Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I'm running iOS 14.2 on an iPhone 7 Plus and the location services hollow arrow icon still won't go away. Years ago I had this same issue but nothing I do now makes it go away, other than turning off location services. This icon shouldn't stay on 24/7, like it does now.

Tomcat1377

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2024
I phone 11 pro, had beta 4 and now public release. My location arrow on the upper left of the screen keeps coming on and going off with no apps open. No apps are showing persistent location usage in the privacy>location setting. This wasn’t happening with my XR, so I’m not sure if this is the phone or iOS. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.
FINALLY found what was causing it. I was having the same problem (hence why I am here). I narrowed it down to settings>privacy & security>location services>system services>system customization. The most unacceptable part of the whole thing is that this setting will never display the gray nor the purple arrow indicating that it has accessed your location recently. However, in my case, it was absolutely accessing my location. Turned that off and have not had the mysterious location arrow show up when I’m not using any apps. I hope this helps you, and everyone else having this issue!

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.