Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Like Tim Cook?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

johnb300m

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Concerning the mini, this is no surprise. It only represented about 3% of total iPhone production when it was released, and it’s even worse with the 14 Plus, except in China. Production being cut down by 40%, I don’t expect it to live again more than 2 years before disappearing too.
Good point.
I'm a 12S mini owner. I love it.
I'm dissapointed they're discontinuing the mini platform.
But not because "GrRrRrrrr ApPlE, StUpId tIm." I'm more annoyed with the customer base. Apparently, lots of people like bigger phones. And to quote Greg Focker, apparently, in a crazy scheme to make a profit, Apple will stop selling what didn't sell. So I'll hold on to my mini as long as I can. And when I need to upgrade, I guess I'll get a "normal people size" phone again, and a grippy case for it.

Reactions: Argoduck and Kwikyy

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
Why is this even being asked? Unless a person is a stockholder, the answer to this question does not matter. If a person is a stockholder, then this is not the place for a stockholder's input. Come on MacRumors family. We are above this kind of stuff.

Reactions: Argoduck

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

Oh look another in a long line of decisions that make me hate Tim Cook.

It's something almost daily now that shows he's a greedy bastard without any of the vision of Steve.

oink_oink

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2022
You nailed it! Their slavish adherence to Lightning for this long is but one symptom of the larger disease.

Reactions: imdog

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Although I dislike a lot about Apple I like Tim Cook.

The world gives too much credit and fame to idiots just because they are flashy or loud while always dismissing constant, relentless and quality work. Which is just what Cook does.

Yeah, the F1 thing was cringy. If he doesn't enjoy that they should have found someone else.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
1) Lots (and lots and lots) of people criticized Steve Jobs over his entire career.

2) After being outmaneuvered as CEO of Apple in 1985 Steve was/wasn’t fired from Apple but IF he decided to leave they said they would help him pack.

3) After Jobs, Apple had a series of good ideas that were too soon to work (Newton) and they also joined a consortium (IBM, Motorola, Apple) to make a CPU called “Power PC”, also a good idea that was before it’s time. The PowerPC was more expensive and couldn’t use Windows programs, so Apple was losing ground to x86 based computers and the company is on very shaky ground.

4) Jobs is rehired and soon became Apple’s CEO.

The point is that Jobs either got fired in 1985 or he willingly left (Steve said he was fired) because of the high cost of the Macintosh computer and also it’s inability to use DOS and eventually Windows based software. When he came back he wasn’t universally admired or thought to be a business guru and at that time (late 1990’s) most people expected Apple to fail.

This Steve Jobs can do no wrong belief ignores the turbulent history of Apple including the decisions he was responsible for in the mid 1980’s and just how close Apple was to going under. When he came back he had learned a lot from his first run at Apple and also the mistakes he made at NeXT, and the 3rd time was a charm.

And by the way, Jobs was rehired by Apple in 1997. He hired Tim Cook in 1998.

I don’t think either Jobs or Cook are perfect.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
1) Lots (and lots and lots) of people criticized Steve Jobs over his entire career.

2) After being outmaneuvered as CEO of Apple in 1985 Steve was/wasn’t fired from Apple but IF he decided to leave they said they would help him pack.

3) After Jobs, Apple had a series of good ideas that were too soon to work (Newton) and they also joined a consortium (IBM, Motorola, Apple) to make a CPU called “Power PC”, also a good idea that was before it’s time. The PowerPC was more expensive and couldn’t use Windows programs, so Apple was losing ground to x86 based computers and the company is on very shaky ground.

4) Jobs is rehired and soon became Apple’s CEO.

The point is that Jobs either got fired in 1985 or he willingly left (Steve said he was fired) because of the high cost of the Macintosh computer and also it’s inability to use DOS and eventually Windows based software. When he came back he wasn’t universally admired or thought to be a business guru and at that time (late 1990’s) most people expected Apple to fail.

This Steve Jobs can do no wrong belief ignores the turbulent history of Apple including the decisions he was responsible for in the mid 1980’s and just how close Apple was to going under. When he came back he had learned a lot from his first run at Apple and also the mistakes he made at NeXT, and the 3rd time was a charm.

And by the way, Jobs was rehired by Apple in 1997. He hired Tim Cook in 1998.

I don’t think either Jobs or Cook are perfect.
To even mention the two in the same breath is preposterous
Steve Jobs is one of the top 30 most important figures in the history of the planet. Tim Crook is a barefoot bandit who will be remembered as one of the many thieves of his day, he will probably be forgotten in 100 years unless he is put on trial for his crimes against humanity. Steve Jobs will be talked about in hundreds of years in the same vein as Da Vinci, Tesla, Edison, etc

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Steve Jobs is one of the top 30 most important figures in the history of the planet. Tim Crook is a barefoot bandit who will be remembered as one of the many thieves of his day, he will probably be forgotten in 100 years unless he is put on trial for his crimes against humanity. Steve Jobs will be talked about in hundreds of years in the same vein as Da Vinci, Tesla, Edison, etc
It is incredible to watch this delusion of yours unfold that Cook is some thief that is going to be jailed. I have no substantive input here outside of the fact that you're entitled to your opinion no matter how misguided and ridiculous it may be, and this obsession is unhealthy and very clearly is troubling you.

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
To be honest I’m indifferent. He’s easily replaceable imo so I suppose that says it all. Besides Tim is all about a team approach. Whatever happens at apple is a result of that, not so much the result of any Tim Cook vision. His main job is to keep those beats going each quarter.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Oh. Come. On. You're comparing Tim Apple to Pol Pot, Hitler, Idi Amin etc.? FFS

Piplodocus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
There's been plenty of mistakes under Tim Cook, but you'd have to be wearing very rose-tinted glasses to ignore loads of terrible decisions Apple also made under Steve Jobs. They're further in the past though so everyone forgets them. Various good stuff has happened too under Cook.

If they were that bad I'd be sporting a lovely new Windows laptop as of last year and have a Samsung S22 or Pixel by now. There's plenty of other quality options out there if Apple annoy me enough and much as I *generally* like Apple I'm not a blind fanboy. I don't have to use any Apple stuff. All my software licenses run cross-platform except phone apps and swapping phone OS wouldn't be that much of a loss based on what apps I use regularly. So every time I upgrade anything I always have a seriopus look at what the competition has. I always give Apple the hard time they deserve but the praise for what they get right.

Some stuff is all just personal opinion-based too, not factual. I was chuckling to myself only 2 days ago when I was daydreaming and noticed the notch on my 16" MacBook for the first time in ages. I was remembering all the haters at the time and was thinking about how well I actually gained screen real-estate/got more *usable* screen in a smaller laptop by effectively moving my menu bar out of the normal 16:10 usable area. I wasn't convinced on very first look but it was clearly the best decision to add a menu-bars thickness of extra screen each side of my webcam. Loads of people moaned at the time, but weirdly somehow had little to say about the dynamic island on the new phone being more obvious, disconnected and impinging nearer the middle of the screen than the old notch visually. To me that makes less sense, but I haven't got one so can't really have a proper opinion without test-driving one for a few days.

You have the joy of living in a capitalist society, so you can vote with your wallet. If you don't like Tim, the way his company is run, or the products they currently make, just don't buy any! Simple!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nope. Sorry. https://ideas.time.com/2013/12/10/whos-biggest-the-100-most-significant-figures-in-history/

Big Alsie

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
But it's every series 3 in the world
I have a series 3 that I was able to update with 8.7.1. Took forever to complete, but it works fine...although it is showing its age. I would still put in a claim, you have nothing to lose. Also, they'll probably give you a newer series watch if they cannot source a series 3 to replace yours.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
I have a series 3 that I was able to update with 8.7.1. Took forever to complete, but it works fine...although it is showing its age. I would still put in a claim, you have nothing to lose. Also, they'll probably give you a newer series watch if they cannot source a series 3 to replace yours.
They released a fix, but it did brick every Series 3 in the world before iOS 16.1, you can look it up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.