Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The level cap goes up in Phantom Liberty, but I hadn't reached it by the time I finished the game anyway.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I updated. I’m going to play through Phantom Liberty with my existing character, then start a fresh one and eventually play through the game a different way. When I first launched everything was oddly rendered, as if a massive film grain effect was applied, but that went away after a few minutes.
"OK, something happened to me. I don't know if I can play Starfield any longer, there is just something that is grating at me about the story. I was currently working on the Crimson Fleet quests and I'm just not feeling this game any longer." That Said...

= Spoiler Territory =
I eagerly turned to Cyberpunk 2077 DLC, Phantom Liberty and discovered that this is a quest chain located within the main story, and I wanted to know how it changed the base story and HOLY CRAP, I might just be pissed off because I like the (imo) "best ending", with V heading off with the Aldecados to start a new life. I'm not happy that the Devs instead of extending the original story out, decided to screw with the base story. This is kind of ****ed up. :mad:

Everyone seems to be saying, "play though to the end and then go back and do Phantom Liberty."

So my impression is that if you pick the "new ending" included with the DLC you throughly destroy the best ending and what I want to do is to play the DLC and preserve the best ending. I assume this is possible, ie avoid the "Tower Ending"?
Thanks! :D

😙
The operation was a success, but it's not all well. You're alive, sure, but the life you once knew—can't have that back.
You later wake up in what seems like an FIA-operated hospital in Langley. Reed will be the first person you speak to since the operation.

He'll explain everything that though the operation was a success, you lost the ability to use any Cyberware, thus ending your career as a Night City merc.

On top of that, the operation that initially called for several weeks of rehab actually put you in a coma for two years.

As you try to reach your friends, V soon realizes the world they once knew is no longer the same.

• Viktor thought you had died after disappearing for two years. He'll tell you to visit his clinic to see if the no-chrome situation is true.
  • Panam has left NC, and her number is no longer operational. You can only leave her a voicemail.
  • River needed money for Randy's rehab, so he sold a ton of police secrets to Trauma Team. He'll refuse to see you.
  • Kerry's career is even more prominent now, but he'll be too busy to see you.
  • Judy will be glad to hear that you're alive, but she's now married to a girl named Bianca and living in Pittsburgh.
Delamain will drive you back to Vik's clinic while updating you that Arasaka has taken most of their business out of Night City.

Misty's shop is long gone and is replaced by a Zetatech cyberware store.

During the check-up, Vik will confirm that he can do nothing about your Chrome-less situation.

As two street thugs attack you for money, you run into Misty, who helps you get up. Before leaving for an ancient forest in Poland, she tells you that she's convinced you'll figure out your life no matter what.

The scene ends with V walking into a crowd, continuing life as just another face in the crowd.

So this is what I want to know. Can you play this DLC and maintain the original endings? Maybe it was right there in front of me, if I go back and reread the article. 🤔

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Phantom LIbery Spoiler: This is what I found online regarding available endings (Unconfirmed):

At the end of PL you are offered the cure. You have to make a phone call to Reed if you want to accept it. If you accept it, the game will be over. If you want to keep playing, finish open quests, or use one of the main games endings, don't call Reed to schedule the surgery. Instead go see Hanako at Embers for the main game endings.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve started the Phantom Liberty quest. First based on an existing save, I had to reconstruct the new skill tree, and found that based on my progress in the game, I could find no police encounters anywhere in the city to practise these skills. It’s like these (police) encounters are limited, and they are used up and go away as the player completes them.

So I went to Dog Town and started progressing through the quest, and I’m finding combat awkward. Things, like movement don’t work as I instinctively remember them. Not helping is a frequently dark, cluttered, junky environment where obstacles are hard to see and get in my way.

There is also a large mech you have to fight, but if you did not have the wisdom to pre-equip a “weak spot” cybermod, going can be tough to get though this fight, which I have not yet completed. Still trying to figure out why sometimes my movement is fast, and sometime it slows down to what feels like a crawl.

Personally, I don’t like how this DLC was inserted into the middle of an already existing storyline. 🤔

I did notice that in this 2.0 update, something new, if you have picked up Judy as a girl friend, you can now invite her over to your apartment, to chat, cuddle, kiss, and dance with. This social interaction almost gives you a reason to have an apartment, unlike before. I always wondered why you have a bed, and can choose to sleep, but I don’t remember ever getting fatigued and never was forced to sleep. You might think a game like this when not in the middle of an important quest would include a fatigue meter, that demanded at times, you take some time to rest up? 🤔

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Some Phantom Liberty Plot Spoilers here…
Don’t read if you don’t want to know.
I think I’ve become a curmudgeon in my old age and have set this DLC aside. After some significant progress in the DLC, I suddenly came to the realization that although I’ve enjoyed Dog Town, I don’t like how the main quest seems extremely important to devote all your attention to, yet the game throws all these other minor quests at you, like go steal some cars for me….

Based on my research, I do not care where this DLC story leads, because I’ve completed this game 3 times, I know the ending I want, (through research), the ending I don’t want (this DLC) and that this is just a detour, some busy work inserted in the middle of the original story that takes away from the main flow of the story as I have come to know it, possibly love it. A certain choice here can short change the original story, and I already know, I’ll politely decline the offer of a cure at the end of this DLC, because I don’t want to alter the original ending that I prefer. 🤔

I don’t have a problem with the rebuild of the skill tree as per update 2.0, but, I’m really down on the idea of plugging this DLC into the original game. I acknowledge that not all will agree with me.

There is a reason you’ll read comments like “play though the original game first, and then via restart/skip ahead or revert to a saved game in the right spot to play Phantom Liberty”. It’s because this DLC screws with the original game, a certain choice here, cuts off other original endings. You maybe ok with that, because you always by your actions, chose a single ending, and you may prefer the new ending the DLC offers. My research indicates at least to me, that the new ending in the context of the story is a downer, although you are cured, you just lose everything else as far as relationships and your abilities.

Btw, after setting aside Phantom Liberty, and starting up Skyrim Enhanced version (at a midpoint where I left it to to play Starfield), I was awash in good vibes. Maybe I’m assimilated. That is how powerful the Elder Scrolls environment can be. The music is a significant mood addition to environment. Gosh, I’m even thinking about a redo of Fallout 4, again! :)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I think I’ve become a curmudgeon in my old age and have set this DLC aside. After some significant progress in the DLC, I suddenly came to the realization that although I’ve enjoyed Dog Town, I don’t like how the main quest seems extremely important to devote all your attention to, yet the game throws all these other minor quests at you, like go steal some cars for me….

Based on my research, I do not care where this DLC story leads, because I’ve completed this game 3 times, I know the ending I want, (through research), the ending I don’t want (this DLC) and that this is just a detour, some busy work inserted in the middle of the original story that takes away from the main flow of the story as I have come to know it, possibly love it. A certain choice here can short change the original story, and I already know, I’ll politely decline the offer of a cure at the end of this DLC, because I don’t want to alter the original ending that I prefer. 🤔

I don’t have a problem with the rebuild of the skill tree as per update 2.0, but, I’m really down on the idea of plugging this DLC into the original game. I acknowledge that not all will agree with me.

There is a reason you’ll read comments like “play though the original game first, and then via restart/skip ahead or revert to a saved game in the right spot to play Phantom Liberty”. It’s because this DLC screws with the original game, a certain choice here, cuts off other original endings. You maybe ok with that, because you always by your actions, chose a single ending, and you may prefer the new ending the DLC offers. My research indicates at least to me, that the new ending in the context of the story is a downer, although you are cured, you just lose everything else as far as relationships and your abilities.

Btw, after setting aside Phantom Liberty, and starting up Skyrim Enhanced version (at a midpoint where I left it to to play Starfield), I was awash in good vibes. Maybe I’m assimilated. That is how powerful the Elder Scrolls environment can be. The music is a significant mood addition to environment. Gosh, I’m even thinking about a redo of Fallout 4, again! :)
I just played Phantom Liberty for vibes and giggles after completing the main question twice. The DLC offered precisely what I wanted, more of the same but better with new mechanics and smarter enemies.

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn and Mackilroy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just played Phantom Liberty for vibes and giggles after completing the main question twice. The DLC offered precisely what I wanted, more of the same but better with new mechanics and smarter enemies.
Sorry for probably repeating myself…
The way I approached it, was not having played in possibly a year, load in a save and instead of going into the “point of no return” restaurant (in relationship to the main story), I took the Dog Town quest, which takes you completely out of the pressing issue in your life, has the potential of killing other endings pertinent to the main story, and I’m thinking the next time I play this though from the beginning, most likely I’ll ignore Dogtown. Sure saving the President is important, but really, they plopped this into the middle of the main quest, you know, you’re fighting for your life? 🧐

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Sorry for probably repeating myself…
The way I approached it, was not having played in possibly a year, load in a save and instead of going into the “point of no return” restaurant (in relationship to the main story), I took the Dog Town quest, which takes you completely out of the pressing issue in your life, has the potential of killing other endings pertinent to the main story, and I’m thinking the next time I play this though from the beginning, most likely I’ll ignore Dogtown. Sure saving the President is important, but really, they plopped this into the middle of the main quest, you know, you’re fighting for your life? 🧐
The mission does apparently affect endings but I did Dog Down immediately after finishing my second play through. For me, it doesn't matter when it's played, middle or ending, it's an awesome expansion either way with jaw dropping visuals.

Reactions: Huntn and Mackilroy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The mission does apparently affect endings but I did Dog Down immediately after finishing my second play through. For me, it doesn't matter when it's played, middle or ending, it's an awesome expansion either way with jaw dropping visuals.
See that’s the thing, play it *after* a playthough. They just plopped it in, in the middle when it might have been better to make this a prequel to the Main story…🤔

prodgogo

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024

There is a reason you’ll read comments like “play though the original game first at https://mr.bet/nz, and then via restart/skip ahead or revert to a saved game in the right spot to play Phantom Liberty”. It’s because this DLC screws with the original game, a certain choice here, cuts off other original endings. You maybe ok with that, because you always by your actions, chose a single ending, and you may prefer the new ending the DLC offers. My research indicates at least to me, that the new ending in the context of the story is a downer, although you are cured, you just lose everything else as far as relationships and your abilities.

Btw, after setting aside Phantom Liberty , and starting up Skyrim Enhanced version (at a midpoint where I left it to to play Starfield), I was awash in good vibes. Maybe I’m assimilated. That is how powerful the Elder Scrolls environment can be. The music is a significant mood addition to environment. Gosh, I’m even thinking about a redo of Fallout 4, again! :)
Wow, it sounds like you've really put a ton of thought into your experience with the Cyberpunk 2077 DLC, Phantom Liberty. I get where you're coming from – wanting to stick to what you know and love about the original game can be a big deal, especially after investing so much time into it.

The way you describe it, it seems like the DLC might mess with the vibe you've come to enjoy in Cyberpunk 2077. It's cool that you've done your research and know exactly what you want out of the game's endings. Making choices that could potentially alter those endings is a big deal, and it's totally understandable that you'd want to avoid any curveballs the DLC might throw your way.

It's awesome that you're finding solace in other gaming realms like Skyrim and Fallout 4. Sometimes, diving into a different game can give you the breather you need from the intensity of Cyberpunk 2077. Plus, those games have such immersive environments and killer soundtracks – it's no wonder they're drawing you back in!

In the end, gaming is all about personal preference, right? It's totally cool to prioritize certain aspects of a game and skip over others if they don't float your boat. Thanks for sharing your gaming journey with us!

• Love
Reactions: Huntn and Queen6

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow, it sounds like you've really put a ton of thought into your experience with the Cyberpunk 2077 DLC, Phantom Liberty. I get where you're coming from – wanting to stick to what you know and love about the original game can be a big deal, especially after investing so much time into it.

The way you describe it, it seems like the DLC might mess with the vibe you've come to enjoy in Cyberpunk 2077. It's cool that you've done your research and know exactly what you want out of the game's endings. Making choices that could potentially alter those endings is a big deal, and it's totally understandable that you'd want to avoid any curveballs the DLC might throw your way.

It's awesome that you're finding solace in other gaming realms like Skyrim and Fallout 4. Sometimes, diving into a different game can give you the breather you need from the intensity of Cyberpunk 2077. Plus, those games have such immersive environments and killer soundtracks – it's no wonder they're drawing you back in!

In the end, gaming is all about personal preference, right? It's totally cool to prioritize certain aspects of a game and skip over others if they don't float your boat. Thanks for sharing your gaming journey with us!
Cyberpunk 2077- What they should have done is create Phantom Liberty as a prequel! Although all the Johnny in the DLC would not be there, this would have made good sense IMO. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.