about. (I get laughed at for wearing a mask).

I guess the virus is over! (heavy sarcasm intended).

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Everything is rapidly going back to normal here. BestBuy was overloaded with people entering the store. Vons, Costco, other stores are not enforcing their mask policies at all. My work is saying we return to normal July 1st. (California - 50 miles from downtown Los Angeles).

Even though the Governor has required masks, I see mask wearing below 30% when I'm out and about. (I get laughed at for wearing a mask).

Just keep it in the back of your mind that *you* are the competent one. Screw what anybody else thinks.

It is absolutely mind boggling how people think this pandemic is suddenly over. That's not how it works. At all. Then again that is the average mentality of an American: they get tired of dealing with something and just move on with their life regardless of how dangerous that decision is. The longer this presidency and pandemic go on the more I want to pack up and move to a wonderful place like New Zealand; they at least take pandemics seriously. :)

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States

Here in PA restaurants and bars with outdoor seating were allowed to open back up (only the outside portion of course). The bar across the street from my house put up some tents outside and every night there's just a ton of people all crammed together under it (wearing no masks by the way). I get it, I'd love to go sit down at a restaurant again too but I just don't get how people can't take their health and the health of the people around them seriously.

vidjahgamz

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Here in PA restaurants and bars with outdoor seating were allowed to open back up (only the outside portion of course). The bar across the street from my house put up some tents outside and every night there's just a ton of people all crammed together under it (wearing no masks by the way). I get it, I'd love to go sit down at a restaurant again too but I just don't get how people can't take their health and the health of the people around them seriously.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I just don't get how people can be this inept, reckless, and careless.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
People have to remember that states opening up just means there is room for you in the ICU if needed.

SARS-CoV-2 is still out there and just as contagious and deadly as it was 3 months ago.

I wouldn't want to end up in the ICU on a respirator. The pain of being on a respirator is borderline torture but for the life-saving purpose. It sucks a lot. People need to be reminded of that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I was actually considering back in the end of May to take a vacation down in Fort Myers Beach at my timeshare, [which I was originally slated to do so in July, but then canceled given the pandemic back in March]. But seeing how the rebound is on the decline and some of the southern states are absolutely dumpster fires right now, it’s just not worth it. 2020 is the year of the stay-cation for me.

Anyways, our county just released an interesting new Research study, and 30% of ‘young adults‘ (18-22) voluntarily choose not to wear a mask and don’t care about the ramifications of C/19. And guess where the highest spike of cases in my state is right now? Yup, you guessed it.

Here’s the thing, if someone doesn’t want to mask, I respect that. But at least take into account of social distancing and how it does have a major impact on community spread. That’s where the major fault lies with such a young demographic. I’m only 34, but I try to treat the situation as it was back in the beginning of March, and as much as people want to see ‘normal‘ restored, that simply doesn’t exist anymore. There has to be what we know as the new normal of moving forward. For some, they grasp that concept, for others, they are the problem and they put themselves in a situation that they don’t take in the account of the ramifications, and if something unfortunate comes out of that situation to those person(s), then so be it.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
... at least take into account of social distancing and how it does have a major impact on community spread.

Yeah someone who shrugs off social distancing and figures a spike in the local infection rate is not their problem (because they're healthy and so is everyone in their peer group, for instance) is missing a big piece of the puzzle: they forget about prospects for places of business that re-opened having to close up again and inconvenience everyone including themselves.

Carelessness about masks and disregarding social distancing recommendations do affect people's "renormalized" way of life, no matter whether people are particularly vulnerable to the virus themselves. It's a community thing and a community reality, regardless if one has any affection for the very idea of community or any sense of responsibility to a community.

Do we like having the local pubs, restaurants / diners and barbershops re-opening? Yes? Help keep them open by respecting the damn virus. It's still here until it dead-ends trying to find a handy new human host, which probably means until there's a vaccine. On best info at the moment, that's going to be early next year. So it's way too early to start figuring it's ok to leave those annoying masks home.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah someone who shrugs off social distancing and figures a spike in the local infection rate is not their problem (because they're healthy and so is everyone in their peer group, for instance) is missing a big piece of the puzzle: they forget about prospects for places of business that re-opened having to close up again and inconvenience everyone including themselves.

Carelessness about masks and disregarding social distancing recommendations do affect people's "renormalized" way of life, no matter whether people are particularly vulnerable to the virus themselves. It's a community thing and a community reality, regardless if one has any affection for the very idea of community or any sense of responsibility to a community.

Do we like having the local pubs, restaurants / diners and barbershops re-opening? Yes? Help keep them open by respecting the damn virus. It's still here until it dead-ends trying to find a handy new human host, which probably means until there's a vaccine. On best info at the moment, that's going to be early next year. So it's way too early to start figuring it's ok to leave those annoying masks home.

I also think there’s a thing called moderation in terms of exercising ‘sound minded‘ judgment. For example, last week myself and my fellow investor went outside to a sports bar, but we requested to sit outside, we were seated nowhere near anyone, used plastic silverware, there were no menus to touch, (actually available right on your phone), drank out of plastic cups and paid through contactless payment, server was wearing a mask. My point is, I think you can still try to enjoy life, but do it tactfully where you don’t have to be part of the ‘norm‘ of the crowding with face-to-face contact.

I understand there has been a sense of normalcy somehow moving forward, [Because we know C/19 is not leaving, which it will probably mutate to a different strain eventually.] But if you want to make a presence in public, then use sound judgment, take what you’ve learned and apply it to how you go about your daily activities. Is it easy and convenient to live this ‘new‘ lifestyle? Absolutely not, But it’s like anything, you adapt and overcome. You’re either part of the solution or the problem itself. The choice You make impacts everyone around you. My understanding of this whole situation is, be the change that you want to see to set the example to those around you.

Reactions: 0128672

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Today my state of Alabama moved itself up to #2 with a good chance of catching Arizona and taking the top spot by Monday in new cases per 1000 people. Our mayor warned us last weekend to social distance and wear masks because if the cases kept increasing the city was going to order masks in public for everyone. I expect that order to come down Friday or Monday. We are at 45 restaurants closed for 14 days due to an employee testing positive for Covid-19 since the reopening on April 30. I went to work instead of working from home for the first time in 75 days Monday and Tuesday to help the people program some boxes we are trying to get out by End of Quarter (ie June 30th). Honestly sitting in my office with a mask on for 4 hours till lunch and 5 hours in the afternoon is just tiring. We can have the masks off if we close the door, but then I might as well be home. Every day they are busting restaurants for not wearing masks and for trying to fit in extra people, and our numbers keep going up especially in the hospitals, with only Huntsville Hospitals having any kind of capacity to handle a surge as most of the rest are down to the last couple of beds. Just so many people are trying for everything to be back to normal instead of just trying to be a little safer and it greatly shows. Hope you all stay safe.
-Tig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.