Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm kind of torn. I think I just haven't got used to it yet. I know it sounds silly as I've been using it since the day it launched but, I'd been using the old look since 2009, so I think it will take me time to get used to it. I don't find it offensive and some aspects of it are quite pretty.

Why??????

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
I didn't assume. As someone who has been a member of this forum for several years, it stands to reason that I am probably one of those people who reads tech blogs and Apple rumor sites. As I pointed out in my last post, it's not that those polls aren't valid. It's that they sample only a small portion of Apple's customer and cannot be considered an indication of how the general public feels about the changes. It's like saying someone is going to win an election based on a poll comprised only of voters of that candidate's party.

Respectfully, it kind of sounds like you're just throwing around buzz terms Apple is using in its iOS 7 marketing materials. How are thinner letters inherently better than thicker letters? How does that help me read the text, especially when I'm holding my device at a distance? The transparent menu bars are nice and all. But probably 80% of the time they are "above" a white background. I'd argue that actually makes it harder to focus on your content. Most content is black text on a white background. And now the UI is mainly black/blue text on a background that is white most of the time. So now it is up to the user to distinguish between the two, whereas before UI elements were clearly marked. How is a UI where navigation elements and content look almost identical inherently better?

I'm not sure the two situations are entirely comparable. Blackberry's mistake as was assuming that a physical keyboard was the only important thing smartphone users care about. Blackberry users didn't switch to Apple or Android phones because they decided they hated physical keyboards. It was because Blackberry moved insanely slowly to implement all the other desirable features available on competing handsets. I know several people who miss the physical keyboard. But it doesn't make sense to own a Blackberry when it does pretty much nothing else better than other phones on the market.

Apple is definitely investing in the future with iOS 7. But I'm still not convinced that all the design changes they have made are actually for the best. Given some of the aesthetic changes Apple is making in iOS 7.1, it doesn't look like they're convinced either.

I think that you answered your own question here– the UI buttons in iOS 7 apps all have a tint colour assigned to them to differentiate between the two (in case you haven't noticed). And even if you want the borders, there's an option to turn them on in 7.1. But really, I wouldn't like that because it looks bad.

Thinner letters are better because they make it look sleeker, at least to my eyes. Yes, a lot of people say it's more difficult to read. But theres an option to thicken fonts in settings. But to people who have a normal vision, they can really appreciate having thinner fonts.

Now let's look at how they've made it easier to focus on content:
- Grouping photos in the photos app
- Full screen Safari
- Animated weather backgrounds
- Removal of unnecessary glossiness in the lock screen, so the wallpaper is at focus
- Removal of green felt in game centre, so again, the content is more in focus.

These are just a few examples.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think that you answered your own question here– the UI buttons in iOS 7 apps all have a tint colour assigned to them to differentiate between the two (in case you haven't noticed). And even if you want the borders, there's an option to turn them on in 7.1. But really, I wouldn't like that because it looks bad.

Thinner letters are better because they make it look sleeker, at least to my eyes. Yes, a lot of people say it's more difficult to read. But theres an option to thicken fonts in settings. But to people who have a normal vision, they can really appreciate having thinner fonts.

- Full screen Safari
- Removal of unnecessary glossiness in the lock screen, so the wallpaper is at focus

These are just a few examples.
How is sleeker text better? Text is for reading not appreciating how "cool" or "sleek" it looks. Seems like the wrong focus is being paid to the wrong things.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

As the poster above pointed out, "sleeker" text is not automatically better. It is harder to read, especially at a distance. Also, in situations where there is low contrast between the text and the background it is presented on (a problem that is RAMPANT in iOS 7), thin fonts make the text even harder to read. Finally, if all these changes are so fantastic, why has Apple begun including options to turn them off?

PhotosApp.png
Yeah, it's definitely WAY easier to find my photos when they are grouped like this at 4px by 4px resolution. Good job Apple.

- Full screen Safari

This is a half-improvement. Yes you do get a little extra content on screen at a time. But, it's not actually that much more than in iOS 6. In iOS 6, the address bar (120 px) disappeared completely when you scrolled down, and the bottom bar (88 px) with all the navigation and tab controls remained persistent. That left 1008 px (1136 - 88 - 40 for the status bar) for your content. Now the bottom bar disappears completely and the address bar/status bar area shrinks to 80 px, leaving 1056 px (1136 - 80) for your content. That's a gain of a whopping 48 px (or 4%) of screen height for viewing content. But, in exchange, you now lose the persistent navigation controls. While you can now swipe left/right to go back or forward, you now have to either tap the top bar or scroll up in order to access your bookmarks or other open tabs. That's not a clear improvement (it's a wash at best). Personally, I would rather trade the extra 48 px for the ability to access my other tabs more quickly.

I agree the animated backgrounds are pretty. But here, your "content" is the useful information a weather app is supposed to provide, like temperature and forecast. How does having an animated background help me focus on that information? I would argue that the unnecessary motion in the background actually distracts from reading the text on the screen. Furthermore, when it's cloudy or foggy outside, the background becomes a light grey, leading to yet another iOS 7 low contrast situation (this time it's white text on a grey background). In this case, it is definitely harder to focus on your content. In iOS 6, the current conditions were just presented with a simple (if photorealistic) glyph and the background was ALWAYS either a dark blue during the day or a dark purple at night. Now we have an inconsistent background that always has some sort of motion going on. Seems to me that it's the iOS 7 weather app that is full of unnecessary ornamentation that apparently is the root of all evil from the iOS 6 days.

I'll give you this one. It's a large improvement over the old look. Though, you do encounter some cases where the clock is very hard to read (it depends on the background). Having the glossy bars did ensure the clock was always easily legible.

Umm...I guess the big glossy bubbles are an improvement over the green felt and glossy wood bars from iOS 6. I don't really use this app though, so I don't care either way.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Love is too strong of a word but I find it solid enough. It's a tad bright in areas and could use better contrast options but I'm good with it. I'm pretty sure an OS update will give us a few more options or at least better contrast.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Love some aspects, hate others..Yet i believe with time it will evolve into something even better..I think that the general Post ios6 direction has been right but needs better implementation..Jony Ive has only recently begun doing software and bringing his design touches...I'll give him atleast till ios8 before comming to a judgement..From what i have heard from those that have known apple (or worked for them) is that it takes more than 1 year and one software to fully get your future design goals into the scheme of things..So i am willing to guess that IOS8 will also reflect a lot of the stuff JI has been thinking and wanted to get into IOS when he came aboard..

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I get a lot of feedback about the font from customers..."too thin". It's my opinion, too. Switching "Bold" on in setting helps some but makes actual bold letters impossible to discern.

I'm using Bytafont 2 with DejaVu Sans on my JB'd iPhone 5. Looks good to me.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
It's definitely an improvement but I almost think they went too flat with the whole redesign. Before the update buttons were actually buttons; now they're just colored text that you tap on. Some of the icon choices are a bit questionable as well but believe me when I say, I would never go back to iOS 6 after using iOS 7.

This was conscious decision and I appreciate the change. In the transition guide it says that users no longer need to see a button to know they can touch something. Color, when used correctly, is used to indicate interaction rather than having a border or anything. This also allows the developer to fit more text and make it larger without having to worry about leaving additional space around the text.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
This was conscious decision and I appreciate the change. In the transition guide it says that users no longer need to see a button to know they can touch something. Color, when used correctly, is used to indicate interaction rather than having a border or anything. This also allows the developer to fit more text and make it larger without having to worry about leaving additional space around the text.

That maybe how they think it works but it doesnt. With buttons you knew or know what they will do, a switch switches, a button presses. With colour and text yes it encourages interaction, interaction in a way that you have to read it to decipher what it does. This is jarring.

Buttons and switches work in the real world for a reason, or maybe we should have coloured text for door handles and taps and light switches?

The problem is firther confounded with inconsistency between apps.

Blue text for one app, red text for another, just to tell you what app your in because they all look the same, white.

With buttons the app resembled an object and was differentiated because of its design. It was as if the whole object the iphone, morphed into a new object, the item your using. Now its just a slab of iphone with different colours which makes you read everything to do something.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And yet they are adding an option to make the text darker on controls and put button shapes around it, clearly realizing that it's needed for one reason or another, meaning their original design wasn't a very good one after all.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
and notification center now requires way to many slides left and right to view and do stuff. The simplicity has gone.

Wheres the pull down its there, read, delete, goto option?

Now its slide down, slide right, choose someting, slide down slide left delete something, choose something, slide down slide right.

its more moves, its more hassle, its not simple and concise.

And the weather was much better and easier to see in ios6 and people I know loved it. They loved to see the weather and now they have to read it.

The dock is also crap. People I know love the lock of that in ios6 and osx. Now we have a band of plain crap. And god forbid you set a red wallpaper as you end up with a pink dock.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Jony Ive said word for word that this is the beginning in the ios 7 promo video. So yes his vision takes more than 8 months to develop.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
and notification center now requires way to many slides left and right to view and do stuff. The simplicity has gone.

Wheres the pull down its there, read, delete, goto option?

Now its slide down, slide right, choose someting, slide down slide left delete something, choose something, slide down slide right.

its more moves, its more hassle, its not simple and concise.

And the weather was much better and easier to see in ios6 and people I know loved it. They loved to see the weather and now they have to read it.

The dock is also crap. People I know love the lock of that in ios6 and osx. Now we have a band of plain crap. And god forbid you set a red wallpaper as you end up with a pink dock.
To be fair, with the new notification center you might need a swipe or two, but not really more than that, and certainly not like dozen or half a dozen swipes.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
To be fair, with the new notification center you might need a swipe or two, but not really more than that, and certainly not like dozen or half a dozen swipes.

Its a dozen or so because it stays where you left it. so your constantly swiping back and forth between two screens = more moves, more hassle

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its a dozen or so because it stays where you left it. so your constantly swiping back and forth between two screens = more moves, more hassle
So a dozen swipes to go between two views? I mean I get what you are saying bit over exaggerating doesn't really help much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.