Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
He's very aware of the risks of running a developer beta.

He's also very aware that his audience has a higher tendency to install betas on their devices so he passes along his experiences. Sure, he'll do it sometimes with click-bait-y titles, but do not for one second think that he's clueless about what it means to put a dev beta on his device.

His video states otherwise. It's a whiny gripe about iOS 12 'breaking' his apps, despite the fact he's only now on this situation due to his own incompetence.

Reactions: Starship67

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
His video states otherwise. It's a whiny gripe about iOS 12 'breaking' his apps, despite the fact he's only now on this situation due to his own incompetence.

I’ve watched a lot of his videos. That’s just the way he talks. In many videos he talks about the risks of betas, especially early ones.

This isn’t a whiny gripe. It’s a cautionary communique.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
So all the other things aside, are people encountering issues with apps that were working fine initially and then started to malfunction after some time for no reason essentially?

Maybe stuff beaks with subsequent betas, but I've not heard of it happening within a single beta release.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
There seems to be a huge difference in developer betas in regards to Android and ios. Android betas feel fluid and like a final build, while ios (final or beta builds) feel like an alpha build with bugs galore.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
There seems to be a huge difference in developer betas in regards to Android and ios. Android betas feel fluid and like a final build, while ios (final or beta builds) feel like an alpha build with bugs galore.
I smell a troll here. I don't know if Android change since then, but when I wanted to try it with my Nexus 7 (2013 version) it was great and all, but it was no way as fluid and touch responsive as iOS to me.

Back to topic, I agree that this guy have great informative videos and I like him generally. Thats why I said he's just dropping the ball on this one and it's not representative compared of the other videos of the channel. He do a great job of showing all the changes on new iOS versions. He's not perfect, but its not the typical youtuber that just want to be cool. He just love Apple product and it shows.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
"Fun" generalized stereotypes, especially in the face of the experience of many with the first iOS 12 beta so far.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This guy is a cheater on many Android vs iOS speed tests. His latest video had him disabling animations in iPhone but not on One Plus so that the iPhone would win because it had lost in the normal speed test. But I like the guy's videos.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
This is out of character for everythingapplepro. His videos are usually really positive in regards to Apple and even giddy about Apple releases. I don’t think he needs clickbait videos at this point he has close to 6 million subscribers

Yeah, that's why this video surprised me as well.

Would like to know what he's done to fix this.

Reboot?
Delete the apps and reinstall?
Reset all settings?
Wipe and Restore the phone?
Reinstall iOS via REIboot which preserves all data?
Update one of his other dozens of iPhone X to 12b1 and restore backup to that one?

Etc... This is out of character for him. The only thing I usually don't like about his channel is the endless rumor mill and fake renders of possible future products.
[doublepost=1528525179][/doublepost]
This guy is a cheater on many Android vs iOS speed tests. His latest video had him disabling animations in iPhone but not on One Plus so that the iPhone would win because it had lost in the normal speed test. But I like the guy's videos.

If I recall from memory, he still gave the win to the other phone.

Reactions: bigjnyc

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

I went in thinking I was going to be horribly annoyed, but it wasn’t that bad.

Didn’t really think he came across whinny and never once blamed the beta.

He knew the risks and is just letting others know (who may not be as savvy) not to update yet.

And normally I’m someone who hates these kinds of videos. But it wasn’t as bad as others say.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
what an absolute loser LOL

installs developer beta, complains theres bugs which developers still need to fix.

report him for installing a dev beta without a dev account (presuming)

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
What confuses me more is that there actually are people who pay for a developer account (not beeing a developer and with no knowledge what so ever of coding) just to install what they expect to be the latest and greatest iOS.

These people are so naive that they don’t even wait for the public beta.

I truly enjoy laughing at these people when things do get messy for them and their iPhones don’t work.

The guy in the video has fake intentions with his video since he obviously is only looking for clicks and personal attention—truly sad!

–Stay away from developer betas if you are not a developer!

–Stay away from public betas if you are not in for having a bumby ride!

Stop trying to make money out of naive people who can’t stick to these two general rules.

Reactions: rafark

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Hey, I seen him......That guy was rummaging through the tossed bags of kitty litter I threw out last night!
[doublepost=1528563630][/doublepost]
ONE BILLION NEW FEATURES L@@K

Feature 1: the text is now more bold
I hear you, and agree
If I read one more “does everything better” in an update article, I’m gonna boot up my iMac g4 igloo and use that until December!
/Or I can stop reading about Mojave and iOS’s 12.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Those aren’t speed tests. I don’t understand why people refer to them as such.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
what an absolute loser LOL

installs developer beta, complains theres bugs which developers still need to fix.

report him for installing a dev beta without a dev account (presuming)

See my post #25 above.

He has a dev account. He posts LOTS of videos covering early betas, public betas, public releases, speed test differences, and so on. He even crawls through almost every interface of every stock app/settings/etc, checks out swipes/gestures/button behavior and finds even the most trivial differences between them. As an example, he posted this video yesterday:

He's exceptionally thorough.

People are really taking the "don't install iOS 12" video the wrong way. How many times do we hear on these forums regular folks shouldn't install betas, especially early dev betas. His video essentially supports that sentiment showing some of the very real risks. He continues to be very positive about iOS 12, he was simply warning people that installing an early dev beta does come with risk.

And as I said in my earlier post, he's been posting vids for over 9 years and has over 5.6 million subscribers and specializes in these OS releases ... he's not some clueless dork complaining that a dev build dorked up his phone and is confused why.

Last edited:

axari

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
See my post #25 above.

He has a dev account. He posts LOTS of videos covering early betas, public betas, public releases, speed test differences, and so on. He even crawls through almost every interface of every stock app/settings/etc, checks out swipes/gestures/button behavior and finds even the most trivial differences between them. As an example, he posted this video yesterday:

He's exceptionally thorough.

People are really taking the "don't install iOS 12" video the wrong way. How many times do we hear on these forums regular folks shouldn't install betas, especially early dev betas. His video essentially supports that sentiment showing some of the very real risks. He continues to be very positive about iOS 12, he was simply warning people that installing an early dev beta does come with risk.

And as I said in my earlier post, he's been posting vids for over 9 years and has over 5.6 million subscribers and specializes in these OS releases ... he's not some clueless dork complaining that a dev build dorked up his phone and is confused why.
You think he warned just Developer for Beta 1? means "Do NOT Update to iOS 12 [Dev Beta 1]! Why I Regret it"

Reactions: -BigMac-

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
His video starts that way but quickly regresses into a childish immature rant about how nothing works on his daily driver and that, because he screwed up his backup by overlaying it with one from iOS 12, that he's now stuck with it unless he does a full factory reset and starts from scratch.

That's the biggest issue I have with him.
I usually enjoy his videos, but the issue I took with this one is that he hasn't lost everything because his backup is gone...iOS 11.4 backs up everything bar on-device settings to a separate cloud space to the full device backup. This is the whole point of iCloud photo library, messages in iCloud, contacts in iCloud, notes, reminders, calendars in iCloud, Siri in iCloud, health data in iCloud and so on.

I could Wipe my device right now and set up as new and still have everything important. The on thing I'd have to do is adjust my phone settings again and re-download my apps. Literally everything is saved irrespective of whether you back up. Being the massive apple fan he is, I'm 100% sure he already knows this.

So in reality, this video is clickbait.

Reactions: Marshall73

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
You think he warned just Developer for Beta 1? means "Do NOT Update to iOS 12 [Dev Beta 1]! Why I Regret it"

He makes his living doing videos, which require people watch the videos. So, yeah, sometimes the titles are a little click-bait-y, but, really, that's such a trivial thing to get worked up about. :)

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Those aren’t speed tests. I don’t understand why people refer to them as such.
They are speed tests as they reflect real world usage like RAM, launch times etc. Benchmarks aren't the only way of measuring speed. For instance Chrome scores higher in almost every test but I find Edge much more smoother in the real world on a Precision Touchpad.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I don’t consider them speed tests. They reflect anecdotal usage of serial app openings.
And RAM management and many of the apps he tested are amongst the most downloaded on the store. I open apps all day on my phone. That's the purpose of a smartphone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And RAM management and many of the apps he tested are amongst the most downloaded on the store. I open apps all day on my phone. That's the purpose of a smartphone.
We all open apps all day. But generally at least for me, I open an app to do something. I open the email app look at my emails. Then a minute later use Safari. Then open the wsj. I have never seen anybody in the real world trying to open as many apps as possible in the shortest amount of time...only on Youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.