Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
iOS 7 is bad for people with vision problem I guess or Jony Ives forgot about them? :apple:

There are plenty of accessibility options for the vision impaired, which are almost certainly better and more accessible than some kind of compromised design trying to cater for everybody. Nobody's been forgotten.

----------

Thanks. Looking back the music does look a bit better. What I like most is the volume slider. But I would still stay with iOS 7.

I actually don't agree, I've really warmed to the way music looks in IOS 7. I like the much more accessible controls from the lock screen too (no more messing around with double clicking).

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Here you go...I love this look. I have a iPhone 5 on IOS 6.1.4

Can you show me what it looks like in IOS 7

azu4edet.jpg

melissapete24

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
What what whaaaaaat.

You're not allowed near apple stuff again.

Ridiculous.

----------

Yeah, ok.

Just because you disagree doesn't mean those who don't have the same opinion as you are wrong. Unless you're just being sarcastic, then, hey, sarcasm is my second language, so I'm cool with that! :D And, sorry, but I have an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and MacBook (late-2009 white unibody). I will never use anything BUT Apple! XD All other stuff is just...meh. :p

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Overall iOS 7 looks cleaner, and it's nice that 7 has forced developers to make better looking apps, but there's just some UI elements that are questionable, and some of the apps are WORSE in iOS 7.

Example: Reminders is the biggest pile of crap ever developed. Not an exaggeration.

And the whole accelerometer depth thing (including parallax) got old quick. It just feels gimmicky.

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I think iOS7 is going to the right direction.
However it's badly implemented.

Font is too thin and needs some depth on the bezel. The design is too flat overall and the icons are ugly as ****.
The whole thing is not as intuitive as before.

Give Apple sometime to fix those things and then we'll judge again.

Right now, iOS6 still wins

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Having now spent some time with IOS7 on an iPhone 5 I can say that functionally the OS is an improvement.

However, the GUI is inconsistent and not easy on the eyes. This is a step backwards. I would not call this clean, I would call it devoid of form. Everything seems to run on and there is little delineation. Its not even about color choices.

I will bet you will see IOS 8 return a lot this to the OS. I doubt Apple will backtrack on IOS 7, that would mean admitting they went too far…and that's not going to happen despite all the complaints from users.

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
Generally. I just updated today and some things feel awkward, but overall the design is very sleek and attractive.

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Having now spent some time with IOS7 on an iPhone 5 I can say that functionally the OS is an improvement.

However, the GUI is inconsistent and not easy on the eyes. This is a step backwards. I would not call this clean, I would call it devoid of form. Everything seems to run on and there is little delineation. Its not even about color choices.

I will bet you will see IOS 8 return a lot this to the OS. I doubt Apple will backtrack on IOS 7, that would mean admitting they went too far…and that's not going to happen despite all the complaints from users.

agree, but it will never go back to iOS6 design again, even with iOS8, as long as Ive still is there. iOS and probably OSX are gonna suck until he retires.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
agree, but it will never go back to iOS6 design again, even with iOS8, as long as Ive still is there. iOS and probably OSX are gonna suck until he retires.

No, iOS 7 seems to be based on current modern "flat ui" it will probably evolve as time passes, just like iOS 1-6. Even the iPhone itself is less glossy than it used to be.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Let me state that I prefer iOS over all other tablet OS choices. BUT I HATE THE STARK WHITE DESIGN. Does anyone actually like the "minimalist" design of iOS 7??? Colorless, simplistic, cheap looking... Too bright!

Yup. I like it. It looks fresh and modern.

The white doesn't bother me, in fact, it increases the contrast for the text against the background.

Can't you turn down your brightness?

--

Of course, its not all perfect. For example, the photo above - looks a mess.

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
For the most part loving ios 7 just don't like the new look of iBooks.

agree, how can we love books without a bookshelf? Skeuomorphism is part of our lives. We can reduce it but we can't eliminate it, then we'll lose context.

Why??????

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
If you like really thin-lined button symbols, thin fonts, white and the < and > symbols then it's great.

Those "<>" symbols are called chevrons.

----------

OS7 is blinding in semi-dark or dark environments. That’s a step backward. Give me back the Corinthian leather and burled wood look, combined with glossy, gumdrop-like dimensional icons.

Scott Forstall? Is that you?

----------

That has nothing to do with the look. IOS 7 could look like IOS6 and add those features.

----------

Fad…says who? Jony Ive should simply not be designing interfaces. Bring back Scott in this regard.

BTW..Apple stole ideas from the Jailbreak community regarding why IOS in general was not up to par. Lets not applaud their ingenuity on many IOS changes. Although, I do give them 100% credit for all the bugs, and weirdness in IOS7.

lol

A lot of people like iOS 7. If you want iOS to stay five years backwards and let it go the way of blackberry, then yeah, bring back those tacky textures and the static interface.

People are now used to touch screens– they don't need a metaphor to help them. The novelty of having textures quickly dies down as people use them. What then? They'll be nothing more than distractions.

It's 2014, and in case you haven't noticed, people were tired of the look of iOS since 2011. Those old looks have died. Interfaces evolve. iOS 7.1 is fixing the bugs. And don't forget, iOS 7 also brings a lot of API changes and more than that. As to how they stole those from jailbreakers is beyond me.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Here you go...I love this look. I have a iPhone 5 on IOS 6.1.4

Can you show me what it looks like in IOS 7

iOS 6 music app looks much better than iOS 7

but personally I prefer the look of iOS 1-5 music app.

Attachments

• Audio-Book.jpg
    Audio-Book.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 96

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Why?????? said:
A lot of people like iOS 7. If you want iOS to stay five years backwards and let it go the way of blackberry, then yeah, bring back those tacky textures and the static interface.

What makes textures tacky? I think this is one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" kind of things. Personally, I loved all the textures as they really showed off the retina display and the incredible level of detail it could show. I'd argue that the gaudy neon colors on white backgrounds and cartoony icons found in iOS 7 are far more tacky than any linen texture ever was. But it's totally matter of personal taste.

People are now used to touch screens– they don't need a metaphor to help them. The novelty of having textures quickly dies down as people use them. What then? They'll be nothing more than distractions.

I'll give you that some people are used to touch screen interfaces. I still don't understand why that means they suddenly don't want visual cues to help indicate how to use the OS. I have been jailbreaking iPhones since the iOS 1.1 days and even I find myself missing the buttons of iOS 6. Why? Because by removing the buttons, Apple has also decreased the surface area of many tapable UI elements. Aesthetic arguments aside (I also think the lack of buttons looks ugly), any change that makes the OS harder to use is a step backward. Period.

It's 2014, and in case you haven't noticed, people were tired of the look of iOS since 2011. Those old looks have died. Interfaces evolve. iOS 7.1 is fixing the bugs. And don't forget, iOS 7 also brings a lot of API changes and more than that. As to how they stole those from jailbreakers is beyond me.

False. Most of the people on tech blogs and web boards like this one have been tired of the old look since 2011. Almost all of my family and friends who are not technically inclined detest the new look, some to the point where the refuse to upgrade their devices and will look at other phone brands the next time their contract is up for renewal. You can't take the opinions expressed by people who read every Apple rumor and watch every keynote as representative of all Apple customers. And you can't really take the number of people who have upgraded to iOS 7 as representative of how many people really like it since downgrading is not an option. The new features are nice. But, I imagine if you polled everyone who has upgraded and asked them if they wish they could go back to iOS 6, a sizable fraction would say yes.

You are right that interfaces do (and should) evolve. But iOS 7 is a pretty stark visual break with what has come before, and many of the UI changes just feel like they are there because Ive wanted to make it different from iOS 6. Just because something changes doesn't automatically make it better than what came before. It is true that iOS 7 is a step forward in a lot of ways. But many of the UI changes are extremely questionable.

Why??????

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
What makes textures tacky? I think this is one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" kind of things. Personally, I loved all the textures as they really showed off the retina display and the incredible level of detail it could show. I'd argue that the gaudy neon colors on white backgrounds and cartoony icons found in iOS 7 are far more tacky than any linen texture ever was. But it's totally matter of personal taste.

I'll give you that some people are used to touch screen interfaces. I still don't understand why that means they suddenly don't want visual cues to help indicate how to use the OS. I have been jailbreaking iPhones since the iOS 1.1 days and even I find myself missing the buttons of iOS 6. Why? Because by removing the buttons, Apple has also decreased the surface area of many tapable UI elements. Aesthetic arguments aside (I also think the lack of buttons looks ugly), any change that makes the OS harder to use is a step backward. Period.

False. Most of the people on tech blogs and web boards like this one have been tired of the old look since 2011. Almost all of my family and friends who are not technically inclined detest the new look, some to the point where the refuse to upgrade their devices and will look at other phone brands the next time their contract is up for renewal. You can't take the opinions expressed by people who read every Apple rumor and watch every keynote as representative of all Apple customers. And you can't really take the number of people who have upgraded to iOS 7 as representative of how many people really like it since downgrading is not an option. The new features are nice. But, I imagine if you polled everyone who has upgraded and asked them if they wish they could go back to iOS 6, a sizable fraction would say yes.

You are right that interfaces do (and should) evolve. But iOS 7 is a pretty stark visual break with what has come before, and many of the UI changes just feel like they are there because Ive wanted to make it different from iOS 6. Just because something changes doesn't automatically make it better than what came before. It is true that iOS 7 is a step forward in a lot of ways. But many of the UI changes are extremely questionable.

Instead of assuming, why don't you actually read a poll? There have been polls here, and elsewhere on the net. Why don't you read them? Why do you have to assume?

iOS 7 is definitely not 100%, but it's a lot better than iOS 6. My family prefers iOS 7 to 6, so I'll agree that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But textures and ornaments have their novelty wear out pretty quickly, and it'll just be mainly functionality and content which is what matters. That's where iOS 7 shines. There's enhanced typography and more efficient ways of interacting with content.

It's stark, but it's not static. The toolbars, menus, status bars, and more stuff always change based on the content beneath them. The z-dimension is no longer expressed using static shadows, but rather dynamically moving elements that respond to motion. This helps keep the user in the context of what he's doing, and doesn't disrupt what he's doing as well.

There will definitely be people who hate the change, as you've pointed out. But there are people who wanted the change. This change is basically the progression of touch interfaces. Before we needed textures and metaphors because interacting with a pane of glass was new to most. And textures also clouded the low dpi displays. But that has changed: smartphones are now extremely popular and pixel sizes have reduced by more than half.

An example of why a company shouldn't bet on the past is blackberry. There were people who swore by physical keyboards, so blackberry remained with them and didn't embrace touch interfaces until much later on. Now look at their state and tell me how they are. They catered for the past, and tried to service those people, and now they're in a dire state. Do you want that to happen to Apple?

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
Does anyone love the look of iOS 7?

I just wish the dial on the music player wasn't so tiny now. Very hard to fast forward or rewind .

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Instead of assuming, why don't you actually read a poll? There have been polls here, and elsewhere on the net. Why don't you read them? Why do you have to assume?

I didn't assume. As someone who has been a member of this forum for several years, it stands to reason that I am probably one of those people who reads tech blogs and Apple rumor sites. As I pointed out in my last post, it's not that those polls aren't valid. It's that they sample only a small portion of Apple's customer and cannot be considered an indication of how the general public feels about the changes. It's like saying someone is going to win an election based on a poll comprised only of voters of that candidate's party.

iOS 7 is definitely not 100%, but it's a lot better than iOS 6. My family prefers iOS 7 to 6, so I'll agree that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But textures and ornaments have their novelty wear out pretty quickly, and it'll just be mainly functionality and content which is what matters. That's where iOS 7 shines. There's enhanced typography and more efficient ways of interacting with content.

It's stark, but it's not static. The toolbars, menus, status bars, and more stuff always change based on the content beneath them. The z-dimension is no longer expressed using static shadows, but rather dynamically moving elements that respond to motion. This helps keep the user in the context of what he's doing, and doesn't disrupt what he's doing as well.

Respectfully, it kind of sounds like you're just throwing around buzz terms Apple is using in its iOS 7 marketing materials. How are thinner letters inherently better than thicker letters? How does that help me read the text, especially when I'm holding my device at a distance? The transparent menu bars are nice and all. But probably 80% of the time they are "above" a white background. I'd argue that actually makes it harder to focus on your content. Most content is black text on a white background. And now the UI is mainly black/blue text on a background that is white most of the time. So now it is up to the user to distinguish between the two, whereas before UI elements were clearly marked. How is a UI where navigation elements and content look almost identical inherently better?

There will definitely be people who hate the change, as you've pointed out. But there are people who wanted the change. This change is basically the progression of touch interfaces. Before we needed textures and metaphors because interacting with a pane of glass was new to most. And textures also clouded the low dpi displays. But that has changed: smartphones are now extremely popular and pixel sizes have reduced by more than half.

An example of why a company shouldn't bet on the past is blackberry. There were people who swore by physical keyboards, so blackberry remained with them and didn't embrace touch interfaces until much later on. Now look at their state and tell me how they are. They catered for the past, and tried to service those people, and now they're in a dire state. Do you want that to happen to Apple?

I'm not sure the two situations are entirely comparable. Blackberry's mistake as was assuming that a physical keyboard was the only important thing smartphone users care about. Blackberry users didn't switch to Apple or Android phones because they decided they hated physical keyboards. It was because Blackberry moved insanely slowly to implement all the other desirable features available on competing handsets. I know several people who miss the physical keyboard. But it doesn't make sense to own a Blackberry when it does pretty much nothing else better than other phones on the market.

Apple is definitely investing in the future with iOS 7. But I'm still not convinced that all the design changes they have made are actually for the best. Given some of the aesthetic changes Apple is making in iOS 7.1, it doesn't look like they're convinced either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.