Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
It doesn't need DX12. Lets look at what they recommend for PCs.
Err... let me quote the relevant part of the links you provided:

Diablo 4 ****Predicted**** Minimum System Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i3-560 3.3GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 805
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • HDD: 60 GB of storage space
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB / AMD Radeon R9 380X
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Screen Resolution: 720p

Diablo 4 ****Predicted**** Minimum System Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i5-9500 3.0GHz / AMD Ryzen 5 2500X 3.6GHz
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • HDD: 60 GB of storage space
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB or
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Screen Resolution: 1080p
  • Network: Broadband Internet Connection

Minimum Requirements - ****Predicted****

• Processor: Intel Core i3-9100 4-Core 3.6GHz / AMD Ryzen 3 2300X 4-Core 3.5GHz
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 380X or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • HDD: 55 GB
  • DirectX 11 Compatible Graphics Card

Recommended Requirements - ****Predicted****

• Processor: Intel Core i5-9500 6-Core 3.0GHz / AMD Ryzen 5 2500X 4-Core 3.6GHz
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • HDD: 55 GB
  • DirectX 11 Compatible Graphics Card
So random websites make up some specs, back in November 2019 and we take it as a given?
We don't really know if it requires DX12 and at what tier, I'd assume it would as D2R requires it as well. But time will tell. If it has a fallback layer with DX11, then I don't see a problem. Use Crossover as it is and enjoy.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
So random websites make up some specs, back in November 2019 and we take it as a given
We don't really know if it requires DX12 and at what tier, I'd assume it would as D2R requires it as well. But time will tell. If it has a fallback layer with DX11, then I don't see a problem. Use Crossover as it is and enjoy.
I don't like the Crossover concept, that you have to pay them a yearly subscription to modernize a variation of WINE to run things on a Mac using Steam and other similar hosts. I rather see a ARM version of Windows running under VM.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
PoE is a poor port that tries to mimic a Mac application, they still don't have anything except a test version that they are too embarrassed to devulge publicly on their web pages.
It's on Steam advertised as both Windows and Mac. But yes, it's poor because they couldn't be bothered invvesting the money for the "few" people playing it on Mac. I've played the unofficial Mac port for a while and then the official version (which fixed long loading times). As far as graphics and performance goes, it's a pain. I've fully switched to the Windows version a couple of leagues ago.
I also can't stand the elongated pushing with too many maps that seems to go forever and ever. What can one say it's worse then Diablo season bonus with new maps and more new maps. Maybe it should be renamed Path of Endlessness. :D
But that's the fun part. D3 doesn't require any thinking at all, it's so limited that it's boring quickly because it's just clicking a button on the mouse. PoE isn't about maps or anything, it's all about crafting and the endless character tree which is so much more customizable than D3. The problem here is, it's too complex once you're above level 90. It turns into a full blown math statistics class at Oxford, considering Gems, Gem levels, the character tree and classes. Something in between PoE and D3 would be nice. If I'd only have to pick one, PoE without doubt, even when I don't have the time to fully dive into it.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
So by Q2 2023 you will have some workaround to play it ?
We can only speculate at this time, but I did note Apple had some utility for developers to aid in porting PC games to Metal 3 that I saw someplace. Also note this years WWW 2022 had a lot more Metal 3 associated discussion with its improvements and benefits over predecessor.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Something in between PoE and D3 would be nice
D4 borrowed some things from PoE, perhaps. I do note that Blizzard is horrible with specifying requirements even when they say something is announced. Really need to get their act together and give us all the details, but then D4 been coming for a long time.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I don't like the Crossover concept, that you have to pay them a yearly subscription to modernize a variation of WINE to run things on a Mac using Steam and other similar hosts. I rather see a ARM version of Windows running under VM.
Try Windows ARM then, if it works, that should be fine. That being said, there's a pay-once Crossover version called Crossover Life that comes with all future updates free, full support and some special swag.

Reactions: Realityck

NightOne

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2006
TN
Microsoft is in the process of buying them, and it's not like blizzard has released versions all platforms at once either.

Blizzard released MacOS versions on the same day as PC for Diablo 2, Warcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Hearthstone

Diablo 1 was a year later

Reactions: SecuritySteve

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
What brings you to that conclusion? It’s highly speculative that Crossover will bring DX12 support by late 2023 and no one knows what the performance hit might be. You can always play in the cloud, via some streaming service or rent your own low-latency box and DIY.

What I find a little puzzling is that so far, no one found a simple way to bring DX12 tier 1 games over. This should be somewhat easy and trivial to do, at least in comparison to higher tiers.
who said to you it was a conclusion; it wasnt any conclusion...it was just a question

clementishutin

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2022
In general, they think that the number of macOS gamers is too small right now to justify the expense of development. That perspective might alter with the M1. There isn't currently any macOS development for D4 at this moment, but no one has a crystal ball that can foretell the future with absolute certainty. This has mostly already elicited responses from others, and it has subsided.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
At this point Blizzard is done with the Mac as evident from the fact Diablo 2 Resurrection skipped macOS despite the original being on Mac. As they're being bought out by Microsoft that's only going to be even more apparent as Microsoft will want those games to be Windows and Xbox exclusives.

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009
I would not get up my hopes even with the announcement of Metal 3 and some game announcements l.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
so basically it's not coming to macOS and they just aren't announcing it publicly because it will be really really bad publicity. I know that many of the windows users would boycott diablo 4 if they knew it was not released on macOS since Diablo has ALWAYS been on both windows and macOS (that was one of the unique things about Diablo/Blizzard from way back over 20 years).
Citation needed. The most I heard was Window users were indifferent about this. They're neither thrilled nor repulsed that Mac users can get in to game with them

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
My co-workers say D4 is like Path of Exile Light. Not sure how much that helps in the comparison of the various versions of Diablo.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So, another triple A game that is not getting release on Mac (at least not day 1)?
(not that I care, as it's not my cup of tea, but I still see what's happening).

And we are supposed to keep drinking the kool aid? "Mac gaming, it's coming, trust me bro".
Folks have been pretty sad that Blizzard has more or less stopped macOS support in new games. I'm still surprised they didn't bother making Diablo Immortal work on macOS when they went through the (more?) effort for the PC version.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Folks have been pretty sad that Blizzard has more or less stopped macOS support in new games. I'm still surprised they didn't bother making Diablo Immortal work on macOS when they went through the (more?) effort for the PC version.
The eye opening thing with blizzard is that they have previous releases for MacOS and thus plenty of sales data that they’re not just “guessing” at.

They’ve clearly looked at their sales data and decided that MacOS sales don’t justify development and support costs.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The eye opening thing with blizzard is that they have previous releases for MacOS and thus plenty of sales data that they’re not just “guessing” at.

They’ve clearly looked at their sales data and decided that MacOS sales don’t justify development and support costs.
I wonder if they lost all (or a lot) of the folk internally that would champion a macOS release.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
There is a reason they are called Activision Blizzard these days.

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
My co-workers say D4 is like Path of Exile Light. Not sure how much that helps in the comparison of the various versions of Diablo.
I find POE too complex, so that might be a good thing. Hopefully not too light/simple though - there needs to be some depth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.