Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Let me state that I prefer iOS over all other tablet OS choices. BUT I HATE THE STARK WHITE DESIGN. Does anyone actually like the "minimalist" design of iOS 7??? Colorless, simplistic, cheap looking... Too bright!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
It's definitely an improvement but I almost think they went too flat with the whole redesign. Before the update buttons were actually buttons; now they're just colored text that you tap on. Some of the icon choices are a bit questionable as well but believe me when I say, I would never go back to iOS 6 after using iOS 7.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
I absolutely love it. I think it's a huge improvement over iOS 6 and earlier. I find it astonishing that some people refuse to upgrade.

So to be clear, I'm asking about the look, not necessarily the functionality. Do you really enjoy the flat white look?

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Me too. It's an absolutely wonderful OS and is Apple's best design yet.

People only complain for complaining's sake.

So do you not like layers of complexity and dimension? You really prefer flat white? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I want to understand... I want to like the look and feel, but hate it and feel it was areal step backward.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
It's awful that is why I stuck with ios6

Why is it awful? The look? The overall experience? Explain yourself better because the OP ask "Does anyone love the look of iOS 7?", and all you said was it's awful.

Are people seriously this furious about the look?

So do you not like layers of complexity and dimension? You really prefer flat white? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I want to understand... I want to like the look and feel, but hate it and feel it was areal step backward.

I do prefer flat white when it comes to these things.

It looks better with Retina display and looks wonderful with text.

I honestly think people are mad because we've had that look for since iOS 1 and they just can't stand change.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
I really like it. Very modern design.

Thanks for the reply. Pls explain, what about white and flat is modern? Wouldn't dimension and color be more "modern"? Wouldn't we want to leverage the clarity of our retina displays? Seriously, I don't get it??

----------

I honestly think people are mad because we've had that look for since iOS 1 and they just can't stand change.

Well several of us with this view started with iOS 6. Regardless, thank you for your perspective.

----------

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I mostly like iOS 7 quite a lot.

There are a few rough edges that need ironing out (http://uxcritique.tumblr.com is spot-on, and I'd add: please revert to a serif font for Reader-rendered web pages, at least as an option).

But overall it's clean, easily navigable and easy on the eyes. I prefer it to the previous, darker, "3D"-festooned iOS with its puerile skeuomorphics. Love the parallax, love the opacified fading of obscured elements, love the animations. It's responsive, intuitive, bright, friendly... and I don't get lost as much. Oh, and LOVE the bottomless folders!

I'd rate it an A-. Good stuff that can get even better.

Sorry some here don't like it.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I actually really like it! It looks gorgeous and unified on white bezel devices, though all my devices are black bezeled. I have no problem with all the white, the typography is clean and really uplifts the while OS. The only things I dislike are those nasty gradients on the icons, and more specifically the inconsistency between the gradients on safari and mail which are inversed.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Pls explain, what about white and flat is modern?

White is a design choice and no more "modern" than any other color, really. But it's the color of cleanliness, and iOS7 was above all a clean start.

What you refer to as "flat," on the other hand, is by itself very modern, because it replaces faux 3D with the parallax functionality, which leverages display, sensor and processor capabilities that didn't exist before. So-called "flat" elements float crisply over backgrounded elements, which are faded and obscured as layers are invoked. The "flat"ness is a way of intuitively indicating the elements that are in the foreground, so context is never in question. This is a very space-efficient way of providing a layered user interface on a small screen, and it's really rather innovative and I think quite nifty. In its way, flat is far more 3D than the previous rounded buttons with their artificial and static faux glint and faux shine.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
Yes, I love the look. Entirely better than the previous gen, in my opinion. iOS 6 was outdated and kitschy. iOS 7 is clean and much less distracting. Attractive and modern, but puts the emphasis on function. iOS 6 felt like party lights in the Louvre. iOS 7 is much more appropriate.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Love it, great colour and design tho still needs to get rid of the texture in notes and FMF.

Old iOS was more interested in felt and stitching with usability an afterthought.

chalkdustfairy

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Quezon City
it is aok

Maybe I have this issue of adapting to change. :)
Anyway, I like it as much as ios6. Good thing they made an upgrade a few months after they've released ios7. The zooming in and out of the icons was such a sore eye. Good thing, they have got rid of that.
:eek:

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Let me state that I prefer iOS over all other tablet OS choices. BUT I HATE THE STARK WHITE DESIGN. Does anyone actually like the "minimalist" design of iOS 7??? Colorless, simplistic, cheap looking... Too bright!

I agree with you. I don't find anything attractive or modern about iOS 7, all I see is a vacant screen begging for more.

Personally, I think this would be much more attractive. That's just my opinion though.

Sorry about the size.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Yes I love it, however I would prefer to have a black / dark theme. Having it as an option would be killer.

I personally think it's coming based on two things:

1. When you activate search (by swiping down on homescreen) notice the beautiful / darker keyboard?

2. Look at the stock FaceTime app. It's gorgeous! Beautiful black background and the lettering looks awesome over it.

That's my one gripe with iOS 7. I love everything else about it.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I don't like the flat white look. However, I do like the "frosted glass" look in the home screen's search bar, and in the new Remote app.

I'd like to see a lot more of that effect in iOS 8.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I like it too, though the change of icons was a bit of a shock at first they grew on me. I find the notification centre and the control one very useful, not found it too laggy or buggy on any of my devices, and a good natural progression of the design.

The 'outcry' about the changes reminds me of people complaining and getting upset every time Facebook had a minor facelift - but then complained when the facelift got facelifted!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.