Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I don't usually criticise Apple products but there is one I would like to vent out my frustration on the the Mac Pro 2013. You do not have to agree with me, so just hear me out. It will be a long story and an experience for those who hopefully won't have to go through the pain and disappointment I went through (still going through) by the way. I live in Malaysia so maybe customer experience is not as bad overseas, nonetheless I use this Mac Pro ("workstation") to make a living so it is very important to me.

Like any products, they will eventually need repairs. My Mac Pro has served me quite well for almost 4 years now. The AC Inlet (power supply) needed replacement so on the 4th of April 2018, I brought it to an authorised service centre name Switch, we don't have an Apple store here in Malaysia. Almost two months passed, I decided to call them up asking why they are taking so long (I've got a few projects that need to be completed soon). No answer so I called up Apple Support instead and explained the situation. Apple Support was nice enough to apologise and offered a free repair as repairs do not take this long.

Anyway, a week passed and so the AC Inlet was replaced but then another problem occurred. Another part ( I don't recall) needed to be replaced, so that is another 2 weeks. however, it still wouldn't work after 2 parts was replaced so I called Apple again, and this time they issued me a replacement unit (about 2 weeks waiting).

And then next thing you guessed it, the new replacement Unit that came couldn't power on (there was a red light). Frustrated, I called Apple again and they told me the only thing they could do was ask me to send to the service centre and so I did. Few days later, got a confirmation from them that the logic board had issues and needs to be replaced and that took about 1 week. Just few days ago, I received a message that they've replaced the logic board but the Mac still couldn't turn on. They assume it is the CPU riser thingy at fault so it will get replaced again. So basically, they're gonna replace and waste my time until it works. I've begged Apple support to reach customer relations to try and find other solutions or options but apparently they don't deal with customers only with their staffs.

Today is the 21 August, I couldn't use my Mac Pro since 4th of April 2018. Now before you pass any judgement on me, it costs 10-12 months of average salary to buy one. It is really expensive. I can afford the repairs but not a new one. And I can only get paid after the project is finished.

Apple makes nice products, however their after sales service is another. I don't want to sound cliche but this will be the last Mac I will buy and not because they're overpriced, but after experiencing the level of service and customer support they provide, no words can describe how disappointment I am. Why are we buying a workstation in the first place? Thank you for reading and apologies for any grammatical mistakes.

Bryan

Reactions: singhs.apps

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm sorry you've had such a rotten experience with Apple's service. I think it might be because you're in Malaysia and there aren't any easy ways to get service from an AASP though I completely understand your frustration.

Regardless I would definitely email Tim (tcook@apple.com) and politely explain the situation. Don't go with the whole "this will be my last Mac" angle but just outline the case history with the reference numbers and explain you've been without a machine for a long time as a result.

Best of luck buddy.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
I'm sorry you've had such a rotten experience with Apple's service. I think it might be because you're in Malaysia and there aren't any easy ways to get service from an AASP though I completely understand your frustration.

Regardless I would definitely email Tim (tcook@apple.com) and politely explain the situation. Don't go with the whole "this will be my last Mac" angle but just outline the case history with the reference numbers and explain you've been without a machine for a long time as a result.

Best of luck buddy.
will do.. and seriously, thank you for empathy.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It would be unacceptable to not be able to work for four and a half months.

I love Apple, so I hate to say this... but with such poor support you have there, you should probably switch to Windows (if possible) and just have a generic PC where it is very easy to fix any part with an industry standard off the shelf replacement. Also there are computer companies geared toward business that will replace your PC next-day and even on-site if there are problems, or at least there are in the USA. Might consider that.

If you absolutely must be on a Mac, then I'd suggest buying a used 2013 Mac Pro to tide you over until yours is repaired, then you can sell it back on the used market. You shouldn't be out of pocket much at all since the value shouldn't change much, provided you can buy one at a fair price and then sell it at a fair price.

Last edited:

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
It would be unacceptable to not be able to work for four and a half months.

I love Apple, so I hate to say this... but with such poor support you have there, you should probably switch to Windows (if possible) and just have a generic PC where it is very easy to fix any part with an industry standard off the shelf replacement. Also there are computer companies geared toward business that will replace your PC next-day and even on-site if there are problems, or at least there are in the USA. Might consider that.

If you absolutely must be on a Mac, then I'd suggest buying a used 2013 Mac Pro to tide you over until yours is repaired, then you can sell it back on the used market. You shouldn't be out of pocket much at all since the value shouldn't change much, provided you can buy one at a fair price and then sell it at a fair price.

unfortunately there are no used ones available because they are really expensive here and professionals would try and use them until they are fully dead. We do not have the luxury to keep updating our machines unfortunately. And buying from overseas would incur custom charges and even long waiting delivery. I would love to go to back to Windows however, I am tied to the Mac ecosystem as I use XCode, Logic Pro and Final Cut.

by the way, thanks for your time writing and suggesting me options. I really do appreciate it.

feels bad when there’s nothing you can do about it only to just sit and wait helplessly.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I agree that a switch to an alternative platform would probably be a wise idea (yes, I did see where you're using Mac specific software). It may take some time and cost a little but in the long run it's probably worth it.

IME Apple has been pretty good about repairing their products. By this I mean they've been helpful in resolving issues I've had with my Apple products. Even replacing out of warranty items at no cost. However they do seem to drop the ball, especially with those products deemed to have defects (sometimes taking class action lawsuits to resolve). As a vendor they do a great job but I'm not sure I would want to commit my business to them given their support infrastructure appears to be lacking.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I'm not placing any blame on you @maplingstorie, but you should consider that maybe your AC power is not normalized, that's death to sensitive electronics equipment, and I highly recomend you consider the purchase of a very good UPS.

That having been said, you experience with the Apple Authorized Service Provider is completely unacceptable, Apple should be buying you new Macs for life at this point.

Seems Apple has a long way to go with customer service in Malaysia.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
unfortunately there are no used ones available because they are really expensive here and professionals would try and use them until they are fully dead. We do not have the luxury to keep updating our machines unfortunately. And buying from overseas would incur custom charges and even long waiting delivery. I would love to go to back to Windows however, I am tied to the Mac ecosystem as I use XCode, Logic Pro and Final Cut.

by the way, thanks for your time writing and suggesting me options. I really do appreciate it.

feels bad when there’s nothing you can do about it only to just sit and wait helplessly.

Hi Bryan. Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience on Switch’s poor service. 4 months wait is totally unacceptable. Since Switch is an Apple Reseller, you can try reaching out to the Apple Store in Singapore and explain your problem. Unless I’m wrong, the Singapore Apple Store oversees and evaluates all resellers’ performance in the South East Asian region. I think the Apple Store can reprimand a reseller if there are signs of poor customer service and repair support. For the time being, maybe you can request for Switch to loan you a temporary Mac computer so you continue with your work. It does not have to be a Mac Pro and point out that you’ve waited for ages on the repair. Hope the reseller gets it done soon.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Hi Bryan. Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience on Switch’s poor service. 4 months wait is totally unacceptable. Since Switch is an Apple Reseller, you can try reaching out to the Apple Store in Singapore and explain your problem. Unless I’m wrong, the Singapore Apple Store oversees and evaluates all resellers’ performance in the South East Asian region. I think the Apple Store can reprimand a reseller if there are signs of poor customer service and repair support. For the time being, maybe you can request for Switch to loan you a temporary Mac computer so you continue with your work. It does not have to be a Mac Pro and point out that you’ve waited for ages on the repair. Hope the reseller gets it done soon.

I have made many calls and managed to reach Apple Support Australia and Singapore. I even spoke with the highest authority level of support and all I got was an apology and a “this is unacceptable and I understand how you feel” for hours and hours on the phone trying to work out other solutions and options but still in the end the, all the same result like “we’ll repair and replace until it works”. or “we’ll send a new one”.

also coming to your suggestion, it is highly unlikely for them to lend me a temporary Mac. if they could, they would have done so few months ago. however, i’ll give it a shot with them tomorrow but it’s a little bit too late now from my end. thanks!

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Update:
will do.. and seriously, thank you for empathy.
Hi keysonanxiey. I've emailed Tim and to my surprise, some person named Eymard Arroyo, an executive relations from Apple, he replied the email and called me on the 24th and said that he'll look into my case for me. It has been 4 days since, no calls on any update whatever. No news from Switch regarding my repair, no AppleCare Support to call and follow up.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Update 2:

Got a call from Apple. Still will need to wait for the parts (since last Thursday) to arrive (hopefully) next Monday (3/9/2018)

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
It appears Apple does not have sufficient resources available in your area to handle problems within a reasonable period of time. If at all possible you should consider moving to a platform / vendor who has the resources in place to address issues in a timely manner.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
It's sad to hear you had so many computer issues. But of all my Macs over the past 22 years, only 1 has ever had any significant problems requiring repair at a facility. My Macs have lasted for many years, getting upgraded along the way and continuing to work. I'm more than pleased with build quality, and even used/refurb machines have worked great. Sometimes some machines are just lemons (as we say).

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Update 3:

Apple will be refunding me back my money I used to purchase the Mac Pro 2013. Case closed. Anyone looking for a used 12 Core Xeon and 1TB PCI-e SSD ?

Reactions: frou

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
It looks as if Apple stepped up and did good by you. Unfortunately you're still left with a non-functional unit and cannot get your work done. What is your plan going forward?

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
You can get a ton of money for that SSD from the right buyer.
hopefully I can find the right buyer
[doublepost=1535561419][/doublepost]
It looks as if Apple stepped up and did good by you. Unfortunately you're still left with a non-functional unit and cannot get your work done. What is your plan going forward?
It was either a refund or continue to fix until it works. I chose to ask for a refund even after all these months of waiting. I honestly expected a better solution after everything I had to go through. And I'd probably get another Mac to finish my project then return it within the 14 days period. And from there, I can start to look for an alternative. It's a shame though that it had to end this way. But it made me realise how much Apple actually cares.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.