Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I quit Death Stranding. I'm too frustrated they don't hand you a weapon to kill stuff around you and have to run like a little <female dog>. Was driving away with my bike being chased, got stuck on a rock that was maybe 15 cm high (5-6") and the physics went all mental. Could get away and then the whole world came upon me. I was so frustrated that I wanted to throw my controller. That type of frustration is something I haven't experienced in a game in a long, long time, so I decided to put this game aside. Maybe I'll try again in a short while when I forgot about this frustration, but it's a no for now.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I quit Death Stranding. I'm too frustrated they don't hand you a weapon to kill stuff around you and have to run like a little <female dog>. Was driving away with my bike being chased, got stuck on a rock that was maybe 15 cm high (5-6") and the physics went all mental. Could get away and then the whole world came upon me. I was so frustrated that I wanted to throw my controller. That type of frustration is something I haven't experienced in a game in a long, long time, so I decided to put this game aside. Maybe I'll try again in a short while when I forgot about this frustration, but it's a no for now.

Who's going to protect BB now? :(

• Haha
Reactions: Weaselboy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To be more clear, I think that D.S is one most unique games I’ve ever played. And I actually like the idea of the simulation of walking and delivering packages from point A to Point B. The problem I have with it, isn’t the gameplay mechanics, (as that’s very fluid, the body movements when in transition is very natural if you’re about to fall due to the weight from the packages, the weather, the scenery is all great.) It’s the lack of direction with the storyline, the BT’s as already mentioned, is overwhelmingly annoying, with these black inky monsters coming up from the ground are my main gripes.

I’m not interested in the side missions, I do think the storyline is intriguing enough to see how everything tethers together. I realize this isn’t combat driven game and I’m fine with that, I’m just struggling with the motivational push to keep going with the storyline that seems so tedious.

Also, with the game map, that can easily be confusing with all the directional lines and arrows, it needs a configuration of controlling the legend somewhat more in tune to what the user wants to see.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Who's going to protect BB now? :(
They told me he's going to die anyway, so who cares :p

I rage quit for a while too, then came back and actually enjoyed it.

How far in were you? After chapter three is gets better and easier.
I'm glad to read I'm not the only one. I don't know what chapter, I think near the end of chapter two.

I’m just struggling with the motivational push to keep going with the storyline that seems so tedious.

Also, with the game map, that can easily be confusing with all the directional lines and arrows, it needs a configuration of controlling the legend somewhat more in tune to what the user wants to see.

This sums it up. My motivational push would be a nice rifle to shoot stuff, but guess I won't be getting that...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@BlankStar

Yup, I’m not returning back to that game. Like I said, I think it’s a really interesting facet to see how a walking simulator actually isn’t boring, and it’s very visceral experience with transporting the packages an the core player mechanics is very fluid, but the game just doesn’t outline specifically an evident path to the player what exactly is happening and the enemy AI [BT’s] is the same redundant inky monsters that grab you.

I don’t care that it’s not combat driven, I knew that before I purchased it, it’s just the convoluted map, the lack of direction, is apathetic at best. But I always gave Kojima the props for such a visually stunning game with character models, streamlined dialogue, motion capture and theatrics.

I won’t take credit for this, but one gamer did say in a post game review, ‘that this specific game is not for everybody’ and I don’t think Kojima intended it to be for everybody, it really takes a unique player that has to have the mindset of not just playing the game, but have a deep-er understanding of every thing it offers.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm glad to read I'm not the only one. I don't know what chapter, I think near the end of chapter two.

For as much ribbing as I give you I don't blame you. I came sooooooo close to quitting in the early parts of the game. I do have to say I am glad I stuck with it. There are some fantastic boss fights and the story/characters really started to get their hooks into me.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
For as much ribbing as I give you I don't blame you. I came sooooooo close to quitting in the early parts of the game. I do have to say I am glad I stuck with it. There are some fantastic boss fights and the story/characters really started to get their hooks into me.

And you fight with what? Throwing your boxes at it? Or do we get some decent weapons later on?

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
So, one year later and I started again with the Director's Cut on the PS5 and didn't give up like previously and I must say you guys were right. What a nice game... I'm loving it. Currently close to the west coast and can't wait to end the story.

And this way I'll be ready for Death Stranding 2 :cool:

Reactions: KaliYoni

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I was playing it and getting into it quite a bit…then I quit. I for past the part where the ship left for the next city and you start building the highway and helping the area where the bomb went off. I really just got tired of playing as errand boy, especially when it takes forever to get from one place to another. It just got super repetitive and old real fast. Story seemed rock solid but doesn’t mean much with less than fun gameplay

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Guess what...the real life Death Stranding is in the High Tatras!

"When loaded, the wooden carrying frames used by the so-called ‘Tatra Sherpas’ weigh up to 100 kilos or more. The porters climb up to 2,000 meters with their loads, supplying essentials to remote mountain huts in the Slovakian national park."

;-)

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Guess what...the real life Death Standing is in the High Tatras!

"When loaded, the wooden carrying frames used by the so-called ‘Tatra Sherpas’ weigh up to 100 kilos or more. The porters climb up to 2,000 meters with their loads, supplying essentials to remote mountain huts in the Slovakian national park."

;-)
Good grief, that looks just like what you'll carry in the game. I wonder if Kojima referenced this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.