Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
This guy is a cheater on many Android vs iOS speed tests. His latest video had him disabling animations in iPhone but not on One Plus so that the iPhone would win because it had lost in the normal speed test. But I like the guy's videos.

That’s not true. He proclaimed the OnePlus the winner and gave them props. He did show the glitch that makes the iPHone faster just as an FYI.

After watching his iOS 12 warning I got a little worried. But iOS 12 has been pretty good on my devices. Very few problems so far. And it’s been the best Beta 1 by far.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Another moron with a YouTube account who doesn't have the first clue as to why Apple release these developer betas...:rolleyes:

He is actually well known in the youtube world with 5.7million subscribers which is huge. It isn't just some moron.
[doublepost=1528669712][/doublepost]
I mean Apple never sends him anything despite him being pro Apple.

Apple doesn't even send ijustine anything and she is extremely popular.
[doublepost=1528669812][/doublepost]
This guy is a cheater on many Android vs iOS speed tests. His latest video had him disabling animations in iPhone but not on One Plus so that the iPhone would win because it had lost in the normal speed test. But I like the guy's videos.

Evidence? I have never seen him cheat.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Running iOS 12 Beta 1 since day one and I’ve yet to encounter a single bug/crash.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
And what I don't get is why he installs it on his daily driver when it SPECIFICALLY says in the update page for the beta to install it on a secondary device. Installing a dev beta 1 on your daily driver and then complaining about it is just sad...

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
It's blatant clickbait and he's not really worth listening to if he doesn't think to backup properly before using a beta......

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
It's blatant clickbait and he's not really worth listening to if he doesn't think to backup properly before using a beta......

He does. He didn't explain how he accidentally clobbered his backup, but he did mention it was an accidental deletion of his backup.

With the number of iOS variants he tests, and the sheer number of devices he tests them on (all the way back to the 5S, including the SE), I don't find it that much of a stretch that he'd accidentally munge up his backup.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
He does. He didn't explain how he accidentally clobbered his backup, but he did mention it was an accidental deletion of his backup.

With the number of iOS variants he tests, and the sheer number of devices he tests them on (all the way back to the 5S, including the SE), I don't find it that much of a stretch that he'd accidentally munge up his backup.

I test multiple variants for work, some I use on a daily basis. I never lose a backup, as I always ensure it’s secure before I go to a new beta.

If anything, handling many variants and devices makes you more careful to make sure your backup is secured.

Anyone that doesn’t secure their backup, when supposedly being a ‘pro’ like him, is not a pro.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I test multiple variants for work, some I use on a daily basis. I never lose a backup, as I always ensure it’s secure before I go to a new beta.

If anything, handling many variants and devices makes you more careful to make sure your backup is secured.

Anyone that doesn’t secure their backup, when supposedly being a ‘pro’ like him, is not a pro.

I'm glad you've never made a mistake.

I've made plenty.

Several years ago, one late morning, the day before a last-minute massive deadline, after a coding binge of over 32 hours, I accidentally deleted a .c file (while cleaning up various debugging logic I didn't need in there anymore) that contained the majority of the work I'd been cranking out. I hadn't done any checkpoint checkins, and had nothing in the way of backups. This was on a linux VM running on my OS X host. I was beyond exhausted, did not have time to recreate everything I'd done over the last day and a half, and even if I did, probably didn't have the mental endurance to do it alll ... over... again... without face planting on my keyboard.

At this point in my career, I'd been a professional software developer for approximately 18 years, and my resume showed a decade and a half string of very demanding projects. There is no one that would've doubted my credentials as a 'pro'. And yet, due to at least a pair of failings on my part, I'd just deleted a ton of work I couldn't afford to delete. If the guy in this video, who’s been doing this for 9.5 years, accidentally clobbered his backup, I'm certainly not going to fault him, call him names, or suggest he doesn't know what he's doing. We all screw up from time to time. Well, maybe not you. :)

As an addendum, after I deleted that file, and after spending some time writing some emergency code that would walk the raw device in an attempt to find the left-over data on there (in Unix at least, deleting a file doesn't really delete the data, it essentially just removes the inode from various inode tables ... effectively rendering it 'gone'. The data is still there, but is free to be overwritten at any point), until I came up with a faster (better?) idea: this was a VM running on my OS X host ... which means there were very large files sitting on my OS X box that represented the 'VM' as a whole. I ran a grep against those files for a string I knew would be in that .c file, and got few hits. Opened one of those massive binary files, found the data, wrote it out to a tmp file and, voila, saved my own ass. Whew! You can guarantee I checked that file in asap.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I’m not having the apps crashing issue he’s having, but there’s enough minor things not working properly that add up to a crummy experience. I’m sticking with 11.4 for now.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm glad you've never made a mistake.

I've made plenty.

Several years ago, one late morning, the day before a last-minute massive deadline, after a coding binge of over 32 hours, I accidentally deleted a .c file (while cleaning up various debugging logic I didn't need in there anymore) that contained the majority of the work I'd been cranking out. I hadn't done any checkpoint checkins, and had nothing in the way of backups. This was on a linux VM running on my OS X host. I was beyond exhausted, did not have time to recreate everything I'd done over the last day and a half, and even if I did, probably didn't have the mental endurance to do it alll ... over... again... without face planting on my keyboard.

At this point in my career, I'd been a professional software developer for approximately 18 years, and my resume showed a decade and a half string of very demanding projects. There is no one that would've doubted my credentials as a 'pro'. And yet, due to at least a pair of failings on my part, I'd just deleted a ton of work I couldn't afford to delete. If the guy in this video, whose been doing this for 9.5 years, accidentally clobbered his backup, I'm certainly not going to fault him, call him names, or suggest he doesn't know what he's doing. We all screw up from time to time. Well, maybe not you. :)

As an addendum, after I deleted that file, and after spending some time writing some emergency code that would walk the raw device in an attempt to find the left-over data on there (in Unix at least, deleting a file doesn't really delete the data, it essentially just removes the inode from various inode tables ... effectively rendering it 'gone'. The data is still there, but is free to be overwritten at any point), until I came up with a faster (better?) idea: this was a VM running on my OS X host ... which means there were very large files sitting on my OS X box that represented the 'VM' as a whole. I ran a grep against those files for a string I knew would be in that .c file, and got few hits. Opened one of those massive binary files, found the data, wrote it out to a tmp file and, voila, saved my own ass. Whew! You can guarantee I checked that file in asap.

Never said I’ve never made a mistake, everyone has in some regard. If you’re testing a new OS, the first simple thing you do is to do a backup and secure it.

You’re a professional, he is a YouTube attention seeker masquerading as a ‘pro’, with an asinine video with a ridiculous headline to get clicks. From what you’ve said, I’m surprised someone like you would be defending him.

A pro wouldn’t make a video like that.

There are other videos out there, with better, more constructive and well thought out content for issues with iOS 12, other that ‘I’m a professional, but I wasn’t clever enough to secure my backup before upgrading.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
- he says he accidentally overwriting his iOS 11 back up with iOS 12 one. Everyone knows that before installing any beta, archive your back up to be sure it won’t be overwhritted and being able to restore at anytime without losing anything.

This! I installed on my daily driver X and didn’t like a couple of things not working as well in the first beta. Rolled back to my archived backup on 11.4 and didn’t lose a thing. That’s what you get for jumping in right after the keynote ends.

Reactions: max2

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
You’re a professional, he is a YouTube attention seeker masquerading as a ‘pro’, with an asinine video with a ridiculous headline to get clicks. From what you’ve said, I’m surprised someone like you would be defending him.

I've admitted his title had a splash of click-bait. I just don't seem to get riled up by the same things other people seem to. I don't care if the title is click-bait. I do care if a video has content I'm interested in and that it's presented accurately enough to get the important bits. In this specific case, he was showing the mess iOS 12, dev beta 1, made of his phone. That's a data point I appreciate. I also found it interesting, that in spite of that, he was still a big fan of iOS 12.

For the most part, I find his videos to have a pretty decent signal/noise ratio. He covers all the minutia that differ from one version to another, does basic performance runs (not terribly scientific, but entertaining (for me) to watch and mildly instructive). He also started doing water depth tests that are actually pretty reasonable once iPhones started being rated for water resistance.

It's less of a hard defense, it's more of a "I really don't care that the title was click bait-y. I also really don't care if he munged up his backup" ... neither of those have any relevance to the point of the video which was that iOS 12 started getting funky on his phone after a few days.

Many of my posts here were also pointing out that he is absolutely aware of risks of putting beta builds on his devices. Others are suggesting he was not aware since he screwed up his backup, or because he went through the trouble of showing us what it did to his phone (which others took as 'whining'). I have no idea how many of his videos I've watched ... a lot. My assertion that he's aware of the risk comes from watching him warn, many times, that putting beta builds on your phone can be risky; so, obviously he's aware.

I watch a lot of youtube videos. And, yes, some of the youtubers out there are quite egregious with their titles, and some are a bit overly sensational. I supposed I've become a bit inured to those things; they really don't bother me if the content is something I'm generally interested in. Gives me more videos to watch without getting pissed off! :)

Reactions: Surrix

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Has anyone considered the "update" method from the latest 11.4 IPSW? Then no backup needed (could cause a mess, but I have done before with no real issues).

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
There a lot of people just trying to make a living on u tube lol
So click that button and remember to like and subscribe lol
So tired of this stuff.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
There a lot of people just trying to make a living on u tube lol
So click that button and remember to like and subscribe lol
So tired of this stuff.
And don’t forget to click the bell to get notified when a new video is uploaded :D

Reactions: MrGuder

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
The same story every year...people install the beta that have no business doing so. This one just happens to be using it as a fake sob story to drive traffic to his channel (he knows marketing and click bait).

Makes me long for the days when you had to register your UDID so only the correct people had access to it.
(Yes people circumvented it but there was risk in doing so.)

And no, not everyone should be entitled to install it. It is a *developer* beta after all. Don’t even get me started on the public beta.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I smell a troll here

Yup, their posting history confirms they're a Fandroid.

He is actually well known in the youtube world with 5.7million subscribers which is huge. It isn't just some moron.

Since when did viewer numbers equate to quality? He's a moron because he's not a developer, and at no point did he stress to the viewers that he had no 'right' installing d developer build on his daily driver.

He's a moron because he barely references the fact it's the very first beta until well into half the video (2:20).

He's a moron because he says you may loose data going to iOS 12 (no, you lose it because you blow away your backup).

He's a moron because he did delete his backup.

And he's a moron because of these words right at the start of the video "Do not update to iOS 12. That's the basic takeaway from this video". The mindless sheep that stumble upon this video who think he's knowledgeable will see that, then take it and run with it, even after iOS 12 is fully released.

All he had to do was label the video correctly, start off emphasizing that the video was only about the first developer release and that version only, and delete the whine about backups, and he might have been ok.

But he didn't because he's a clueless moron.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hyperbole and aside, did he accurately describe what the iOS 12 beta contains and what it doesn't?

I know it is popular to say, "hey moron, that's why the call it a "beta"! stupid clickbait." But when is the socially acceptable TIME to raise concerns about the functionality or lack thereof? During beta or after general release? And what is the socially acceptable WAY to raise the concerns? Generally speaking, Apple is more likely to respond to attention-getting headlines/videos than when they are quietly approached...particularly when it is a deliberate decision (rather than an accidental mistake)

For example. In iOS 10, the widget screen had 2 columns of widgets when in landscape mode. In iOS 11, Apple changed it to a single column. When I raised the issue when it was in beta, I was told by others, "don't worry, it's beta, let them know, they'll fix it before it goes live.". I did, they didn't.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
That YouTuber gives me a headache. I unsubscribed from his videos months ago because I couldn't tolerate him anymore.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hyperbole and aside, did he accurately describe what the iOS 12 beta contains and what it doesn't?

I know it is popular to say, "hey moron, that's why the call it a "beta"! stupid clickbait." But when is the socially acceptable TIME to raise concerns about the functionality or lack thereof? During beta or after general release? And what is the socially acceptable WAY to raise the concerns? Generally speaking, Apple is more likely to respond to attention-getting headlines/videos than when they are quietly approached...particularly when it is a deliberate decision (rather than an accidental mistake)

For example. In iOS 10, the widget screen had 2 columns of widgets when in landscape mode. In iOS 11, Apple changed it to a single column. When I raised the issue when it was in beta, I was told by others, "don't worry, it's beta, let them know, they'll fix it before it goes live.". I did, they didn't.

Public beta's at the minimum, and even then NOT in a hyperbolic clickbaitish fashion. And he didn't explain much of anything apart from whine about how unstable it was.

The Developer beta is there for one reason and one reason only; for app developers to get a first look on how THEIR apps work on the new iOS and to fix issues they find as a result. And that's it.

It's not there for the general public to install, then bitch and complain how unstable it is.

The public beta's are designed to let everyone else have a chance to see how things are, but with the caveat that it's a beta and, at any point in time it could crash & burn and take your apps, your life-partner, the dogs, the cute family gerbil you named 'Gerald' and also pee all over the carpet as it left.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Must work + beta = fail, always.

This guy pays his bills from YouTube clicks because he's too stupid to have a real job.

In response to tracer (who is most certainly NOT an idiot, quite the contrary) I would say that the beta is clearly the time to point out problems. That's the whole point. I'm having a lot of fun with the beta on one of my two iPads, but I would never put a beta on my must-work iPhone, and most certainly not .1 version. Complaining about things that are broken in a beta totally misses the point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.