Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case on your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 906 66.6%
  • Yes, but will be removing it

Votes: 57 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 304 22.3%
  • No, but will be getting one

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 85 6.2%

• Total voters

ekucukoglu

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2022
I have a FineWoven case, evergreen. No screen protector.

Dropped my iPhone 15 Pro from chest height in the elevator (to rubber floor). There is literally no physical damage neither on the case nor the phone. Not sure about internal damage, though (my paranoia). Not any issue so far.

The FineWoven case is great btw, if you know how to use it of course. One month old, no damage, no stain, nothing. After 2 years of use (never dropped, never put with anything else in my pockets etc.) leather case on my 13 Pro looked exactly like a garbage. Everyone, like e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e, was complaining about leather cases last year (actually last three years, since iPhone 12 leather cases). So now, it is just funny that people like “Bring back leather Apple, that cases were great!!!!!!!”. Weird.

Anyway, I think all Apple cases are really protective btw. What do you think?

Last edited:

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
After 2 years of use (never dropped, never put with anything else in my pockets etc.) leather case on my 13 Pro looked exactly like a garbage. Everyone, like e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e, was complaining about leather cases last year (actually last three years, since iPhone 12 leather cases). So now, it is just funny that people like “Bring back leather Apple, that cases were great!!!!!!!”. Weird.

Same. I baby all of electronics and had an Apple Leather case on my 11 Pro Max. It looked horrible after a year. I even cleaned with leather conditioner.

For my 15 Pro Max I went with the Nomad Rugged and so far so good. Only a bit of extra thickness and it feels substantially more protective than the Apple leather. Plus, it looks a lot better in my outdoors use case.

If I need a better pocket fit for a formal event or meeting, I will just slip it out of the case.

Reactions: ekucukoglu

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2016
i always use a case. For me, I feel that the bare iPhone is very slippery i’m afraid that I’m gonna drop it. Plus I don’t really need to feel that I have to show off that I have a new iPhone either.
Same here, as I've gotten older my skin doesn't have the grip it used to have and everything is slipperier. Even using lotion multiple times a day doesn't help. I know if I didn't have a case on my phone it would be toast in no time.

Reactions: Jgboys1 and ToddH

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Which dbrand is this?

I don’t want any cases as 15 is already oversized for my hand, but I think a skin can help with 1) grip for the sides and 2) avoid small annoying scratches. So far the best that I can come up with is Slickwraps glossy sides. Dbrand leather for back looks interesting.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Which dbrand is this?

I don’t want any cases as 15 is already oversized for my hand, but I think a skin can help with 1) grip for the sides and 2) avoid small annoying scratches. So far the best that I can come up with is Slickwraps glossy sides. Dbrand leather for back looks interesting.

Mine is the matte black. They changed the material they use and it's fantastic. Much softer and has much more grip to it. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: verity

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
2.5 Months since I got the 15 Pro and went caseless.
No issues, 2 drops (both on wooden floor), no scratches
AC+ active, just in case.

+ I have the magsafe wallet which gives a somehow better grip + rises the phone so it doesn't sit on camera

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
2.5 Months since I got the 15 Pro and went caseless.
No issues, 2 drops (both on wooden floor), no scratches
AC+ active, just in case.

+ I have the magsafe wallet which gives a somehow better grip + rises the phone so it doesn't sit on camera

Magsafe wallet is really useful to improve grip when running caseless. The best was with my 12 mini: the width of the wallet was the same of the mini, perfect matching to improve use with one hand.

Reactions: ebika and AVBeatMan

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I am testing not using a case, at least for now with 15 Pro. My thinking is, if sharp metal scratches happen and it gets uncomfortable to hold, then some thin case may be an option. The accessories industry is huge with no help from me :)

For grip I added slickwraps glossy (sides only). After a fall on a tile floor, there is some damage to the skin. Phone underneath is fine. Oh well, skins like that are meant to be sacrificial layers. If it lasts a year, I'm happy.

IMG_0553.jpeg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am testing not using a case, at least for now with 15 Pro. My thinking is, if sharp metal scratches happen and it gets uncomfortable to hold, then some thin case may be an option. The accessories industry is huge with no help from me :)

For grip I added slickwraps glossy (sides only). After a fall on a tile floor, there is some damage to the skin. Phone underneath is fine. Oh well, skins like that are meant to be sacrificial layers. If it lasts a year, I'm happy.

View attachment 2323335
To me that actually looks fairly cool. Your device looks like it's being used as the tool it is. Beat up is never my intention with my own devices but normal wear over time is a look I appreciate.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Magsafe wallet is really useful to improve grip when running caseless. The best was with my 12 mini: the width of the wallet was the same of the mini, perfect matching to improve use with one hand.
Loved my iPhone mini 13 and want to buy another as a spare!

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Usually no.

But after many drunken nights and a many of broken phones, I relented and got one for my 15 pro max.

Dont ask me how, why or what...but once again, I got drunk with friends and somehow not only was my entire case gone but my phone is now broken on the back lol.

So i guess Cases are useless either way for me since i somehow manage to lose the case i had :p

• Haha
Reactions: Christopher Kim

Cunndies

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
Normally I do, but I picked up a 15 Plus yesterday and the case I ordered (a Mous super thin, which I’m curious to try out) hasn’t arrived yet. I have to say that the design tweaks, matte back/edges and the rounded corners make it feel really nice in the hand, so I think I’ll go back and forth between case/no case depending on the situation. With my 14 Pro I normally used a case but did take it off on occasion, but I didn’t have AC+ so I did slightly have the fear of dropping it.

Maybe I need to let that go though, as I’ve (touch wood) never actually cracked an iPhone in the nearly 15 years I’ve been using them. They’ve mostly been in cases, but not always, but I very rarely drop them. I’ll see how I get on this time with the bigger size, as I’ve not had a plus sized phone since the 7+.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Normally I do, but I picked up a 15 Plus yesterday and the case I ordered (a Mous super thin, which I’m curious to try out) hasn’t arrived yet. I have to say that the design tweaks, matte back/edges and the rounded corners make it feel really nice in the hand, so I think I’ll go back and forth between case/no case depending on the situation. With my 14 Pro I normally used a case but did take it off on occasion, but I didn’t have AC+ so I did slightly have the fear of dropping it.

Maybe I need to let that go though, as I’ve (touch wood) never actually cracked an iPhone in the nearly 15 years I’ve been using them. They’ve mostly been in cases, but not always, but I very rarely drop them. I’ll see how I get on this time with the bigger size, as I’ve not had a plus sized phone since the 7+.
In all my years of using phones without a case (including without AC/AC+) I have dropped a grand total of two sufficiently to merit replacement.

Every time I dropped a phone it was because I lost focus and was no longer paying attention to what I was doing. In both of the two drops that required replacement, I was ill at the time.

Just be mindful of your device and you'll be okay.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
In all my years of using phones without a case (including without AC/AC+) I have dropped a grand total of two sufficiently to merit replacement.

Every time I dropped a phone it was because I lost focus and was no longer paying attention to what I was doing. In both of the two drops that required replacement, I was ill at the time.

Just be mindful of your device and you'll be okay.
Not to brag, but seriously to your point, in all my years the only times my phone hit the ground was either when it was hit out of my hand or it fell off a surface like a chair. And my phones have never had any significant damage. Albeit all my phones have been small and therefore easier to hold securely, but the principle being, as you mentioned, if you’re reasonably mindful, then a case shouldn’t be all that necessary. That said, people are different with different lifestyles and levels of risk averse-ness etc, so some should have a case more than others. Personally, I really hate bulk so the most I think I will ever do is a skin for added grip.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not to brag, but seriously to your point, in all my years the only times my phone hit the ground was either when it was hit out of my hand or it fell off a surface like a chair. And my phones have never had any significant damage. Albeit all my phones have been small and therefore easier to hold securely, but the principle being, as you mentioned, if you’re reasonably mindful, then a case shouldn’t be all that necessary. That said, people are different with different lifestyles and levels of risk averse-ness etc, so some should have a case more than others. Personally, I really hate bulk so the most I think I will ever do is a skin for added grip.
I developed a bunch of 'rules' for myself that dictate where my phone goes and how I handle it depending on the situation I'm in. It becomes second nature and it allows me to carry my phones without cases. Those who have done this for awhile understand what I am getting at, but for most people it's just too much work. Slap on a case and forget about it.

I have dropped phones, it's just my likelihood of doing it is less. And to your point about others - my lifestyle and choice of occupation doesn't require a case. The majority of my day (including during work) my phones spend their time sitting in business card holders on my desk. I'm sure that if I had a physical job, I'd have a case (at least at work).

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I decided to buy a glass case for the back of the camera, and a nice case with screen protector, glad I did , because ever since I got to Melbourne a few days ago for my holiday, I dropped and hit my iPhone on the tram as I was trying to swindle against the Hurd of people who decided coming in and out of the tram.

So glad I did! Should have taken out cookie insurance. That didn't survive though. :(

Reactions: Andeddu

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I decided to buy a glass case for the back of the camera, and a nice case with screen protector, glad I did , because ever since I got to Melbourne a few days ago for my holiday, I dropped and hit my iPhone on the tram as I was trying to swindle against the Hurd of people who decided coming in and out of the tram.

So glad I did! Should have taken out cookie insurance. That didn't survive though. :(
My daughter hates cases, but after the way she messed up a once pristine iPhone 6s I'd given to her, I made her use a case when I got her an iPhone SE2.

Yesterday we're getting out of the car and what happens - her iPhone drops right on the concrete, face down. I don't use cases, but I do protect my investments. Her phone is in an Otterbox Defender Pro, so I wasn't worried (much).

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
15pro, still no case. My husband ordered a super thin iPhone 15pro case from peel, but eta is late January so we'll se if I like it and order one myself. I've tried a lot of different cases before and I always go back to no case, I like holding my phones without a case so much better.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I didnt use a case at first on my 14 Pro, but once it arrived in the mail on it went. I work in a metal fab shop, I ride my Segway in the winter.. sure sucks to fall. Anywhoo.. I still haven't bought AppleCare, for the first time in 12 years.. progress ;)

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Three Apple cases (two silicone and one leather) and one Spigen case later, I’m still rocking my 14 PM SB naked. Few minor scratches on the frame, but something that you really need to search to see. Once you go caseless it’s really difficult to came back to use any case, in my opinion.

Reactions: eyoungren

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Bullstrap portfoilio case. Been using them for years. They hold one credit card and my driver's license; haven't carried a wallet in a LONG time, and my right butt cheek is very grateful, LOL. Fantastic cases. I havne't found a portfolio case that is anywhere near as nice.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Just got the 15 jumping from 8-plus

What an amazing difference!

Have a Mous case coming tomorrow! I’m such a klutz and have a house of hardwood flooring. While I love the look of the phone I want solid protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.