Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
I find it hilarious that Blizzard opened the D2:R with a line like "Diablo 2 finally working on modern pcs" -- I thought he was referring to macOS since it's only macOS that it doesn't run on atm, it worked fine on windows.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
The CPU architecture isn't a problem, the GPU is. Apple dumped Nvidia and now AMD for their own chip. They won't support OpenGL anymore and so the requirement is Metal. For someone using a off-the-shelf engine, probably not much of a problem. For someone using their own engine or a heavily customized one, this is a big problem.
but why not port it to at least the intel based macOS systems (86x) ? They're doing it for all the other 86x consoles/pcs like windows, switch, Ps5, xbox (talking about Diablo 2 Resurrected in this instance but it applies to D4)

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
but why not port it to at least the intel based macOS systems (86x) ? They're doing it for all the other 86x consoles/pcs like windows, switch, Ps5, xbox (talking about Diablo 2 Resurrected in this instance but it applies to D4)
The Apple transition is too new to allow game developers to look our way and say its worth all the expense to make D4 port for us at this time. That same transition is likely making them question supporting intel based macOS systems (86x) IMHO. I know Apple has said they will be supporting x86 based Macs for a awhile, but when they go to the trouble of porting games they probably are thinking in the long term benefits. Apple hasn't really stated their long term goals with x86 Macs.

Reactions: ackmondual

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Modern macOS requires Metal, on x86 or ARM. OpenGL is deprecated. They got AMD to play along in the x86 world knowing they would dump them later on. Nvidia shut the door and didn't play along. They didn't want to get locked out by Apple while establishing their own closed eco system. No other system, no console requires Metal. All other systems including consoles have one thing in common, they can run OpenGL/Vulkan, while Windows (with a much much larger user base) will probably use DirectX, but could use OpenGL/Vulkan. So it's Apple on their own vs. everyone else combined.

While I'd like to see support, I can't blame anyone for not doing it. I'm in the same boat. While x86/AMD GPU Macs were very limited for my use cases, AS changed this to make M1 Macs a major pain. Don't get me wrong, I do like what Apple is doing and I think it's the future. The end users not just surfing the web, cutting videos or working on photos are screwed right now. Instead of bothering porting things over, it's much much cheaper to just buy Lenovo/Dell/whatever hardware with Linux and a Nvidia GPU and be done with it. It doesn't even really matter what it costs to buy non-Apple hardware, 10k, 100k, 1M... it's cheaper than porting and maintaining. This might change in a couple of years, who knows, but right now the whole Apple software eco system is in the worst share I've ever seen it in. Sure, things were much "simpler" when the switch from 68k to PPC happened. More complicated switching from PPC to Intel, but still not as problematic as the current hardware switch or the preparation for it when they decided to go Metal.

In order to change this, we'd need everyone on board right now. The problem is, no one wants to be the first. And as I said, if I'd start now for my use cases, it would costs a pretty penny to do it while using Linux/Nvidia is essentially free.

Reactions: thekev

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Blizzard has been slowly turning away from the Mac platform for quite some time. Basically, Hearthstone and WoW are basically it for the Mac platform. They haven't entertained the idea of supporting the Mac platform on anything new for quite some time. Their development staff for the Mac side is already meager at best and short of game breaking bugs, the Mac sees no love.

ARM works but isn't officially supported by Blizzard.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Blizzard has been slowly turning away from the Mac platform for quite some time. Basically, Hearthstone and WoW are basically it for the Mac platform. They haven't entertained the idea of supporting the Mac platform on anything new for quite some time. Their development staff for the Mac side is already meager at best and short of game breaking bugs, the Mac sees no love.

ARM works but isn't officially supported by Blizzard.
Mac platform also includes StarCraft II, StarCraft Remastered, and Diablo 3. Not saying these are all M1 playable, but certainly x86 Intel. Diablo Immortal will be Android and IOS/iPadOS when released.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Diablo Immortal will be Android and IOS/iPadOS when released.
Yes, and the difference is, they're using NetEase's Messiah engine for it, which is optimized with the help of Qualcomm for Snapdragon. So they're essentially using a Chinese 3rd party engine for the mobile market games vs. In-House for the rest.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Mac platform also includes StarCraft II, StarCraft Remastered, and Diablo 3. Not saying these are all M1 playable, but certainly x86 Intel. Diablo Immortal will be Android and IOS/iPadOS when released.
Yes but all of those titles are basically older than Hearthstone, thus the only titles Blizzard develops for the Mac desktop are Hearthstone and WoW.

Given that iOS dominates the mobile market, there is no question that mobile games will be written for Mac mobile devices. Ported to run on a Mac desktop capable of running iOS apps? Already ample evidence that most developers choose not to re-code for the desktop environment. Unless Apple buys Blizzard or Bungie, there isn't going to be any real game development for the Mac desktop ever again.

Don't fall for the hype... there has been zero evidence that any game developer has even a .001% interest in developing games for a Mac desktop computer. You want to play games on a desktop... buy a PC.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Don't fall for the hype... there has been zero evidence that any game developer has even a .001% interest in developing games for a Mac desktop computer. You want to play games on a desktop... buy a PC.
Time will tell about the transition's success, but then it will be quite some time till Diablo 4 is shipping also. :p

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Given that iOS dominates the mobile market, there is no question that mobile games will be written for Mac mobile devices.
There's no question that games will be made for iOS. But iOS dominating the mobile market? It's time to look beyond the borders of the US: https://www.statista.com/statistics...-held-by-mobile-operating-systems-since-2009/. iOS is less than 30% share globally. Under 20% in Asia, better in Europe, but still around 30%. So it's far from dominating the market.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
There's no question that games will be made for iOS. But iOS dominating the mobile market? It's time to look beyond the borders of the US: https://www.statista.com/statistics...-held-by-mobile-operating-systems-since-2009/. iOS is less than 30% share globally. Under 20% in Asia, better in Europe, but still around 30%. So it's far from dominating the market.
But iOS users purchase more "paid" apps. And americans (canada/usa) purchase more things in general (consumerism)

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Time will tell about the transition's success, but then it will be quite some time till Diablo 4 is shipping also. :p
When Apple transitioned to INTEL, Macs had the highest potential to have games developed for the platform. They shared the same graphics API up until Metal came out. You could run bootcamp. It was one of the selling points from Steve Jobs himself. It never came to fruition. ARM Macs aren't helping your chances, it's hurting you.

And I can say right now, with 100% certainty, that Diablo 4 will not be coming to the Mac platform. You can hold your breath until you are blue in the face, but it's NEVER going to happen. Diablo 4 is for PC and console only.

Trust me, this is not the first title nor the last title that Blizzard will make that will exclude the Mac platform.

You want to play Diablo 4, get yourself a PC or a console... and wait... because it's running behind schedule as usual.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
iOS dominates the mobile market in terms of dollars spent despite having smaller marketshare by units deployed.

iOS users are far more likely to spend money on mobile apps than Android users. Many, many mobile app developers have repeatedly commented on this.

Software developers are looking at all of these porting choices as BUSINESS DECISIONS.

CPU architecture, graphics APIs, etc. all mean so much less than the anticipated revenue forecast. I realize that's a hard concept for some people here to understand.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Trust me, this is not the first title nor the last title that Blizzard will make that will exclude the Mac platform.

You want to play Diablo 4, get yourself a PC or a console... and wait... because it's running behind schedule as usual.
Or just keep your Mac and hope the game eventually hits one of the cloud gaming platforms (GeForce NOW, Stadia, whatever).

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Not everyone can just afford to buy a second PC. Maybe I'll just get a nintendo switch some day for Diablo 2 .

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
iOS dominates the mobile market in terms of dollars spent despite having smaller marketshare by units deployed.

iOS users are far more likely to spend money on mobile apps than Android users. Many, many mobile app developers have repeatedly commented on this.
iOS users are certainly willing to spent more on single apps. That’s why apps costing $50 and more are very common vs Android. My first specialized app made me six-figures within a week. That’s become less common over the years, especially with modern subscription options. But prices for software are cheaper nowadays anyway and there’s much more to choose from. I don’t know what if DI or D4 will be subscription based or fixed prices, but if it’s fixed priced they better make it $20 or less and the price will be identical for iOS and Android. Since it’s a game and not some gimmick tool, gamers will buy it no matter what platform it’s on. Diablo is a well knows franchise.

Reactions: ackmondual

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
So in the event of the Blizzard scandals, if the latest news are correct D4 director Luis Barriga, D4 lead designer Jesse McCree as well as WoW designer Jonathan LeCraft are not part of Blizzard anymore. The big question now is, will D4 turn into the next Warcraft Reforged or the next Half-Life 3?

I guess it's really the beginning of the end of Blizzard.

• Wow
Reactions: KeesMacPro

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Diablo IV, the next major release in Activision Blizzard’s popular dungeon-crawling series, will be available in 2023, the company announced Sunday. When it launches, it’ll be available on PC, Xbox Series X / S, Xbox One, PS5, and PS4, and the game will have crossplay and cross-progression across all platforms. And as with previous Diablo games there will be blood — a lot of it. Whole actual waves of blood.

Eventually we will have some work around to play it, but then Ventura with Metal 3 is brand new.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
So by Q2 2023 you will have some workaround to play it ?
What brings you to that conclusion? It’s highly speculative that Crossover will bring DX12 support by late 2023 and no one knows what the performance hit might be. You can always play in the cloud, via some streaming service or rent your own low-latency box and DIY.

What I find a little puzzling is that so far, no one found a simple way to bring DX12 tier 1 games over. This should be somewhat easy and trivial to do, at least in comparison to higher tiers.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I need to say few things about Diablo IV. The Diablo games made some progress since the original release over 25 years ago. While D2 was mostly about "bigger", it brought some nice features. D3 was mostly about graphics, with a still very simple character leveling system. After playing a few seasons it became really boring as there was not enough tweakability. Graphically D4 is a step up, but not a significant one. So I've been watching some gameplay videos and all I can see is that D4 made a step towards Path of Exile. That is PoE1 not the upcoming PoE2. So I wonder if D4, when it comes out, finally catches up to a then 10 year old game or if they've reworked the whole system for something between D3 and PoE. I've always said D3 is too simple and PoE too complex (at least when pushing and not copying builds), so maybe they've found the right balance for those not playing PoE as a full time job. So far I've not seen anything that's really impressing. It's more of a natural evolution. The story probably will be great and of course I'll happily grab a copy as I've done with every Diablo game. I'm just not expecting it to be the next big thing, that is and will probably remain PoE.

Reactions: TBoneMac

NightOne

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2006
TN
Read this today (as posted here earlier) on the official Diablo page:

"Before you read further, we are excited to announce that Diablo IV will launch in 2023 on Windows PC, Xbox One X|S, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4/5 and will host cross-play and cross-progression for all platforms."

and was totally bummed.

No D4 on Mac - Friggin Blizzard :(

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
What brings you to that conclusion? It’s highly speculative that Crossover will bring DX12 support by late 2023 and no one knows what the performance hit might be. You can always play in the cloud, via some streaming service or rent your own low-latency box and DIY.

What I find a little puzzling is that so far, no one found a simple way to bring DX12 tier 1 games over. This should be somewhat easy and trivial to do, at least in comparison to higher tiers.
It doesn't need DX12. Lets look at what they recommend for PCs.

"PC System Analysis For Diablo 4 Requirements
Diablo 4 requires a Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB graphics card with a Core i5-9500 6-Core 3.0GHz or Ryzen 5 2500X 4-Core 3.6GHz processor to reach the recommended specs, achieving high graphics setting on 1080p. Minimum RAM requirements are 8 GB system memory. Your graphics card will need to be capable of running DirectX 11.00. To summarise, Diablo 4 needs around a 6 year old PC to play at recommended settings."

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Read this today (as posted here earlier) on the official Diablo page:

"Before you read further, we are excited to announce that Diablo IV will launch in 2023 on Windows PC, Xbox One X|S, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4/5 and will host cross-play and cross-progression for all platforms."

and was totally bummed.

No D4 on Mac - Friggin Blizzard :(
Microsoft is in the process of buying them, and it's not like blizzard has released versions all platforms at once either.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I need to say few things about Diablo IV. The Diablo games made some progress since the original release over 25 years ago. While D2 was mostly about "bigger", it brought some nice features. D3 was mostly about graphics, with a still very simple character leveling system. After playing a few seasons it became really boring as there was not enough tweakability. Graphically D4 is a step up, but not a significant one. So I've been watching some gameplay videos and all I can see is that D4 made a step towards Path of Exile. That is PoE1 not the upcoming PoE2. So I wonder if D4, when it comes out, finally catches up to a then 10 year old game or if they've reworked the whole system for something between D3 and PoE. I've always said D3 is too simple and PoE too complex (at least when pushing and not copying builds), so maybe they've found the right balance for those not playing PoE as a full time job. So far I've not seen anything that's really impressing. It's more of a natural evolution. The story probably will be great and of course I'll happily grab a copy as I've done with every Diablo game. I'm just not expecting it to be the next big thing, that is and will probably remain PoE.
PoE is a poor port that tries to mimic a Mac application, they still don't have anything except a test version that they are too embarrassed to devulge publicly on their web pages. I also can't stand the elongated pushing with too many maps that seems to go forever and ever. What can one say it's worse then Diablo season bonus with new maps and more new maps. Maybe it should be renamed Path of Endlessness. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.