Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I admit I simply ended up watching a playthrough to get my fix. So that means about a year before I have forgotten most of it enough to perhaps give the game another try.

One thing about these Kojima games - and for me they have all shared that since MGS2 (made first contact back then) - the controls are always so convoluted that once you've put the game down for a bit the idea of having to find your stride again in it seems quite daunting.

I don't have that with other games. Or should I say: 'normal' games? :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@Weaselboy

So, I’m back on par in terms of considering purchasing this game today. But I’d appreciate your feedback on your overall experience, and I gather it is kind of a ‘walking simulator’, but I’m learning that I’m gravitating towards a different genre of games now, (See my post about Doom Eternal being sort of a letdown In “What game are you playing.”)

After reading some reviews, They’re really impressive about this game after six months on the market. Altogether, if you wouldn’t mind elaborating on the overall strengths/weaknesses of this game, and what kind of combat if any?

Also, if anyone else has feedback, aside from what’s in this thread already, feel free to elaborate.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just noticed the game is on sale now for $29.99. For me, especially at that price, it is an easy recommend.

I mentioned earlier I found the beginning of the game (up to chapter three) very frustrating. After that, I thought it really opened up and was fun and had an interesting story.

It starts in the usual post apocalyptic world scenario and your job is to convince and help various areas around the country to get reconnected and join up with your "side". To convince these folks, you have to do missions for them that consist of finding or delivering packages and supplies. While on these missions you run across these black, ghost-like things called BTs that will try and kill you. If you like, you can take them on and kill them, or if you prefer they can largely be avoided. There are also bandits you will run across. Same thing, you can just avoid them if you like, or take them out. You can play that part of the game however you want. The core of the game though is definitely not geared around combat.

There is a complex story woven into the game I won't spoil for you, but you can watch some YT videos if you like.

Once I got the hang of how things worked, the time spent walking across the countryside is very enjoyable. The scenery is beautiful and music is perfect.

My only criticism I think would be there are cut-scenes that are a little long.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 44267547

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
@MisterSavage @Weaselboy

Thanks for the pep talk. Ok.....time to go make some deliveries!

I forgot to mention something. One thing that just completely overwhelmed me at first was the huge number of delivery orders. While you can score some nice gear from doing a lot you absolutely do not have to do every one to finish the game. I had a lot of unclaimed orders when the credits rolled on my game.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I forgot to mention something. One thing that just completely overwhelmed me at first was the huge number of delivery orders. While you can score some nice gear from doing a lot you absolutely do not have to do every one to finish the game. I had a lot of unclaimed orders when the credits rolled on my game.
I agree... same with all the orders you stumble onto laying around the countryside. You will go nuts trying to deliver all those.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Weaselboy,

Scored D.S. for ~$20 even. {I had a $10 promo coupon with Best Buy.}

Seriously though, my backlog is officially set [Rage 2, Days Gone, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and No Mans Sky to mix/match these titles on my Pro/OneX ], and after spending an inordinate amount of time trying to find the next game that will carry me throughout the summer until we see Cyberpunk/TLOU2 eventually arrive, I’m looking forward to the experience with Death Stranding.

I was heavily involved in reading/watching reviews, GamerAnx (YouTube) Who I feel is one of the most experienced gamers on the Internet, had a plethora of high remarks about this game, and that says a lot coming from someone who has over 5 million subscribers.

BF46FBCB-95BE-4DDF-B4DD-28A9E496F643.jpeg

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I'd prefer he started something new again. He seems to have a lot of capacity to come up with interesting and - in the game space at least - unusual settings but it gets really convoluted after a while. For example I thought it was a good thing to leave Snake and all that accumulated story BS behind.

No need to add more head scratchers to the world of DS than the first game already provided.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Gonna boot up this game for the first time today after work. Read multiple times that it's game you need to get into, so I'm going to give it 8 hours to decide if I'll play the full game or not.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Gonna boot up this game for the first time today after work. Read multiple times that it's game you need to get into, so I'm going to give it 8 hours to decide if I'll play the full game or not.

Can you do me a favor? Let me know your initial thoughts just even within the first Hours of you playing this. I’m just now wrapping up another title and this is likely next up in my lineup or ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’. Nonetheless, any thoughts on your experience [without spoilers] would be helpful.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just noticed the game is on sale now for $29.99. For me, especially at that price, it is an easy recommend.

I mentioned earlier I found the beginning of the game (up to chapter three) very frustrating. After that, I thought it really opened up and was fun and had an interesting story.

It starts in the usual post apocalyptic world scenario and your job is to convince and help various areas around the country to get reconnected and join up with your "side". To convince these folks, you have to do missions for them that consist of finding or delivering packages and supplies. While on these missions you run across these black, ghost-like things called BTs that will try and kill you. If you like, you can take them on and kill them, or if you prefer they can largely be avoided. There are also bandits you will run across. Same thing, you can just avoid them if you like, or take them out. You can play that part of the game however you want. The core of the game though is definitely not geared around combat.

There is a complex story woven into the game I won't spoil for you, but you can watch some YT videos if you like.

Once I got the hang of how things worked, the time spent walking across the countryside is very enjoyable. The scenery is beautiful and music is perfect.

My only criticism I think would be there are cut-scenes that are a little long.

Hope this helps.

Now that I’m finally catching up on my backlog, I have this game in progress (Maybe two hours into it so far), I’m curious, did you ever complete the entire game? I’ve read that it takes 40 to 50 hours to complete the main campaign. If so, did it take you that long? What was your post game experience or where are you at in the game? (Obviously, without spoilers.)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Now that I’m finally catching up on my backlog, I have this game in progress (Maybe two hours into it so far), I’m curious, did you ever complete the entire game? I’ve read that it takes 40 to 50 hours to complete the main campaign. If so, did it take you that long? What was your post game experience or where are you at in the game? (Obviously, without spoilers.)
I'd say you could complete it in less. I had a TON of unfinished side quests when I finished the main campaign.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I did complete it, but it has been so long ago I have no idea how long it took me. Sorry I'm not more help.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I did complete it, but it has been so long ago I have no idea how long it took me. Sorry I'm not more help.
Well, I was going to blame your age for the forgetfulness, but I’ll let it slide.😁

If the campaign is anywhere near 40 hours, I probably will take intermittent breaks between other titles, but if it was something like ~20 to 30 hours, then I would just complete it all in one sitting, that’s why I was asking.

• Haha

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
So I was planning on playing for an hour, to get a quick idea. Planned on giving the game 8 hours to convince me since I knew it's a special game.

The sessions that was supposed to be an hour, became three hours without me even realizing it. It was mostly "what the F?" and "What the hell?" combined with me being really intrigued. I want to know more!!!

I do hate the makers already for dropping cargo here and there, cause I just can't pass it without picking it up. My journey to the first outpost was interrupted two times because I found too many packages that had to be delivered at my starting point :p I'm going to have to let go and just leave lost cargo, or I'm going to be playing 200hrs before completing the campaign :p

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I do hate the makers already for dropping cargo here and there, cause I just can't pass it without picking it up.

You'll get over that! Oh to be a such an idealistic new carrier again. I would run by dropped cargo like it didn't exist at the end.

• Haha
Reactions: BlankStar

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I was planning on playing for an hour, to get a quick idea. Planned on giving the game 8 hours to convince me since I knew it's a special game.

The sessions that was supposed to be an hour, became three hours without me even realizing it. It was mostly "what the F?" and "What the hell?" combined with me being really intrigued. I want to know more!!!

I do hate the makers already for dropping cargo here and there, cause I just can't pass it without picking it up. My journey to the first outpost was interrupted two times because I found too many packages that had to be delivered at my starting point :p I'm going to have to let go and just leave lost cargo, or I'm going to be playing 200hrs before completing the campaign :p

I’m not gonna lie, I’m not sure if this game is for me. I put in about six hours so far, and I basically get the concept of the delivery idea. I don’t care that this isn’t a combat related game, and I do think it’s extremely unique and it’s very fluid with the gameplay. My biggest gripes is that the BT’s are really annoying, and there’s a lot of things that are just not explained very well. The only thing that keeps me intrigued is definitely the storyline to see where it’s leading.

How has your experience been so far? Are you still consistently playing or how far are you into the game? I don’t like to give up on games and I certainly don’t to like flip-flop between games, as that can definitely affect the interest, but I’ve moved over to ‘Shadow of the Tomb
Raider’ in the meantime.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I’m not gonna lie, I’m not sure if this game is for me. I put in about six hours so far, and I basically get the concept of the delivery idea. I don’t care that this isn’t a combat related game, and I do think it’s extremely unique and it’s very fluid with the gameplay. My biggest gripes is that the BT’s are really annoying, and there’s a lot of things that are just not explained very well. The only thing that keeps me intrigued is definitely the storyline to see where it’s leading.

So that's exactly where I was at 6 hours. I made a "how TF do I deal with BT's post" because it was so confusing. Deliveries seemed so tedious. You do eventually get a little combat. I loved the boss fights and I normally hate boss fights.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium

How has your experience been so far? Are you still consistently playing or how far are you into the game? I don’t like to give up on games and I certainly don’t to like flip-flop between games, as that can definitely affect the interest, but I’ve moved over to ‘Shadow of the Tomb
Raider’ in the meantime.

Haven't played much because I'm real busy at work and realized I completely forgot about The Mandalorian season 2, binged that one this week. Gonna resume playing Death Stranding now :)

This is the way. :cool:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Haven't played much because I'm real busy at work and realized I completely forgot about The Mandalorian season 2, binged that one this week. Gonna resume playing Death Stranding now :)

This is the way. :cool:

How dare you. There’s never an excuse to skip gaming. It’s Always a priority over your girlfriend, your job and everything else in his life. Everybody knows that.😁

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
How dare you. There’s never an excuse to skip gaming. It’s Always a priority over your girlfriend, your job and everything else in his life. Everybody knows that.😁
Yeah, problem is that I need money to buy games and a new tv every couple of years, thus I must make sure my boss remains happy so that he hands over some cash every month :p

Played some more and must say that it's much nicer now that I got me a bike. Walking was growing old fast.

Reactions: 44267547
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.